PDA

View Full Version : Unity contained a test for Victory?

CoachAssassin
12-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Just like AC3 had naval to see if AC BF had potential, I'm feeling that Unity's murder mysteries are going to be having a bigger role in Victory, considering they are like the sole thing every reviewer and fan agrees on to be good in Unity. They actually had hoped that would have been a bigger part. The era is perfect with notorious gangs, JtR and other victorian writings about crime in that time. The detective work back then was actually not all as bad as the whole Jack the Ripper case made it out to be. Sherlock Holmes was actually based on the actual work of 2 detectives of whom I do not know the name. But wouldn't you agree that Murder Mystery would give the antagonist + targets a whole new dimension? Banish myths about Dorian Gray, Moriarty copycats (there were a bunch actually) & Jack the Ripper. Would be fun if some of these even had a black box like feel, so for example: You are midway the sequences and you are down to 2 suspects, and you decide to act before letting something happen again. You get the wrong guy, changing the way you have to kill your target.

Would give some complications as well I'm sure, but hey in name of stirring it up, instead of our Assassin being part of secret society operating in the shadows to take on thugs, make him a detective (although I'm pretty sure they said Sam was a business man).

Anyways, what do you guys think, should murder mystery style of play take a bit more front stage?

(oh and I so hope the protagonist doesn't have like an actual sword but a cane with a sword in it. Would be stealthy and cool :p)

cawatrooper9
12-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Perhaps. I'd like to see a combination between the murder mysteries and the Nostradamus puzzles- big sweeping capers that take you all across London to solve.

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Perhaps. I'd like to see a combination between the murder mysteries and the Nostradamus puzzles- big sweeping capers that take you all across London to solve.

This is a nice idea. The Nostradamus puzzles sounded good on paper, but doing them was a pain in the arse. I want the glyphs to be tied to TWCB again, not just these random, unexplained graffitis. It would be cool if murder mysteries were all somehow connected, leading up to something - kind of like the Romulus lairs in ACB ultimately led to one or two head honchos. We could find these mysterious symbols painted on the walls or bodies of the victims and each one had a riddle that would lead you to a secret cult.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2014, 09:21 PM
This is a nice idea. The Nostradamus puzzles sounded good on paper, but doing them was a pain in the arse. I want the glyphs to be tied to TWCB again, not just these random, unexplained graffitis. It would be cool if murder mysteries were all somehow connected, leading up to something - kind of like the Romulus lairs in ACB ultimately led to one or two head honchos. We could find these mysterious symbols painted on the walls or bodies of the victims and each one had a riddle that would lead you to a secret cult.

Ah, that would be cool. I like the idea of the murders being all connected- perhaps by another secret type of order led by none other than a sage... going by moniker of Jack the Ripper. The glyphs are his signature, his desperate cries to his Juno. The clues are his mistakes. Our protagonists hunts them both down to get to the bottom of these cases.

Altair1789
12-11-2014, 09:23 PM
As long as they don't give us clues like "suspect used a cane" and "this man seemed uneasy when you asked him, and walks with a cane"

Pr0metheus 1962
12-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Just like AC3 had naval to see if AC BF had potential, I'm feeling that Unity's murder mysteries are going to be having a bigger role in Victory...

Yeah, I mentioned that a few days ago. It's pretty clear to me that they're going with a Jack the Ripper theme and a main character who's going to be channeling Sherlock Holmes.

GoldenBoy9999
12-12-2014, 12:54 AM
I guess it'd be pretty cool. I used to want to be a detective so this is what I'd be doing in my job. I don't know if they can provide enough entertainment to have a big role though. AC4's naval was definitely entertaining and warranted a whole game but I'd have to see some new info on this before I thought it'd be fun.

ze_topazio
12-12-2014, 01:08 AM
They created the naval for AC3 and they liked it so much they decided to make an entire game based on it(AC4) right away, it wasn't there just for testing, I suspect however that the promised naval free-roaming was cut from AC3 in order to let that be AC4's big "revolutionary never before seen, pre-order it now please" new distinctive feature.

Matknapers18
12-12-2014, 02:17 AM
The murder mysteries were one of my favourite features from ACU so I think this could work. Especially with the era. But in order for it to be one of the games primary missions, Ubisoft are gonna have to improve it. And by that I mean, complete re build it. Running around spamming eagle vision to find golden people isn't gonna work. There's no way I could deal with hours of that.

