PDA

View Full Version : What they need to improve parkour for Victory!

king-hailz
12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I think the controls how they are now are brilliant and the best I think they can get however there is one massive problem with it which I was disappointed to learn was even in Unity. What I wanted was that R2/RT makes the character run and NOTHING ELSE! He shouldn't be able to then climb on boxes and stuff on the sides! When doing this all the boxes and things on the floor should be treated as NPC's! Our character should push them away and run forward! This will refine the parkour to make it better! PLEASE PLEASE DO THIS!

If you can think of anymore little things that will improve the parkour tell me and tell me if you think they need to make the change that I said...

Jackdaw951
12-11-2014, 04:06 PM
I've been begging for this myself. Exclusive-run button or button combo, please! Don't jump; don't climb; just run. It would improve gameplay massively.

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Agreed. Pressing "parkour up" should be the only way to make your character climb things.

m4r-k7
12-11-2014, 04:56 PM
I love parkour up and especially parkour down. I am sure thats here to stay.

However, normal parkour feels "choppy" or un-smooth sometimes - I can't explain it but its much less smooth than it used to be. Sometimes its very unresponsive also.

I also want to be able to aim the "wall eject" move left or right like how it used to be. Now when I am on a wall and want to quickly go on a ledge to the right or left of me, it is slow and annoying.

SlyTrooper
12-11-2014, 07:08 PM
I love parkour up and especially parkour down. I am sure thats here to stay.

However, normal parkour feels "choppy" or un-smooth sometimes - I can't explain it but its much less smooth than it used to be. Sometimes its very unresponsive also.

I also want to be able to aim the "wall eject" move left or right like how it used to be. Now when I am on a wall and want to quickly go on a ledge to the right or left of me, it is slow and annoying.

You actually don't need to move slowly. There's no eject to the side because you just need to hold R2 & push to the side. This will go towards that ledge because it's on the same level as you. This is like the window 'problem'.

D.I.D.
12-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Take leap of faith off RT + B. Either make the pigeon roosts into strict "here only" positions for rooftop LoFs, or make the LoF on RT + A only. I need to be able to go from a roof to climbing down a wall reliably, and not get thrown into a street-level haystack.

Make sure the instructions match the actions. RT + A does not reliably create the wall eject, and nor does RT + A (held). RT + A,A works. Same for movement up a wall when you need to leap and grab an out-of-reach ledge; A doesn't do it but A, A does. The instructions should make the double-tap requirement clear.

m4r-k7
12-11-2014, 07:39 PM
You actually don't need to move slowly. There's no eject to the side because you just need to hold R2 & push to the side. This will go towards that ledge because it's on the same level as you. This is like the window 'problem'.

You see that sometimes works, but 80% of the time it doesn't. Normally, you just shimmy across to it and then pull yourself up. It would be great if you could always just eject onto it quickly. Theres something about the parkour that feels unresponsive. The parkour down and up work great though.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
What I wanted was that R2/RT makes the character run and NOTHING ELSE! He shouldn't be able to then climb on boxes and stuff on the sides! When doing this all the boxes and things on the floor should be treated as NPC's! Our character should push them away and run forward! This will refine the parkour to make it better! PLEASE PLEASE DO THIS!

This, please PLEASE this!

If you can think of anymore little things that will improve the parkour tell me and tell me if you think they need to make the change that I said...

I'd just add that vaulting over and sliding under stuff should also happen automatically while pushing on the left stick and the right trigger. I shouldn't have to press an extra button to do this when I'd just automatically do it without even thinking about it if I was running in real life.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 07:47 PM

Maybe you're right on this, I don't know, as I haven't tested it. But the window problem is a real problem - I have tested it, and although it works sometimes, many windows in the game cannot be entered quickly by making the inputs that supposedly get you in. I've danced around windows many a time while pressing only the left stick and the left trigger.

SlyTrooper
12-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Maybe you're right on this, I don't know, as I haven't tested it. But the window problem is a real problem - I have tested it, and although it works sometimes, many windows in the game cannot be entered quickly by making the inputs that supposedly get you in. I've danced around windows many a time while pressing only the left stick and the left trigger.

