PDA

View Full Version : Feedback, and an idea: Move heatmaps out of the Companion App and into the main game

D.I.D.
12-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I just saw a post by Farlander in a different thread that reminded me of something:

I don't quite understand why there's always arguments regarding guns in AC, because out of 8 main console titles only 1 didn't have guns. And only 2 didn't have enemies with guns. It's like a thing that's pretty much always been there.

The obvious counter to this is that the guards were never as proficient with firearms in the other games, but it makes me nervous to think that you might go back to a kid gloves approach with difficulty. I love the new difficulty, and I think it adds a huge amount of engagement to the gameplay. I think you ought to die in games and then rethink your strategy next time, which is one of the primary things I like about games.

I think you should salvage that "heatmap" thing out of the Companion App and move it into the game. It didn't seem to add much to the app, at least in the limited amount of time I used the app before uninstalling it, but I think this feature would work better on a large screen.

There needs to be a visual way to quickly demonstrate that "this here is a difficulty knot, so run away if you hit trouble or take your time thinning their numbers", because currently too many people aren't getting it. The heatmap could be on screen for just a couple of seconds if you die in a high "heat" area, showing you the area zoomed out and then a quick zoom in to get the point across.

Currently, I chase and tackle thieves and protect civilians not because I want to, but because I want the bonuses for completing [x] amount of those requirements. Maybe you could add some small XP bonus for conquering those zones without dying, as a way to encourage people's awareness of hazardous areas and to persuade them to switch their play style in those places? (By which I mean heatmaps could be selectable from the menus too, so if you wanted the help you could check them before entering a district/mission in order to have some idea of where deaths are most likely, or not if you'd rather not know.)

bitebug2003
12-09-2014, 08:14 PM
What is the heatmap for anyway

D.I.D.
12-09-2014, 08:18 PM
What is the heatmap for anyway

It shows you the routes people took, the spots where they got into conflict, and the spots where they died. When similar incidents or routes pile up, they make a brighter light.

bitebug2003
12-09-2014, 09:06 PM
It shows you the routes people took, the spots where they got into conflict, and the spots where they died. When similar incidents or routes pile up, they make a brighter light.

Oh ok thanks :)