PDA

View Full Version : When Alex Amancio talks about AC...

frodrigues55
12-15-2014, 04:17 AM
... I feel like he is the perfect guy to lead AC games.

So why the hell did this game end up like this?!?

I know this is probably the 1000th thread on this, but I guess we all want to vent. Maybe they will listen this time around. And should I say right now: I don't hate the game.

In fact, I pretty much love Unity, it's almost like everything I wanted it to be. That prologue alone is to die for.

But how their business plans are getting in the middle of the game is what makes me very scared for the future of the franchise.

First off, I won't be talking about how broken this game is. I play on PC but apart from that terribly annoying 10 sec freeze once in a while, my game plays smoother than Black Flag did, for some reason. I know how lucky I am on that regard and I have no ideia why, so I'll leave at that. It may all change if tomorrow's patch.

But oh my God, why are they pushing so many stuff into the game? Not the game material I mean, the other stuff. The online crap that has nothing to do with the game and they want to force upon us.

I think pretty much everyone has been hating on Initiates for years now, and their answer is to force you to use that to play your game? It makes no sense. They are trying to tie everything togehter BUT the games, and that is taking away so much from an enjoyable experience.

Did they not see it coming? Did they really thought that was fun? Because frankly, everyone here knew that would be terrible from the moment we heard the ideia. And it doesn't help the fact that everytime they release something online related, it doesn't work. It never did and it's only getting worse. So it kills me when I hear that survey asking if people want more. NO, this is a single player game, thank you. Focus on that.

Their business tatics is transparent and disrespectful. That map is overwhelming, and not in the good way.

I still haven't figured out exactly what type of chests count towards sincronization or for the district display, but finding out has been very very annoying. It's confusing and it holds me back from enjoying completing the game.

But what gets me the most is not the fact that the map is plagued with those chests that everyone knew firsthand that it would ruin the experience. It's the fact that you can't even see all collectibles unless you BUY a complete map with real money and nothing else. Now, seriously? Is this what this game has come to? Oh the good days when you could buy collectible maps with in game money. Did they forget to add this option?

Also, they are wasting resources with big beautiful cities if they tend to break the immersion every 5 seconds.

The modern day isn't helping either.

The game is always remembering me I am playing a game, which is their "brilliant" solution for the new modern day.

That Bishop person talking to me, calling me an Initiate and telling me what to do completely takes away from the experience that Arno was a real person living in the past. Abstergo is just a parody now, they have managed to ruin everything they have built in the past for the franchise. Even the Helix glitches or what the hell they call it are ruinning immersion. It would be great if they managed to incorporate that into the plot, as a first civ tecnology or something. As if Arno really experienced that, like Ezio talking to TOWCB. But nooooooo. "Run, we have to hide from Abstergo! Let's go to the WW2! Arno wasn't there but we don't really have time to explain this, we just thought it was a cool ideia!"

And let's not even mention that this whole game's goal was to find a sage, only to go "oh there it is, good job INITIATE. Bye!"

In the end, I feel their talent is being held back by some very questionable business practice that needs reviewing right now. It makes me feel bad for that team. And for Alex. I'm sure he worked with what he had but had his hands tied on what the company saw as mandatory. Integration with other mediums and all that other garbage.

They need to get back to basics. The game is too huge for its own good. Focus on telling a good story and leave all the side stuff for later. It's not what AC Is all about so don't try to make it as MMO.

I hope Victory has the chance Unity didn't.

Until then, I will be here, crying over what could have been my fave AC and hating what they are doing it with it.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 04:29 AM
Modern day aside, agreed. I feel pretty bad for Amancio AND his team, as I'm sure he didn't want to implement all of these garbage into the game, nor did he want to release it in the condition it is now. Just getting those additional 2 weeks must have been hell for them.

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, Victory will drop their plans for implementing extra online BS instead of just addressing it.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 04:32 AM
I remember all the Amancio hype.

Havent heard him say anything since Unity's release.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 05:08 AM

Seamlessness Intensifies... :rolleyes:

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-15-2014, 05:10 AM

he's probably fired

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 05:22 AM
well being responsible for a 10% drop of Ubisoft's stock would warrant a firing I imagine.

souNdwAve89
12-15-2014, 05:49 AM
lol why would he be fired? You can't put all the blame on an individual. We don't even know how the internal process of game development is at Ubisoft. And why would he have to make a statement? This is about Ubisoft as a whole, so it makes sense for a higher up to make a press statement on a product's quality.. Just because he is a Creative Director doesn't mean he doesn't have a boss to report to.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 05:50 AM
Good because I have no idea how stocks work.

