PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

Jyk7
12-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Ubisoft kept asking me for feedback on missions, but there was not place to leave feedback for the uncharted collectibles. That's what this post is about.

First off, collecting the uncharted stuff requires a lot of what feels like wasted time. Parking the Jackdaw is interesting because I can optimize my rope swing effectiveness. Locating the item and figuring out how to collect it is interesting as ever. Then, instead of the already implemented rowboat system to get back, I have to spend 15-45 seconds swimming back to my ship and climbing on. Multiply that by the dozens of items, and my completionist impulse is going to make me spend upwards of thirty minutes just returning to the ship. It feels like adding a rowboat to those little areas would significantly enhance my enjoyment of them, while also not requiring that much dev time to implement.

Next, the copy paste problem. I've found six islands that are literal copy and paste of each other, right down to the item location. In fact, it would appear that there are only two uncharted locations, the island with the long sandbars, and the coastline with the pink birds. As a game designer, your job is to convince the players that it's worth doing all the side activities. You can do this by making it difficult, giving it a cool reward, or any of a dozen ways. Making it tedious and repetitive does not do this. It communicates that the dev team didn't care enough to make it interesting. If that's the case, why should the player care about completing it, aside from that OCD itch that there's something on the map that's not collected.

You did ask for feedback. :D

Now the good. You guys made this world feel gigantic, and you did it without all that pesky open ocean that's actually in the Caribbean. Every time I hit a fort, go whaling, or clear an island, I get the impression that this is a working universe that existed before I got there and will carry on existing when I finally put the thing back on my shelf.

The water looks good, and it actually behaves somewhat like real ocean water. Too many games treat the ocean as a giant flat platform with a breeze blowing across it. It's really awesome to ride every wave, milking them for speed. I feel like my constant interaction is required to optimize the speed, but it doesn't feel like a chore to do so.

That's your feedback. I hope your future entries into this franchise as even more profitable than this one.

UbiVolfbane
12-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Thank you for providing the feedback and taking the time to do so. We'll be pass this along to the team. Feel free to provide further feedback and suggestions in a ticket here: https://support.ubi.com.