PDA

View Full Version : Does the Companion App work when your device is off?

Altair1789
12-14-2014, 12:58 AM
If you start a nomad mission on the companion app and turn off your phone/ computer (if you're using an android emulator), does the clock still tick on the mission? I use an android emulator on my computer since I don't have a tablet or modern phone, so can I start a 6 hour mission, turn off my computer, and come back 6 hours later to find the mission finished? I COULD try it myself, but if someone here already knows the answer that would be much more simple

PHLFANJAN
12-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Yes you can turn it off, the clock and all that stuff is running on the Ubisoft servers. Also, if you have Windows 8, you can just download the App from the Windows Store, no need to emulate Android.

Altair1789
12-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Yes you can turn it off, the clock and all that stuff is running on the Ubisoft servers. Also, if you have Windows 8, you can just download the App from the Windows Store, no need to emulate Android.

Thank you for the response. I have windows 7, but the emulator gets the job done

If a mod wants to lock the thread, that would be fine by me since my question was answered

Pr0metheus 1962
12-14-2014, 02:27 PM
It actually works better if you turn it off. I've had the experience of the clock not running properly if I leave it on. The missions say they're done in the companion, but the game won't let me open the chests. I have to reboot the Companion in order to get it to work properly, and this often results in different Companion mission results.

In one case, I sent three assassins on a mission in the Companion, they succeeded and unlocked a chest, so I went to Unity, couldn't open it, so I re-booted the Companion, and it replayed the mission completion results - this time my assassins failed the mission and all three died. I had to re-do the whole mission to get the chest.

Other times, the mission time was supposed to be over, but the app was still saying there was an hour or so to go. Again, I had to reboot to get the thing to realize that the time was up.

bitebug2003
12-14-2014, 02:42 PM
It would be ludicrous to have to have the device on for 8 hours to finish the mission.

But thankfully, like Kenway's Fleet and The Naval Campaign - time flows in real time - whether your device is on or not.

Only downside is that the rewards you get from the missions are negligible.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-14-2014, 02:46 PM
It would be ludicrous to have to have the device on for 8 hours to finish the mission..

Well, for one thing, the Companion app keeps the iPhone on unless you switch it off, so yeah, it would be "ludicrous" if it automatically switched off, but it doesn't. So if you forget to switch it off and you have the phone connected to the battery, it will stay on for 8, 16, 24 hours.

For another thing, it doesn't only happen if you leave it on for 8 hours. Try 20 minutes.

...time flows in real time - whether your device is on or not.

Time does not always progress in real time if you leave the app on. In fact, even if you switch the phone off, the app can stay running from one session to the next, unless you actually reboot the app from outside the app (the app doesn't have a shutdown feature), or do a hard reboot of the phone. And if you don't reboot, time in the app can slow down - a lot, because if you don't do a hard shutdown, the app can get confused about how much time has passed. If I have a mission with ten minutes left and I switch off the phone without deleting the cache, I can open up the game 6 hours later and that mission might still have 10 minutes left. Then it will count down that ten minutes and finish the mission, saying I've unlocked a chest. But the chest isn't openable in Unity. So I clear my iPhone cache and the app figures itself out, but it re-completes the mission, this time with a different result - potentially a mission failure.

It took me a while to figure this out. You seem to be suggesting that there isn't a problem, but there is, and it's a big problem because most players don't know the work-around yet.

bitebug2003
12-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, for one thing, the Companion app keeps the iPhone on unless you switch it off, so yeah, it would be "ludicrous" if it automatically switched off, but it doesn't. So if you forget to switch it off and you have the phone connected to the battery, it will stay on for 8, 16, 24 hours.

For another thing, it doesn't only happen if you leave it on for 8 hours. Try 20 minutes.

Same goes for Android - but I only have it on when I'm playing AC Unity so if I'm not playing I do turn it off.
I check it in the morning to see if missions have been completed and if some have I then set them on new missions and then turn it off until I'm ready to play :)

Pr0metheus 1962
12-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Same goes for Android - but I only have it on when I'm playing AC Unity so if I'm not playing I do turn it off.
I check it in the morning to see if missions have been completed and if some have I then set them on new missions and then turn it off until I'm ready to play :)

Do you have to clear the cache in order for it to work on Android? 'Cos that's what you have to do on the iPhone. It's not just a matter of switching off the phone - it should be, but it isn't. If you don't clear the cache, the app often doesn't work.

bitebug2003
12-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Do you have to clear the cache in order for it to work on Android? 'Cos that's what you have to do on the iPhone. It's not just a matter of switching off the phone - it should be, but it isn't. If you don't clear the cache, the app often doesn't work.

No I just launch the app and then the app synchronizes with AC Unity -- any chests/missions I have earned will show up in game.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-14-2014, 04:35 PM
No I just launch the app and then the app synchronizes with AC Unity -- any chests/missions I have earned will show up in game.

That's great for you. It's not much help for those of us who are experiencing the problems.

SlyTrooper
12-14-2014, 08:17 PM
That's great for you. It's not much help for those of us who are experiencing the problems.

It works fine for me too. I've never had a problem getting chests or anything.

HoIcon
12-14-2014, 08:17 PM
It's only ever synched 2 chests and 1 mission for me and i've done all the nomad missions in the middle and north of the companion app map

Pr0metheus 1962
12-14-2014, 08:30 PM
It works fine for me too. I've never had a problem getting chests or anything.

Could it be that you're not using iOS? You realize that different operating systems work differently, right? :rolleyes:

DeanOMiite
12-14-2014, 09:56 PM
It actually works better if you turn it off. I've had the experience of the clock not running properly if I leave it on. The missions say they're done in the companion, but the game won't let me open the chests. I have to reboot the Companion in order to get it to work properly, and this often results in different Companion mission results.

In one case, I sent three assassins on a mission in the Companion, they succeeded and unlocked a chest, so I went to Unity, couldn't open it, so I re-booted the Companion, and it replayed the mission completion results - this time my assassins failed the mission and all three died. I had to re-do the whole mission to get the chest.

Other times, the mission time was supposed to be over, but the app was still saying there was an hour or so to go. Again, I had to reboot to get the thing to realize that the time was up.

I've had the same experience. I actually shut down the app when I'm not using it because I noticed (I could have been wrong) that the timer seemed to not run properly when it was on and I never noticed the problem after that. I also run into the problem where I get a nomad chest or finish a mission in the game and the app doesn't always recognize, so i reboot and then it's all good. So I shut the whole thing down when I'm not actively using it and it works great.

Hans684
12-14-2014, 11:38 PM
The main problem is that the App exist.

Altair1789
12-14-2014, 11:39 PM
The main problem is that the App exist.

Hah, don't worry, you're not alone :)

Hans684
12-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Hah, don't worry, you're not alone :)

We're going to need a couple of spoons if we're going to kill it :rolleyes: