PDA

View Full Version : Why Arno Dorian deserves a sequel (Spoilers revolving AC:U plot)

Zero_Regen
12-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Hello anyone who is interested in my opinion on why Arno should get a sequel. AC:U brought a lot to the table with Arno. Arno is a great character very well acted and just all around fun to watch and listen to. I understand we're getting Dead Kings (TBA) and that might render this whole topic unnecessary, but i believe Arno deserves another full game. My reasoning might be popular among other fans or not at all. Arno was a great character as iv'e said, he's charismatic and suave. Arno loses so much in this game and Unity only is a tip of the iceberg i believe. We see him adopting the Creed for one reason. To redeem his father. I believe we could go much further with that. Maybe show him understand that outside of Elise and his step-father there are Templars like Rodrigo Borgia out there. We could get other Templar villains that complicate Arno's mindset because he only knows of a few bad Templars. Have him interact with an Apple at some point. I simply feel we could explore deeper into Arno and see what he faces in the future. I feel like Arno wasn't really shown to agree completely with the Creed. He used it for skills and the means to kill the line of Templars that were involved with his step-fathers murder, but in a sequel he can truly understand what his biological father was fighting for. Also lets not forget he knows almost nothing about the first civilization and that could play a big part in a sequel. Overall Arno was great and anything with him i most likely purchase. Thanks for checking out my opinion.

CoachAssassin
12-10-2014, 09:20 AM
I agree with you that we only saw the tip of the iceberg in his emotional state, but I'm pretty sure Ubisoft is sticking to the whole ''one game per protagonist'' thing they said. So sorry, but Dead Kings will have to do with the story :(.

marvelfannumber
12-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Meh, I found Arno to be kind of a boring Ezio clone with little to no character progression. So I could really care less.

pirate1802
12-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Frenchzio deserves the 'kill it before it lays eggs' treatment imo.

Zero_Regen
12-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion!

Zero_Regen
12-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Thank you for your opinion

azeezmj
12-10-2014, 12:58 PM
I agree with you man, Arno is waaay better than edward and connor (god, connor was the worst protagonist -_-') but that doesn't mean that i didn't like Edward, he was actually kind of special, since you actually play only the last two sequences with him as an assassin. Arno IMO is better than Ezio.

Namikaze_17
12-10-2014, 02:27 PM
I...honestly didn't care for Arno.

I don't hate him, but the dude is the definition of unoriginal and just plain bored me.

Yes, I've discussed with several members about his character, and I understand it, doesn't mean I liked it.

I'm glad we've moved on from him honestly.

RinoTheBouncer
12-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I personally loved Arno. I loved the couple, Arno and Elise so much and I was ready to give the game 10/10 just for the Balloon scene, to be quite honest, but the ending ruined all that for me.

Arno was great in how he wasn't strict with any teachings and Elise was great in how she wasn't just 100% against any Assassin. The two could've been been the best from both worlds and sadly, that didn't work out with the terrible cliche ending. Arno was exiled from the brotherhood and at the same time, he's against the Templars so it was interesting to see what he'll do next. The ending hinted him being reinstated into the brotherhood, but I'm still interested in seeing what'll happen to him.

Another thing that disappointed me about Arno was the fact that he was so moved by his father's death that he kept his pocket watch so close to his heart, wrote him letters after he died (according to the Abstergo Entertainment Employee Handbook) yet he never bothered finding his father's killer. To me, that's a VERY important point and a big thing that the story missed.

I honestly hoped we could get not 1 but 2 or 3 story DLC for him to continue his story, or a sequel at some point. But I'll never recover from the disappointing ending of ACU.

Shahkulu101
12-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I like Arno as a better version of Ezio, to be honest. His jokes and demeanour were actually pretty funny, at least to me. He also has his soft and sentimental side, the feelings for Elise and mourning of his father throughout the game. He's not original by any means, but I enjoyed playing as him at the end of the day. Not to mention very well acted.