These missions need way more depth. I'm talking LA Noire depth. We should be able to inspect items ourself not just receive a block of text. We should be able to ask the suspects questions or threaten them for answers. Ubi could also incorporate their beloved tailing and eavesdropping if they like. And the culprit shouldn't just give up when you accuse them. They should fight back or try to escape.Could lead to some awesome chases through the streets. Perhaps a little notebook full of clues would work? And you could open it up like Drake's journal in uncharted. Better than scrolling through the database with that annoying low hum noise. This has so much potential,

VestigialLlama4
12-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I mentioned that a few days ago. It's pretty clear to me that they're going with a Jack the Ripper theme and a main character who's going to be channeling Sherlock Holmes.

Well BLACK FLAG was the best Pirate Game ever made so Maybe VICTORY can be the best Sherlock Holmes game ever made.

Personally, I'd have liked it if they used the Victorian Era for something truly creative. Victorian London was a time of class stratification, it was not easy for the Rich to get by in the Poor Areas and vice-versa. Open-world gaming has the ability and potential to really tackle class in terms of gameplay but most games, even GTA don't bother exploring such things.

Rather then play as a top-hat wearing ponce, I'd like to play as a really poor guy in this time period, maybe even a criminal(like Edward). An East-Ender. Maybe have two or three protagonists (Two Guys, one Rich, one Poor and a Woman), maybe make one of them bisexual (so we can explore the sexual underworld of the Victorian Era...Oscar Wilde and all that). All these are aspects of the real Victorian Era. Because if they are going to have you play as Top-Hat Moron and easily traverse London in different areas where you can fit in easily in poor areas despite looking like someone who stepped out of a Country Estate Costume Ball then the game has automatically failed.

It was bad enough in UNITY where the likes of Arno in real-life would have been lynched and/or guillotined for the way he speaks and his snot-nosed contempt for people. And the New World games since its set in a period of foundation don't have that mixage that it would later have(though even there Connor interacting with Founders is hard).

Pr0metheus 1962
12-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Well BLACK FLAG was the best Pirate Game ever made so Maybe VICTORY can be the best Sherlock Holmes game ever made.

Maybe, but I'm just not sure that Ubisoft can do that sort of thing anymore. They were just lucky with Black Flag, in that pretty much everyone loves pirates. The setting was a safe bet that basically couldn't fail as long as they didn't screw up too badly. I just don't think that Sherlock Holmes has the same sort of universal appeal as pirates.

Personally, I'd have liked it if they used the Victorian Era for something truly creative. Victorian London was a time of class stratification, it was not easy for the Rich to get by in the Poor Areas and vice-versa. Open-world gaming has the ability and potential to really tackle class in terms of gameplay...

Ubisoft has been staying away from creativity and controversy in AC for a few years now. It's nothing like the company it was when Patrice Desilets got the green light for a game that has a main character who is basically a Middle-eastern terrorist. AC once had the ability to explore controversial subjects in an adult way, but I think that time is long gone.

Rather then play as a top-hat wearing ponce, I'd like to play as a really poor guy in this time period...

A poor person in Victorian London? It takes a company willing to risk its investment to do stuff like that. How do you even sell that to investors who are demanding that Ubisoft's cash cow doesn't risk its profits? They can't just say "pirates" like they did to justify Edward's humble origins. Ubisoft's investors are pretty much all top-hat wearing ponces who will see a poor AC protagonist as way too "revolutionary", and not in a good way. Rich ****s like their class war to be directed at the poor, with wealthy heroes and poor salt of the earth NPCs who tug on a forelock and say "Morning Guv'nor" with a cheery smile and no hint of a desire to put the rich bastards up against a wall and apply Rule 303. Heck, you saw what they did with Unity. Having a poor hero and exploring the plight of the downtrodden in Victorian London seems way too Marxist for Ubisoft. Maybe it could have been done when Desilets was around, but I don't think it's possible now.

odovoro
12-12-2014, 02:33 PM
I just hope Ubi will bring back the guards chases, though in unity the guards gave chase it was boring. and most of the time the guards didn't even bother to chase after me.