PDA

View Full Version : One step forward, four steps back...

mrbrightside2011
12-15-2014, 05:31 PM
I've been a massive fan of the AC series for years and they're the only games I actually make the effort to buy on their day of release. AC Unity was no exception and I even pre-ordered the game several months in advance, so impressed was I by the footage I had seen early doors. However, having now spent a couple of weeks running around Paris, I've become increasingly angry at the massive backwards steps the developers appear to have taken when tweaking the various aspects of gameplay.

First off, I really like the new combat controls. The simple 'kill button' dynamics of AC3 and Black Flag did get a bit repetitive and you definitely need a bit more skill when taking on multiple enemies in Unity. However, why have they taken away the ability to fight either barehanded or using just your hidden blade? Even more frustratingly, given that almost every single bad guy in Unity appears to carry a gun, why has the ability to use an enemy as a human shield been removed? This was a great addition to gameplay in the last two AC games and taking it away makes no sense. I'm sick of dying in combat because it's so difficult to avoid being shot.

Secondly, the addition of a stealth mode is welcome, though it does make you wander why a series that is supposed to be all about stealth did not have this built in years ago. However, whilst you can now crouch behind things and shelter behind walls like a true assassin (when the cover option actually works), you no longer have the ability to attract enemies to your position by whistling/whispering. I mean, seriously? Again, a really useful feature that's been there for years is gone without any real explanation. Sure you can attract enemies to your last known position by being spotted, but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? It's not helped by the fact that the enemy AI is unbelievably, mind-blowingly dumb. So dumb. Like Forrest Gump meets Homer Simpson dumb.

Finally, the parkour. Oh, the parkour. The 'parkour down' button rocks. Well done. But I'm still climbing up walls and lampposts and carts and chimneys, when all I want to do is push past them. Why is this so hard? What's the point in having a 'parkour up' option if Arno climbs up most things anyway?

You know, I'm willing to ignore the contempt that Ubisoft had for it's customers by locking a load of the game's content behind various online features. I'll maybe forgive them for releasing a game that was so full of glitches that I still occasionally have to turn it off because it's crashed in some weird and wonderful way (yep, and that's three patches in). However, is it not about time that they actually got the controls right and stopped messing with things that actually work?

Jackdaw951
12-15-2014, 06:11 PM
First off, I really like the new combat controls. The simple 'kill button' dynamics of AC3 and Black Flag did get a bit repetitive and you definitely need a bit more skill when taking on multiple enemies in Unity. However, why have they taken away the ability to fight either barehanded or using just your hidden blade? Even more frustratingly, given that almost every single bad guy in Unity appears to carry a gun, why has the ability to use an enemy as a human shield been removed? This was a great addition to gameplay in the last two AC games and taking it away makes no sense. I'm sick of dying in combat because it's so difficult to avoid being shot.

The best argument I've read is that the human-shield option was too unrealistic. Whether you buy that or not, as you progress through the game, you'll get more health and more armor, some specifically for ranged attacks. The one thing that Unity does right is the huge range of improvements that you make to Arno--very RPG-like. And they're not easy either. They are expensive and most have prerequisites that you need to complete before unlocking them (aside from your very valid criticism about online-locked stuff). By the time you grow your character to his full potential, you'll be very difficult to kill by anything but a volley of ranged attacks. (And if you let yourself get ambushed like that, you deserve a death.)

Secondly, the addition of a stealth mode is welcome, though it does make you wander why a series that is supposed to be all about stealth did not have this built in years ago. However, whilst you can now crouch behind things and shelter behind walls like a true assassin (when the cover option actually works), you no longer have the ability to attract enemies to your position by whistling/whispering. I mean, seriously? Again, a really useful feature that's been there for years is gone without any real explanation. Sure you can attract enemies to your last known position by being spotted, but that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? It's not helped by the fact that the enemy AI is unbelievably, mind-blowingly dumb. So dumb. Like Forrest Gump meets Homer Simpson dumb.

The most entertaining way to handle this deficiency is kill one guy out in the open, sneakily. Hide again quick. Let a guard come investigate. Kill him, hide. Repeat for a hilarious pile of bodies.

Finally, the parkour. Oh, the parkour. The 'parkour down' button rocks. Well done. But I'm still climbing up walls and lampposts and carts and chimneys, when all I want to do is push past them. Why is this so hard? What's the point in having a 'parkour up' option if Arno climbs up most things anyway?

Agreed to the hilt. Give us an EXCLUSIVE-RUN button or button combo, please! Don't jump; don't climb; just RUN.

You know, I'm willing to ignore the contempt that Ubisoft had for it's customers by locking a load of the game's content behind various online features. I'll maybe forgive them for releasing a game that was so full of glitches that I still occasionally have to turn it off because it's crashed in some weird and wonderful way (yep, and that's three patches in). However, is it not about time that they actually got the controls right and stopped messing with things that actually work?

You're more forgiving than I am. I had not thought of it as "contempt" before, but you may be right. They have to know that we don't want this, but they push it through anyway because of some sort of corporate agenda to force online on all of us.

Assassin_M
12-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Human Shields basically gave you an OP ability that completely negates the shooters. Just press a button and poof, it's all gone. It wasn't unrealistic but it was OP, you can still dodge bullets, though but it's more difficult, which is awesome.

Cherry bombs. They attract guards.

Let go of the high profile button for a split second so you don't climb up things, simple.

mrbrightside2011
12-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't necessarily think the human shield was too unrealistic; if you're surrounded by a bunch of bad guys and one of them pulls a gun, I think the least you would so is pull one of them in front of you to protect yourself! I know dodging bullets is possible but it feels weird suddenly breaking into a series of forward rolls mid-combat.

The most entertaining way to handle this deficiency is kill one guy out in the open, sneakily. Hide again quick. Let a guard come investigate. Kill him, hide. Repeat for a hilarious pile of bodies.

You just reminded me of another thing they removed - the ability to pick up bodies! Picking up dead guys to throw them off roofs, hide them in a hay stacks or stack them up in a huge pile like a bad *** was great fun, and it's ANOTHER silly little thing that has gone without any good reason. That and stealth swim. I know there's not much swimming involved, but really?

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things I love about this game; it's visually stunning, there's loads to do and I think the RPG aspect is a great addition. However, when you start to look at all the things they've taken away, small as some of them may be, it actually adds up to quite a large step backwards.

Jackdaw951
12-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Human Shields basically gave you an OP ability that completely negates the shooters. Just press a button and poof, it's all gone. It wasn't unrealistic but it was OP, you can still dodge bullets, though but it's more difficult, which is awesome.

Let go of the high profile button for a split second so you don't climb up things, simple.

Yeah, that was it. Not so much unrealistic as OP.

Is that what those bombs are good for? I was using them to scare bullies, until I realized all I had to do was brandish a weapon.

Uh, that doesn't really work. It should. I've also tried running with B (parkour down) held, and that helps a bit. The problem with that is that you can't manipulate the camera and hold a face button at the same time without some sort of finger contortion.

D.I.D.
12-15-2014, 11:08 PM
I don't necessarily think the human shield was too unrealistic; if you're surrounded by a bunch of bad guys and one of them pulls a gun, I think the least you would so is pull one of them in front of you to protect yourself! I know dodging bullets is possible but it feels weird suddenly breaking into a series of forward rolls mid-combat.

Okay, but it's unrealistic if you have one shooter on a roof, and you keep pulling enemy after enemy as shields and the sniper keeps dutifully killing his friends for you. It's also not really workable with the new combat system. You might have a rare case where you have only one enemy near you, in which case the length of the animation and action is no big deal, but otherwise they'd either have to allow human shields to interrupt the new tendency towards multiple attacks or they would have to allow attackers to hit you while the human shield animation ran its course. Players would be infuriated, watching their character die because of accidentally grabbing an enemy when they didn't intend to do that.

It's the kind of thing that's cool once or twice, but with severely diminishing returns the more times you see it.

