PDA

View Full Version : oooooooooooooo yay. more people with brittish accents..................

EmbodyingSeven5
12-11-2014, 05:04 AM
Assassins creed victory was been leaked/confirmed and I am kind of upset for what many of you may find childish. looking forward to the new setting and all but kind of disappointed that we will be around more people with British accents.

I hope AC doesn't make it tradition to do this from now on because unity ( like liberation for instance) should have had native French accents.

like both Ezios and Altiars. games, accents should be included. hoping for future AC games with accented characters!

pirate1802
12-11-2014, 08:45 AM
British accent is smexy.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
I wish Bishop had a British accent. :rolleyes:

The smexy kind, though. ;-)

pirate1802
12-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm already imagining.........:rolleyes:

king-hailz
12-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I know!!! I hate the British accent even though I have one! I've always hated it! I really want this setting done quickly so that we can get past everything British! Elises British accent actually made me dislike her! It was just so annoying that I found it hard to like her! The thing is I hate the British accent and I really really hate the cockney accent which has been used for the guards since AC3 and I don't want to hear it! I really don't like it! Please get rid of it! This has been my biggest complaint since AC3! This is actually one of the reasons why I have not liked AC games that much since AC3!

Shahkulu101
12-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Don't mind British accents per say, but I HATE the cockney guards. Especially since it's the same guys voice from like 3 games ago...

The Scottish guards can stick around, though - they're pretty funny. Oh and let's keep the hilarious West Country accents too!

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Assassins creed victory was been leaked/confirmed and I am kind of upset for what many of you may find childish. looking forward to the new setting and all but kind of disappointed that we will be around more people with British accents.

You haven't been around anyone with a British accent in Unity. What you heard in Unity were Canadian actors playing the two main characters, and they were faking a British accent (and not terribly well either). The closest we got to a real British accent was Bellec's voice, which was a fake West Country accent spoken by a Scottish actor.

In Rogue, you heard a fake Irish accent (Irish, not British) spoken by Steven Piovesan, a Canadian actor. I can't figure out why they didn't hire Julian Casey (the guy who played Liam O'Brien) for the role - he has a much more convincing Irish accent, because he's actually from Dublin. Interestingly, Casey plays a character who's supposedly born in Massachusetts, but he plays him with a thick Dublin accent (?!). I'm guessing they went with Irish because the characters grew up in Irish neighborhoods in America, though I can't figure out how that would work, since most people growing up in Irish neighborhoods in the US speak with American accents.

I suspect you won't be hearing many real British accents in Victory either.

The best fake British accent so far in the series was that of Haytham Kenway, who was voiced by Adrian Hough, a Canadian actor who had lived in England long enough to perfect his English accent.

The only real British accent of the series so far (in terms of playable characters) was the Welsh accent of Edward Kenway, who was voiced by Matt Ryan, who is Welsh in reality.

I hope AC doesn't make it tradition to do this from now on because unity ( like liberation for instance) should have had native French accents. like both Ezios and Altiars. games, accents should be included. hoping for future AC games with accented characters!

I agree with you on that.

In my opinion, every main character should be voiced by an actor from the country, preferably even the region, that the character is supposedly from. Surely it would not have been that difficult to find a real Italian actor to play Ezio, a real Syrian actor to play Altair, and real French actors to play Arno and Elise. That way, no one would be complaining about fake accents and we'd all get a much stronger sense of immersion.

The_Kiwi_
12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Well, Arno was a French guy, played by a Canadian, pretending to be British

So maybe Sam will be a Canadian guy, played by a British man, pretending to be French?

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2014, 12:56 PM
British accent is smexy.

FFFFF-- took the words right out of me.

m4r-k7
12-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Its not the British accents that is annoying, its the way games portray British people to be super posh or super cockney. Why they can't do normal British accents is beyond me.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Its not the British accents that is annoying, its the way games portray British people to be super posh or super cockney. Why they can't do normal British accents is beyond me.

This.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 05:26 PM

It's probably because they don't hire actual British people to do the accents, and the actors they hire probably learned their British accents more for a cheap laugh at a party than as a professional skill learned from a dialog coach. So the result is usually one of four basic types: generic Cockney, generic Northern English, generic Scots or generic Posh, none of which sound right. Unfortunately, in terms of accents, the games industry is at the stage movies were in during the 1930s to 1960s, so unless they actually hire British actors, we get the same sort of awful accents that you can hear in films like Mary Poppins, Sergeant York or My Fair Lady.

It's always seemed strange to me that American actors don't attempt a West Country accent. It seems to me that that would be easier for them, what with the rhotic R and everything. Instead, they end up butchering an Oxbridge, Cockney or a Scots accent.

If developers can't or won't hire actors from the locales the characters are supposed to be from, I think they need to hire competent dialog coaches.

m4r-k7
12-11-2014, 05:36 PM
It's probably because they don't hire actual British people to do the accents, and the actors they hire probably learned their British accents more for a cheap laugh at a party than as a professional skill learned from a dialog coach. So the result is usually one of four basic types: generic Cockney, generic Northern English, generic Scots or generic Posh, none of which sound right. Unfortunately, in terms of accents, the games industry is at the stage movies were in during the 1930s to 1960s, so unless they actually hire British actors, we get the same sort of awful accents that you can hear in films like Mary Poppins, Sergeant York or My Fair Lady.

It's always seemed strange to me that American actors don't attempt a West Country accent. It seems to me that that would be easier for them, what with the rhotic R and everything. Instead, they end up butchering an Oxbridge, Cockney or a Scots accent.

If developers can't or won't hire actors from the locales the characters are supposed to be from, I think they need to hire competent dialog coaches.

Agreed.

Megas_Doux
12-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Ugh......

This selfish, larger than life attitude that I have always seen here in the likes of: "I dont care whether there are cliches/stereotypes or not as long those behaviors/accents feel similar to the way I believe those are or just cool to me at all. With the exception of mine ones of course, those have to be perfect".

D.I.D.
12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
I suspect you won't be hearing many real British accents in Victory either.

I think we will. ACIV's voice cast was pretty incredible, including James Bachman, Ralph Ineson, Matt Ryan, Sean Pertwee, Mark Bonnar, and loads of other really well chosen people. Whoever cast that one really knew what they were doing.

Élise's accent is terrible, Arno's was off too, but I doubt they'll use North Americans for many key roles in Victory - I expect that was a matter of choosing Canadians as relatively local people to the core production for those main roles. They've got to be coming to the UK this time because it would be a complete waste of money to try and cast lots of roles at once using non-British actors. If they've got ACIV's casting agent on this one then Victory's in safe hands.

D.I.D.
12-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Ugh......

This selfish, larger than life attitude that I have always seen here in the likes of: "I dont care whether there are cliches/stereotypes or not as long those behaviors/accents feel similar to the way I believe those are or just cool to me at all. With the exception of mine ones of course, those have to be perfect".

I don't see anybody doing that. I'm pretty sure the same people who care about the British accents for Victory are the same ones who would have preferred French actors for Unity, or Italian actors for Ezio's series.

The one good thing about the English/French split in Unity is a matter of attention. The things to which I needed to react - cries for help, threats from attackers, etc - were in English, and that was jarring at first but after a while it became advantageous to gameplay. If you catch the thief, or kill the criminal, the crime victim reverts straight back to French afterwards because they no longer need your help. It's not ideal, and I'd have been happier with French voices throughout, but as compromise it turned out to have a function in that respect.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I think we will. ACIV's voice cast was pretty incredible, including James Bachman, Ralph Ineson, Matt Ryan, Sean Pertwee, Mark Bonnar, and loads of other really well chosen people. Whoever cast that one really knew what they were doing.

This.

The best part was that they didn't sound stereotypical or cheesy whenever they spoke.

It was realistic...

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Ugh......

You keep saying that. It still doesn't make it true. You're like a broken record - every time this issue comes up, you make this same false accusation.

Everyone who has complained about poor accents wants ALL the bad accents changed. I certainly do. The only reason I don't complain about Ezio's accent is that I didn't even know it was bad until I learned it was just a few weeks ago. How am I supposed to complain when I've never even heard an Italian person speak English before? I don't have any frame of reference, yet you expect me to make as much of a fuss about Ezio as I do about Elise and Arno.

Your previous posts on this issue make it seem like you think that people from the British Isles are unusual in wanting British Isles accents to be made to sound like British Isles accents, but that's the same wherever you go. French people want French accents to sound right, Spanish people want Spanish accents to sound right, etc. You see more British people talking about it here because most people here speak English as their first language and American accents are so similar and Americans don't hear a lot of different accents, whereas British Isles accents are all very different, and British people live and work with people who have lots of different British Isles accents.

And you ascribe all of this to "selfishness". Your attitude on this issue is prejudiced, pure and simple. You just don't seem to care enough about the issue to truly understand it, and you seem to have some sort of chip on your shoulder about people from the British Isles, so you just use your ignorance about this issue to pretend to take a moral stance and to demonize people from the British Isles.

Megas_Doux
12-11-2014, 09:53 PM
I want the accents to sound as accurate as possible or just the actors using their own natural voices. What I DO NOT want though, is reading stuff like "accents in Ezio trilogy were awesome, bring them back Ubi". For I thing there is nothing worse than the goofy stuff we got in AC II to ACR.

By the way are you are saying that american accents and similar???? Well NO!!!!! A native person from the south sounds different from a New Yorker or a Californian, for instance.

Journey93
12-11-2014, 09:57 PM
agreed OP since AC III Ubisoft is obsessed with these British accents I'm sick of it
but they don'T have the balls to make an AC set in Japan or Egypt

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 10:02 PM
agreed OP since AC III Ubisoft is obsessed with these British accents I'm sick of it
but they don'T have the balls to make an AC set in Japan or Egypt

Accents would probably be just as bad or worse if they go to those places .

I'm saying Ezio Trilogy bad. -__-

Hans684
12-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Agree, they should also have French accents in Victory.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Bishop + British accent = $$$$$$

Pr0metheus 1962
12-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Agree, they should also have French accents in Victory.

