PDA

View Full Version : What weapons will we be using in AC:Victory?

topeira1980
12-15-2014, 05:37 PM
from the victory screenshots there was no way to tell what is the main weapon of the protagonist.

it seems intentional. even in the combat scene on the carriege there is visible weapon.

so will victory still be a melee combat game like ACU or will it have more gun play?

i seriously hope for the former. i think the melee in ACU is a huge step forward in how combat should play and i hope for faster and less pattern like enemies in the future, and i think that gun play in ACU doesnt work and the game isnt catered for it, but the 18th century is where melee weapons, especially two handed, were gone and the revolvers took melee weapon's place... so im worried.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Hope I can beat the hell out of people with a cane.

GoldenBoy9999
12-15-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm excited for guns but I'm sure there will still be melee combat.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Well the grappling hook is clearly going to be the focus point of the game in terms of weapons / tools. I bet that the grappling hook will make its way onto the box art. In terms of guns, I hope Ubisoft nerf the guards so they don't hit you 99% of the time even when you are running through crowds and are climbing. They should bring back the human shield but make it harder to execute. You will get a revolver, but hopefully they will retain the sword melee combat as the majority of AC Unity's combat is great.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 05:51 PM
I doubt the grappling hook will be the focus point.

It'll be like the rope dart in AC3. It's the 'new tool' but everyone will focus on the tomahawk/phantomblade/dualhiddenblade/etc.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 05:56 PM
The rope dart was just an assassination tool.
The grappling hook is going to be used for parkour and combat.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Hope it's not as useless as the hook blade or whip.

OH I CAN CLIMB ONE FOOT HIGHER

OH I CAN SWING ACROSS THINGS I USUALLY CAN ALREADY SWING ACROSS

If you can like swing around with free control of where you're swingin, that'd be fun.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Yea what would be cool is if instead of having rope / line things connecting buildings together, you can just swing across the street. That would be really helpful and would look pretty awesome.
What I want more though is for the grappling hook to be smooth and non-glitchy, but I doubt that won't happen tbh

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 06:02 PM
would be great if the swinging was as fast paced as the bird flying mechanic in ToKW

Only less contextual/automatic

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 06:03 PM
The rope dart is severely underrated.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 06:05 PM
its extremely contextual.

I barely am on a branch/wire to use it.

and no point in using it in combat when pressing x repeatedly does the job just fine

GoldenBoy9999
12-15-2014, 06:05 PM
I think it will have more purpose than the hook blade or whip. In that one screenshot of Victory he's using it to swing far. We just have to hope it wasn't super contextual and that it's not scripted. It reminds me of the ropes in AC4 and ACRo so far.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 06:06 PM
The rope dart is severely underrated.

I use it when I fight. :cool:

@Mayrice

Yeah! Beat them gunmen with our fearsome cane. :rolleyes:

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Hopefully the grappling hook can attach to almost anything

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 06:12 PM
its extremely contextual.

I barely am on a branch/wire to use it.

and no point in using it in combat when pressing x repeatedly does the job just fine

You don't need a branch/wire to use it. You can use it anywhere, literally.

You can pull a guard in front towards you and stealth kill him. Pull a guard in front towards your bush and stealth kill him.

Toss guards like snipers off a rooftop/balcony.

Silently choke guards from any higher platform. Use wire/branches to hang a guard to lure others even. Hell, pull a guard towards you for an air assassination. If you time it right, you can get two.

In combat, you can tool counter, double tool kill, or throw a guard down with it. It makes combat quicker and more fluid if you time it right. It's especially handy since doing the following with pistols will attract more nearby guards.

It's the most practical, unique, and versatile stealth tool I've used in a stealth game.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Use it anywhere literally?

I feel like that would be a pain in the *** when taking the building structures and physics engine into account.

but im not a dev so I wouldnt know.

also, is it realistic for it to be usable on anything?

bah, ah well. As long as it's functional and fun I guess it doesnt matter.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
I feel like that would be a pain in the *** when taking the building structures and physics engine into account.

The physics when tossing guards off rooftops kind of did went of the window in AC:IV/RO...

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 06:19 PM
The physics when tossing guards off rooftops kind of did went of the window in AC:IV/RO...

And it's always hilarious :rolleyes:

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 06:21 PM
It will probably be implemented in a similar way to the Arkham series which is done extremely well. Hopefully, if the grappling hook is as significant as I think it will be, it will be done well.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Nothing in AC is ever done extremely well.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 06:29 PM
^ True dat

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 06:29 PM

I never realized how sad and true this is.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 06:32 PM
The weird thing is, nothing is ever done extremely well, yet its my favourite gaming franchise and I love every game despite their inevitable faults...

Matknapers18
12-15-2014, 06:34 PM
This.

http://www.bestmoviesbyfarr.com/static-assets/images/articles/background/2014/05/2-11l2hfj.gif

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 06:37 PM
This.

http://www.bestmoviesbyfarr.com/static-assets/images/articles/background/2014/05/2-11l2hfj.gif

lmfao yes

@m4r

yes but when you have 10+ installments, you'd think you'd get something done extremely well.

rrebe
12-15-2014, 06:39 PM
This.