I just know people associated it with the launch.

Hans684
12-15-2014, 05:56 AM
Don't need more of his talking, now we have great gameplay and a pointless story. We don't need him anymore, we need more story focus.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 06:00 AM
Don't need more of his talking, now we have great gameplay and a pointless story. We don't need him anymore, we need more story focus.

Yep, Make Victory AC2.0 and we're set. :cool:

And before anyone throws a fit at me, I'm only kidding.

SixKeys
12-15-2014, 06:09 AM
It's obvious that the app/Initiates bullcrap was the marketing team's idea. No game dev wants to lock content behind stuff they know is going to be unpopular among the players (and they must have known, because people were already criticizing Initiates and the online connectivity in AC4 last year).

I feel like this whole connectivity stuff is basically an updated version of Ubi's draconic DRM system which got lambasted back when AC2 came out. They seemingly dropped it because it wasn't preventing piracy, so now they're trying a different route: make it impossible for pirates to gain access to certain types of content without being always connected to Ubi's servers. Initiates, club competitions, companion app, all things that you have to sign up for and grind for many hours if you want to get the rewards. Like all anti-piracy measures ever, it only ends up screwing over legitimate users.

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 06:34 AM
If companies really are restricted by the $60 price tag, let them raise prices -- I'm saying this as someone for whom $60 *is* kind of a 'big deal'. If it entails the removal of microtransactions, I'm sure people can adjust.

But it's too late, I'm afraid, and they'd never force the 'dragon' back in to the 'bag', so to speak: Even if the release price were $100, there'd be *some* excuse to leave open 'alternate revenue streams', and emulate the 'F2P/mobile' system; and budgets would get even more inflated, and games even more costly to make, and on and on.

king-hailz
12-15-2014, 08:42 AM
The only way that Victory will succeed in my eyes is if ubisoft finally gets over their greed! If they realise that they have enough fans of the series and realise that they don't need a billion ways to make money from one game, only then will I see victory as a work of art created passionately by a team of workers who want to create an amazing game!

... I feel like he is the perfect guy to lead AC games.
It's not really the creative directors fault... its the people above him that we don't see.

lol why would he be fired? You can't put all the blame on an individual.
Also he could easily get fired... don't forget what happened to the guy who created the franchise...

souNdwAve89
12-15-2014, 08:59 AM
The only way that Victory will succeed in my eyes is if ubisoft finally gets over their greed! If they realise that they have enough fans of the series and realise that they don't need a billion ways to make money from one game, only then will I see victory as a work of art created passionately by a team of workers who want to create an amazing game!

It's not really the creative directors fault... its the people above him that we don't see.

Also he could easily get fired... don't forget what happened to the guy who created the franchise...

Except that's a different case? Desilets quit Ubisoft after Brotherhood shipped. He went to THQ, but they went under, and Ubisoft bought THQ Montreal. We don't even know the full details on why Desilets was fired except that it is something to do with Desilets' game called 1666, or something. So what exactly has Amancio done, in order to get fired? The game's problems are mostly on the technical level.

avk111
12-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Im just glad that those [Removed] at Ubisoft got noticed for their BS by using marketing strategies that are very deceiving in a unethical way.to sell their products.

FatiguedEnigma
12-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Yep!!! All I Hear From Now Is from that chubby cool guy.. i forgot his name .. but his The coolest guy on the team..
He talks to us .. Alex has just vanished

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 12:46 PM
...The game's problems are mostly on the technical level.

The most obvious problems are technical, but underneath that is a game that is just nowhere near the quality we've come to expect from an Assassin's Creed game. Amancio's last game was Revelations, and that was kinda lackluster, but this one is far worse.

Also, I see people saying it isn't his fault, but his name is at the top of the list of people working on it, so the buck stops with him. If people above him were to blame, he had the responsibility of making the game good despite their interference, and he failed - badly - to do that.

If he was unable to stop their interference, then he should have had his name removed from the credits. That's what I would have done, because I would not want my name to be associated with such a disaster. But he took the credit, so he deserves the blame.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Yep!!! All I Hear From Now Is from that chubby cool guy.. i forgot his name .. but his The coolest guy on the team..
He talks to us .. Alex has just vanished

Alex doesn't like to use social media, IIRC. He said that on a podcast with Initiates.

