PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to Ubisoft - I Am Here For the Lore

RinoTheBouncer
12-14-2014, 01:08 AM
Dear Ubisoft,
I, a huge fan of your products, generally, and the Assassin’s Creed franchise, specifically, since the very first installment, would like to deliver a message to you. But first, I want to thank you for an intriguing and entertaining journey that you’ve taken me on since 2007. The first game was my 3rd PlayStation 3 game and in a matter of weeks, it climbed to the top of my list of my most beloved franchises, carrying my fondest memories along the creases and wrinkles of it’s beautifully written stories and carefully crafted protagonists and antagonists.

Thank you for an incredible experience and an ever growing source of knowledge and entertainment. Not only did you give me something fun to do in my free time, you gave me subjects to look up and study, about our world, about conspiracies, about science, pseudo science, facts and fiction.

My message is not a critique, but a request. I have the utmost respect for the talented developers and creative minds and decision-makers behind the franchise from story writers to creative directors to programers..etc. My message is in no way a criticism to their work, nor an insult to their decisions, but merely a request from the heart of a dedicated fan and eternal supporter.

When I first saw Assassin’s Creed in stores in 2007, I looked at the screenshots on the back cover, I loved the style but I’ve never been a huge fan of historical settings. Yet after a recommendation from a friend who described the modern day connection with the historical portion of the game, along with “certain sci-fi elements that you will like”, in my friend’s own words, I bought the game, and I can’t express how thankful I am to him for the recommendation and for you, for making such an original and outstanding brand.

One game after another, starting with the first, followed by the 2nd and from one shocking cliffhanger to another, from Glyphs to Rifts, from Apples to Goddesses, from one heart-warming protagonist to a skin-crawling villain, from thought provoking conspiracies to morally gray figures, I got addicted to this franchise that according to people close to me, no day passes without me saying “Assassin’s Creed” at least once. And that is your handwork’s doing not just my dedication.

Without trying to compare or mentioning pros and cons, I implore you to let future games explore the lore deeply, and give us more information, more cutscenes and more solutions and continuations to previous stories be it modern day, historical or first civ-related matters. I have invested so much time learning every single detail and studying every official and unofficial encyclopedia about the stories of Assassin’s Creed to understand everything that the talented team of writers have carefully crafted and implemented into the general arc. So I ask you kindly and with all respect to the decision makers and the writers, not to resort to ignoring the lore, which to me and many other fans, is the reason why we loved the franchise to begin with, and not turn it to optional notes, recordings and mentions scattered here and there.

I’m well aware that a lot of decisions are determined by what makes the franchise more popular, comprehensible, profitable and easy to follow by newcomers, and I don’t claim to be a ‘true’ fan and call others “fake fans”, as we’re all fans and we all have our different reasons for loving this amazing brand. But my gamer heart bleeds when I see a heavily story-driven, interconnected experience is heading towards a more self-contained, multiplayer driven one. Because over the course of 5 games, ACI to ACIII, you’ve built a story, a lore, a cistern of characters, theories, facts, ideas, stories, conspiracies, clues, red herrings and experiences that no other franchise could do, and that became the reason for my extreme admiration to it.

I don’t claim to be a professional story-writer nor a business man, but I’m a fan, and I know what I love about this wonderful brand and the last thing I want is to feel like an alien in a universe I once felt such a sense of belonging into, left hungry and patient to be fed with more details that will either come in negligible doses, or not at all. I’m a fan from 2007 till the end. And nothing will make me abandon the franchise. But I just wanted to express my desire to see the overarching story becoming as big as it used to be during what we fans call “The Desmond Saga” with more progress to the modern day and First Civ. stories and hopefully more out-of-Animus experiences, preferably in 3rd person, and with a brand as powerful as Assassin’s Creed, run by a company as ambitious, as talented and as capable as Ubisoft, nothing is impossible and I’m certain that you’ll never let me down.

Thanks for taking time to read my letter. And I hope it gives you an idea about what the work of art called Assassin’s Creed is to me.

Best regards,
RinoTheBouncer (Reno).