I'd be up for an Arno, Napoleon sequel - definitely.

Xstantin
12-10-2014, 03:18 PM
If Ubi decided to follow with Napoleon sequel I wouldn't mind.

Assassin_M
12-10-2014, 03:25 PM
No. Only Assassins who deserve (and deserved) are Connor and Ezio respectively. Connor because he's one of the interesting and original characters that Ubisoft has created and Ezio to fix the mess that was his character in AC II.

From what I played, Arno seems to have a complete character arc.

I like Arno a lot. like Shahk said, he's a better version of AC II Ezio. a more human one.

marvelfannumber
12-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Arno had an arc? I couldn't even tell honestly. His character didn't seem to progress at all after he became an assassin. There was that one time he gave up after being expelled, but when he comes back to Paris he is the same as he was prior.

And then there is the ending in which he becomes a master assassin again with no logical explanation.

Assassin_M
12-10-2014, 03:54 PM
And theeeeeeere's my Q to leave this thread.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-10-2014, 05:05 PM
I personally loved Arno. I loved the couple, Arno and Elise so much and I was ready to give the game 10/10 just for the Balloon scene, to be quite honest, but the ending ruined all that for me.

Arno was great in how he wasn't strict with any teachings and Elise was great in how she wasn't just 100% against any Assassin. The two could've been been the best from both worlds and sadly, that didn't work out with the terrible cliche ending. Arno was exiled from the brotherhood and at the same time, he's against the Templars so it was interesting to see what he'll do next. The ending hinted him being reinstated into the brotherhood, but I'm still interested in seeing what'll happen to him.

Another thing that disappointed me about Arno was the fact that he was so moved by his father's death that he kept his pocket watch so close to his heart, wrote him letters after he died (according to the Abstergo Entertainment Employee Handbook) yet he never bothered finding his father's killer. To me, that's a VERY important point and a big thing that the story missed.

I honestly hoped we could get not 1 but 2 or 3 story DLC for him to continue his story, or a sequel at some point. But I'll never recover from the disappointing ending of ACU.

I agree.

I feel Unity's story was good. Not great, but by no means as bad as some others make it out to be. However I will say the one consistent thing I found in the story was that there was so much missed potential and unanswered questions.

Why did Arno not go after his father's killer?
What was the Brotherhood's immediate reaction to Pierre Bellec killing Mirabeau?
Why and when did Arno join the Brotherhood again?
Who are these Templars I am killing and why am I killing them? (Some of them literally get 1 sentence of dialogue before you go and kill them)

In terms of potential, I feel the story just should have been longer. Like at least 20 hrs. That way you can fit in more stuff and make it feel like a real adventure. I finished the story in roughly 10-12 hours, and that kind of length doesn't really allow for much depth of the story arch. It would have been cool to have more set up to the death of Arno's biological father, so that we actually cared. Would have been cool to see some more context of Arno (it was said he is very intelligent with private tutoring at a young age, yet this isn't touched on at all in the game).Would have been cool to see more interaction with Marqui de Sade and Napoleon. Would have been cool to find out who killed Arno's father (Shay) and to go out and kill him (if it fits with the lore). Would have been cool to see some story after the death of Elise (which was such a crap ending) Would have been cool to see more modern day interaction.

The consistent theme here is missed potential. So many questions were unanswered, and a lot of potential was missed here.
With that said, the story was decent, but by no means great. These story lengths in general need to be longer. Instead of having like 20% story 80% side content/co-op, do what Witcher 3 is supposedly doing and have 50% story 50% side content. That way the story can feel like a grand adventure, a huge accomplishment to complete rather than a quick 10 hr redemption/revenge quest.

Sorry for rant. I truly do love this franchise, but there are some things it can do to really improve itself and become a true contender of GOTY.

Hans684
12-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Arrr no.

JustPlainQuirky
12-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Hold up Hold up Hold up.

Let's take Care of Connor, Aveline, and Shay first before we worry about a next gen character like Arno.