The other *cough*chubby*cough* dude is Ubi Gabe, I think.

Shahkulu101
12-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Amancio delivered on just about everything he promised gameplay wise - however he was mainly responsible for the bad story. Still, the mechanics, assassination missions and general mission design was the best in the series and Alex was at the helm of that, it just lacked a little bit of variety sometimes but he's took AC some way to being a respectable stealth game. Clearly the higher-ups pushed those online features, so you honestly can't blame him for that - or the bugs for that matter...

The main problems with the game are technical and to do with features no game dev wants in their game. And of course the story, which we can lay blame to the writing team of which Alex was a part of. We tend to lump everything on one game dev, when it all goes well it's all their work and they're (rightly) praised but we forget about the rest of the team. Same thing happens who it goes bad, we ripped Alex Hutchison apart from AC3 despite the fact the game clearly had a tumultuous development as a whole, now he and his team have just released 2014's most acclaimed shooter which goes to show it's not all about one mans contribution. Of course, he's a big part of it, but to determine how well they fulfilled their role we need to look at what their vision for the game was and how well it was delivered. Going by the ACU interviews, the gameplay vision has been delivered to a tee. The games main problems lie outside Amancio's influence.

The next few titles will refine Unity's mechanics and improve the already great blackbox missions and Amancio's influence in that department will be felt.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Amancio delivered on just about everything he promised gameplay wise - however he was mainly responsible for the bad story. Still, the mechanics, assassination missions and general mission design was the best in the series and Alex was at the helm of that, it just lacked a little bit of variety sometimes but he's took AC some way to being a respectable stealth game. Clearly the higher-ups pushed those online features, so you honestly can't blame him for that - or the bugs for that matter...

The main problems with the game are technical and to do with features no game dev wants in their game. And of course the story, which we can lay blame to the writing team of which Alex was a part of. We tend to lump everything on one game dev, when it all goes well it's all their work and they're (rightly) praised but we forget about the rest of the team. Same thing happens who it goes bad, we ripped Alex Hutchison apart from AC3 despite the fact the game clearly had a tumultuous development as a whole, now he and his team have just released 2014's most acclaimed shooter which goes to show it's not all about one mans contribution. Of course, he's a big part of it, but to determine how well they fulfilled their role we need to look at what their vision for the game was and how well it was delivered. Going by the ACU interviews, the gameplay vision has been delivered to a tee. The games main problems lie outside Amancio's influence.

The next few titles will refine Unity's mechanics and improve the already great blackbox missions and Amancio's influence in that department will be felt.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/giphymedia/media/Kc3FsPX7MWtsQ/giphy.gif

If Victory isn't written by Darby, I'd kill for him to team up with Alex on the next project.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Ain't nothing like sitting back and watching the world descend itself into chaos.

*Pulls out drink* :cool:

But yeah, Victory should be written by Darby.

Though May said he won't, I think.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 02:28 PM
The game in concept was actually perfect. Amancio was a great creative director - he knew exactly what direction to take AC in. AC Unity is a return to the franchise roots and it is clear that it was intended that way.

Its the way the concept was executed which was quite poor. For example, the new stealth mode gave us a better stealth system, however problems with the AI and cover made it almost impossible.
Around 90% of the side missions and tons of the main missions were assassination missions which were greatly welcomed back. Some of these were executed excellently whilst others weren't.
When you are on top of a building and have tools at your side and you are actually thinking about how to assassinate, thats when I love the game. When the game works, its probably one of my favourite AC titles.

Arno is actually a great character. At the begginning I loved his sarcasm and his youthfulness. However, for some reason it felt like Arno didn't get enough attention in terms of characterization. His actual character was awesome and at times I actually preferred him to Ezio, but the game didn't give him the attention he needed. It didn't feel like Arno's story half the time - I can't explain it but something was wrong in that department.

The story was standard - not good or bad so maybe Amancio is to blame for that.

What I am trying to say is that, excluding the bugs and glitches and referring to the main mechanics, AC Unity is a great game and had the potential to be the best AC game yet as the concept was there. They gave us an incredible city, probably one of my favourites and which I felt was 50x better than AC 3 and AC 4's location (for an AC game). There was tons of side missions and some great content. However, the way Ubisoft actually executed the game was below average in some departments.