Altair1789
12-14-2014, 01:13 AM
I hope everyone at Ubisoft sees this. We need more lore. Unity barely added anything to the lore

STDlyMcStudpants
12-14-2014, 01:49 AM
I PERSONALLY love the lore... but I play more for the 'Nothing is true, everything is permitted' side of the game
I like to see them playing with history and make us think that history MAY have happened differently than we thought..
I loved how religion was packed in the first 4 games...
I didnt expect them to turn away from this play on history and religion with AC 3...
They lazily added a character to events rather than make connor feel like a shadow doing the dirty work like it should have been..
Connor Shouldve been a stealth brute mix... A connor Altair mix
So AC3 started the trend of the game losing its magic..for me at least
(AC3 is my favorite game of all time, but it wasnt good as an AC game...)
I want it to go back to a game where motives are based on religion or other ideals...
And be reminded of it
It kind of sucks that from game to game we arent re introduced to the groups ideals in anything other than the third person voice over, over an opening or closing cutscene.
I want to see the actions that back these ideals...
Not for them to feel pre existing and assumed that we know the struggle of the assassins and templars...
I miss the insight and perspective an assassination would give...

SlyTrooper
12-14-2014, 02:46 AM
This is exactly how I feel, Rino. Ubisoft should read this & take note. The lore is one of the main reasons I enjoy AC (the other obviously being gameplay) & I would hate to see this thrown away just to bring in new fans. What Ubi need to understand is that trying to appeal to everybody doesn't work. The current fans should be their main focus, not future fans. We are here right now supporting their game & they should respect us for that. The sooner they understand this, the sooner AC will become a game designed for the players & not for the money.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-14-2014, 05:38 AM
This is exactly how I feel, Rino. Ubisoft should read this & take note. The lore is one of the main reasons I enjoy AC (the other obviously being gameplay) & I would hate to see this thrown away just to bring in new fans. What Ubi need to understand is that trying to appeal to everybody doesn't work. The current fans should be their main focus, not future fans. We are here right now supporting their game & they should respect us for that. The sooner they understand this, the sooner AC will become a game designed for the players & not for the money.

They can do both though....
They can make a million AC1s for the fans with the fun of AC2 for the casuals...
This isnt an either or thing....
Brotherhood is a perfect example of this mix...

Matt.mc
12-14-2014, 06:26 AM
They can do both though....
They can make a million AC1s for the fans with the fun of AC2 for the casuals...
This isnt an either or thing....
Brotherhood is a perfect example of this mix...

I think he means story -wise, because I wouldn't think that coming into the franchise with Brotherhood would be a good idea, you would be pretty lost.

Altair1789
12-14-2014, 06:44 AM
I think he means story -wise, because I wouldn't think that coming into the franchise with Brotherhood would be a good idea, you would be pretty lost.

Not unless you read the databases that were always given in the beginning of the game, up until AC3 I think. I don't think the story can keep doing this though. If every game is newcomer-friendly, how can the story progress at all? How can it not become just a game that is unrelated to its predecessors?

STDlyMcStudpants
12-14-2014, 06:53 AM

People that play for story wouldnt be lost though because they would start from the beginning... casuals wouldnt care enough to be lost
I played the ezio trilogy in reverse order.. i wasnt lost at all :D

RA503
12-14-2014, 07:03 AM
100 % agree, unity history being weak the way is was I forgive because I understand it being the beginning of a new saga,is because of it that have a lot of trowbacks to the first AC,but will be disapointing if victory be a copy of unity,next AC have to be like AC 2 and introduce some mindblowing things like the AC 2 ending.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Sherlock Holmes is the protagonist of AC Victory...
I'm confident history will be in the air for that title
Murder Mysteries were training :P

johnsmith145
12-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with the serious and respectful nature of this letter. Completely agree, though I wouldn't get my hopes up.

pacmanate
12-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with the serious and respectful nature of this letter. Completely agree, though I wouldn't get my hopes up.

That's cause Rino legitimately cares.

I've actually been talking to him in depth about the way the franchise is going over the past 2 weeks or so and the thing that always crops up is the lack of MD, the lack of first civ and lack of mystery. All that stuff got me hooked as well and its fading fast.

+1 for the OP and I hope Ubisoft see it and take it into consideration. After all, we buy the games. Dont turn it into CoD which apparently is selling less and less every year now.

king-hailz
12-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Agree with you exactly Rino! They need to bring it back! Also I actually stay for the lore... If they got rid of it I would probably stop playing because it doesn't give me what I want.

RinoTheBouncer
12-15-2014, 01:06 AM

Thank you, my friend.
I just hope our voice is heard. I’m not expecting changes, but it’s worth a shot.

That's cause Rino legitimately cares.

I've actually been talking to him in depth about the way the franchise is going over the past 2 weeks or so and the thing that always crops up is the lack of MD, the lack of first civ and lack of mystery. All that stuff got me hooked as well and its fading fast.

+1 for the OP and I hope Ubisoft see it and take it into consideration. After all, we buy the games. Dont turn it into CoD which apparently is selling less and less every year now.

Thank you, brother. I really hope they do see this and I do hope that it becomes a voice for those like you and I who truly care about the story and not just about a man who freely explores historical sites.

Agree with you exactly Rino! They need to bring it back! Also I actually stay for the lore... If they got rid of it I would probably stop playing because it doesn't give me what I want.

Thank you.
Yes. Abandoning the lore will totally change what the franchise is all about.

killerman_2012
12-17-2014, 03:09 AM
I agree with all the things you wrote in this post, Rino. I hope someone from Ubisoft read this letter, because the saga is losing its charm game after game and it's urgent a break. The modern-day storyline is destroyed and has no direction. I hope we can control a new 3rd-person character some day, because is the only way to recover something of the old greatness from the "Desmond's Saga". We need mysteries, conspiracies, concluding unfinished stories and solving old questions, as for example, the "Eve" that Clay mentioned in ACB.

Journey93
12-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Agreed on everything you posted OP
Ubisoft listen to this guy if you want the franchise to go in the right direction again

Gin0r
12-17-2014, 12:42 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

xUnalloyedDadey
12-17-2014, 01:00 PM
I feel the exact same way that why Assassin's Creed is so amazing and what makes it a game that blew my mind rather than a great game from Assassin's Creed 1 to 3 I felt a certain feeling while playing the franchise rather it be altair ezio or Connor I loved there connection with Desmond and that's what made me love Assassin's Creed so much and that why I always buy the most expensive edition of the game but ever since black flag that feeling has gone the games have still been great with great gameplay and I connected well with arno and loved the gameplay in black flag but I am missing that feeling from the first games and that was because the lore although rogue bring a little of it back don't know why though

xNick26
12-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Very well written and totally agree the lore and story was so cool and there was so many different directions he there still are for them I just hope they make the right decision

JustPlainQuirky
12-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Yeah I kinda wanna see more first civ stuff.

We see like specs of MD here and there but first civ is literally just gone.

Namikaze_17
12-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Why not a new first civ member?

I mean, they are a CIVILIZATION, right?

Kinda wanna see more of them than just the three that were apparently the leaders.

king-hailz
12-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Why not a new first civ member?

I mean, they are a CIVILIZATION, right?

Kinda wanna see more of them than just the three that were apparently the leaders.

yeah!!! Kill juno off and give us someone better!!!

RinoTheBouncer
12-22-2014, 09:52 PM
yeah!!! Kill juno off and give us someone better!!!

Consus, The Erudite God is such an interesting figure that is continuously being neglected. I don’t know when or if we’ll see him again. But I think that if he gets to have a human form or something and Juno does so, as well and see them have some sort of conflict or alliance, that would be epic.

Juno is against the Assassins and Templars altogether now. Consus was supportive of the Assassins before, or so he seemed. So it would be a good idea to see what can be made out of that. After all, Minerva said “They will enslave your kind” in ACIII. Who’s “they”? I don’t know.

We could have a modern day Assassin who’s either possessed by Consus, or gets possessed in certain points and it works like the Bleeding Effect episodes Desmond had in ACII, and we get to use the Animus to relive the life of a Sage or someone also possessed by Consus. It would be really interesting to see such a thing. I mean one of those ideas or all of them in an AC game would be wonderful.

Playing as a Sage who has flashbacks of the past (and perhaps has Memory Disk-like trips back to First Civ. times) would be absolutely fun and interesting to do.

Namikaze_17
12-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Minerva said “They will enslave your kind” in ACIII. Who’s “they”? I don’t know.

I think she meant Juno and her "First Will" followers.

Though the only follower( or at least former) was John from IT ( Aita).

However there's also the possibility she had some followers that agreed with her ideals before they all died.

Maybe she promised their return someday?

Hans684
12-22-2014, 10:04 PM

However there's also the possibility she had some followers that agreed with her ideals before they all died.

Instruments of the First Will.

And possibly(not confirmed) other First Civ. members.

RinoTheBouncer
12-22-2014, 10:10 PM

Aita, maybe. Or maybe, as Hans said, other First Civ. members.

The Instruments of the First Will are there. I don’t know how long those people have existed. I mean maybe I’ve missed something, but I’m sure that the only thing revealed about those people is that they’re supporters of Juno who want to release her. The question is: how did they know about all of this? yes, they were lead by Aita, but how long has they existed? did every Sage had his own gang of Instruments of the First Will?

In AC:Rogue, their symbol (which we see for the first time in ACIV:BF when we get all sticky notes) is drawn on one of the bathroom cabinets’ wall. So they’re indeed in the present day, but how long have they existed? and what do they really know about Juno and how?

Namikaze_17
12-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Instruments of the First Will.

And possibly(not confirmed) other First Civ. members.

Exactly!

I'm sure there were some Human-Hybrids/First Civ that didn't like the peace between the Humans and the First Civilization.

Maybe Juno gave them some promise and they waited?

It makes sense.

Aita, maybe. Or maybe, as Hans said, other First Civ. members.

The Instruments of the First Will are there. I don’t know how long those people have existed. I mean maybe I’ve missed something, but I’m sure that the only thing revealed about those people is that they’re supporters of Juno who want to release her. The question is: how did they know about all of this? yes, they were lead by Aita, but how long has they existed? did every Sage had his own gang of Instruments of the First Will?

In AC:Rogue, their symbol (which we see for the first time in ACIV:BF when we get all sticky notes) is drawn on one of the bathroom cabinets’ wall. So they’re indeed in the present day, but how long have they existed? and what do they really know about Juno and how?

Well they must've had to exist before the Solar flare as many got wiped out after that.

And it couldn't be Aita who led them because he died beforehand.

Plus I think Juno's ambitions were born after his death IIRC.

But your questions do need to be answered.

harsab
12-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Man even though i loved Unity to bits...the story took a good few bullets. I Just feel like AC is slowly losing it's touch story wise. I Can't believe we didn't really visit a first civ ruin in unity.

Really disappointing. If Unity had an amazing story and gave me the feeling of AC2 again i would of easily ranked it the best AC ever.

I really want so many questions answered regarding EVE, Clay, First Civ people etc. Please Ubisoft make it feel like an AC Universe again :(

johnsmith145
12-23-2014, 02:24 AM
Please Ubisoft make it feel like an AC Universe again :(

Oh, they're trying. Only it's in all the wrong ways. Instead of having the game be a fount of lore, they tried spreading it through Initiates, which even I found interesting for a time. Then they erased everything from it and made it a meaningless game companion - in addition to the game companion app. Then Amancio came along and made the focus for Unity progression and customization. Which in turn required more app usage and more free time spent on the AC gameplay, not the lore.

They got rid of Patrice Désilets, so there is little hope, as I think few people will have the guts to actually finishing up the TWCB story without feeling like they ruined someone else's work.

RinoTheBouncer
12-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Exactly!

I'm sure there were some Human-Hybrids/First Civ that didn't like the peace between the Humans and the First Civilization.

Maybe Juno gave them some promise and they waited?

It makes sense.

Well they must've had to exist before the Solar flare as many got wiped out after that.

And it couldn't be Aita who led them because he died beforehand.

Plus I think Juno's ambitions were born after his death IIRC.

But your questions do need to be answered.

I meant Aita as a Sage, since it is said that he’s the one leading the Instruments of the First Will collective. I’ve been looking up sources to write about them on my on AC fan page www.facebook.com/thelorepages yet all I could find was that they existed in 2013, or something. Nothing about them ever existing before. So it leaves me wondering whether they had their own sources of knowledge about the First Civ. or whether it’s the Sage who’s been gathering followers and creating some sort of a cult.

Man even though i loved Unity to bits...the story took a good few bullets. I Just feel like AC is slowly losing it's touch story wise. I Can't believe we didn't really visit a first civ ruin in unity.

Really disappointing. If Unity had an amazing story and gave me the feeling of AC2 again i would of easily ranked it the best AC ever.

I really want so many questions answered regarding EVE, Clay, First Civ people etc. Please Ubisoft make it feel like an AC Universe again :(

I totally agree with everything.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Let's just say if they continue with this complete lack of progression I'm done with the franchise. I will not support this absolute disrespect for long-time fans.

AC4 and ACU seemed to have the opposite problem. In AC4 the gameplay didn't feel too much like AC but the story was still felt like an AC story. In Unity the gameplay is very reminiscent of the first games but the lore just went completely out the window.

This series would lose so much of its individuality if it just ditched the modern-day lore (which is looking ever more likely). Yes the historical aspect is cool, but honestly if the modern-day lore isn't mentioned in the game it just wouldn't feel special. It would feel like ACU. The historical aspect is for the most part pretty good, but the game isn't really that memorably in terms of modern-day in the series because... well there wasn't any.

I just hope that they change the direction they're going, because if they stay on their present course, I fear grim times ahead for the franchise, not just in quality but in popularity.

m4r-k7
12-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Wow this is a great letter which perfectly sums up the incredible lore that Ubisoft have built up.

It is a problem that the franchise has become more "mainstream" as it really puts a strain on the creative nature of the franchise, as Ubisoft constantly want more customers, especially now that we are in a new generation and so this is a perfect time for them to get new players into the game. In order to get new players into the game, they need to obviousily take a step back and possibly re-introduce the whole modern day aspect again. It scares me that because of this reason Ubisoft are tied to just creating new story arcs, rather than continuing and maintaining the incredible lore they have built up. It seems we are not getting sequels any more, but rather standalone games that make as little reference as possible to the original mysterious nature of the games background.

I still love the franchise, but Ubisoft need to consider either re-introducing or continue the amazing lore. In my opinion, Unity brought back the nature of "Assassins" after AC 3 and AC 4 by giving us proper assassinations and even threw in an assassin council in there. Now they need to do this again, but for the modern day / first civ aspects. Its a problem that Ubisoft are maintaining the yearly instalment strategy as it means they can prolong the Juno story for as long as they want really.

RinoTheBouncer
01-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Wow this is a great letter which perfectly sums up the incredible lore that Ubisoft have built up.

It is a problem that the franchise has become more "mainstream" as it really puts a strain on the creative nature of the franchise, as Ubisoft constantly want more customers, especially now that we are in a new generation and so this is a perfect time for them to get new players into the game. In order to get new players into the game, they need to obviousily take a step back and possibly re-introduce the whole modern day aspect again. It scares me that because of this reason Ubisoft are tied to just creating new story arcs, rather than continuing and maintaining the incredible lore they have built up. It seems we are not getting sequels any more, but rather standalone games that make as little reference as possible to the original mysterious nature of the games background.

I still love the franchise, but Ubisoft need to consider either re-introducing or continue the amazing lore. In my opinion, Unity brought back the nature of "Assassins" after AC 3 and AC 4 by giving us proper assassinations and even threw in an assassin council in there. Now they need to do this again, but for the modern day / first civ aspects. Its a problem that Ubisoft are maintaining the yearly instalment strategy as it means they can prolong the Juno story for as long as they want really.

I think if they re-introduce modern day gameplay, there will be so much positive feedback because the whole game-within-a-game thing or the “you” in MD wasn’t really a very well-thought idea, or let’s just say not a very convincing one to us fans nor a good reason to be really using the Animus. In the classic ACs, the Animus felt like a device that is highly top-secret and experimental and that not anyone can use it and it’s a solution that is sought only when one is in extreme need for it and has no other option.

But now that one uses it to make a movie or to play a game, it kinda killed the mystery behind it. And maybe we can overlook that, but the fact that I’m an irrelevant character who plays with a device and gets contacted by people to do something and eventually hears a “sorry, we can’t reach the Sage (your whole journey is pointless) so we’ll call you if we need you” was totally disappointing and not rewarding. And I know that the next game, this “me” is a different me. So there isn’t even any interconnectedness between the faceless protagonist that we’re supposed to believe to be us.

There’s no progress. There’s just standalone missions. That’s why I think that we really do need a new 3rd person character. A new face. Someone who’s actions are important, who’s objectives benefit all mankind and his role and the changes he makes are big and noticeable. I’m ok with new arcs ever 2-3 games, but at least let there be an important story that progresses over the course of these 2-3 games in an epic way and gets it’s own cutscenes and proper conclusion. But to omit that the way they did with ACIV and ACU would be very very sad because as I mentioned in the letter, the interconnectedness between the games is what got me and many others like me into the franchise.

MasterAssasin84
01-04-2015, 05:11 PM
lore just went completely out the window

Sums it up perfectly ! ACU Setting and gameplay hit the spot ! everything else was sadly a complete mess.

RinoTheBouncer
01-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Sums it up perfectly ! ACU Setting and gameplay hit the spot ! everything else was sadly a complete mess.

I loved how in ACU, we could decide what type of approach do we take and I hope that system expands and becomes more detailed. For example, We won’t only be able to create a distraction, but also to find a completely different path to the target and Assassinate in totally different ways. Parkour was also the best by far and the graphics were great, though they need better frame-rate and more refining and polishing to be a true next gen experience.

So gameplay-wise ACU was good indeed, but what really needs to be worked on in the next game is the story and the lore.

Exodusith
01-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Rino, you summed up how I feel about the series perfectly. Thank you for putting it better than I ever could. I want to see a return to the multi weaved story - First Civ, Modern Day, and Historical periods covered in equal amounts. Like it was in the early games.

I still hold hope that Ubisoft has been deliberately setting up Galina Voronina as the next modern day protagonist. If not, I still believe some day that the story will become a persistent online presence that we can create our own heroes within to make our own stories together. :)

rrebe
01-06-2015, 10:04 PM

I agree.
The story felt short and it could have gone a lot deeper.