PDA

View Full Version : Should AC remain in the 19th century onwards?

GunnerGalactico
12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
I know it is a little to soon to be asking this question, considering that we discovered the AC Victory leak last week. There's no doubt that the 19th century is a fascinating era, one filled with a lot of scientific discoveries and technological advancements, as well as historical events such as: Napoleonic Wars, American Civil War, Ottoman Occupation, The Boxer Rebellion etc. Trouble is not all of them are compatible enough to have an AC game based on it.

My question is, do you want more AC games set during the 19th century after AC Victory or would you rather that we go back to the Medieval setting?

Thoughts?

RinoTheBouncer
12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I think a good story is a good story, and a well made game is a well made game, regardless of whether it’s set in a date closer to the present or in a more fictional story in the very distant past. It’s about how they’re made and how’s their story written and their characters developed.

Note: a modern day AC =/= GTA. Just because it’s open world doesn’t mean that it’s GTA.

Megas_Doux
12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I want to go back in time!!!!!

In fact, I wish there was some alternation between ancient, medieval and modern stuff. But with annualization that is nothing but a dumb dream of mine.

Shahkulu101
12-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Definitely want them to dial it back a bit. I want a complete and total change of scenery and culture.

However, I certainly wouldn't object to them doing something like the British Raj or Napoleonic Wars since these periods are so intriguing. But again, I'd much prefer if after Victory we get an Ancient AC game.

GunnerGalactico
12-09-2014, 06:10 PM
^ I guess that's why we got time anomalies for now :p

VestigialLlama4
12-09-2014, 06:11 PM
I know it is a little to soon to be asking this question, considering that we discovered the AC Victory leak last week. There's no doubt that the 19th century is a fascinating era, one filled with a lot of scientific discoveries and technological advancements, as well as historical events such as: Napoleonic Wars, American Civil War, Ottoman Occupation, The Boxer Rebellion etc. Trouble is not all of them are compatible enough to have an AC game based on it.

My question is, do you want more AC games set during the 19th century after AC Victory or would you rather that we go back to the Medieval setting?

Thoughts?

As long as they know what they are doing and adapt the gameplay theyll be fine. As long as they go to obscure eras then it's okay. Ubisoft is not under obligation to chronicle the complete history of the world. They should make games in settings and period that developers and writers care about and not listen to marketing people.

D.I.D.
12-09-2014, 06:21 PM
I think we're seeing about the maximum of story content and cutscenes that Ubisoft is able to produce, now that production standards are higher. I'd rather see two games in a period to get a story done well than for every story to feel scant.

That said, I also don't care about story as much as I do about details and gameplay. If the game is well observed and has great gameplay, a middling story that works in service of the gameplay is okay by me.

My ideal situation would be that the Victorian London game focuses on the dissolution of the East India Company, and that a sequel goes to India to show what the EIC did there that lead to its downfall. By the lowest estimates, the trading of the EIC accounted for half of the world's entire wealth, while some historians argue that with hidden assets the proportion might really have been more like two thirds.

Namikaze_17
12-09-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't mind...

I like this variety they're bringing so far...

Sometimes ancient just gets stale...or at least to me.

Same with this if we stay for 156637835735 games.

GunnerGalactico
12-09-2014, 06:24 PM
As long as they know what they are doing and adapt the gameplay theyll be fine. As long as they go to obscure eras then it's okay. Ubisoft is not under obligation to chronicle the complete history of the world. They should make games in settings and period that developers and writers care about and not listen to marketing people.

I understand that. Ubisoft even said that they are interested in settings that people are not too familiarised with. In my humble opinion, I don't really think that WW1 (btw, I know that is not a 19th century setting) is a good setting for AC. I mean, where would hidden blades fit in? That's kinda what I was getting at.

JamesFaith007
12-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Till now Ubisoft worked with thematic trilogies:

With same character - AC2, Brotherhood, Revelation
With same region - AC3, AC4, Rogue

So I would expect another trilogy from 18th/19 century now and then some move back in time and to another region.

cawatrooper9
12-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Absolutely not, there is a ton of potential for AC games set in the more distant past- if we don't have a game set in the Classical era in the next five years, I'll be really disappointed and a bit surprised.

DumbGamerTag94
12-09-2014, 07:24 PM
I'd be fine if they stuck to the 1800s for a while. It wouldn't bother me a bit.