For this reason, I actually think AC Victory will be the best AC game out there yet. If Victory manages to keep AC Unitys incredible elements and manages to fix the problems, it will be the best.
I am not sure if Amancio is to blame for this, as the ideas were there. AC Unity is ALOT like AC 3 in that the game had great concepts but they weren't executed sufficiently. Still loving the game of course.

Basically, the game does so much right, but it does so much wrong at the same time!

VoXngola
12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

This. Amancio isn't perfect, but he's good. He just messed up on the story part. Gameplay wise he delivered, and that's what he was talking about most of the time in his interviews anyway. He shouldn't ,and also probably wasn't, be fired. You can't blame a creative director for not being able to push out a game in a finished state if the suits above you pressure you to release it.

While I still don't like Unity because of things other than the gameplay, I still think that Unity would have gotten a much, much better reception if it had been delayed for a long amount of time in order to actually polish it. No game is bug and glitchfree, but Unity took it to whole new level, which could have been easily avoided. AC fans are one of the most passionate ones, and they can, and actually want to wait for the next game. A delay would have cause a little b*tching here and there, but look at Watch_Dogs. It got delayed by what, 6 months or something? And lo and behold, it still broke industry records.

You can blame Amancio for the bad story, and maybe even for removing things iconic to the franchise (be it the white rooms or gentle push or whatever), but not for the gameplay which seems to be the main thing he focused on during the development. And for all the things I don't like Unity for, he still delivered on the gameplay part he was so confidently talking about.

Here's hoping Amancio learns from feedback and returns for another AC game, hopefully with less pressure from the higher ups. ACR has one of the best stories in the entire franchise for me, and Alex was also the creative director for that game. I wouldn't mind him at ALL if he came back for another one.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 04:20 PM
This. Amancio isn't perfect, but he's good. He just messed up on the story part. Gameplay wise he delivered, and that's what he was talking about most of the time in his interviews anyway. He shouldn't ,and also probably wasn't, be fired. You can't blame a creative director for not being able to push out a game in a finished state if the suits above you pressure you to release it.

While I still don't like Unity because of things other than the gameplay, I still think that Unity would have gotten a much, much better reception if it had been delayed for a long amount of time in order to actually polish it. No game is bug and glitchfree, but Unity took it to whole new level, which could have been easily avoided. AC fans are one of the most passionate ones, and they can, and actually want to wait for the next game. A delay would have cause a little b*tching here and there, but look at Watch_Dogs. It got delayed by what, 6 months or something? And lo and behold, it still broke industry records.

You can blame Amancio for the bad story, and maybe even for removing things iconic to the franchise (be it the white rooms or gentle push or whatever), but not for the gameplay which seems to be the main thing he focused on during the development. And for all the things I don't like Unity for, he still delivered on the gameplay part he was so confidently talking about.

Here's hoping Amancio learns from feedback and returns for another AC game, hopefully with less pressure from the higher ups. ACR has one of the best stories in the entire franchise for me, and Alex was also the creative director for that game. I wouldn't mind him at ALL if he came back for another one.

I don't believe Amancio was responsible for AC:R's story. It was Darby McDevitt. But aside from that, I agree with you. ...Man, do I hope the higher ups reflect from this year.

But yeah, I really hope these two join up again for another game. AC:R's easily my favorite of the Ezio Trilogy, if just for the story.

VoXngola
12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't believe Amancio was responsible for AC:R's story. It was Darby McDevitt. But aside from that, I agree with you. ...Man, do I hope the higher ups reflect from this year.

But yeah, I really hope these two join up again for another game. AC:R's easily my favorite of the Ezio Trilogy, if just for the story.

I know, but don't creative directors have a hand in basically everything? Then why are people blaming Amancio for Unity's story and not Travis Stout?

Im confused. :confused:

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 04:39 PM
I know, but don't creative directors have a hand in basically everything? Then why are people blaming Amancio for Unity's story and not Travis Stout?

Im confused. :confused:

IIRC, Alex's responsible for the structure for Unity's story. He's outlined the details like Arno's character, Elise and her father's role, the French Revolution's involvement, etc, etc.

pacmanate
12-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Well Alex's vision was good. All the stuff in the game mechanic wise, side mission wise etc is brilliant.

Things that hold back Unity Imo:

1. Story - He didn't write it, it's not his fault
2. Technical issues - Again, not his fault.
3. Companion App/Initiates - Definitely not his idea either.

Im still in love with Ashraf though, I want that guy back. AC4 is amazing.

VoXngola
12-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Well Alex's vision was good. All the stuff in the game mechanic wise, side mission wise etc is brilliant.

Things that hold back Unity Imo:

1. Story - He didn't write it, it's not his fault
2. Technical issues - Again, not his fault.
3. Companion App/Initiates - Definitely not his idea either.

Im still in love with Ashraf though, I want that guy back. AC4 is amazing.

It's not just Ashraf, I want Darby and Jean back too. I think we will be seeing them in 2016 the earliest, since 2015 will be the debut of the Quebec team.

frodrigues55
12-16-2014, 12:09 AM
So I think most of us pretty much agree where the main problem lies? Alex had a great vision - and when it worked, it worked beautifully. It's those connectivity issues plaguing the game, and Ubi's incompetence in noticing where the greed line ends.

Unpopular Opinion now: I actually really liked Unity's (past) story.

Yeah, it was a bit predictable and it didn't really develop a bunch of characters, but I think it found a nice cute balance. It's not a masterpiece but it worked to me.

I liked how the assassin brotherhood was presented; I liked how both templars and assassins were dealing with different opinions amongst their own members, while one assassin and one templar managed to put their differences aside for that one goal; I liked the interactions between Arno and Elise; I liked how little the revolution messed with the main campaign... So it's all good to me apart from the modern day stuff (and how the entire game was pointless by the end).

I certainly liked it better than Black Flag's. I know, it was beautiful like everything Darby does, but I can't really connect to it for some reason. It felt like the entire campaign was nothing more than a tutorial, teaching you how to do things even by the end of the game, or merely working as an excuse to present those amazing side activities.

Anyway, back to Unity - What I missed, however, is how Arno came back to the assassins. I know this is explained through the novel, but once again, it shouldn't. It all comes back to the problem of them trying to force us to go outside the game world.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Amancio delivered on just about everything he promised gameplay wise

Like what? Other than the black box missions, I don't see anything in this game that wasn't done better in AC4. Even AC3 was better gameplay wise. The side mission design was appalling, assassination missions were all the same. It was like being back in AC1 in terms of the repetitiveness. As for stealth, they don't even have the cover system in place. As for the "great black box missions? Yes, the two or three missions that were designed that way were good, but there are far too few of them.

I mean, I don't know what game you're playing. This is not Watch Dogs. Watch Dogs had stealth mechanics that were bulletproof, and the missions were interesting and well designed (except the last one). This game, not so much.

RinoTheBouncer
12-16-2014, 12:54 AM
To be perfectly honest, I don’t care about online, gameplay mechanics, side quests, stealth or anything of that. To me, AC is 3rd person game, with characters called Assassins who fight against Templars and they existed since the times of the First Civ. and they exist in modern day, too. Modern day Assassins and Templars use the Animus to discover things that help them reach their goals in the present day. All 3 factions have had a strong influence on many well-known historical events, conspiracies and pseudo science.

As long as the games deliver a good story that revolves around that concepts and highlights each one of those factions, I’m happy. You maybe surprised, but once the credits roll, AC is over for me. I don’t usually bother collecting pointless stuff that unlock a weapon I’m not gonna need nor an outfit I’m not gonna wear. I might do some when I’m bored and motivated to do it, but that rarely happens. So with all due respect to the developers, I wish the story and the lore return to take the stage, not the backdrop. That’s why I’ve been playing AC since the very first game. I couldn’t care less if the combat is easy or hard or if I can win with the counter button only or by spamming R1 for Smoke Bombs or by sneaking in and out of the place, stealthy, nor do I care about multiplayer and online connectivity. I care about the story, the main, overarching story, the conspiracies, the glyphs, the rifts, the modern day, the first civ. and of course the historical Assassin in each game.

That’s basically what AC is to me and that’s what I pray each day that it doesn’t disappear, as from the looks of the last 2-3 games, it’s fading and being replaced by what I feel to be a totally bad move, which is self contained stories and lack of modern day, first civ., cliffhangers and interconnected-ness.

Shahkulu101
12-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Like what? Other than the black box missions, I don't see anything in this game that wasn't done better in AC4. Even AC3 was better gameplay wise. The side mission design was appalling, assassination missions were all the same. It was like being back in AC1 in terms of the repetitiveness. As for stealth, they don't even have the cover system in place. As for the "great black box missions? Yes, the two or three missions that were designed that way were good, but there are far too few of them.

