PDA

View Full Version : How AC: Rogue made me like Connor as an Assassin even more (venting/Rant) (SPOILERS)

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 12:02 AM
THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT THREAD. DO NOT REPLY TO POSTS THAT BASH CONNOR.

So....this is gonna be a rant. I don't care that people have seen enough Connor topics, if you don't care, don't click on the thread and make it relevant, let it sink into oblivion. Don't be a part of your subjective problem.

Anyways, I haven't played Rogue yet but I watched all of it. It made me rewatch some important bits from AC III and it's A LOT different. a lot of lines, a lot of characters are shown in a different light to me. Achilles seems to have more of an agenda. His insistence on killing Haytham (especially after seeing that he's the one who crippled him) makes it more about some measure of payback for Achilles.
His line about destroying the world makes MUCH more sense too. As does his cynicism towards everything Connor does and says. It makes their bond as Assassins much more impactful. You see Achilles' brotherhood and then Connor's. undoubtedly, Connor has managed to build a much better Brotherhood. Achilles created it and then watched it die then Connor started all over. From being a brotherhood that utilizes the underground and stops Templars by controlling districts using gangs, to a brotherhood that's a lot more in line with helping people.

Now, on to my point. i HATE HATE HATE that Ubisoft is ignoring Connor. I was okay with it but Rogue just made it bad, for some reason. I hate that he's being glossed over, I hate that he only got a friggin, brief, irrelevant name drop, I hate that this is supposed to be his sendoff (Kenway closing chapter my toe nail). I don't care that some didn't like him, there are A LOT who did. He won a friggin award. I don't want a sequel, I don't want anything big, I just want a proper send off, heck, I don't even want to see his death, just a send-off. They set all of this amazing stuff in AC IV DLC and initiates, where hey, Connor contacts Eseosa for training in 1804 and hey, Connor contacts Aveline to recruit Patience Gibbs in 1784. They had all of this set up and then poof. Nothing. It's frustrating when some build up in a character I invested in emotionally has no pay off. It's frustrating when one of my favorite characters ever gets glossed over. It's frustrating to see that they have no pride in their work. Yes, sure, I get that this is a business and money is priority but why not give back? AC III made them a lot of money and brought in a lot of fans. Shouldn't they give back to the people who invested in the game and its star?

I don't really care about "proper endings" He had a complete arc but I just want the send-off. Rogue is NOT a send off. Maybe if they didnt label Rogue as the closing chapter, I wouldn't be as mad.

It's just very very frustrating. For the record, I don't care if you thought Connor was boring, bad or what the **** ever negative thing. This is obviously a thread for people who care about the guy. If anyone like Pr0m shows up, IGNORE THEM.

Altair1789
12-11-2014, 12:22 AM
I agree. I just hope Connor gets an interesting ending, like Ezio and Altaïr did. I don't want Ubisoft to publish a book or something that just says "Connor got married, had kids, and later died of constipation. The end."

I don't think Rogue is the ACTUAL end of the Kenway saga, regardless of what Ubisoft says. If they did that, then a lot of people like us would be mad. I think Connor might play an important role in something else, but they don't want to tell us. Who knows

GoldenBoy9999
12-11-2014, 12:23 AM
I see what you're saying. I definitely would've liked some more nods to Connor besides a brief mention. They could have done SOMETHING else with Connor in Rogue. I was expecting some kind of surprise for the fans or maybe some hint at a Connor game or what/where Connor will go next.

And yes, I want to see Connor have an ending. I wouldn't be upset that Connor wasn't in Rogue if I thought we'd get another Connor game/book. That doesn't seem likely at the moment though because of the things we've heard from Ubi. :(

TahjaEstes
12-11-2014, 12:28 AM
Agreed. After seeing the story line for Rogue it definitely boosted my appreciation for Connor by a LOT, which is strange since he really isn't even IN it, but I feel like I understand his story a lot better now even just through Achilles eyes.

My favorite part about ACIII was building up the Brotherhood (and the Homestead). I wanted to see WAY more of that. I wanted the DLC to feature more of that, but no such luck. I'd always wanted to know just what happened to even let it fall into the state that it had and why Achilles was spared. I'm glad that Rogue gives us that much, but Connor deserved a lot more than just a Templar-biased footnote. :(

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 12:31 AM
And yes, I want to see Connor have an ending. I wouldn't be upset that Connor wasn't in Rogue if I thought we'd get another Connor game/book. That doesn't seem likely at the moment though because of the things we've heard from Ubi. :(
EXACTLY. It's the fact that they called Rogue the closing chapter. Dafuq is this closing chapter?

"Connor got married, had kids, and later died of constipation. The end."
Seems like the road they're taking now with him.

Altair1789
12-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Agreed. After seeing the story line for Rogue it definitely boosted my appreciation for Connor by a LOT, which is strange since he really isn't even IN it, but I feel like I understand his story a lot better now even just through Achilles eyes.

My favorite part about ACIII was building up the Brotherhood (and the Homestead). I wanted to see WAY more of that. I wanted the DLC to feature more of that, but no such luck. I'd always wanted to know just what happened to even let it fall into the state that it had and why Achilles was spared. I'm glad that Rogue gives us that much, but Connor deserved a lot more than just a Templar-biased footnote. :(

I'd have loved an assassin recruiting system like Brotherhood's in AC3. It would have felt more like you're rebuilding the brotherhood if we could have more than 6 assassins

JustPlainQuirky
12-11-2014, 12:38 AM
TBH I thought the name drop was foreshadowing a MASSIVE confrontation between Shay and Connor (and perhaps some others as seen in my signature)

I could see it being an Eseosa game. That way we see Connor's ending in a game.

But I highly doubt we'll get a non-spin off AC game starring any colonial characters again....#ShouldBeRogueDLC

Altair1789
12-11-2014, 12:40 AM
TBH I thought the name drop was foreshadowing a MASSIVE confrontation between Shay and Connor (and perhaps some others as seen in my signature)

But I highly doubt we'll get a non-spin off AC game starring any colonial characters again....#ShouldBeRogueDLC

A Rogue DLC with Eseosa and Connor would be the realistic best case scenario for me. As long as it has relevance to the main plot of the game, unlike Tyranny of King Washington

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 12:41 AM

I don't see it happening. If they did nothing with what Initiates set up, they wont do anything with name drop. I just don't see any indication.

I'd have loved an assassin recruiting system like Brotherhood's in AC3. It would have felt more like you're rebuilding the brotherhood if we could have more than 6 assassins
Rebuilding the Brotherhood was more than just recruiting Assassins, I think. It was also about building the Homestead. Besides, Recruiting 10 with no personality and no distinction or 6 with their own stories and characters? I prefer the latter to be honest.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Yeah, this saddens me as the "closing chapter" of the Kenway Saga when it hardly featured a Kenway.

Hell, Haytham's role was pointless really...I would've been fine if we didn't know that point of his life.

Regarding Connor, it is a sad thing indeed. Especially since I'd like to think he was supposed to be the focal point of the Kenways and their struggle.

But like you, I'd like a send-off.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2014, 12:42 AM
I get that. I think it's weird that they didn't even label this as the "closing chapter" of the American saga, but of the Kenway Saga.
The protagonist isn't even a Kenway, and Haytham is the only Kenway in the game (and his appearance isn't all that long anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Shay as a character... but the fact that he seems to act as a stand-in for characters that we actually knew and cared about before this year (like Connor, Haytham, Achilles, etc.), I'll always have a bit of a grudge against him.

JustPlainQuirky
12-11-2014, 12:45 AM
It pisses me off Rogue was said to mark the end of the Kenway saga.

As AWESOME as Rogue's story is, Haytham was hardly a focus. It should not have been considered a 'kenway' game.

Because it isn't a kenway game. its a Cormac game.

@M

Then I will keep nagging Ubisoft til they do make it happen or block me.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 12:46 AM
but the fact that he seems to act as a stand-in for characters that we actually knew and cared about before this year (like Connor, Haytham, Achilles, etc.), I'll always have a bit of a grudge against him.
Much as I don't want it to seem that way, I can't help but agree. I like Shay but seeing a closing chapter to my favorite characters through his eyes will always leave a bitter taste in mouth towards Ubisoft and Rogue.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 12:48 AM
I get that. I think it's weird that they didn't even label this as the "closing chapter" of the American saga, but of the Kenway Saga.
The protagonist isn't even a Kenway, and Haytham is the only Kenway in the game (and his appearance isn't all that long anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Shay as a character... but the fact that he seems to act as a stand-in for characters that we actually knew and cared about before this year (like Connor, Haytham, Achilles, etc.), I'll always have a bit of a grudge against him.

Agreed. I really like Shay and all but story shouldn't have been the end.

If anything, a revelations-like game featuring the Kenways would've been incredible, but it wasn't meant to be.

rprkjj
12-11-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm guessing we'll get a Chronicles game for him. I feel like Rogue isn't going to get DLC, so that or an embers style short film are the only plausible send-offs for him. I would actually love to see the Northwest Indian War from Connors perspective in a game using Unity's engine. He has a lot of potential as a character and his ending is the most ambiguous among the protagonists and really of any major AC character. I really wanna see how close his blonde wife and gruesome end are to reality.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 01:03 AM
What's so annoying is that they keep teasing. Every year, something comes up and then leads to nothing. it's SO annoying. Okay, he's a bad investment, why keep teasing? why keep setting things up for no pay off in the end?

I'm guessing we'll get a Chronicles game for him. I feel like Rogue isn't going to get DLC, so that or an embers style short film are the only plausible send-offs for him. I would actually love to see the Northwest Indian War from Connors perspective in a game using Unity's engine. He has a lot of potential as a character and his ending is the most ambiguous among the protagonists and really of any major AC character. I really wanna see how close his blonde wife and gruesome end are to reality.
I would totally take a chronicles game or an embers style film. Despite what people say, I think Chronicles Chine will be awesome.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 01:05 AM
What's so annoying is that they keep teasing. Every year, something comes up and then leads to nothing. it's SO annoying. Okay, he's a bad investment, why keep teasing? why keep setting things up for no pay off in the end?

I would totally take a chronicles game or an embers style film. Despite what people say, I think Chronicles Chine will be awesome.

Because they like to see us dance. -__-

so that or an embers style short film are the only plausible send-offs for him.

Agreed, this would be a great way to send him off.

I would actually love to see the Northwest Indian War from Connors perspective in a game using Unity's engine.

That would be Epic. :cool:

I shall play it in my dreams...

He has a lot of potential as a character and his ending is the most ambiguous among the protagonists and really of any major AC character. I really wanna see how close his blonde wife and gruesome end are to reality.

Same here.

It is very interesting and ambiguous for an ending.

rprkjj
12-11-2014, 01:07 AM
Also, considering he's 48 by the time he meets Eseosa in 1804, there's a lot of potential for another sailing game during the Barbary wars bookending the War of 1812.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 01:09 AM
Also, considering he's 48 by the time he meets Eseosa in 1804, there's a lot of potential for another sailing game during the Barbary wars bookending the War of 1812.
Probably gonna waste on some random nobody, like they wasted his setting and family's closing chapter.

rprkjj
12-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Probably gonna waste on some random nobody, like they wasted his setting and family's closing chapter.

True, he'd probably get a major supporting role with his son leading.

Hood2theBurbs
12-11-2014, 01:12 AM
While I want to see Connor get a proper send off I do not want to see more tragedy in his life. I got enough of it in ACIII and, by the looks of all this side stuff Ubi has put out lately that's exactly the track they're headed down. I mean seriously give the guy a break.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 01:12 AM
he'd probably get a major supporting role with his son leading.
just............ANYTHING

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 01:14 AM
While I want to see Connor get a proper send off I do not want to see more tragedy in his life. I got enough of it in ACIII and, by the looks of all this side stuff Ubi has put out lately that's exactly the track they're headed down. I mean seriously give the guy a break.
Edward had a pretty tragic death but they managed to give him a great (if not second best) send off for any protagonist I have played with.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Edward had a pretty tragic death but they managed to give him a great (if not second best) send off for any protagonist I have played with.

What was the first?

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 01:16 AM
What was the first?
Ezio and John Marston tied.

Hood2theBurbs
12-11-2014, 01:21 AM

Yes Edward's death was tragic but his story in AC4 isn't necessarily what I would call tragic like the Connor's was. I really just want to see my favorite character ever be happy. Now if they decide to kill him off they need to do it in a meaningful and proper way, not make it tragic for the sake of tragedy. Not sure if that makes any sense?

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 01:23 AM

Oh, okay. :rolleyes:

Yes Edward's death was tragic but his story in AC4 isn't necessarily what I would call tragic like the Connor's was. I really just want to see my favorite character ever be happy. Now if they decide to kill him off they need to do it in a meaningful and proper way, not make it tragic for the sake of tragedy. Not sure if that makes any sense?

Well me met someone. So that combined with the Homestead townsfolk and the brotherhood means he was happy at some point.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 01:27 AM
I know, I know.

Sure, my point was that a send off doesn't necessarily have to be a death, you know? Just a final goodbye, a simple nod, a pay off.

GoldenBoy9999
12-11-2014, 01:37 AM
so that or an embers style short film are the only plausible send-offs for him.

I'd be cool with that. I loved Embers and something of that quality would be awesome. It'd be even more relieving since it centers around my man Connor. :cool:

I would actually love to see the Northwest Indian War from Connors perspective in a game using Unity's engine.

That's been in my top 10 requested AC games for quite a while. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever see it.

Hood2theBurbs
12-11-2014, 01:41 AM

Well me met someone. So that combined with the Homestead townsfolk and the brotherhood means he was happy at some point.

That's exactly what I want to see as a send off for the character, I would like to see Connor bumble around trying to impress a girl, I want to see him train the future generation of Assassin's, that would make a great send off imo.

@M I got your point I just don't trust Ubi to give us something like that, know what I mean?

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2014, 01:44 AM

So....this is gonna be a rant. I don't care that people have seen enough Connor topics, if you don't care, don't click on the thread and make it relevant, let it sink into oblivion. Don't be a part of your subjective problem.

Anyways, I haven't played Rogue yet but I watched all of it. It made me rewatch some important bits from AC III and it's A LOT different. a lot of lines, a lot of characters are shown in a different light to me. Achilles seems to have more of an agenda. His insistence on killing Haytham (especially after seeing that he's the one who crippled him) makes it more about some measure of payback for Achilles.
His line about destroying the world makes MUCH more sense too. As does his cynicism towards everything Connor does and says. It makes their bond as Assassins much more impactful. You see Achilles' brotherhood and then Connor's. undoubtedly, Connor has managed to build a much better Brotherhood. Achilles created it and then watched it die then Connor started all over. From being a brotherhood that utilizes the underground and stops Templars by controlling districts using gangs, to a brotherhood that's a lot more in line with helping people.

Now, on to my point. i HATE HATE HATE that Ubisoft is ignoring Connor. I was okay with it but Rogue just made it bad, for some reason. I hate that he's being glossed over, I hate that he only got a friggin, brief, irrelevant name drop, I hate that this is supposed to be his sendoff (Kenway closing chapter my toe nail). I don't care that some didn't like him, there are A LOT who did. He won a friggin award. I don't want a sequel, I don't want anything big, I just want a proper send off, heck, I don't even want to see his death, just a send-off. They set all of this amazing stuff in AC IV DLC and initiates, where hey, Connor contacts Eseosa for training in 1804 and hey, Connor contacts Aveline to recruit Patience Gibbs in 1784. They had all of this set up and then poof. Nothing. It's frustrating when some build up in a character I invested in emotionally has no pay off. It's frustrating when one of my favorite characters ever gets glossed over. It's frustrating to see that they have no pride in their work. Yes, sure, I get that this is a business and money is priority but why not give back? AC III made them a lot of money and brought in a lot of fans. Shouldn't they give back to the people who invested in the game and its star?

I don't really care about "proper endings" He had a complete arc but I just want the send-off. Rogue is NOT a send off. Maybe if they didnt label Rogue as the closing chapter, I wouldn't be as mad.

It's just very very frustrating. For the record, I don't care if you thought Connor was boring, bad or what the **** ever negative thing. This is obviously a thread for people who care about the guy. If anyone like Pr0m shows up, IGNORE THEM.

You and I have had our differences on other issues, but on this one I agree completely.

There are many ways they can resolve Connor's character and they had many chances. For various petty marketing reasons, they are listening to a tiny vocal minority. I mean yeah Connor wasn't Ezio but so what?

I hate the snideness with which they treat or dismiss Connor's story. Like putting a bit in ROGUE where Melanie Lemay(who obviously is a representative of Anti-Connor fans) makes snide remarks saying, "Don't ask me how he died? LOL!"

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 01:45 AM
That's exactly what I want to see as a send off for the character, I would like to see Connor bumble around trying to impress a girl, I want to see him train the future generation of Assassin's, that would make a great send off imo.

Then he has a talk with an elderly Irish man before killing him as his wife looks in horror. :rolleyes:

Hood2theBurbs
12-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Then he has a talk with an elderly Irish man before killing him as his wife looks in horror. :rolleyes:

Oh you're such a joker :rolleyes:

I'm coming for you first Templar

Hood2theBurbs
12-11-2014, 01:50 AM
You and I have had our differences on other issues, but on this one I agree completely.

There are many ways they can resolve Connor's character and they had many chances. For various petty marketing reasons, they are listening to a tiny vocal minority. I mean yeah Connor wasn't Ezio but so what?

I hate the snideness with which they treat or dismiss Connor's story. Like putting a bit in ROGUE where Melanie Lemay(who obviously is a representative of Anti-Connor fans) makes snide remarks saying, "Don't ask me how he died? LOL!"

OMG this, it's so freakin irritating isn't it? They be trolling Connor fans so hard.

mikeyf1999
12-11-2014, 01:50 AM

I don't see lee everett on here

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 01:55 AM
Oh you're such a joker :rolleyes:

I'm coming for you first Templar

I know. :rolleyes:

Technically I'm the grandmaster, so I'll be last you have to kill. :cool:

Like you will. ^^

And this is the Templar language, use the Assassin one.

Black & White. :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 01:58 AM
I don't see lee everett on here
Never played the walking dead.

Dammit, yes. I always hated arguing with you because I agree with you on SO many points, being a Connor fan is one of them. Honestly, when you first made that thread about Ubi's treatment of Connor and that email, I thought "ehhhh, it's not THAT bad" but that was before I knew that Rogue has no DLC and that Connor only gets name dropped once in an irrelevant scene.

So what if Ezio was the only universally loved guy? So what if Connor had more people who disliked? He still had a lot of fans. I seriously resent Ubisoft for that one fact: One of their best creations given such a terrible treatment.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Who need complex characters when we can have one that says jokes? :rolleyes:

bgfgty66
12-11-2014, 02:08 AM
before I knew that Rogue has no DLC and that Connor only gets name dropped once in an irrelevant scene.what? when was this confirmed

orionsrise
12-11-2014, 02:10 AM

This. Though if you don't mind my elaborating.
Adewale's confrontation with Haytham Royally P***** me off. Haytham totally blows off the man who knew his father best. And yet Hatham goes and kills Birch his mentor because he did kill Edward Haytham's father. Which does kind of explain why Haytham didn't kill Conor, but is completely FUBARed in overall reasoning to the story arc. And then one mention, ONE SNIVELING LITTLE MENTION OF CONORS NAME! THAT IS THE WRAP UP OF THE MOST INTERESTING AND COMPLICATED PROTAGONIST UBISOFT HAS EVER DREAMED OF? ONE GOD **** LINE? I get he wasn't liked by all but who the hell cares. He is still an integral part of the whole franchise. He deserves much better than this. My only hope comes from what Shay told Arno's father before he killed him. "Then we shall start our own rebellion. " It would be nice if he ment the Whiskey Rebellion, but I know it was just foreshadowing for Unity and it just breaks my heart. Well I've yelled enough I guess thanks for starting it.

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 02:11 AM
I agree. I just hope Connor gets an interesting ending, like Ezio and Altaïr did. I don't want Ubisoft to publish a book or something that just says "Connor got married, had kids, and later died of constipation. The end."

I actually like this approach, and not because I dislike Connor. It's the kind of ending I originally wanted to Altaïr, my favorite character. I wanted it for Ezio after AC2. Thing is, I really HATE this idea that every hero is supposed to die doing something heroic or that there has to be some mystery surrounding their death (like the neverending debate about the guy who sat next to him when Ezio died). I LOVE the moments where Desmond asks Shaun "hey, whatever happened to so-and-so?" and Shaun tells him the historical truth, which is usually something really mundane and/or depressing, like "she died of pneumonia at the age of 23". That's LIFE. That feels real. I cannot express how much I hate the fan theories for a given character that we don't know much about that give him/her a super-cliché "final battle" where they "prove their worth" one last time. Like how everyone was fine with Haytham's dad being killed by a couple of burglars back when we didn't know anything about him, but as soon as AC4 came out and Edward turned out to be a fearsome pirate, everyone was like: "That book was stupid, that can't be how he died! Edward was too smart for a couple of random thugs! There must be something more to it, Abstergo must have tampered with the records!" etc.

People die of the stupidest reasons all the time. I LOVE the idea of a badass assassin who does all these amazing feats in their prime only to die of slipping in the shower. It's especially fitting for Connor whose entire life was one big crapfest. He had a few shining moments where he thought he could be happy for once, and then things always rapidly got worse. His tenacity to fight on despite those odds is what made him so appealing (to some). We knew from the very start that his life was going to be a miserable one. We also knew he was driven and became so obsessed with vengeance towards Charles Lee that it blinded him to his own pursuit of happiness. Tragedy defines his character. It makes sense for his end to be the most tragic of all: to die alone, unloved and forgotten by history.

Now, with all that said....

I do agree with OP on one thing: Rogue short-changed Connor fans. Had the game been advertised simply as an assassin-turned-Templar story with an all-new cast, there wouldn't be a problem. But it was advertised as wrapping up the Kenway saga, without actually wrapping up ALL of the Kenways. A more accurate description would be wrapping up the most popular Kenways, which Edward and Haytham arguably were. Another reason Rogue, in my eyes, still is and always will be a cheap cash grab. It wasn't done for genuine reasons, it wasn't about providing fans with much-needed closure. We already had all the closure we needed. Rogue simply gave SOME characters more, and that's why it feels cheap.

I-Like-Pie45
12-11-2014, 02:14 AM
what about joel and ellie, m

Journey93
12-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Couldn't agree more poor Connor
such an interesting protagonist just getting screwed over by Ubisoft
instead we got boring ****s like Arno

And its almost as if they enjoy tormenting the connor fans for an example that info about Connor that his wife left him etc.
WTF so we don't even get to see a proper send off for the guy and instead just get to learn that his life got even more depressing
and while Rogue had an interesting story for the most part claiming for it to be the final chapter in the Kenway Saga is laughable I barely even noticed Haytham

wvstolzing
12-11-2014, 02:24 AM

What's that got to do with anything?

Connor's neglect is one of the worst cases of an ongoing trend in AC -- I think that Clay has also been subjected to that kind of treatment.

At this point one can't expect anything better from the writers; it'll be one collection of cardboard characters in some cardboard struggle set against an 'interesting' backdrop, until sales numbers tell them it's time to start a new franchise.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 02:26 AM
I actually like this approach, and not because I dislike Connor. It's the kind of ending I originally wanted to Altaïr, my favorite character. I wanted it for Ezio after AC2. Thing is, I really HATE this idea that every hero is supposed to die doing something heroic or that there has to be some mystery surrounding their death (like the neverending debate about the guy who sat next to him when Ezio died). I LOVE the moments where Desmond asks Shaun "hey, whatever happened to so-and-so?" and Shaun tells him the historical truth, which is usually something really mundane and/or depressing, like "she died of pneumonia at the age of 23". That's LIFE. That feels real. I cannot express how much I hate the fan theories for a given character that we don't know much about that give him/her a super-cliché "final battle" where they "prove their worth" one last time. Like how everyone was fine with Haytham's dad being killed by a couple of burglars back when we didn't know anything about him, but as soon as AC4 came out and Edward turned out to be a fearsome pirate, everyone was like: "That book was stupid, that can't be how he died! Edward was too smart for a couple of random thugs! There must be something more to it, Abstergo must have tampered with the records!" etc.
I actually didn't mind that we never knew anything about Connor's later life. I was fine with Tyranny being the send off (even if it WAS shared with GW) But then they kept planting all these seeds, one after one after one and then say that Rogue is the closing chapter and then Rogue comes out and NOTHING is added to Connor's story but a Templar side note and it's ANOTHER friggin set up for no pay off. I really don't care how he died, I just want a send off. The closing chapter SHOULD have been his send off. I totally liked that Altair's death was never revealed (until ACR). It had a sense of mystique and badassness to the character. I agree with you, believe me.

People die of the stupidest reasons all the time. I LOVE the idea of a badass assassin who does all these amazing feats in their prime only to die of slipping in the shower. It's especially fitting for Connor whose entire life was one big crapfest. He had a few shining moments where he thought he could be happy for once, and then things always rapidly got worse. His tenacity to fight on despite those odds is what made him so appealing (to some). We knew from the very start that his life was going to be a miserable one. We also knew he was driven and became so obsessed with vengeance towards Charles Lee that it blinded him to his own pursuit of happiness. Tragedy defines his character. It makes sense for his end to be the most tragic of all: to die alone, unloved and forgotten by history.
Please no....everything else, agreed...but please, let History at least remember him as this legend who saved the brotherhood.

I do agree with OP on one thing: Rogue short-changed Connor fans. Had the game been advertised simply as an assassin-turned-Templar story with an all-new cast, there wouldn't be a problem. But it was advertised as wrapping up the Kenway saga, without actually wrapping up ALL of the Kenways. A more accurate description would be wrapping up the most popular Kenways, which Edward and Haytham arguably were. Another reason Rogue, in my eyes, still is and always will be a cheap cash grab. It wasn't done for genuine reasons, it wasn't about providing fans with much-needed closure. We already had all the closure we needed. Rogue simply gave SOME characters more, and that's why it feels cheap.
A closing chapter that has no pay off.

Liked it before Neil explained it.

This. Though if you don't mind my elaborating.

Adewale's confrontation with Haytham Royally P***** me off. Haytham totally blows off the man who knew his father best. And yet Hatham goes and kills Birch his mentor because he did kill Edward Haytham's father. Which does kind of explain why Haytham didn't kill Conor, but is completely FUBARed in overall reasoning to the story arc. And then one mention, ONE SNIVELING LITTLE MENTION OF CONORS NAME! THAT IS THE WRAP UP OF THE MOST INTERESTING AND COMPLICATED PROTAGONIST UBISOFT HAS EVER DREAMED OF? ONE GOD **** LINE? I get he wasn't liked by all but who the hell cares. He is still an integral part of the whole franchise. He deserves much better than this. My only hope comes from what Shay told Arno's father before he killed him. "Then we shall start our own rebellion. " It would be nice if he ment the Whiskey Rebellion, but I know it was just foreshadowing for Unity and it just breaks my heart. Well I've yelled enough I guess thanks for starting it.
You're most welcome.

what? when was this confirmed
It has no season pass, that basically confirms no DLC.

wvstolzing
12-11-2014, 02:33 AM
Liked it before Neil explained it.

May I ask what that was?

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 02:35 AM

Now, with all that said....

I agree with this...

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 02:36 AM
May I ask what that was?
"“Then we come to that ending and that lie and that okay and what does that okay mean? It’s definitely not a complacent ‘yea I’ll go along with you’, in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s Ellie waking up for the first time, waking up and realizing she can’t rely on him anymore. While she loves him for what he’s done for her, she hates him for robbing her of that choice. She knows that she has to leave him and make her own decisions and mistakes.”"

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 02:39 AM
"“Then we come to that ending and that lie and that okay and what does that okay mean? It’s definitely not a complacent ‘yea I’ll go along with you’, in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s Ellie waking up for the first time, waking up and realizing she can’t rely on him anymore. While she loves him for what he’s done for her, she hates him for robbing her of that choice. She knows that she has to leave him and make her own decisions and mistakes.”"

Da hell? :confused:

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2014, 02:45 AM
I actually like this approach, and not because I dislike Connor. It's the kind of ending I originally wanted to Altaïr, my favorite character. I wanted it for Ezio after AC2.Thing is, I really HATE this idea that every hero is supposed to die doing something heroic or that there has to be some mystery surrounding their death (like the neverending debate about the guy who sat next to him when Ezio died). I LOVE the moments where Desmond asks Shaun "hey, whatever happened to so-and-so?" and Shaun tells him the historical truth, which is usually something really mundane and/or depressing, like "she died of pneumonia at the age of 23". That's LIFE. That feels real.

Well then how do you explain the many people in life and history who do die in ways that are awesome, memorable and impactful. That is ALSO LIFE too.

I cannot express how much I hate the fan theories for a given character that we don't know much about that give him/her a super-cliché "final battle" where they "prove their worth" one last time. Like how everyone was fine with Haytham's dad being killed by a couple of burglars back when we didn't know anything about him, but as soon as AC4 came out and Edward turned out to be a fearsome pirate, everyone was like: "That book was stupid, that can't be how he died! Edward was too smart for a couple of random thugs! There must be something more to it, Abstergo must have tampered with the records!" etc.

In Oliver Bowden's UNITY novel, his own daughter notes that Edward should have taken care of those thugs since he had done it time and time again before. She shrugs by saying that "the first fight you lose is the one that kills you". In terms of gameplay it's pretty absurd that this guy slips up against those thugs in the backstory. Considering how much harder Arno's combat is, I would believe it if he died like that.

People die of the stupidest reasons all the time. I LOVE the idea of a badass assassin who does all these amazing feats in their prime only to die of slipping in the shower.

And why is it that the first one that gets this embarassing death has to be the supposedly unpopular(by a vocal minority in self-denial about its racism) has to be Connor. If it had happened to Altair or Ezio no one would have complained or had issues. But it has to be Connor, why? Because it's funny, if so to whom?

Tragedy defines his character. It makes sense for his end to be the most tragic of all: to die alone, unloved and forgotten by history.

I'd say Connor is pretty loved and remembered among Assassins. The French Assassins think he's the s-it. Charles Dorian basically tells Shay, "Haw-haw, Connor screwed up all your achievements." Pierre Bellec wants to BE Connor (and he puts him beside Altair and Ezio) and he's the most popular Assassin in the game, among fans. And Desmond in those Black Flag mobile recordings says that Connor was the most inspiring one for him since he never gave up.

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 02:51 AM

Meh, I just see it as one possible interpretation. Even if he's the writer (I assume) and therefore "official", a creative work never belongs to just one person, even if the person is the creator. I prefer that situation having multiple possible outcomes.

wvstolzing
12-11-2014, 02:52 AM

Thanks. That's actually how I've always interpreted that 'ok'. I also think that letting the player take control of Ellie on the way to the final cutscene adds to its weight.

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Well then how do you explain the many people in life and history who do die in ways that are awesome, memorable and impactful. That is ALSO LIFE too.

Yeah, and all of them just happen to be assassins! What a coincidence! :rolleyes: Or video game characters in general. Name one game protagonist that has ever died of a mundane reason with no mystery surrounding it.

AC has the potential to be different in that regard, since it's all about history. It has the potential to show that for hundreds of years, many different types of people have lived and died. Some die in battle or defending their loved ones, others die of syphilis or alcoholism. But all AC protagonists we've had so far have died in a heroic way, through self-sacrifice, Templar schemes or in Desmond's case, literally saving the world. Ezio MAY be an exception, but that's still up for debate.

In Oliver Bowden's UNITY novel, his own daughter notes that Edward should have taken care of those thugs since he had done it time and time again before. She shrugs by saying that "the first fight you lose is the one that kills you". In terms of gameplay it's pretty absurd that this guy slips up against those thugs in the backstory. Considering how much harder Arno's combat is, I would believe it if he died like that.

Edward was ambushed in his own home in the middle of the night, in a place he thought safe, while his kids were around and potentially in danger. Anyone would be disoriented. Trained army veterans have died in stranger ways. Does that make them weak or stupid?

And why is it that the first one that gets this embarassing death has to be the supposedly unpopular(by a vocal minority in self-denial about its racism) has to be Connor. If it had happened to Altair or Ezio no one would have complained or had issues. But it has to be Connor, why? Because it's funny, if so to whom?

Like I said before, I wanted an unceremonious death for my favorite character from the very beginning. Actually I didn't want to know what happened to him at all. Then ACR happened and made both Altaïr and Ezio worse. I wish either of them or both of them had died without us having been shown how it happened. The way their deaths were handled - mysterious, self-sacrificial, the stuff of legends - is why fans now won't accept anything less for ANY assassin. Since Ubi botched up the first two ancestors, I wanted them to make Connor different. They did so, and fans complained. So now we're back to the "heroic deaths for everyone! YOU get a heroic death! And YOU get a heroic death!" formula.

I do find it interesting that you think non-heroic automatically equals embarrassing. Embarrassing is when you spontaneously forget how to breathe. But even an experienced mountain climber can fall off a cliff and die. Is everyone who dies of a disease or a traffic accident an embarrassment in your eyes?

I'd say Connor is pretty loved and remembered among Assassins. The French Assassins think he's the s-it. Charles Dorian basically tells Shay, "Haw-haw, Connor screwed up all your achievements." Pierre Bellec wants to BE Connor (and he puts him beside Altair and Ezio) and he's the most popular Assassin in the game, among fans. And Desmond in those Black Flag mobile recordings says that Connor was the most inspiring one for him since he never gave up.

Which is exactly what I hate about all this. I want Connor to be different. I want him to be more like Achilles: to start off as an idealistic young man, only to end up embittered and alone. He revived the brotherhood, only for it to be (almost) destroyed again in Desmond's time. I don't wish ill on him because I personally dislike his character. I wish ill on him because his entire character is like the embodiment of Murphy's Law. It fits the overall somber tone of AC3: everyone gets screwed except the white colonists, Achilles was right all along, there are no fairytale endings.

Altair1789
12-11-2014, 03:39 AM
I actually like this approach, and not because I dislike Connor. It's the kind of ending I originally wanted to Altaïr, my favorite character. I wanted it for Ezio after AC2

Constipation should be the new templar grandmaster

All joking aside, if constipation was the cause of death for all of our main assassins, I'd actually like that. It's just really funny that they fight off a bunch of templars and die from simple things like that

EDIT: I quickly photoshopped this picture, it's not very good but it gets the message across. :rolleyes:
I think we can all agree this would have been a better ending for Revelations (AC:REVELATIONS SPOILER) http://i.imgur.com/8Dqb5UC.jpg

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2014, 03:49 AM
Name one game protagonist that has ever died of a mundane reason with no mystery surrounding it.

