PDA

View Full Version : What is the average sales amount of all DLC?

derrickhenry1
12-09-2014, 04:15 AM
I was curious if you could give us a idea of what is a average sale per DLC song? Since I know this is somewhat touchy, I just ask for average DLC per song, therefore not conflicting with people certain bias genres. Which I understand since some will say "See I told you now add more of _____ genre of music. An Example such as the average DLC sales after 1 month of release is approximately 8,000 downloads over all platforms. I ask because I am really curious since songs that are relatively easy on such as Blitzkrieg Bop has only 9k Hard Score attack entries that have passed. I also know Score Attack isn't really some people thing and completely ignore it. I know you guys have over a million copies sold so I was curious to what sales for DLC you are doing, just want to make sure you guys are getting paid well and are able to keep this train rolling for a while and DLC sales aren't dropping drastically. Anyways I think I speak for more than myself that there are curious others as well. I am just curious mainly because I was trying to guess how many people actually play Score attack for DLC songs, or if sales figures have really dropped off a lot.

I bring this up because I find Tom Petty to be quite popular and after like 3 weeks a song like Learning to Fly, which is pretty easy and fun had like less than 10 online entries for Hard Score Attack. So hopefully DLC sales aren't dropping that drastically.

daddy_felix
12-09-2014, 02:20 PM
since songs that are relatively easy on such as Blitzkrieg Bop has only 9k Hard Score attack entries that have passed.

There are separate leaderbords for each path. Additionally, the leaderbord is platform dependent (and maybe even region dependent - not sure whether psn eu and psn us are mixed or not).

I bring this up because I find Tom Petty to be quite popular and after like 3 weeks a song like Learning to Fly, which is pretty easy and fun had like less then 10 online entries for Hard Score Attack. So hopefully DLC sales aren't dropping that drastically.

Actually, dlc sales are drastically dropping on psn eu just because there is no new dlc for weeks now. I'm sure I would have played tom petty by now if I could buy the pack.

tmitch45
12-09-2014, 02:40 PM
To be honest it will Serve sony right if DLC sales fall off the chart and everyone buys an xbox one!!!! They have it coming and I'm soooo tempted to return my unopened PS4 for an Xbox one!

dm_gsxr
12-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Maybe most people are trying to 'Learn a Song' first? :D I know I hate the sound effects in Score Attack and after a couple of weeks I abandoned it entirely (I also don't play the other games). I'm pretty much always in LaS as there are so many arrangements. I still haven't gotten through them all and there are more added each week.

I will say that turning off the sound effects entirely made playing in Score Attack a lot less stressful but I'm so used to LaS that I inevitably head there first.

Carl

TheJohnNewton
12-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Maybe most people are trying to 'Learn a Song' first? :D I know I hate the sound effects in Score Attack and after a couple of weeks I abandoned it entirely (I also don't play the other games). I'm pretty much always in LaS as there are so many arrangements. I still haven't gotten through them all and there are more added each week.

I will say that turning off the sound effects entirely made playing in Score Attack a lot less stressful but I'm so used to LaS that I inevitably head there first.

Carl

Ditto. Many hours in the "game" here but very few in score attack. Almost none in the actual games.

Sales figures seem like the kind of thing companies are reluctant to reveal. If you're on xbox though you can order dlc by popularity to get a relative idea of which sells the best. Maybe other platforms as well?

Kynlore
12-09-2014, 04:29 PM
If you're on xbox though you can order dlc by popularity to get a relative idea of which sells the best. Maybe other platforms as well?

Oddly enough you can't change the sort order on search results on the Xbox One at all, unless I haven't seen it yet. I used to do it all the time on the 360 to find the most recent DLC but can't use that method on the Xbox One. Not sure why they would drop functionality.

DanAmrich
12-09-2014, 09:02 PM
I was curious if you could give us a idea of what is a average sale per DLC song?

Ubisoft does not share sales data. Occasionally you'll see milestones noted in press releases, and I know it's been publicly stated that the Rocksmith franchise has totaled at least two million players, but individual sales breakdowns are simply not considered public information. That said? If DLC was not seen as profitable it would not continue to be made. We are planning DLC well into 2015.

That said, we do watch the sales figures, and we have found interesting correlations between what people ask for, what people buy, and what people actually spend time learning. Sometimes this matches the sentiments expressed in public discussions and sometimes it does not. That helps us plan for the future.

dm_gsxr
12-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Man, now I want to see the correlations. Need a Senior Unix Admin in San Francisco? My cousin keeps pestering me to move back. :)

It's interesting that there are quite a few DLC that I enjoyed seeing only to discover it's bog simple to play (like three tries and I'm at 100%).

Carl

dallasdave22
12-10-2014, 03:53 AM
We are planning DLC well into 2015.

Does that mean you have songs already charted out, or just in the plan to do?

johnnymac949
12-10-2014, 05:19 AM
Does that mean you have songs already charted out, or just in the plan to do?

In the motorcycle forums I read a lot, there is an icon with a dude eating popcorn (i.e. waiting for the show to start) that would be perfect here...

SeattleSauve
12-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Personally I don't play score attack much as I don't think they did a good job on the scoring mechanic. This is also why the challenges index on percentile first, score second. So, the vast majority of songs I've purchased I haven't gone into Score Attack for. Almost all of them actually. The way the streaks work it means 'where' you miss a note results in a massive difference in your scoring. If you pair that with how they tightened up the detection in the second patch released, it just makes score attack more frustrating than anything. The multiplier in Bandfuse for instance didn't have this same problem. I'm hopeful at some point there will be another disc release where they overhaul the scoring system.

