PDA

View Full Version : Will Ubisoft ever go to "exotic" places?

Journey93
12-13-2014, 02:21 AM
It seems like they are always playing it safe we had the american revolution, the french revolution, pirates etc.
And now England basically things that are familiar to many in the west

What about Japan or India or Egypt or even Russia? It seems Ubisoft is too afraid of actually doing something daring (be it gameplay wise or location wise) I doubt that they would even go to the Crusades now had AC1 not taken place there
They even said laughable things like Japan would feel too similar (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/29/ubisoft-assassins-creed-in-feudal-japan-would-feel-too-familiar)
I'm actually looking forward to Victorian London but still I want the series to realise its potential (location wise)

Anyone agree?

ze_topazio
12-13-2014, 03:16 AM
From Japan, India and Egypt perspectives, Europe and colonial America are exotic.

SixKeys
12-13-2014, 03:36 AM
If you don't think Renaissance Italy, Constantinople and the Caribbean with its mysterious jungles are exotic locations, I don't know what to tell ya.

OT but ze_topazio, would you mind changing your sig to something less flashy? They're giving me a headache.

cawatrooper9
12-13-2014, 03:37 AM
I get what you're saying- I too was hoping that we'd get a more surprising location than London. However, I don't think it's fair to say that they've "never" done exotic locations. Heck, the first game was in the Holy Land. Constantinople was a pretty non-westernized city too (well... half of it :P )

pirate1802
12-13-2014, 07:02 AM
If you don't think Renaissance Italy, Constantinople and the Caribbean with its mysterious jungles are exotic locations, I don't know what to tell ya.

Hah, this. Personally I think the many small islands, villages, jungles and open seas of the Caribean is the very definition of exotic.

From Japan, India and Egypt perspectives, Europe and colonial America are exotic.

This too. I'm an Indian and I'd certainly not count an Indian AC as exotic. Homely, familiar, nostalgic many things, but not exotic. Because I already frigging live here. For me the only non-exotic location AC has seen is Colonial Americas. And I'm super excited to see Victory, one of my favourite eras. Top hats, fog, smoking chimneys and hooded killers... man!

Funny how perspectives change depending on where you live, eh? :D

LoyalACFan
12-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Yeah, like the others said, "exotic" is relative. And hell, for video games, every setting they've chosen is pretty damned exotic, honestly, besides maybe Black Flag's. How many Italian Renaissance games are out there? Or Crusader Levant games? Or Revolutionary France games?

Much as I'd like to see AC travel to a totally new continent, I'm perfectly cool with any setting they give us as long as it's as expertly realized as Paris was.

Namikaze_17
12-13-2014, 08:24 AM
^ Pretty much what you guys said.

Every setting so far has been pretty "exotic" if you'd ask me. If it's not wherever you're from, it definitely is to someone else in the world.

UniteUnderPower
12-13-2014, 09:09 AM
I think that by exotic he means radically different from what we've already seen. The last time that they radically changed locations was in AC3. AC4 was a pretty radical change too, but apart from the open ocean and jungle, the cities themselves just felt too "samey" next to previously explored locations. I think the most radical change in locations they could do is Egypt or Russia at this point. Although, I'm kind of glad that they're getting the "samey" locations out of the way now, rather than later.

Kangaru14
12-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Well the reason is rather obvious. Ubisoft's main market base are people from the West (Americas and Europe), and thus their consumers know more about their own history than the history of "exotic" places. People want to meet famous people and participate in historic events that they've heard of. They want to meet Da Vinci, Washington, Napoleon, Blackbeard (celebrities of their own history). They want to be there at the Boston Tea Party, storming of the Bastille, etc. The main thing that sets AC apart from other action games in the opportunity to experience history. How many famous Japanese, Indian, or Egyptian people or events from history can you name? While I completely I agree and would love to see AC go to more exotic locations, I understand why they don't.

VestigialLlama4
12-13-2014, 11:08 AM
How many famous Japanese, Indian, or Egyptian people or events from history can you name?

I was skeptical when I saw the word exotic...but I didn't expect to run into such blatant neo-colonialist rhetoric. How many people knew about the Asasiyun as a historical organization before AC1? Or know of Suleiman the Magnificent in ACR?