You just reminded me of another thing they removed - the ability to pick up bodies! Picking up dead guys to throw them off roofs, hide them in a hay stacks or stack them up in a huge pile like a bad *** was great fun, and it's ANOTHER silly little thing that has gone without any good reason. That and stealth swim. I know there's not much swimming involved, but really?

Did you really miss these things? You say you were just reminded of them, after all.

And where would you stealth swim in Unity? The only place to swim is in the Siene. It would be a useless mechanic in Unity, and over-complicate the game. Maybe a future title that needs it will have it back again.

Altair1789
12-15-2014, 11:13 PM

I think the new bullet dodging system is good, but needs to be edited for Victory. I hate that guards can attempt to shoot you when they're not even that far away, as in melee range. Also, sometimes it either doesn't tell you a guard is shooting at you, or doesn't give you the option to dodge/parry/ etc when a guard is trying to shoot you

D.I.D.
12-15-2014, 11:15 PM
I think the new bullet dodging system is good, but needs to be edited for Victory. I hate that guards can attempt to shoot you when they're not even that far away, as in melee range. Also, sometimes it either doesn't tell you a guard is shooting at you, or doesn't give you the option to dodge/parry/ etc when a guard is trying to shoot you

This is late 1700s, though. To kill someone with a pistol, you'd want to get close to them rather than be at a distance.

I think this is only an occasional frustration because of the limited ability to choose exactly who you attack. We can point the stick in any direction and Arno will attack somebody in that direction, but if we've got 4 or 5 enemies on us at once it can be incredibly difficult to make him go for the person who is the greatest threat, i.e. the guy with a gun.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Human shield - If you want realistic, try life.
A vast majority of people play games for FUN not realism.
I agree it was bs to get rid of, it wasnt over powering at all, i got shot it past games numerous amounts of times... it had to be timed, you had to actively pause yourself and think for a split second, in unity when you see the target on you its either too late or you roll around and pray it doesnt hit you.. it usually does though because these guards and thugs have been playing COD like no ones business and are the most accurate shooters in the universe.
They are even MORE annoying when youre trying to climb and get away because you cant grab ledges while you free fall in unity.. you could at least make climbing progress in past games when rocks were thrown at you by pressing O as you fell...
If they had whistling and human shields, i wouldve enjoyed my time with the game SO much more.
They took away the FUN to try and make it hard... instead of hard they made it annoying...
I shouldnt have to alert guards, run arround in circles to lose them and hope they come to my hiding spot to get a hidden kill
and ONTOP of that, have to pray they arent the least bit alerted, because if they are yellow and walk past me while im hidden - i cant do SH**

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2014, 12:42 AM

No they dont, it makes them say 'what was that' for 20 sec then act like nothing happened, they wont budge from their spot

Altair1789
12-16-2014, 12:52 AM
This is late 1700s, though. To kill someone with a pistol, you'd want to get close to them rather than be at a distance.

I think this is only an occasional frustration because of the limited ability to choose exactly who you attack. We can point the stick in any direction and Arno will attack somebody in that direction, but if we've got 4 or 5 enemies on us at once it can be incredibly difficult to make him go for the person who is the greatest threat, i.e. the guy with a gun.

I'm a fan of equipping the weakest sword and then finding a guard-infested open area and fighting them all, and let me tell you, it's so annoying when 2 of them are swinging and 7 of them have their guns pulled out :(
It's more realistic, but it's not fun

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 01:28 AM
I'm a fan of equipping the weakest sword and then finding a guard-infested open area and fighting them all, and let me tell you, it's so annoying when 2 of them are swinging and 7 of them have their guns pulled out :(
It's more realistic, but it's not fun

You're not supposed to be fighting them all anymore. The game is trying to tell you to run away, and you're insisting on putting your head in the blender. You're going to die.

Games can only be "play it your way" up to a point. I remember Amancio used that exact phrase when promoting Revelations, and it was a completely empty phrase by the time the game arrived. There was ostensible "freedom", but in truth the only way to have any fun at all was to kill everyone. There was no resistance or reward to make stealth fun - you'd have to invent the danger in your head to experience any tension. This game gets closer than ever before to pleasing everyone, but you've still got to recognise when the odds can't be beaten.

I sometimes go the Leeroy Jenkins route, but I've never seen seven men pull their guns on me, ever. I'd got the impression that there was a hard limit on how many guns the AI could collectively train on you at once, since I think the most I've ever seen taking simultaneous aim is about 5 (including roof troops - maybe 3 in a combat group).

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 01:37 AM
No they dont, it makes them say 'what was that' for 20 sec then act like nothing happened, they wont budge from their spot
They do, you just need to throw it farther away from them, that's how it works. Throw it behind you so that they'd actually walk, they don't walk the whole distance towards the source of the sound.

Uh, that doesn't really work. It should. I've also tried running with B (parkour down) held, and that helps a bit. The problem with that is that you can't manipulate the camera and hold a face button at the same time without some sort of finger contortion.
I meant the trigger. Let go of that for a millisecond and you wont climb up things.

pirate1802
12-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Human shield - If you want realistic, try life.
A vast majority of people play games for FUN not realism.

Most ignorant comment I've read in a while. By your logic Arno should have a flying spaghetti monster pet from another dimension annihilating his enemies singlehandedly because FUN right??

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 10:36 AM

You can't throw a cherry bomb from a hiding spot.

You still climb up things.

mrbrightside2011
12-16-2014, 02:28 PM
You're not supposed to be fighting them all anymore. The game is trying to tell you to run away, and you're insisting on putting your head in the blender. You're going to die.

Games can only be "play it your way" up to a point.

But I thought that was the whole point of introducing the RPG progression? You could either pick all the heavy armour and weapons and take on missions by slashing and shooting or pick all the stealthy equipment and sneak around like a ninja?

The point I was originally trying to make was that for every 'improvement' they've made, they've also taken something away. For example, with combat, they've added the parry and made it require a bit more skill but they've then taken away unarmed/hidden blade combat. I personally think removing human shield was also a mistake but I accept that some people are happy without it.

My biggest disappointment was with the new stealth mechanics. I played Splinter Cell: Blacklist last year and absolutely loved the stealth aspect, and ACU seems to have borrowed some of the basics. However, integral to stealth in SC was the ability to hide bodies and attract enemies attention by whispering/whistling. The previous AC games had both these actions already, so its not even like the developers couldn't be bothered putting them in - they've actively taken them away.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
But I thought that was the whole point of introducing the RPG progression? You could either pick all the heavy armour and weapons and take on missions by slashing and shooting or pick all the stealthy equipment and sneak around like a ninja?

And anything inbetween. That was supposed to be the whole point - more choices of how to do missions. That was why they made the black box missions the way they are, so you have a full range of choices in terms of how to approach them. Anyone who says "you're not supposed to do it that way" is missing the whole point.

KPRage
12-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I just want the targeting line from Brotherhood back, with the arrows that slowly closed in to indicate time before the guard fired. Where the line flashes is where the bullet goes.

Jackdaw951
12-16-2014, 04:00 PM

Games can only be "play it your way" up to a point.

If you power up your character into the upgraded legendaries, and you don't artificially hold him back by equipping the weakest sword, you can fight large groups of guards into extinction, even when you're painted with ranged red crosshairs. Smoke breaks their line of sight, and incapacitates the nearest foes. Slaughter, make more smoke as needed with your reserve of 13 bombs, keep slaughtering. It works, and it's part of the game's design. So you can play to win like the grim reaper if you so wish, outside of the few instances when detection fails the mission.

I should clarify that my loadout also includes 14 medicines, 12 phantom blades, 9 berserk blades and 11 ammo for the golden pistol. Chest armor for picking fights is the legendary medieval coat, with 24 ranged armor and +16 to health. (I wear the legendary phantom coat the rest of the time.) I was using the Cinquedas sword until I got the Sword of Eden.

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 04:17 PM
You can't throw a cherry bomb from a hiding spot.
Yes, you can. If it's a bale of hay, press the crouch button before coming out, then come out on the side where no guards can see you, you'll be hiding behind it. Throw a bomb. If it's one of those little rooms, hide behind either side. Throw a bomb.

You still climb up things.
I don't know what's wrong with your controller, man but he's not supposed to climb up things when you're not pressing the trigger lol, it's always been that way.

KPRage
12-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Yes, you can. If it's a bale of hay, press the crouch button before coming out, then come out on the side where no guards can see you, you'll be hiding behind it. Throw a bomb. If it's one of those little rooms, hide behind either side. Throw a bomb.

Because that is much more efficient than whistling.

I don't know what's wrong with your controller, man but he's not supposed to climb up things when you're not pressing the trigger lol, it's always been that way.

Unfortunately, Arno still has the tendency to climb onto tables, boxes and other bits of objects just by walking into them.

Jackdaw951
12-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Nothing wrong with my controller. Arno will climb up on top of all sorts of obstacles without touching any triggers. (He shouldn't.) You were right about releasing the high-profile button just before reaching a wall, though. That does work, the times when nothing more pressing is hogging all my attention. I still want a failsafe.

You know, RT+B should do this for us already. High profile + parkour-down should imply run ahead or go down, but never go up. But it doesn't.

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Because that is much more efficient than whistling.
It's a lot more work, which is the point. You have to move and find safe spots instead of passively hiding somewhere and whistling for everyone to come to you. It's also why when you're in those rooms and assassinate someone, you get out because it's too OP to think stay in one safe haven whistling for people to come to you.

Unfortunately, Arno still has the tendency to climb onto tables, boxes and other bits of objects just by walking into them.

Nothing wrong with my controller. Arno will climb up on top of all sorts of obstacles without touching any triggers. (He shouldn't.) You were right about releasing the high-profile button just before reaching a wall, though. That does work, the times when nothing more pressing is hogging all my attention. I still want a failsafe.

You know, RT+B should do this for us already. High profile + parkour-down should imply run ahead or go down, but never go up. But it doesn't.
Small boxes and tables, That's ALWAYS been there since AC I. if it's low enough, Altair, Ezio, Edward and Connor would climb it just walking. If you're JUST walking, you SHOULD be able to avoid any obstacles in the way.

bitebug2003
12-16-2014, 04:40 PM
As I posted elsewhere I still find jumping through windows a problem especially during intense sequences

Scenario - ledge assassinating a guard

guard is standing in front of an open window (inside) and I approach the window from below (outside)

Rather than stopping to position myself at the lower ledge of the window - Arno flips up and jumps past the windows causing the guard to notice (yellow marker) - I then have to correct myself by doing the quickest option would be for me to jump through the window and then take him out.

What actually happens is I end up trying to get in the window but instead jump past it again - resulting in the guard going into attack mode, at that point I abort what I was doing and 'Vanish' and try again.

The rest of the parkour is fine for the most part (although going down he does tend to stop on everything and sometimes he refuses to drop when he should be able to)

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 04:44 PM
As I posted elsewhere I still find jumping through windows a problem especially during intense sequences

Scenario - ledge assassinating a guard

guard is standing in front of an open window (inside) and I approach the window from below (outside)

Rather than stopping to position myself at the lower ledge of the window - Arno flips up and jumps past the windows causing the guard to notice (yellow marker) - I then have to correct myself by doing the quickest option would be for me to jump through the window and then take him out.

What actually happens is I end up trying to get in the window but instead jump past it again - resulting in the guard going into attack mode, at that point I abort what I was doing and 'Vanish' and try again.

The rest of the parkour is fine for the most part (although going down he does tend to stop on everything and sometimes he refuses to drop when he should be able to)
Agreed about the windows. That exact same scenario happened to me.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Most ignorant comment I've read in a while. By your logic Arno should have a flying spaghetti monster pet from another dimension annihilating his enemies singlehandedly because FUN right??

Hm what got a better score, mario kart or Assassins Creed Unity
And what do looks and powers of a character have to do with realistic vs fun? We can jump into hay bales from 10 stories.
congrats on surpassing my ignorance with yours
Even everyones loved to hate game Assassin's Creed 3 (which had human shields and whistling) did 15 points higher on the grading scale and its city was a bunch of trees LOL :rolleyes:
Unity isn't a bad game by any stretch, its just not a fun game either.

