PDA

View Full Version : Unity Parrying: am i doing something wrong?

softgunforever
12-10-2014, 07:29 PM
when fighting multiple enemies, or sometimes even just a single enemy, i often find that i try to parry their attacks, but it does nothing. the most recent example i can give was when i was fighting one axe-guy and one regular guy, i would hit parry whenever the yellow/red flash pops, but i would get hit anyways. after defeating the two enemies, i found that i had used FIVE heals on that fight alone, so i gotta ask, am i doing something wrong, or is there something about the parry system i have still not learned? i have plenty of experience with combat in the game, i just completed sequence 5 and a bunch of "paris stories" missions.

EDIT: while im at it, is there a way to avoid being shot? i tend to use a lot of heals in areas with alot of enemies with guns,

feto2011
12-10-2014, 07:39 PM
You are not alone. it will happen randomly to me either. However to some type opponents, you cannot parry its attack complete though you do right timing. It is different with previous AC.

wichking
12-10-2014, 07:45 PM
I dont know maybe you fail to recognize if its a heavy attack or not. Heavy attacks you have to dodge youc ant parry them. Also it depends on what weapon you have. If you sue long and Heavy weapons you parry slower so if another enemy hits you you may be to late to parry it. To recognize heavy attacks you have to keep attention on the movement. Heavy attacks are longer and more of a spinning. You can actually tell by your eyes that you cant parry such brute strength.

About avoiding shots: If you dodge when he shoots you avoid the shot. Another way is to sue smoke bombs like a true assassin.
I myself didnt skilled any Health so the shooting stays deadly. I also dont want to be overpowered which you are with the health upgrades.
Use your tools and you win vs 5-7 easy w7o getting a single hit/strike.(pistol, stun bombs, smoke bombs berzerker darts blabla.

softgunforever
12-10-2014, 07:52 PM
ah, thanks, yea i keep forgetting the other tools i have. when i get discovered and have to do open fighting, i then to only use my pistol and melee, i should get used to using the other tools.

wichking
12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
thats the idea ;) Ubisoft made us used to easy peasy fights since AC B so ye. I myself never used smoke bombs before unity :D they were just so useless

softgunforever
12-10-2014, 09:49 PM
i know what you mean! in AC:BF i needed only my swords to clear out a man'o'war like it was nothing! i just did a fight where i truly learned the importance of my tools and tricks, around 7 guys, but this time i used my various abilities like heavy attack, smoke, and staggering strike, and the fight was over so quickly, i think only two of them even got a chance to strike ;)

wichking
12-10-2014, 09:54 PM
You see, thats the Assassins Creed gameplay how it should be: Use your tools to win and not hack and slash like a Super human. Unity has the best gameplay and missions design imo.
Only thing i dislike is the dumb KI and the fact you cant move your targets

softgunforever
12-10-2014, 09:58 PM
ya, i learned the hard way that trying to break an opponents defence by simply slashing at him, would only result in me getting stabbed in the back by the other guys all the time.

strigoi1958
12-10-2014, 11:43 PM
I usually wait until the sight icon by Arno's leg is bright red then do a roll to avoid being shot... about 22 seconds in this video... you'll see the red sight get bright then I roll forward. http://youtu.be/mpt5-0t8WSA but at 28 seconds I'm in an attack and cannot roll and get shot.

Green_Reaper
12-11-2014, 05:01 AM
I usually wait until the sight icon by Arno's leg is bright red then do a roll to avoid being shot... about 22 seconds in this video... you'll see the red sight get bright then I roll forward. http://youtu.be/mpt5-0t8WSA but at 28 seconds I'm in an attack and cannot roll and get shot.

Or you could take advantage of the fact that they give you a pretty great amount of smoke bombs, and spam them when things get tough. It really helps you get out of a pinch when there is just way too many guards to deal with, and the guys who are shooting you are at a great distance. ;)

Then again, I'm somewhat of a sloppy fighter if I don't take a stealth approach. Forgive me, co-op mates.

wichking
12-11-2014, 12:39 PM
i actually play w/o all ***. Cuz all these pop ups and the highlightening of me standing in the crowd breaks the immersion.