I've never had that problem after I figured out to use L2. It always works for me.

andreycvetov
12-11-2014, 08:44 PM
For me parkour in Unity feels super choppy .Let them change how gravity works for the protagonist .He makes unbelieveble jumps that look and feel unrealistic and he can fall from 20 metres and not die .I mean ,change these little things first .

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I've never had that problem after I figured out to use L2. It always works for me.

I know how to use L2, and it works maybe half the time for me. But anyway, it's L1 (the left trigger) that gets you into windows, not L2 (the left bumper). It would help if they mentioned this in the game manual - all it says in the Xbox version is to use the left stick to move next to the window and then keep moving towards the window - that works about half the time too, as does holding just about any other button you care to while moving to a window.

For me parkour in Unity feels super choppy .Let them change how gravity works for the protagonist .He makes unbelieveble jumps that look and feel unrealistic and he can fall from 20 metres and not die .I mean ,change these little things first .

Yeah, good luck getting that to change. Last time I checked, AC is a game. Real world physics is about the first casualty of gaming. We'll get real world physics at about the same time we're forced to stop every few hours and make the character sit down for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Hans684
12-11-2014, 09:49 PM
They should make parkour more environmental, like the B13 movies. Let use have the environment as a proper tool for escape and "attack" while running.

SlyTrooper
12-11-2014, 10:27 PM
I know how to use L2, and it works maybe half the time for me. But anyway, it's L1 (the left trigger) that gets you into windows, not L2 (the left bumper). It would help if they mentioned this in the game manual - all it says in the Xbox version is to use the left stick to move next to the window and then keep moving towards the window - that works about half the time too, as does holding just about any other button you care to while moving to a window.

L2 - LT
L1 - LB

Not being offensive, just pointing out your mistake.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 10:38 PM
L2 - LT
L1 - LB

Not being offensive, just pointing out your mistake.

Hmm. The graphic I've always used (http://snowboarding.youriding.com/images/guide/gamepad.jpg) was unclear. You're right. But it still makes no difference - it doesn't matter what I press, I have the same 50% chance (or thereabouts) of getting into a window. And again, the manual says you just have to move towards it and you'll go in - and that works about the same 50% of the time.

HDinHB
12-11-2014, 11:28 PM
I'd just add that vaulting over and sliding under stuff should also happen automatically while pushing on the left stick and the right trigger. I shouldn't have to press an extra button to do this when I'd just automatically do it without even thinking about it if I was running in real life.

In real life, I couldn't do the vault over or slide under automatically or even with great effort. :) But this amendment to the first post would give an almost perfect result. I didn't have problems in the first parts of the game, but at some point Arno became as sticky as Ezio and glommed on to every fence post, door frame, chimney, carriage, or chair he got close to. Just run, Arno, run!

Just to intensify the seamlessness, a few more tweaks to consider:

I do miss the adrenaline rush Ezio provided by never knowing until the last moment if you got that long leap just right, or if you were millimeters away from plummeting to your death, but Unity is the best balanced in the series so far. Maybe if the consequences of (the rare but spectacular) failure were higher, it would be a bit more thrilling.

Probably in the interest of making the parkour easier, it seems like the protags are lighter than they should be, especially in the later games. I wouldn't want them to be realistically heavy (all that equipment), or reduce the breath-taking rooftop-to-rooftop leaps, but if the purely vertical climbs took just a little more effort it would feel more lifelike. I always laughed when Ezio would get to a point in his climb where he would pull himself up on his handhold, look up to the next one and realize it was just too far, and slump back down. Even in the limited body language of his back and shoulders I could hear him say, "I'm not gonna try that, you try that."

I was surprised that none of Arno's parkour skills had to be unlocked by skill points. I'm not sure I want that, but it seems weird that I had to spend sync points to learn how to sit on a bench, but not to develop world class free running skills.

And how about bringing back some of those big tomb/lair parkour puzzle levels, to really showcase these skills, and the programming skills that go into creating them?