I don't think fame has anything real to do with it.

JamesFaith007
12-13-2014, 12:43 PM
I was skeptical when I saw the word exotic...but I didn't expect to run into such blatant neo-colonialist rhetoric. How many people knew about the Asasiyun as a historical organization before AC1? Or know of Suleiman the Magnificent in ACR?

I don't think fame has anything real to do with it.

To be honest he has a point.

World-wide known historical persons and events helps players to connect with chosen AC era. They are main difference between AC game and just fantasy historical game. Playing whole game without recognizing even one NPC would be definitely disappointment to me.

AC is already set this way and there is always one such person in it since AC2 - da Vinci, Washington, Blackbeard, Napoleon. Even Suleiman (very bad example on your side) is with Mehmed II. most known Osman sultan behind Turkish border, which is reason why they introduce him even in his young age. He should be replaces by sultan adviser sympathizing with assassins and it wouldn't change main historical story line of ACR too much. His only purpose was being connection with Istanbul in this era.

From this reason I am skeptical to game set in too "exotic" locations and too early history. And before you accused me form neo-colonialist rhetoric, from same reason I'm skeptical even to AC game set in my own country, even when Hussite wars would be good background for AC game, just because there are no well known historical persons outside Middle European region.

GoldenBoy9999
12-13-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't know, I think AC has been pretty "exotic" so far. If you were to look through the covers of settings of the AC games and spin-offs like Liberation I think'd you see that we've amassed a pretty good amount of cool locations. London or Paris may be boring to some but London is my favorite setting so far.

I've never really looked into London or had been interested in it but like all AC's, I'm getting very interested in its history.

Brostok
12-13-2014, 01:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6kyJBTH.jpg

Could this be a hint to the next location ? :)

ze_topazio
12-13-2014, 01:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6kyJBTH.jpg

Could this be a hint to the next location ? :)

You might be onto something.

MasterAssasin84
12-13-2014, 02:29 PM
It seems like they are always playing it safe we had the american revolution, the french revolution, pirates etc.
And now England basically things that are familiar to many in the west

What about Japan or India or Egypt or even Russia? It seems Ubisoft is too afraid of actually doing something daring (be it gameplay wise or location wise) I doubt that they would even go to the Crusades now had AC1 not taken place there
They even said laughable things like Japan would feel too similar (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/29/ubisoft-assassins-creed-in-feudal-japan-would-feel-too-familiar)
I'm actually looking forward to Victorian London but still I want the series to realise its potential (location wise)

Anyone agree?

Well we have had the Caribbean ? so it really depends on what you call exotic ?

I can understand why Ubisoft want to stay from the Japanese setting as its been done with other ip's before so nothing really too unique about them .

Thats why I love AC because of the innovative nature of the settings .

And can you really think of a game other than AC3 that has explored the North American Revolution ? AC3 is one of my favourite instalments and personally I think it was quite a bold decision .

GunnerGalactico
12-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Well, other than North America, Middle East and the Caribbean, we haven't really explored any other country that is not European. I think that is what the OP meant by "exotic" locations. However, I do think it is great that Ubi are going to try their hand on time periods that are not often used or too familiarised with. That way they don't have to put too much emphasis on the historical events or figures.

Megas_Doux
12-13-2014, 07:22 PM
I found AC I, ACR and AC IV settings rather exotic....

In terms of the map above, the lines are marking Paris. One of them comes directly from London, "victory" may be?????

UniteUnderPower
12-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Well the reason is rather obvious. Ubisoft's main market base are people from the West (Americas and Europe), and thus their consumers know more about their own history than the history of "exotic" places. People want to meet famous people and participate in historic events that they've heard of. They want to meet Da Vinci, Washington, Napoleon, Blackbeard (celebrities of their own history). They want to be there at the Boston Tea Party, storming of the Bastille, etc. The main thing that sets AC apart from other action games in the opportunity to experience history. How many famous Japanese, Indian, or Egyptian people or events from history can you name? While I completely I agree and would love to see AC go to more exotic locations, I understand why they don't.