BladeUK606
12-11-2014, 05:48 PM
If you are not sure, go to the cafe theatre and go to the training room. There you can learn about attack types and parrying in safety

johnsmith145
12-13-2014, 01:08 PM
I have parried (non-heavy) attacks by brutes several times. The time window for the parry is shorter than for regular guards though.

topeira1980
12-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I have parried (non-heavy) attacks by brutes several times. The time window for the parry is shorter than for regular guards though.

i try to parry brutes attacks often. you can "perfect parry" them but parry works fine, though you need to tap it earlier than usual.

but sometimes i press parry, especially against the finishing stab attacks, that just dont register. there are cases where my parry presses dont register, and im usually really good at parrying so it's not me. it's the game sometimes messing up, i think. usually actually i think it's against the seekers (with the top hat).

BladeUK606
12-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Surely you can't block a finishing move? I have never seen the AI do it, which seem to be amazing at blocking when they are level 5, so it's not that it doesn't register.

And against the Top Hats the attacks are not the same, you can only block with a perfect parry when it flashes red, it only flashes yellow like normal after the third strike, it isn't easy to parry their first two attacks. I don't think it is the game messing up from your description.

softgunforever
12-15-2014, 08:22 PM
guess it's just the "am i doing something wrong?" part then =P

Secu12
12-17-2014, 12:36 PM
About this parry thing: how do you get the perfect parry 100 points? I press the parry button when the enemy's bar is yellow. Sometimes I get the points, sometimes not.
I fight with a sword.

I got some pretty annoying bugs: when in a fight, Arno freezes. He dind't respond to my actions: attack, parry or dodge. After being desynchronized, it got to normal.

dnameless1
12-17-2014, 01:18 PM
About this parry thing: how do you get the perfect parry 100 points? I press the parry button when the enemy's bar is yellow. Sometimes I get the points, sometimes not.
I fight with a sword.

Unless I've been doing it wrong very consistently, I think you get the 100 points after 2, or more probably 3, "perfect" parries in succession.

medavroog
12-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Unless I've been doing it wrong very consistently, I think you get the 100 points after 2, or more probably 3, "perfect" parries in succession.

... three perfect parries yields one 100 [without modifier] points.

dnameless1
12-17-2014, 08:05 PM
... three perfect parries yields one 100 [without modifier] points.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Probably did it some times where I lost count ;)

VoldR
12-17-2014, 08:39 PM
thats the idea ;) Ubisoft made us used to easy peasy fights since AC B so ye. I myself never used smoke bombs before unity :D they were just so useless

In older games I use all available gadgets to fight, for fun and diversity, even swapping weapons, throw, dust, smoke, poison, etc.

Makes it more interesting in playthroughs.
:)

VoldR
12-17-2014, 08:43 PM
i actually play w/o all ***. Cuz all these pop ups and the highlightening of me standing in the crowd breaks the immersion.

Agree, can u hotkey the items so dun need to open the inventory?

Haven't play unity yet myself. But what I do is record my own fights and edit off the inventory wheel to watch a nice free flow of attacks without pausing moments, switching between weapons or gadgets.
:)

softgunforever
12-17-2014, 09:49 PM
ok, so i just did some parry practicing against three enemies at ones, and it is certainly not me doing something wrong all the time. when fighting the three guys, i kept a very close eye on them, i never attacked them, i only parried their blows, and what i found out is that sometimes the parry indicator above their heads do not show up at all, so unless i notice their attack movement (which i have a hard time doing when fighting at the same time) i will not see that they are about to strike.

Secu12
01-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it seems you must parry three consecutive enemy attacks in order to receive perfect parry points. But you must press the attack button when the bar above their head turns yellow. Also, it seems every weapon (one-handed, long or heavy) has a specified amount of time in which you cand succesfully parry the enemy's blow.

If you are interested I shall post a picture with those factors.