You sir got my vote :cool:

Shahkulu101
12-15-2014, 06:42 PM
They create cities extremely well, especially Paris. Although the point still stands, if we're talking mechanics only.

m4r-k7
lmfao yes

@m4r

yes but when you have 10+ installments, you'd think you'd get something done extremely well.

Actually they do to something extremely well.
They manage to pull off recreating historical cities in an almost 10/10 fashion IMO. No other game even attempts giving us a historical open world. You can't argue that. The cities are magnificent.

JustPlainQuirky
I suppose.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 06:45 PM

The Truth Pt.3 :rolleyes:

Matknapers18
12-15-2014, 06:50 PM
I feel like the naval stuff is done extremely well in AC. When it is done of course. As far as Im concerned, AC4 has the best naval combat in a video game ever. Bare in mind that I haven't played Rogue yet. Is it actually improved? looked the same to me.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 07:05 PM
I feel like the naval stuff is done extremely well in AC. When it is done of course. As far as Im concerned, AC4 has the best naval combat in a video game ever. Bare in mind that I haven't played Rogue yet. Is it actually improved? looked the same to me.

It's about the same, just tweaked to feel different, added new tools, and enemies may now board you when they ram you. Also, ice bergs plays a role in your navigation and naval combat in the North Atlantic. It's not the significant difference AC:IV's was to 3, but it's noticeable.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Ah, true.

The naval is the best naval I've ever seen in a videogame.

But it's not a naval franchise so...

rob.davies2014
12-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Sword cane.
http://casiberia.com/img/prod/sh2131.jpg

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Sword cane.

I was thinking of this, actually.

I want it.

Kill templars with class

Derp43
12-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Easy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/Colt_Navy_Model_1851.JPG/300px-Colt_Navy_Model_1851.JPG

RinoTheBouncer
12-16-2014, 02:04 AM
Sword cane.

The Strain ;)
Great idea. It would be interesting in a sequence similar to that of Haytham, when you’re in a party, dressed all classy and suddenly, you wreak havoc.

Easy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/Colt_Navy_Model_1851.JPG/300px-Colt_Navy_Model_1851.JPG

"My love’s a revolver, my sex is a killer. Do you wanna die happy? do you wanna die happy? I shoot ‘em bang bang!” - Revolver, Madonna

Altair1789
12-16-2014, 02:57 AM
According to the pictures, throwing knives are returning (:D). I don't know about the protagonist's main weapon, but canes seem interesting

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 02:57 AM
I found this from the same place I got my avatar:
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--R20DSYnp--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ycp10lkgw1rh2dtuwttt.jpg
I want this in the game! ^^

MegaRock35
12-16-2014, 03:18 AM

False. I have never seen a franchise that nails the "professional killers named after birds wearing extremely conspicuous outfits that include occasionally-beaked hoods while fighting anachronistic knights that control the world" concept as well as Assassin's Creed does. Easily in my top five series that do that.

OT: Maybe ol' Victor is a pugilist? He looked like he was fist-fighting carriage guy, something that got rid of in Unity. You'd think that in an era where guns were so widespread, you wouldn't walk around with an obvious. At least not if you wanted to blend in. Failing that and the cane option mentioned, Wikipedia states that the umbrella came into fashion during the Victorian period as swords fell out of style.That would certainly be an interesting choice of weapon. Maybe they could bring back the umbrella gun, too, but like... actually a gun this time.

SirTookTookIII
12-16-2014, 04:54 AM
I know there is a grappling hook in Far Cry 4, might work in a similar way.

king-hailz
12-16-2014, 06:37 AM
I doubt the grappling hook will be the focus point.

It'll be like the rope dart in AC3. It's the 'new tool' but everyone will focus on the tomahawk/phantomblade/dualhiddenblade/etc.

Actually I think it will be a focus point because if you look at the screenshot you can see it has the assassins insignia like connors tomahawk so... I think it will be focused as mumuch as that.

king-hailz
12-16-2014, 06:38 AM
I know there is a grappling hook in Far Cry 4, might work in a similar way.

Oh god please no! That was terrible...

shobhit7777777
12-16-2014, 02:19 PM
I'd like to pull out ALL of my weapons from a Top Hat. It'd be awesome to see Chauncey tip his topper, casually pull a blunderbuss out of it and blast a monocled d-bag into oblivion.

rob.davies2014
12-17-2014, 05:08 AM
If there are swords, I hope they come with scabbards. I've been wanting scabbards for a long time now :(

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2014, 10:28 AM
False. I have never seen a franchise that nails the "professional killers named after birds wearing extremely conspicuous outfits that include occasionally-beaked hoods while fighting anachronistic knights that control the world" concept as well as Assassin's Creed does. Easily in my top five series that do that.

Same here, but the whole concept practically plummeted into a parody, filled with black and white morality, almost mistakenly written by Walt Disney, and plagued by Scooby Doo after AC:1 up to AC:R.

Even the concept, itself, have had its ups and downs for me.

MegaRock35
12-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Same here, but the whole concept practically plummeted into a parody, filled with black and white morality, almost mistakenly written by Walt Disney, and plagued by Scooby Doo after AC:1 up to AC:R.

Even the concept, itself, have had its ups and downs for me.

Yeah, the market for bird-themed knight-fighting killers is in decline, sadly. Before long we'll have to settle for assassins with bird names but are actually inconspicuous and don't attack knights. It's a shame.