Famous Egyptian people actually aren't that hard to name off. Tons of the pharaohs are cited by people to this day. Events may be a little harder to cite, but one of them is Moses' journeys throughout Egypt, although that is up in the air on what happened with him. I think that if we ever got an Assassin's Creed in Ancient Egypt, it should focus less on the events of the time period and more on the mystery/intrigue of the time period instead. The lore and legends that surround Egypt go very far back and offer a lot towards AC's lore. I imagine that we could have an actual EXCELLENT storyline on par with the older games if they travelled here in the future.

And can you really think of a game other than AC3 that has explored the North American Revolution ? AC3 is one of my favourite instalments and personally I think it was quite a bold decision .

Not many, but I can think of plenty that take place in Victorian London, the crusades, or the Caribbean for example. I'd like for once to explore a time period many of us really haven't heard of too much. European history and American history is overdone in the history books.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 02:37 AM
I'd just like to see somewhere that hasn't been done to death. I mean, Victorian London? How safe can you get? And we've seen it so much in every fricken Sherlock Holmes, The Time Machine, Jack the Ripper and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie ever made, as well as one-offs like The Great Train Robbery and A Christmas Carol.

Can Assassin's Creed go to a less ordinary setting? Heck, it doesn't have to be somewhere outlandish. I mean, why not Edinburgh, Dublin, Carcassonne, or Cairo, or Malta?

Minsooky
12-15-2014, 07:30 AM
I saw a screenshot of one of Ubi's surveys suggesting Siege of Busan as a possible future setting. I am actually not interested in Japan as a setting at all, but if they did a game based off Siege of Busan I would be very happy. FTR if anyone doesn't know this time period was when Japan invaded Korea, but with the help of China Japan eventually had to withdraw their forces. So if this game was made it would not only involve Koreans, but Japanese and most likely Chinese as well.

It would be a really different setting for an AC game and it would be about something that occurred in Asia that probably few people are aware of. Also I may have a bias here because I'm of Korean descent...>_>;

GunnerGalactico
12-15-2014, 09:31 AM
I'd just like to see somewhere that hasn't been done to death. I mean, Victorian London? How safe can you get? And we've seen it so much in every fricken Sherlock Holmes, The Time Machine, Jack the Ripper and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie ever made, as well as one-offs like The Great Train Robbery and A Christmas Carol.

Can Assassin's Creed go to a less ordinary setting? Heck, it doesn't have to be somewhere outlandish. I mean, why not Edinburgh, Dublin, Carcassonne, or Cairo, or Malta?

I actually agree.

The siege of Malta would be one hell of a setting, though.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 09:36 AM
How do you feel about Victorian London, Gunner? :)

GunnerGalactico
12-15-2014, 09:44 AM
How do you feel about Victorian London, Gunner? :)

I don't really have a problem with Victorian London, it's just that it's been used many times ie: Thief.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
I don't really have a problem with Victorian London, it's just that it's been used many times ie: Thief.

True, you have a point there. :rolleyes:

Expect comparison threads. O__O

pirate1802
12-15-2014, 10:10 AM

and Dishonored.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 10:14 AM
and Dishonored.

And The Order.

king-hailz
12-15-2014, 10:18 AM
I think in a pot of ways they are afraid to do too many things! They should make a game based on so many things and have an extremely dark story too it...

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 10:23 AM
And The Order.

And Bloodborne. It's a fantasy Victorian London.

souNdwAve89
12-15-2014, 10:25 AM
And The Order.

And Bloodborne

Okay, not directly taking place during Victorian London time, BUT Miyazaki said the game's city is heavily influenced by it, so another sense of familiarity.

shobhit7777777
12-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Not really no.

They've been represented in books and films a lot.

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Muahahahahah. Ninja'd.

Namikaze_17
12-15-2014, 10:33 AM
If we go anywhere else, PLEASE not Japan.

Damn, I hate hearing about that place. -__-

souNdwAve89
12-15-2014, 10:46 AM
If we go anywhere else, PLEASE not Japan.

Damn, I hate hearing about that place. -__-

If they do, I can only imagine what people will say lmao