Jackdaw951
12-16-2014, 05:54 PM

Ditto!

killzab
12-16-2014, 06:56 PM

There was supposed to be a move to assassinate guards standing at the windows... i suppose they took it out ...

http://cdn.medialib.totalxbox.com/screens/dir_411/image_41145_fit_620.jpg

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 07:12 PM
There was supposed to be a move to assassinate guards standing at the windows... i suppose they took it out ...

http://cdn.medialib.totalxbox.com/screens/dir_411/image_41145_fit_620.jpg
There may have been but that picture is just promotional so it's supposed to be stylish looking. A lot of promotional pictures have things that are not possible in game, AC II's Ezio walking through people with blades extended, ACR's Ezio ziplining with hidden blade extended, they're just that. Promotion.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2014, 08:43 PM
It's a lot more work, which is the point. You have to move and find safe spots instead of passively hiding somewhere and whistling for everyone to come to you. It's also why when you're in those rooms and assassinate someone, you get out because it's too OP to think stay in one safe haven whistling for people to come to you.

It may be op, but its effective.. if they actually MOVED to the spot the cherry bomb was thrown to check it out instead of passively look around, i would appreciate it much more...
But the first assassination mission where i had to get hidden kills i literally just ran around in circles ot get everyone to chase me, jumped in a hay bale and waited..rinse and repeat for my hidden kills objective...
I also have to think that it wouldnt have been so annoyingly noticed if they werent optional objectives to begin with...
Theres one club mission though where there are like 15 level 5 guards you have to take out at a farm...whistling woulve came in handy there especially going in as a level 2 lol

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 08:48 PM
It may be op, but its effective.. if they actually MOVED to the spot the cherry bomb was thrown to check it out instead of passively look around, i would appreciate it much more...
But the first assassination mission where i had to get hidden kills i literally just ran around in circles ot get everyone to chase me, jumped in a hay bale and waited..rinse and repeat for my hidden kills objective...
I also have to think that it wouldnt have been so annoyingly noticed if they werent optional objectives to begin with...
Theres one club mission though where there are like 15 level 5 guards you have to take out at a farm...whistling woulve came in handy there especially going in as a level 2 lol

Believe me, I thought as you at first. I was so pissed about the removal of whistling and thought cherry bombs don't work but they do. You just need to throw them farther away from your position for the guards to move towards it.

pirate1802
12-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Hm what got a better score, mario kart or Assassins Creed Unity

Never argued about that.

And what do looks and powers of a character have to do with realistic vs fun?

Everything, shame that I have to explain that. Here: would you rather have an overpowered pet which took out all your enemies in a funny way? I wouldn't, maybe you would because fun.

Games are supposed to be fun yes, but you are forgetting 'fun' is not same for everyone. And for a lot of people AC games aren't fun anymore because how freaking easy they are.

This is even ignoring the whole side argument where people said human shield was realistic, but overpowered. So yes, that comment seemed a little like a :rolleyes:moment for me.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Never argued about that.

Everything, shame that I have to explain that. Here: would you rather have an overpowered pet which took out all your enemies in a funny way? I wouldn't, maybe you would because fun.

Games are supposed to be fun yes, but you are forgetting 'fun' is not same for everyone. And for a lot of people AC games aren't fun anymore because how freaking easy they are.

This is even ignoring the whole side argument where people said human shield was realistic, but overpowered. So yes, that comment seemed a little like a :rolleyes:moment for me.

I know fun isnt the same for everyone.. thats why I used the word majority.. and in a world of consumerism, majority rules... anda majority dont find rolling around in the dirt to avoid getting shot/not even ebeing warned you are about to be shot fun
I have no super powers in watching paint dry, but watching paint dry is more fun than AC Unity combat
Also - Making something FRUSTRATING doesnt make it hard, it makes it frustrating.
Rolling seems inaffective to me, in a real life situation, id pull someone infront of my if a gun was pointed at me instead of roll around on the ground like an idiot.
They have the hard part down with taking away break defense and counters....
Now we have to time strong attacks and use parries - I LOVE THAT
The guns ruin the > fun <