PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Unity?

ThatChristmasKi
12-10-2014, 09:02 PM
I recently finished up Rouge, and I'm planning on getting Unity.
Problem is, I've been hearing both the good and bad about it.
Should I wait to buy it, or does the content outshine the bugs?

Thank you in advance.

nonamename1
12-11-2014, 11:24 PM
the negative hype is seriously exaggerated, almost to the point of not being believable.

My personal experience with it has been great, no problems. Now that AMD has released some great drivers for the game, I hear it's running well for AMD now.

Johnny_R3b
12-12-2014, 12:26 AM
what are your specs and ill tell you

Carch
12-12-2014, 12:36 AM
... Rouge ...

nugg0r
12-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Honestly, The game is great if you can get it to work on your machine, luckily i purchased a GTX 970 for it.. runs amazingly well after the patches

The terrible bad of it for me is the stupid broken initiates and the godamn companion app for your phone.

WHY IS THIS **** IN A 50 game, totally ruins it as it is broken and never going to be fixed..

Apart from that its great.

AherasSTRG
12-12-2014, 09:21 AM
a GTX 970 for it.. runs amazingly well after the patches.

Please, do explain to me, how 40FPS on one of the best GPUs available on the market is "amazingly good".

Erfivur
12-12-2014, 02:02 PM
I recently finished up Rouge, and I'm planning on getting Unity.
Problem is, I've been hearing both the good and bad about it.
Should I wait to buy it, or does the content outshine the bugs?

Thank you in advance.

The game is overal good. Feels more like a spiritual successor to AC3 than it does Black Flag(or possibly Rogue) though
Please please please, make sure you meet the minimum requirements for the game to avoid any sort of disappointment.
There are some bugs and problems and some bad decisions by Ubisoft but if you ignore the peripherals and you are not of the vocal minority left with a game-breaking(refundable) bug then you should be good to go with a beautiful looking game.

My main criticism from my otherwise smooth experience is that the game suffers mostly from bad design decisions in the GUI, with the peripheral apps having too much impact on normal gameplay and the arrangement of missions.

The main story missions(memories/sequences) are very much the tale of Arno and Elise imo, with a sideline about a sage and a cursory mention of Assassins and Templars whilst everything else is listed as "Paris Stories" or Murder Mysteries or Social Club missions.
The Paris Stories are actually very narrative driven and have several parts to them(to be done in order).
imo they should've been labeled akin to GTA missions so you'd know which missions were Marguis de Sade missions and which were Napolean, etc.
It's in these side missions you tend to get a real feel for the city and environment you're playing in. (TBH I felt AC3 suffered this too)

Please, do explain to me, how 40FPS on one of the best GPUs available on the market is "amazingly good".

Subjectivity?

ACE7492
12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Read the very first sticky at the top from Yannis Mallet, and there is your answer. It's a good game if you can get it to run smoothly, but lots of people have had issues with that.(read a few pages in the forums and you will see it is not hype). I personally have lost companion app progress 3 times. That is the broken in my opinion. I would not recommend this game to someone until its completely fixed. I have bought many PC games on release and usually expect to have little things go wrong because I'm not unreasonable. But a brand new game being this bad with stuff gated behind apps and other nonsense that either don't work or isn't available yet is the real problem for me. Arno and Elise were good characters and the story held my attention. But you have to take the game as a whole and it feels incomplete.

topeira1980
12-13-2014, 03:38 PM
i think unity is the best AC game since AC2. i loved AC2 but i didnt like any other AC game since. not as much as unity.

what i love about unity is:

1) better combat. this is subjective. it's harder and requires a lot more thought, skill and use of gadgets. if you like the easy way - this is not the game for you.

2) better stealth. its actually played like every other stealth game (like splinter cell or watch dogs for example). it's less refined in terms of movement but the ability to walk on rooftops and blend in crowds makes up for it.

3) better parkour. it requires more input from the player but if you know what you're doing than it works better than before.

4) customization - first time in an AC game and i hope it doesnt go away. it's pretty fun. i only miss the option to remove the hood or replace it with a hat. always having a hood makes every costume kinda to look the same.

5) i am not a fan of co-op and doing the co-op missions solo, especially the heists, is really really hard if you dont upgrade your arno a lot.

so overall i'd say - wait to see if patch 4 fixes stuff from ppl. if the reception of the patch is good and your hardware fits and you like what you read here - go for it.
but if your hardware is below minimum by a bit or if you dont like games that are a little hard - i am not sure the game is for you.

kimkimon
12-13-2014, 03:54 PM
AC2 and ACIV are the Best

ACU is the Worst.

Zmidd
12-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Good things:

Awesome graphics (when the game runs correctly, which requires quite a bit of meat in your machine)

Certain parts of the overhauled combat system make it more challenging (combat was too easy in previous games, IMO).

Tweaked free-running system can be more fluid and versatile (when it works correctly)

Equipment variety and upgrade system is actually pretty interesting and varied

All sorts of little touches that are improvements, too many to list (but, as an example, the fact that cutting through someone's house as a shortcut is no longer a mini cutscene, but simply you moving Arno into the house)

Bad things:

Far, far, far too much is locked behind miscellaneous out-of-game crap.

Ability upgrade system doesn't make sense and needs reworked (I mean, having to unlock an upgrade to sit on a bench? Really???)

Too many different kinds of currency tied to too many different things

Introduction of microtransactions into the single-player bit of a non-F2P game. Very bad move and bad sign from Ubisoft that they care more about how much money they can get out of you than actually giving you a good gaming experience.

Other parts of the combat system make combat more challenging for all the wrong reasons

Free-running system is still dodgy in places, sometimes making simple actions like climbing through a window an exercise in frustration

The interesting, multi-layered, complex conspiracy story running from previous games is reduced to a few blink-and-you'll-miss-them cutscenes and gameplay sequences.

Last but definitely not least - bugs, glitches and performance issues galore. Patches have improved this, but it's improved from utterly abysmal to merely quite bad.

Oh, and almost forgot - culling of things you could do in previous games but can't in this one for no apparent reason, like hiding bodies or moving them to use as a distraction.

JohnConnor2012
12-14-2014, 04:35 PM
All I'd add to Wolftooth's comments is excellence with which Ubi has evoked revolutionary Paris (inc. interiors!) - against which they have completely botched the history and have given us a confused and trivial main storyline in consequence. SPOILER-> Assassins run some missions for royalists and end up supporting Napoleon, a far more likely candidate for assassination as a Templar/tyrant than any Jacobin :-0

medavroog
12-15-2014, 03:44 AM
... SPOILER-> Assassins run some missions for royalists and end up supporting Napoleon, a far more likely candidate for assassination as a Templar/tyrant than any Jacobin :-0

I am not really sure shall the French Brotherhood did indeed issued those missions and eventually supported Napoleon Bonaparte because it was Arno Victor Dorian's own choice to carry-out those deeds. He defied the French Brotherhood and went on a personal quest of self-interest. To be honest, I do not see Arno Victor Dorian as an "assassin" at all because of his actions as well as the fact he said in the storyline ... he did everything for Elise. Not for humanity, not for the greater good, not for the brotherhood ... but using the brotherhood to achieve his little personal goal. By rewarding the "master assassin" outfit for Arno Victor Dorian after complete the main storyline is a total mockery to the brotherhood.

I hope UbiSoft will release a more "true assassin" in the storyline in their future releases.