Well there's Johnny Klebitz, who you play in Lost and Damned...but to quote Melanie Lemay from ROGUE, "Don't get me started on how he died. Jeez, what a mess."

Edward was ambushed in his own home in the middle of the night, in a place he thought safe, while his kids were around and potentially in danger. Anyone would be disoriented. Trained army veterans have died in stranger ways. Does that make them weak or stupid?

Ezio was in bed with Caterina Sforza when the Borgia bombed Monteriggioni with Catapults, he still managed to evacuate his villa and survive. If Ezio can survive an army, than Edward should have survived a few thugs. In fact, I hoped after BLACK FLAG that they'd retcon it to make it that he faked his death since from how I read it, it could have been done and we could have gotten another game with him. The decision to make him the star of Black Flag came very late so I have no doubts that had they planned stuff better they would have arranged it well. Again, if they had say made Black Flag's combat a bit harder and not have Edward be such a badass than it would be fine. And Edward was younger than Ezio when he died, touching say, 40.

Like I said before, I wanted an unceremonious death for my favorite character from the very beginning. Actually I didn't want to know what happened to him at all. Then ACR happened and made both Altaïr and Ezio worse. I wish either of them or both of them had died without us having been shown how it happened. The way their deaths were handled - mysterious, self-sacrificial, the stuff of legends - is why fans now won't accept anything less for ANY assassin.

I don't think you understand what legends are. In any legend, knowing how that person died is essential. Let me quote Alan Moore:

"An essential quality of a legend is that the events in it are clearly defined in time; Robin Hood is driven to become an outlaw by the injustices of King John and his minions. That is his origin. He meets Little John, Friar Tuck and all the rest and forms the merry men. He wins the tournament in disguise, he falls in love with Maid Marian and thwarts the Sheriff of Nottingham. That is his career, including love interest, Major Villains and the formation of a superhero group that he is part of. He lives to see the return of Good King Richard and is finally killed by a woman, firing a last arrow to mark the place where he shall be buried. That is his resolution—you can apply the same paradigm to King Arthur, Davy Crockett or Sherlock Holmes with equal success. "

I want Connor to be different. I want him to be more like Achilles: to start off as an idealistic young man, only to end up embittered and alone.

Connor is not Achilles, that's the point. He never gives up, he'll never be embittered and he will never believe that what he struggles for is impossible, even if it is in his lifetime. From that fine speech that was cut for the game(which Darby McDevitt said was a HUGE mistake) but fans dug from the PC Version: ''Compromise. That is what everyone has insisted upon. And so I have learned it. But differently than most, I think…I realize now that it will take time; that the road ahead is long, and shrouded in darkness. It is a road that will not always take me where I wish to go, and I doubt I will live to see its end. But I will travel down it nonetheless. For at my side walks hope. In the face of all that insists I turn back, I carry on. This…This is my compromise.''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d79JHh3cU

He revived the brotherhood, only for it to be (almost) destroyed again in Desmond's time.

The brotherhood in Desmond's time is 240s years after his time, for anything to last that long is pretty remarkable, not assuming of course there weren't shifts and changes in his time.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-11-2014, 04:44 AM
Yeah, this saddens me as the "closing chapter" of the Kenway Saga when it hardly featured a Kenway.

Hell, Haytham's role was pointless really...I would've been fine if we didn't know that point of his life.

Regarding Connor, it is a sad thing indeed. Especially since I'd like to think he was supposed to be the focal point of the Kenways and their struggle.

But like you, I'd like a send-off.

lol. just finished the game and I felt like each mission with Haytham was forced and really awkward.

I mean he should have been wearing a cameo tee-shirt for Christ sake. there has been quite a bit of build up now for new colonial games but strangely ubi doesn't seem to be biting.

Also I want to ask a quick question yes or no answer and nothing else. is shay in unity?
I hope they don't abandon established characters like Shay Aveline and Connor

M8sT3r AsSASs1n
12-11-2014, 04:58 AM
lol. just finished the game and I felt like each mission with Haytham was forced and really awkward.

I mean he should have been wearing a cameo tee-shirt for Christ sake. there has been quite a bit of build up now for new colonial games but strangely ubi doesn't seem to be biting.

Also I want to ask a quick question yes or no answer and nothing else. is shay in unity?

NO, Also disappointing Conner is not in Unity

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 06:15 AM

No, Shay isn't in Unity.

And you're right...missions with Haytham did feel forced in a way and didn't really add anything to the Saga.

Like M said, I would've been alright if this wasn't the end, but since it is, I'm a little disappointed. -__-

And yeah, hopefully they have something in store for the 18th Century crew, but that looks bleak at this point.

Mr.Black24
12-11-2014, 07:37 AM
I really don't understand Ubisoft's logic. Than again, releasing a broken game when they talk so much about making quality products proves that it was gone long ago.

I mean if they want to finish the Kenway Saga, its called the Kenway Saga. Not Kenway Saga and end it with random dude. If I'm going to a fish section to the store, and I want to buy fish, it will make no sense on me coming across vegetables on a fish section. ITS CALLED THE FISH SECTION FOR A REASON!!!! Plus how can completing a full detailed life on Edward and Haytham, but have gaping swiss cheese holes on Connor's life be considered finished? Its like 85% done if you ask me,*Like Unity* :rolleyes: why don't they finish the other percentage, *which should have been done with Unity*:rolleyes: which is Connor's later life! I want to see this blonde woman whom he falls for, how they met, how many kids they had, his role as a Mentor of the American Assassins, enormous character development as a wise and grizzled veteran of war and a Master Assassin, and whatever closure that comes after, either death by Templar blade, or a crippling bed ridden disease. I'm just afraid that if they do make a DLC, that it will be full of awful game stopping glitches too.

Speaking of DLC, for what game should it star in. Unity or Rogue? If we do naval missions, I'm hoping for Rogue's naval mechanics with Unity graphics, that would look incredible! ;)

king-hailz
12-11-2014, 07:55 AM
I didn't think it would happen but I agree with you 100% here Assassin_M. I also haven't played rogue yet and I have just watched the videos... However if ubisoft thought this was a send off to Connor then they are stupid! This made people who didn't like Connor before want an ending... They better make a send off for him now! At least a little movie like embers! WITHOUT ADDING A NEW STORY LINE LIKE THE BOX! Make this the end of Connor and make it good!

What if the movie is about Connor!!!!!

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-11-2014, 12:03 PM

them feels when john died

dxsxhxcx
12-11-2014, 01:26 PM
It would be nice we had a DLC (like Adewale got) for Rogue or Unity where Arno comes to America to find Shay and is helped by Connor...

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Ezio was in bed with Caterina Sforza when the Borgia bombed Monteriggioni with Catapults, he still managed to evacuate his villa and survive. If Ezio can survive an army, than Edward should have survived a few thugs.

Rasputin survived poisoning, 13 bullets and attempted drowning. Therefore Abraham Lincoln should have survived John Wilkes Boothes' bullet. :rolleyes: Do you see the logic fail here?

I don't think you understand what legends are. In any legend, knowing how that person died is essential.

The assassins in AC are supposed to be semi-believable characters. The tales of Robin Hood and King Arthur were greatly embellished by contemporaries or people writing about them hundreds of years after the fact (some legends even say King Arthur never died). AC is supposed to show us a recording of ancestral memories. No room for embellishment. The reason we're even watching them is not to see the assassin's entire life cycle but to find at least one pivotal moment that may benefit modern researchers. That pivotal moment could come as early as when the assassin is 17 or when he's 75. In AC1, we stopped following Altaïr as soon as the Apple showed us a map. We didn't know what the map was, the only person who might have known what meaning it held was Vidic. We didn't follow Altaïr around to see what else he did. All that was important was locating the Apple. Later games started the trend of "every tiny bit of their life is important for full sync, even collecting all these pigeon feathers!".

Connor is not Achilles, that's the point. He never gives up, he'll never be embittered and he will never believe that what he struggles for is impossible, even if it is in his lifetime. From that fine speech that was cut for the game(which Darby McDevitt said was a HUGE mistake) but fans dug from the PC Version: ''Compromise. That is what everyone has insisted upon. And so I have learned it. But differently than most, I think…I realize now that it will take time; that the road ahead is long, and shrouded in darkness. It is a road that will not always take me where I wish to go, and I doubt I will live to see its end. But I will travel down it nonetheless. For at my side walks hope. In the face of all that insists I turn back, I carry on. This…This is my compromise.''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d79JHh3cU

FWIW, I hated that speech. Way too sappy.