Using the logic Ubisoft are going with for Unity, that would make perfect sense.

xboxauditore
12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
As someone who lives in England, and therefore hearing them all the time, I am a little sick of hearing them in Assassin's Creed too, at the very least please have an English voice actor, hearing Arno and Shay makes me cringe.

Megas_Doux
12-11-2014, 11:33 PM
As someone who lives in England, and therefore hearing them all the time, I am a little sick of hearing them in Assassin's Creed too, at the very least please have an English voice actor, hearing Arno and Shay makes me cringe.

That is what I feel about Roger Craig and Ezio. Dont get me wrong, his work was PRETTY good, but the accent was awful haha.

Xstantin
12-11-2014, 11:36 PM
I just wish cockney guards threatening to arrange Arno's teeth would go.

bitebug2003
12-12-2014, 12:12 AM
The guard banter AC: Unity is over the top and contextually disproportionate, as is the detection rate (too often it goes into the yellow for Arno doing nothing).
People aren't allowed to run in Paris? I get threatened because I'm running?

Most of the citizens speak French unless it's crowd event.
I don't like that most main characters and guards have a British accent regardless of whether it's fake or not (I am British).
I can't connect to Paris in a way I could connect to Rome as just feels wrong.

The exploration I love and I love the game so far but at least give us French accents like in AC: Liberation.

The ACII AC:B guards and the citizens reacted according to Ezio's actions - They were more believable and who can forget the banter when you throw money lol

I thrive on silliness and humour :) I don't get that in AC: Unity (there was some in Black Flag and Rogue but no where as much as in Rome)

Megas_Doux
12-12-2014, 12:33 AM
I set the game in French everytime I free roam.....

Pr0metheus 1962
12-12-2014, 12:35 AM
I thrive on silliness and humour :) I don't get that in AC: Unity (there was some in Black Flag and Rogue but no where as much as in Rome)

I still remember one conversation between two NPCs in AC1, where the one guy was explaining to the other something about how portraits in that time were unrealistic. I don't recall the details, but it was so knowingly anachronistic that it made me laugh out loud. These days the games are so humorless - the characters never make fun of themselves anymore. The only bit of humor in Unity is the bit where one of those sans-culottes is interrogating a citizen that you have to save, and they're arguing about "Le Comte de Frou-Frou" being a joke name. It's taken straight out of Blackadder III. It's funny, but not very original.

xboxauditore
12-12-2014, 01:11 AM
I set the game in French everytime I free roam.....

You can do that? Hmmm, interesting.

VestigialLlama4
12-12-2014, 03:33 AM
I want the accents to sound as accurate as possible or just the actors using their own natural voices. What I DO NOT want though, is reading stuff like "accents in Ezio trilogy were awesome, bring them back Ubi". For I thing there is nothing worse than the goofy stuff we got in AC II to ACR.

Everyone who has complained about poor accents wants ALL the bad accents changed. I certainly do. The only reason I don't complain about Ezio's accent is that I didn't even know it was bad until I learned it was just a few weeks ago. How am I supposed to complain when I've never even heard an Italian person speak English before?

The person who defended the Italianate English in the Ezio Trilogy and the Turkic-English was me.

The way I see it, between two bad choices - cliched Italian (and other Italian) accents that give English speakers a level of immersion in the culture - versus - poncy imitations of BBC English that sound like RSC rejects - I consider Option 1 better.

Anyway, I also defended the use of Italian partly because Megas_Doux has never been especially specific about how the accents in the English version (as opposed to the Italian dub) is wrong. Italy has regional variation in accents, so much so, that nearly all their films are dubbed in post-production by actors who speak the Newspeak Accent to correct the regionalism of actual Italian actors. So Ubisoft had real problems and confusion to face there. As opposed to France, who are quite notorious for centralizing the accent and method of speech.

Hans684
12-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Using the logic Ubisoft are going with for Unity, that would make perfect sense.

It would be more immersive since the Animus translate it :rolleyes:

PTE Reilly
12-12-2014, 06:20 AM

hmmm not all the time, I mind hearing a lot of scottish accents in AC3 and Black Flag

Trih333
12-15-2014, 10:10 PM
I still remember one conversation between two NPCs in AC1, where the one guy was explaining to the other something about how portraits in that time were unrealistic. I don't recall the details, but it was so knowingly anachronistic that it made me laugh out loud. These days the games are so humorless - the characters never make fun of themselves anymore. The only bit of humor in Unity is the bit where one of those sans-culottes is interrogating a citizen that you have to save, and they're arguing about "Le Comte de Frou-Frou" being a joke name. It's taken straight out of Blackadder III. It's funny, but not very original.

Well... it's funny you said that because some of the npc's banter in french can also get pretty funny... except of course you won't understand it because they didn't subtitled it.
The one that gets me everytime is one of the homeless guy in la cour des miracles who happens to not have any arms, and constantly spouts french puns about being "armless"
For instance his girlfriend went for another guy who had "long arms" (avoir le bras long in french means having friends in high places)