My favorite parts of world history are in the 18th and 19th centuries so since we already tackled pretty much everything of significance in the 1700s we might as well hit the 1800s!!!

Honestly I think this makes for a great globe trotting era probably the best century in history for it. So many major things.

-the peak of the British empire and unrest in her colonies(British Isles as well as many exciting exotic colonies in Africa India and Middle East)

-The US Civil War(North America)

- The Opium Wars/revolts against Europeans in China(Asia)

- Revolitions(South America)

- Napoleonic Wars(Europe)

- Boshin War/Japanese Civil War(Japan)

Like it said a lot to work with around the world in the 1800s!!!

Xstantin
12-09-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't mind if they decide to keep the 1800s for few more games. Games would work well together thematically and visually.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2014, 08:04 PM
I only have 2 historical figures left on my AC wish list
1. Abraham Lincoln
2. Jesus
If we get to meet those 2, idc where we go with the rest of the series.. ill even clap for feudal japan if i get to meet abe and jesus first

GoldenBoy9999
12-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the thread OP. This is one of my favorite topics and I'm a big supporter of it. I think there are a lot of fun things in the 1800's to do and experience. I don't believe that this more modern time period will turn the series into COD like some others think.

One that I may be interested in is the American Civil War. As an American, I've always been pretty interested in this war. With the plantation style mansions of some locations in AC4 and Black Flag, I can see how this game would shine. AC Victory could take place after the Civil War so the weaponry isn't anything new. It's also a great setting for urban and frontier gameplay as most of America was untouched by civilization. The tree climbing gameplay could see a return and maybe the AC4 type of cities because none are super big.

A problem though is that the setting isn't especially different from AC3. The buildings are similar and the forests are the same as always although northern forests are different than southern ones. http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/major-anderson-ft-sumter_Dir/civil-war-charleston-south-carolina.jpg (the second largest Civil War city at that time.) I'd mainly be interested in exploring some plantations and their surrounding areas kind of like they did in AC4 but it wouldn't be Caribbean obviously. D'Jango Unchained made me partly interested in this. The Civil War spanned a large area so it'd be great if they implemented some new type of world because there are many locations to be visited. I'd hate for it to be limited to a few locations like Rogue and the previous games. I liked AC4's scale of world.

The Boshin war is also very interesting. The Last Samurai is one of my favorite movies of all time and I just now found out that it was in a war called The Boshin War. The Samurai are some of my favorite warriors and I've become interested in them. The Boshin War was provoked because one group of people wanted modernization, while the other wanted traditionalism.

This is a very cool setting for me as I love the Samurai but I also love modernization and technology. It could make me question one of them. I also think it's cool that Samurai were around so late (1869)

AC would be a good game set here because I suppose it could put the protagonist in the shoes of the Samurai which is opposite what others had planned. After reading a quick plot synopsis of The Last Samurai, it'd be cool for the protag to have the same journey as it was an epic one but that would just be plagiarism.

More games in the 1800's would be great and I look forward to them.

king-hailz
12-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing a couple more... maybe 2... at most... but then I want them to explore the history of the world between the beginning.

ze_topazio
12-10-2014, 12:25 AM
The XIX century is full of interesting events and opportunities all over the entire world.

MegaRock35
12-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Definitely shouldn't be the last in the nineteenth century, but the mere fact that so many people are asking for it shows they need to take a step back for a while. I'm not too bothered with the current time period, but I could dig going back to medieval times (or earlier). With crossbows and throwing knives and probably weapons I have no idea about, it's not like they even have to get rid of ranged combat.

SirTookTookIII
12-10-2014, 01:50 AM
I wouldn't mind having a couple more games in the 19th century. The only thing I want is at least a time anomaly to play as a Lakota or Apache assassin.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-10-2014, 02:06 AM
In my view, the closer they get to modern day, the worse the games get, because they always get too political. I think that's partly why Unity sucked, because there were political factions in the French Revolution that are analogous to those of today. It becomes a political minefield and it never turns out well.

I say keep the games in the 1600s and earlier.

Cactiii
12-10-2014, 03:31 AM
The eighteenth century has a huge amount of potential. From Victory alone we could springboard into Hong Kong during the Opium Wars, the British East India Company in India/Pakistan/everywhere else in that region (maybe I'm the only one interested in another naval-focused game, this time set in the east indies?). There's Germany during the rise of Pan-Germanism and Bismarck, Brazil outlawing slavery, the Napoleonic Wars, African and Asian colonialism... Think of all the people of the century who would be absolutely fascinating. Darwin, Marx, Bismarck, Perry (the one who 'invaded' Japan)... There's just such an incredible amount of opportunity in this decade that I think we may see a lot of games in it. A return to the 1400s in the Indian ocean could be interesting as well- Zheng He or de Gama as major figures?

Really, there's a near-limitless list of potential locations for Assassin's Creed. Think of just the European cities that haven't been visited yet- Prague, Vienna, Germany, St. Petersburg, Barcelona, Sarajevo, Dubrovnik... As long as the gameplay doesn't stagnate, the series is going to last a long time.

Rugterwyper32
12-10-2014, 04:59 AM
While I'm all for settings during pretty much every time period and I've mentioned many other settings in other topics, if getting a game set in Guatemala takes staying in the 19th century for it to have something potentially really interesting, I'm saying let's stay there.
I just really want a game set here in Guatemala for once guys. I'm willing to go from 1898 to 1920 if that's what it takes. Just give me a game set during the time Guatemala was under Manuel Estrada Cabrera and we're set, good stuff there, fun potential stuff for TWCB fans, everyone's happy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Estrada_Cabrera

Matt.mc
12-10-2014, 05:44 AM
I'd rather them take a step back. I feel like they went from the 12th century to the 19th way to fast. They should have moved slowly through time. Maybe one game (or trilogy like Ezio/Kenways) for each century instead of jumping from the 12th to the 15th/16th to the 18th/19th. I'm pretty excited to see how well AC plays in 19th Century London but I'd like them to pop back a few 100 years, they have to stop thinking that they need to go to times where something historical was happening

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-10-2014, 05:55 AM
I only have 2 historical figures left on my AC wish list
1. Abraham Lincoln
2. Jesus
If we get to meet those 2, idc where we go with the rest of the series.. ill even clap for feudal japan if i get to meet abe and jesus first

I doubt they'd ever put Jesus in a video game.
- They'd do well to keep away from any religion specific characters (Jesus, Buddha, whoever)
- The story of Jesus is just that, a story. It would be smarter to implement characters that were known to exist at the time period.

As for the OP, I really hope they go back in time after Victory. I do think Victory will be cool (Europe, modern) however I would love to see a game go back in time. Ancient Egypt, a brand new different culture to anything we've seen. No guns and awesome atmosphere, in addition to lots of new opportunities and potential they could use.

Also Medieval/Ancient China would be awesome.

pirate1802
12-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Note: a modern day AC =/= GTA. Just because itís open world doesnít mean that itís GTA.

Should tell yourself the same thing when you say a historical-only AC would be like a historical GTA. :p If a historical AC is historical GTA then a modern day AC is GTA. You can't say it's one and not the other.

Ontopic:
No
No
No

The better we 'know' a time period the less the sense of awe while visiting it. I want the sense of back that was in AC1 and AC2. Moreso in AC1. Bring it back; get away from 'modernity' ASAP!

Matt.mc
12-10-2014, 09:12 AM
I'd rather go into the far future than the present day. Imagine an Assassin's Creed game set in the future! It'd be like Star Wars

pirate1802
12-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Ewwww..

STDlyMcStudpants
12-10-2014, 09:37 AM
I doubt they'd ever put Jesus in a video game.
- They'd do well to keep away from any religion specific characters (Jesus, Buddha, whoever)
- The story of Jesus is just that, a story. It would be smarter to implement characters that were known to exist at the time period.

As for the OP, I really hope they go back in time after Victory. I do think Victory will be cool (Europe, modern) however I would love to see a game go back in time. Ancient Egypt, a brand new different culture to anything we've seen. No guns and awesome atmosphere, in addition to lots of new opportunities and potential they could use.

Also Medieval/Ancient China would be awesome.

we dont need to see him cure the blind and such.. he could be like the leonardo da vinci of the game... a close friend of ours....
Just Portray Jesus as an insightful and wise man...
Dont have to step on toes...
Where things would get iffy is they skin color.
But i still want it to happen

Matt.mc
12-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Ewwww..

Was that to me?