And the fact remains that the speech WAS cut, therefore it's not officially canon, any more than Daniel Cross's dying monologue to Desmond. Idealism may be part of who Connor is for most of the game, but by the time he sees the slave trade becoming a booming business and his people having moved on without him, I like to think he becomes a bit more cynical and less trusting of people. Of course everyone is free to interpret his character however they like, I'm just saying that would be my preferred direction if we ever saw him in his final days.

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Rasputin survived poisoning, 13 bullets and attempted drowning.

Actually that's a famous hoax.
http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/mythbusters/646/rasputin_the_indestructible.html

Rasputin's death was exaggerated by gossipmongers. In any case if you want that level of realism, than Ezio and others should have died of a single gunshot wound or a single stab-wound, they should not be able to take any damage at all. So the point of Edward's death being odd still stands. I mean especially for someone who is a player character and so by default the strongest guy in the world at the given moment.

The tales of Robin Hood and King Arthur were greatly embellished by contemporaries or people writing about them hundreds of years after the fact (some legends even say King Arthur never died).

My list of legends also mentions Davy Crockett who is a real person but he endured in many legends. Blackbeard also has legends, as does Jesse James or Bonnie and Clyde to take someone more contemporary. The point is that all legends gain resonance by being complete stories. That's true of Siegfried, the Iliad and Odyssey, the Norse Myths (their Ragnarok defines every action in the present day stories). That is all I mean here. You were the one who used words like legends to describe Altair saying that you wanted it to be a mystery since it would enhance his legendary quality as per you, I said that's not true for other legends (real and fictional).

AC is supposed to show us a recording of ancestral memories. No room for embellishment. The reason we're even watching them is not to see the assassin's entire life cycle but to find at least one pivotal moment that may benefit modern researchers. That pivotal moment could come as early as when the assassin is 17 or when he's 75. In AC1, we stopped following Altaïr as soon as the Apple showed us a map. We didn't know what the map was, the only person who might have known what meaning it held was Vidic. We didn't follow Altaïr around to see what else he did. All that was important was locating the Apple.

Well the point of the Animus is that it allows you to know the memories and life of that ancestor in detail. If it was an imperfect machine where you had brief moments and had a lot of subjectivity then what you say may have been true. In a way, I feel that some of the developers had that choice they would go back and introduce an element of subjectivity there, since it could have perhaps given them more options and room for invention. In any case, there was a PSP sequel to Altair(and a DS prequel - which by the way is inherent in AC1 - there is a brief reference to the character Adha, Altair's first love in the first game) after AC1 came out, so I don't think there was ever a case that the developers decided that they were done with Altair.

And the fact remains that the speech WAS cut, therefore it's not officially canon,

It's there in FORSAKEN, a book which is Canon as you will have to accept since it is where we know Edward died. You can't say that part is canon and the rest is not. In any case, Darby McDevitt said it was cut because of an oversight and that in retrospect they should have put it in.

Idealism may be part of who Connor is for most of the game, but by the time he sees the slave trade becoming a booming business and his people having moved on without him, I like to think he becomes a bit more cynical and less trusting of people.

Well his moment came in the Tyranny DLC where he's seriously tempted to take the Apple and change the world to his image but finally throws it away(which even Altair didn't do). That shows that he's still idealistic.

edunfs
12-11-2014, 05:06 PM
It would be great to see Connor vs Shay.

GunnerGalactico
12-11-2014, 06:43 PM
It would be great to see Connor vs Shay.

I would actually pay to see that :p

I don't really care about the circumstances surrounding Connor's death in general, the fact that he did find a woman for himself and had children indicated that he was indeed happy and content with his life, even if it was only for a short while. After completing Rogue I was a little disappointed that we didn't get some kind of coverage about Connor (even a short cameo at least) and it didn't really feel like a proper end to the whole Kenway saga.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 06:55 PM
it didn't really feel like a proper end to the whole Kenway saga.

IKR? If anything, it felt like that filler episode that ties into an Epic series finale.

But I guess not.

GunnerGalactico
12-11-2014, 07:10 PM
IKR? If anything, it felt like that filler episode that ties into an Epic series finale.

But I guess not.

It was more like winding everybody up for a nice surprise and then..........nothing.

Megas_Doux
12-11-2014, 07:21 PM
My problem with Connor will always be his VA, just dont like Watt´s performance at all.

Hood2theBurbs
12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
It was more like winding everybody up for a nice surprise and then..........nothing.

Yeah, I was at least expecting an epilogue sequence in which Connor showed up, but we got something completely different, and Connor only got lip service instead. And how exactly is this supposed to be the closing chapter of the N America saga if it leaves us with even more unanswered questions?

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
My problem with Connor will always be his VA, just dont like Watt´s performance at all.

What exactly bugs you about his performance?

No debating or arguing, just curious...

GunnerGalactico
12-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Connor's voice doesn't bother me at all. He may have sounded a bit monotone on some parts, but overall I felt that his performance was good.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 07:35 PM

Yep... :'(

CoachAssassin
12-11-2014, 07:52 PM
You know what the problem is M; Ezio. Ezio was given so much closure in every freaking way that all the fans at one point had to be satisfied. As much as Darby tried to at least keep a small sense of mystery and openness into the series with the box, Ubisoft screwed that up as well. If Ezio was given AC2 (not debating the role) and say Yusuf AC Revelations with a small Ezio cameo, then nobody would be complaining about Connor being so totally different or Connor not having the full closing stuff like Ezio did. But someone at Ubisoft felt like milking out the success they had with Ezio. And honestly, Connor not getting closure and them dropping these tiny teasing hints about how his life is even getting a worser turn is because of the fact that there is actually a decent group of Connor fans, and they're passionate for sure. The group isn't big enough to warrant a sequel in their eyes, but it's also too big to say ''never Connor again'' and pissing them off too badly that way.

The saddest part of this story for the die hard Connor fans here is that he actually might reappear the moment this series is on it's last legs, which doesn't give high hopes for the actual story justice/milk ratio.

So yeah, Ezio is the one who messed up pretty much any chance of writing a character that seems realistic or just not be a womanizing god

Megas_Doux
12-11-2014, 08:00 PM
What exactly bugs you about his performance?

No debating or arguing, just curious...

I really cant explain it.......

I just dont like his voice, he does not convince.

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Yep. I'm certain I would have liked Connor's character a lot more with a different voice actor. I don't really have a problem with his personality. But I don't want to turn this into a debate thread.

Megas_Doux
12-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Yep. I'm certain I would have liked Connor's character a lot more with a different voice actor. I don't really have a problem with his personality. But I don't want to turn this into a debate thread.

Neither do I.

Back on topic, Ubi seems to have forgotten him. A shame for his fan base, there might be something in the future, but I just dont see it right now.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 08:04 PM
I really cant explain it.......

I just dont like his voice, he does not convince.

Convince?

EDIT: Still not debating or arguing against you.

Megas_Doux
12-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Convince?

EDIT: Still not debating or arguing against you.

By convince, I think I used in the spanish sense of the word, my bad ;p , I meant that in some situations his voice does not the match what his character is going through. A general concern that I also have with the rest of the mohawk "crew" with the exception of Zio.

Personal perceptions that one cant fully explain as facts for there are opinions.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 08:21 PM
By convince, I think I used in the spanish sense of the word, my bad ;p , I meant that in some situations his voice does not the match what his character is going through. A general concern that I also have with the rest of the mohawk "crew" with the exception of Zio.

Personal perceptions that one cant fully explain as facts for there are opinions.

Ah, well okay.

I understand where you're coming from.

SlyTrooper
12-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Maybe it would be smart to include Shay, Connor & Arno all in one game to close the loose ends? They all have a reason to be in America, so it could make sense. They can make the game from Eseosa's perspective as well if nobody wants to play as the old characters. That way we won't get any fan wars over who the protagonist is & we can have a neutral party involved. Maybe the plot could be along the lines of Shay trying to destroy Connor's brotherhood & Arno coming over to avenge his father, meaning he helps Connor. Eseosa would have to be involved in this because it's all about protecting the Assassins, making him ideal for this spot.

Hans684
12-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Same but it made me hate Achilles, I liked and respected him before Rogue.

SlyTrooper
12-11-2014, 10:29 PM

I never really "liked Achilles". I always thought he was too full of himself. This is the same in Rogue because he refuses to listen to Shay the same way he doesn't listen to Connor.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 10:35 PM

Dude, tell me about it.

Pre-Rogue I was like: "Achilles is the man!"

After Rogue I'm like: "That's the dude that destroyed two cities." :nonchalance:

I never really "liked Achilles". I always thought he was too full of himself. This is the same in Rogue because he refuses to listen to Shay the same way he doesn't listen to Connor.

In a way, I'd like to think he was the way he was with Connor because he pretty much was Connor in his prime.