I mean, I don't know what game you're playing. This is not Watch Dogs. Watch Dogs had stealth mechanics that were bulletproof, and the missions were interesting and well designed (except the last one). This game, not so much.

There aren't far too few of them, every assassination mission is blackbox and there's around 8 or 9 - I can check that for you if you want but it's more than two or three. I don't agree that each assassination mission was the same at all, they could all be approached in different ways, there was a variety in the settings apart from the fact two took place in similar palaces. I don't know where you're get the notion that the actual assassination missions in AC1 were repetitive, the complaints were lodged against the investigations not the missions themselves, which all had a unique feel to them and required observation and decision making, much like Unity's. More fundamentally, the core mechanics are actually revamped for the first time. Yes the cover system is wonky but it's far better than AC4's stealth where you can straight up pop out if bushes right in front of the guards and they won't see you. Seriously, the stealth in these games was laughably simple since the first game - Unity feels like a stealth game with it's myriad of options to just about every mission and improved AI, not to mention the fact that combat's been amped up, so you play like an Assassin and not an invincible warrior.

AC4 was a better pirate game than an Assassins Creed game, and that masked the fact that stealth and combat were still very bad as they have been in all the previous games (it's still my favourite game because well bloody pirates!). And you're right about side missions, they were pretty bad this time around, so I'll give you that for sure - although I think they were fun at first but there were far too many. I think were on entirely different wavelengths if you think AC3 was better gameplay wise, it was one of the most linear and dull campaign I've ever went through. Perhaps Unity has a lack of variety, but at least the emphasis is on player input and was much less prescriptive than previous titles. It's not perfect but it's the first time the game has took steps to actually improving the core of the game instead of masking the flaws with fancy set pieces and a power fantasy combat system. It's not a high quality action stealth game like W_D or SC but Unity is the first iteration that's close in terms of mechanics. Compare the other AC games to them, and you'll see how poor the core mechanics really were - enemies would forget who you were after you left their sight for 3 seconds, stealth was redundant (in a supposed stealth game!) as you could murder 20 guys by spamming counter. Even now they haven't got the mechanics totally right, but the direction, the vision and design of Unity is my idea of a good AC game.

And I resent the implication that I'm 'playing a different game'. No, these are my genuine interpretations of the game shared by many others and people like Sixkeys have explained the positives of the game far better than me. I think you tend to think I'm a 'fanboy' just because I like Unity and you don't, well if I was a blind fanboy why would I loathe AC3 and be so critical of the mechanics in the previous games? Leave it, yeah.

Journey93
12-16-2014, 05:23 PM
well talking isn't everything
Unity was the worst AC the historical part was boring and there was basically no MD
from the interviews he seemed like the right man but boy was I wrong

Journey93
12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don’t care about online, gameplay mechanics, side quests, stealth or anything of that. To me, AC is 3rd person game, with characters called Assassins who fight against Templars and they existed since the times of the First Civ. and they exist in modern day, too. Modern day Assassins and Templars use the Animus to discover things that help them reach their goals in the present day. All 3 factions have had a strong influence on many well-known historical events, conspiracies and pseudo science.

As long as the games deliver a good story that revolves around that concepts and highlights each one of those factions, I’m happy. You maybe surprised, but once the credits roll, AC is over for me. I don’t usually bother collecting pointless stuff that unlock a weapon I’m not gonna need nor an outfit I’m not gonna wear. I might do some when I’m bored and motivated to do it, but that rarely happens. So with all due respect to the developers, I wish the story and the lore return to take the stage, not the backdrop. That’s why I’ve been playing AC since the very first game. I couldn’t care less if the combat is easy or hard or if I can win with the counter button only or by spamming R1 for Smoke Bombs or by sneaking in and out of the place, stealthy, nor do I care about multiplayer and online connectivity. I care about the story, the main, overarching story, the conspiracies, the glyphs, the rifts, the modern day, the first civ. and of course the historical Assassin in each game.

That’s basically what AC is to me and that’s what I pray each day that it doesn’t disappear, as from the looks of the last 2-3 games, it’s fading and being replaced by what I feel to be a totally bad move, which is self contained stories and lack of modern day, first civ., cliffhangers and interconnected-ness.

sadly Ubisoft got too greedy so we will probably be seeing only self contained boring stories (like Unity's) for some years to come
I just replayed AC2 the other day and damm I remember how intriguing the MD part was
its what gave the historical story purpose there was always a connection between them