( Stubborn, tactless, etc.)

But yeah, he was full of himself in both games.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2014, 10:54 PM
So Achilles isn't perfect. Has anyone considered the possibility that he initially refuses to train Connor out of fear for doing more harm... and finally gives in when he realizes that he might redeem himself through the young Assassin?

Hans684
12-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Dude, tell me about it.

Pre-Rogue I was like: "Achilles is the man!"

After Rogue I'm like: "That's the dude that destroyed two cities." :nonchalance:

Agree, a hash but decent Mentor in AC3. Then his reign in Rogue, while it gave more grayness and more meanings to the script("In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it") it just made him so much more different. I'll never view him the same again. It's like when Lucy was revealed as Templar, I wanted her dead then, I viewed the war from Assassin perspective during that time.

Agree in some way but he was more like a "father" in AC3, might be to full of himself but he's not entirely wrong either. I figured his downfall was just a regular Templars beating Assassins case, then Rogue. I've never been so wrong.

Namikaze_17
12-11-2014, 10:59 PM
So Achilles isn't perfect. Has anyone considered the possibility that he initially refuses to train Connor out of fear for doing more harm... and finally gives in when he realizes that he might redeem himself through the young Assassin?

He also used Connor as a tool of revenge to get back at the Templars.

"I can't help but find pride in your success."

I'll never view him the same again.

Same here, friend. :'(

wvstolzing
12-11-2014, 11:04 PM
He also used Connor as a tool of revenge to get back at the Templars.

"I can't help but find pride in your success."

and if he didn't say that, he'd be a callous, self-absorbed whatever? :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Some have misinterpreted by complaint. I'm not complaining about showing Connor's whole life, I don't want to see his entire life, I don't want to know his wife's name, his kid's names, I don't want to know how he died, who killed him...bla bla, I don't care. I just want a proper send off. Edward's send off was the last scene in AC IV. We didn't see how he died, It was just a warm scene with his kids, as a nod to AC III's first scene with Haytham at the opera.

Like I always said, I don't agree that Connor's story is incomplete because I don't agree that closure = death. Connor had a complete character arc but Ubisoft screwed that up by removing his final monologue and proceeding to set up scenarios for Connor that got absolutely no pay off. That pisses me off. The fact that his family's so called "closing chapter" had only a passing mention of him, that Ubisoft screwed up his send off, that Ubisoft is glossing over him. I absolutely detest that.

This is a character that I invested in emotionally, I liked this character. It sucks that don't get a pay off for all of this. Perhaps then I should stop investing into the stories they make and buy AC at half price for now on, since they're so good at setting stuff up and giving no pay off for all the investment. Story is half the game and if I stop investing in it, then there's half of the game gone.

spotgimer
12-11-2014, 11:23 PM
He also used Connor as a tool of revenge to get back at the Templars. :'(

Did it specifically point out that Achilles was getting revenge?
You could also say that he sent Connor to attack the templars.............because they are templars. The assassins oppose the templars; he was trying to bring down their operations.

SixKeys
12-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Some have misinterpreted by complaint. I'm not complaining about showing Connor's whole life, I don't want to see his entire life, I don't want to know his wife's name, his kid's names, I don't want to know how he died, who killed him...bla bla, I don't care. I just want a proper send off. Edward's send off was the last scene in AC IV. We didn't see how he died, It was just a warm scene with his kids, as a nod to AC III's first scene with Haytham at the opera.

Like I always said, I don't agree that Connor's story is incomplete because I don't agree that closure = death. Connor had a complete character arc but Ubisoft screwed that up by removing his final monologue and proceeding to set up scenarios for Connor that got absolutely no pay off. That pisses me off. The fact that his family's so called "closing chapter" had only a passing mention of him, that Ubisoft screwed up his send off, that Ubisoft is glossing over him. I absolutely detest that.

This is a character that I invested in emotionally, I liked this character. It sucks that don't get a pay off for all of this. Perhaps then I should stop investing into the stories they make and buy AC at half price for now on, since they're so good at setting stuff up and giving no pay off for all the investment. Story is half the game and if I stop investing in it, then there's half of the game gone.

Yeah, they should have had at least one small scene where we see a glimpse of him as an old man at the Homestead or something like that. I don't really care about the whole Kenway saga all that much, but if you're gonna advertise your game as the definitive send-off to the Kenways, then that should include all of them.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 11:39 PM
I honestly don't view Achilles as bad as some make him out to be. In Rogue, Vendredi, the only other man to enter a temple, died before coming out to tell anyone about the truth of the temples. Everyone assumed the earthquake in Haiti was a coincidence, including Adewale.
What happened afterwards was Shay getting all emotional (understandably) and lashing out at Achilles and the others. It was a sad miscommunication. What happened between then and the end of the game is anyone's guess. Shay was thought to be dead, so the only other man who knows that truth of what happened was presumed dead. Achilles most likely had to find out for himself, which makes sense. The Assassins have ALWAYS raced against the Templars to find first civ artifacts and temples. If the Assassins don't get to it first, the Templars will.
Altair getting the Apple
The Assassins in Italy getting the apple and finding the vault
Ezio finding Altair's library and the seals

It's always been that way.

I saw Achilles as a proud man broken. his agreeing to Connor was his chance at redemption. He was hesitant, which shows that he didn't just jump on a chance at revenge. I still think that Achilles kind of lied to Connor about the colonists' struggle being his struggle. I mean, as a former slave, he better than anyone would know that the colonists were not to be trusted.

spotgimer
12-11-2014, 11:44 PM
I saw Achilles as a proud man broken. his agreeing to Connor was his chance at redemption. He was hesitant, which shows that he didn't just jump on a chance at revenge. I still think that Achilles kind of lied to Connor about the colonists' struggle being his struggle. I mean, as a former slave, he better than anyone would know that the colonists were not to be trusted.

Hmph. Soooooo is AC3 about Connor or is it about Achilles. I thought that Achilles agreed to train connor because he saw potential in him. Not because he wanted revenge.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Hmph. Soooooo is AC3 about Connor or is it about Achilles. I thought that Achilles agreed to train connor because he saw potential in him. Not because he wanted revenge.
AC III is about a lot of things, it's a mess.

Of course he saw potential in him, he trained recruits for decades, but mostly I think it was about his redemption. I don't think he wanted revenge, perhaps some measure of pride, though. He WAS at Haytham's feet and he was spared. Achilles was most likely prepared to die at that moment but it was taken from him. For Achilles, it would have been a fitting death. Dying in the war against their worst enemies as a martyr but he was crippled instead and disgraced. He watched his brotherhood get destroyed. That's all pretty rough stuff, no wonder he almost offed himself.

spotgimer
12-11-2014, 11:52 PM
AC III is about a lot of things, it's a mess.

Of course he saw potential in him, he trained recruits for decades, but mostly I think it was about his redemption. I don't think he wanted revenge, perhaps some measure of pride, though. He WAS at Haytham's feet and he was spared. Achilles was most likely prepared to die at that moment but it was taken from him. For Achilles, it would have been a fitting death. Dying in the war against their worst enemies as a martyr but he was crippled instead and disgraced. He watched his brotherhood get destroyed. That's all pretty rough stuff, no wonder he almost offed himself.

Ya, I guess Achilles life makes connors life look a little less horrifying.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Ya, I guess Achilles life makes connors life look a little less horrifying.
They all had ****ty lives but they all also had their happy moments. I personally think that comparing tragedies is irrelevant.

I also think Connor avoided Achilles' fate because he actually listened. Achilles was stubborn and proud. Sure, Connor argued with Achilles but he NEVER disobeyed him and took his every advice to heart. Consequently, Connor managed to build a better Brotherhood that lasted much much longer than Achilles'

Namikaze_17
12-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Did it specifically point out that Achilles was getting revenge?
You could also say that he sent Connor to attack the templars.............because they are templars. The assassins oppose the templars; he was trying to bring down their operations.

Normally I'd agree...

But after that hearing that line, and watching rogue, I came to that conclusion.

Sure, he wasn't obsessed with it, neither did he admit it, but Connor killing some of them did make him happy in a way.

If Shay was there/killed, he probably would've been overjoyed inside.

Though probably not as much because he did show him mercy.

Will_Lucky
12-12-2014, 02:08 AM
I think best we can hope for is a Shay sequel that allows us to dip into the memories of Connor in the run up to Shays eventual death and perhaps even assassination if possible. They can get around the American Arc by having it in Europe as Shay hunts for the box with flashbacks and memories in the Americas.

But I really hope Connor gets his ending chapter.

In regards to Achilles, I already viewed him poorly. But that single confrontation in Rogue between Shay and him completely destroyed him in my image. "The future of the whole continent, maybe even the world is tied up in that manuscript." "Perhaps, but we don't have the right to decide that future" "The right? We have the responsibility!"

That exchange right there threw my opinion out of the window...

Mr.Black24
12-12-2014, 05:14 AM
I just want some scenes of Connor with his family, at the bare minimum at least. A death or a send off as closure is good enough to me.

spotgimer
12-12-2014, 05:29 AM
I just want some scenes of Connor with his family, at the bare minimum at least. A death or a send off as closure is good enough to me.

If the series is totally done with desmonds ancestors then I wish that there would be a complete canon of his tree up to connor for example.

Hood2theBurbs
12-12-2014, 06:42 AM
If the series is totally done with desmonds ancestors then I wish that there would be a complete canon of his tree up to connor for example.

I second this, it would be cool to see the entire family tree of his ancestors. It would answer certain questions like who was Desmond's ancestor in the French Revolution.

wvstolzing
12-12-2014, 06:53 AM
I second this, it would be cool to see the entire family tree of his ancestors. It would answer certain questions like who was Desmond's ancestor in the French Revolution.

There'd be no point to it -- The number of a person's 'ancestors' in each generation, is 2 to the power of the number of generations removed from the person. E.g.,
In the previous generation, 2 ancestors (mother & father) (2 ^ 1)
In the generation before that, 4 (grandparents) (2 ^ 2)
In the generation before that, 8 (taking into account each of your grandparents' parents) (2 ^ 3)

I don't know whether there's a standard measure for what a 'generation' is, but assuming that it's 30 years or so, that means there's roughly 6 generations between Desmond and ancestor(s) who may have lived during the French Revolution. That makes 64 (2 to the power of 6) Desmond ancestors.

Just imagine that one of those people was an illustrious Assassin, and leave it at that.

Hood2theBurbs
12-12-2014, 07:07 AM
There'd be no point to it -- The number of a person's 'ancestors' in each generation, is 2 to the power of the number of generations removed from the person. E.g.,
In the previous generation, 2 ancestors (mother & father) (2 ^ 1)
In the generation before that, 4 (grandparents) (2 ^ 2)
In the generation before that, 8 (taking into account each of your grandparents' parents) (2 ^ 3)

I don't know whether there's a standard measure for what a 'generation' is, but assuming that it's 30 years or so, that means there's roughly 6 generations between Desmond and ancestor(s) who may have lived during the French Revolution. That makes 64 (2 to the power of 6) Desmond ancestors.

Just imagine that one of those people was an illustrious Assassin, and leave it at that.

Well of course it would have no real point, it's more just to sake my curiosity. I mean someone on the forums even has a theory that ancestor may be Pierre Bellec which is interesting and maybe even possible.

RinoTheBouncer
12-12-2014, 03:40 PM
I agree with you about how Rogue makes you look at ACIII in a different way and how some things start to have a different meaning. I immediately thought about how insistent Achilles was that Haytham dies after seeing how he crippled him in AC:Rogue. And I too have gotten so angry that even though AC:Ro is closely placed next to the world of ACIII, if not intertwined with it, yet not a single mention of Connor. I wanted to see some cool DLC like that of Adewale who wasn’t even that important and even Aveline DLC which has nothing to do with ACIV. But nothing about Connor, like nothing at all.

2 days ago when the did the Templar’s Order Twitch, I was there and I asked about the star shaped P.O.E. in AC:Rogue and what’s its purpose and whether it’s linked to the 6 solutions to prevent Toba Catastrophe. They responded saying that they can’t expand much on that and maybe we’ll learn about that in the coming months or perhaps years.

I want a Connor send-off, yes. I wanna see that he didn’t just lose his village and started rebuilding the brotherhood. A Connor DLC for Rogue would be perfect, or perhaps a CGI short film. It doesn’t have to be his death, but at least something bigger and better than just leaving it there.

GunnerGalactico
12-12-2014, 03:48 PM
I agree with you about how Rogue makes you look at ACIII in a different way and how some things start to have a different meaning. I immediately thought about how insistent Achilles was that Haytham dies after seeing how he crippled him in AC:Rogue. And I too have gotten so angry that even though AC:Ro is closely placed next to the world of ACIII, if not intertwined with it, yet not a single mention of Connor. I wanted to see some cool DLC like that of Adewale who wasn’t even that important and even Aveline DLC which has nothing to do with ACIV. But nothing about Connor, like nothing at all.

I completely agree. It really explained a lot about why Achilles really wanted all the Templars eliminated that badly.... especially Haytham. I got the sense that he wanted to atone for his mistakes through Connor in AC3.

Namikaze_17
12-12-2014, 03:51 PM
I completely agree. It really explained a lot about why Achilles really wanted all the Templars eliminated that badly.... especially Haytham. I got the sense that he wanted to atone for his mistakes through Connor in AC3.

You'd think he'd remember Shay too...

Like damn, the dude did as much damage as Haytham, if not more.

But then again, I guess we can say Shay just "Cleared the field".

GunnerGalactico
12-12-2014, 04:00 PM
You'd think he'd remember Shay too...

Like damn, the dude did as much damage as Haytham, if not more.

But then again, I guess we can say Shay just "Cleared the field".

I think that Shay was now a shameful secret. It is really painful for a mentor to watch one of his prized students go "rogue" :p

Namikaze_17
12-12-2014, 04:04 PM
I think that Shay was now a shameful secret. It is really painful for a mentor to watch one of his prized students go "rogue" :p

Reference Level goes up 100X. :rolleyes:

creedalien
12-12-2014, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Altair1789;10432351]I agree. I just hope Connor gets an interesting ending, like Ezio and Altaïr did. I don't want Ubisoft to publish a book or something that just says "Connor got married, had kids, and later died of constipation. The end."

But Ezio did die the same way like the other assassins they married, had kids then die old age... every ac is basicly this same.This is why geting boring why not make a game when the protagonist dont have kids and die younger age like 35-40 year old in the GAME and not in the movie and books.Now desmnd is dead we not play he's ancestors anymore.

Altair1789
12-12-2014, 06:08 PM
But Ezio did die the same way like the other assassins they married, had kids then die old age... every ac is basicly this same.This is why geting boring why not make a game when the protagonist dont have kids and die younger age like 35-40 year old in the GAME and not in the movie and books.Now desmnd is dead we not play he's ancestors anymore.

What I meant was I hope it's expansive, something like a game. The actual WAY he dies isn't very important to me (as long as it's not constipation or suicide), I just want more Connor content

spotgimer
12-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Every one of desmonds ancestors had kids and then died, but I dont think Ezio died the way connor did. Pretty sure connor had a pretty bad ending since Ubi has hinted at that, and Ezio died a very peaceful fitting death where his story all started.

wickywoowoo
12-12-2014, 10:57 PM
I love Altair and Connor because they were so Assassin-y that they lost the fanbase because the characters were pure to their beliefs.

People say they were boring and had no personality - reality is the character is so dedicated to the cause, they do not even allow themselves to have a personality as they live for the cause. They should use Connor as a meta-character where he is so intense and Assassin-y that it becomes his personality in the first place.

cawatrooper9
12-13-2014, 03:47 AM
Just had a thought while playing Rogue today:
It's a shame that we may never see Shay and Connor face off- not because of the differences, but because of their similarities.

Imagine, playing as Connor and going in with the intention of murdering Shay. Both men draw their weapons and begin a vicious fight. Only when both are near death do they realize that each is fighting for what they perceive as the greater good. Ubisoft could even do something cool and have their final dialogue in a "white room", only with both of them dying side by side. They could talk about the virtues of their own organizations, and their respect for their rival orders. Connor and Shay could bond over Achille's stubbornness, and Shay could tell Connor more about the old order of colonial Assassins.
If done right, it could be one of the best and most touching "White room" moments in AC history.

But you know, Ubisoft thinks no one wants a Connor game for some reason.

Mr.Black24
12-13-2014, 03:56 AM
I wonder if a Connor DLC is in the works. I mean, when China was announced, the trailer did say that Dead Kings and China is in the works and that much more will soon follow, saying that "there is still a lot new content in the works. This Season Pass is the biggest and most diverse yet...."

If you don't remember, the trailer is right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl5BI9LDChg

Altair1789
12-13-2014, 04:48 AM
I wonder if a Connor DLC is in the works. I mean, when China was announced, the trailer did say that Dead Kings and China is in the works and that much more will soon follow, saying that "there is still a lot new content in the works. This Season Pass is the biggest and most diverse yet...."

If you don't remember, the trailer is right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl5BI9LDChg

I'm hoping that refers to a DLC where we can play as the assassins and templars in the menu in the beginning of the game, but a Connor DLC would also be great. I think in an AC Rogue email, Melanie Lemay (who I hate, just saying) said something like "The Wolf and Washington" (Connor's mission) covers his death. She definitely mentioned his death was a mess though