Edit: Overall point is I wouldn't use # of score attack scores as the litmus test for how many people are buying DLC.

derrickhenry1
12-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Personally I don't play score attack much as I don't think they did a good job on the scoring mechanic. This is also why the challenges index on percentile first, score second. So, the vast majority of songs I've purchased I haven't gone into Score Attack for. Almost all of them actually. The way the streaks work it means 'where' you miss a note results in a massive difference in your scoring. If you pair that with how they tightened up the detection in the second patch released, it just makes score attack more frustrating than anything. The multiplier in Bandfuse for instance didn't have this same problem. I'm hopeful at some point there will be another disc release where they overhaul the scoring system.

Edit: Overall point is I wouldn't use # of score attack scores as the litmus test for how many people are buying DLC.

I agree with everything you just said. It is the only thing that shows participation online though. So if everyone only played learn a song there would be no numbers to compare too. Score Attack at least gives some numbers of participants. Also can you purchase dlc if you're not Xbox live? I am sure there are a group of those people too. Also to an earlier post about someone saying dlc might me down for Tom Petty because of ps3 issues. I agree for that console but I have Xbox so the numbers on score attack are still low so it wouldn't be that. I saw someone mention eu/us different as far as regions is this true? I was under the impression that all Xbox 360 scores go with xbox 360 regardless of region.

The_Working_Man
12-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Ubisoft does not share sales data. Occasionally you'll see milestones noted in press releases, and I know it's been publicly stated that the Rocksmith franchise has totaled at least two million players, but individual sales breakdowns are simply not considered public information. That said? If DLC was not seen as profitable it would not continue to be made. We are planning DLC well into 2015.

That said, we do watch the sales figures, and we have found interesting correlations between what people ask for, what people buy, and what people actually spend time learning. Sometimes this matches the sentiments expressed in public discussions and sometimes it does not. That helps us plan for the future.

Dan, the other thread on alternate tunings has me wondering about whether the play data reveals anything unusual about the songs that are pitch-corrected (A <> 440hz). Is there a general aversion to those songs and if so, has any thought been given to finding another way to handle the pitch correction?

Some song tones already use an octave pedal to match the audio track. Couldn't you create a (finger quotes) "pedal" that shifts by a only a few hertz and build that into the tone for certain songs rather than having us re-tune the guitar?

dm_gsxr
12-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Yea, I do have to say that I'll Drop D more often than the one or two off 443 tunings in part because I tend to stay in the tuning for 6 or 8 songs before tuning back to E Standard.

Carl

toymachinesh
12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Dan, the other thread on alternate tunings has me wondering about whether the play data reveals anything unusual about the songs that are pitch-corrected (A <> 440hz). Is there a general aversion to those songs and if so, has any thought been given to finding another way to handle the pitch correction?

Some song tones already use an octave pedal to match the audio track. Couldn't you create a (finger quotes) "pedal" that shifts by a only a few hertz and build that into the tone for certain songs rather than having us re-tune the guitar?

Then you'd have to use that pitch shifting throughout the whole song in addition to tones. That's a lot of resources.

The_Working_Man
12-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Then you'd have to use that pitch shifting throughout the whole song in addition to tones. That's a lot of resources.

No, you'd just add the pitch-shifting pedal to the chain within the tone and leave it there the whole time. How would that use any more resources than any other tone with a pedal in it? It'd certainly be less intensive than constantly switching in and out like they've already shown a willingness to do.

toymachinesh
12-11-2014, 04:58 PM
You are talking about two different things though.

the Octave pedal doesn't make your input register as a different pitch it just outputs it as such.

You are talking about the software shifting the pitch of your guitar on the fly down (or up) for an entire song.

Also they have stated in the past that they don't always have permission to pitch shift songs. Although they have with a few (Mississippi Queen, Hitch A Ride).

The_Working_Man
12-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Ok, let's backup a step....

1. The original audio recording is shifted.
2. The notes you play does not have to match the original track in order for the detection to work
3. The notetrack detection is shifted to match the original audio, and the guitar *then* has to be re-tuned to match the notetrack for the detection to work properly

.... why do step 3 at all, except so that the audio output from the guitar doesn't sound out of tune with the original backing track that is playing?

So, what I'm suggesting is to skip step 3 and build the notetrack without the pitch shift. Then the guitar doesn't need to be retuned for the detection to work. Instead, they'd shift the pitch of the guitar output a small amount in the tone so that it blends with the original song. This could be done using the already in-use shifting pedals like an octave pedal.

I wouldn't even expect anyone to go back and fix the songs that are already done. But if the play data shows that this is a hurdle for players then maybe it's worth trying in the future. Hence my question on whether the pitch-correcting tuning is a bigger issue for the majority of players.

Edit: and no original songs are shifted in the process. This is purely a detection issue.

Oldmanjoe505
12-11-2014, 05:29 PM

How do you know what people spend time learning? IS the assumption that everyone goes online to play? Is that accurate? From the original Rocksmith I've had trouble logging in at times from Microsoft, and often times from UBI, so I stopped that a long time ago. The only time I login is to buy DLC. Certainly, I'm not the only one like this.

rcole_sooner
12-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I would like that after I learn a song in Rocksmith, that I could play along to the song on MP3.

If they were pitch shifted I could not do that.

I'd still have to match tunings to the MP3 song, but that is how it was long before Rocksmith came along.

The_Working_Man
12-11-2014, 05:36 PM
I would like that after I learn a song in Rocksmith, that I could play along to the song on MP3.

If they were pitch shifted I could not do that.

I'd still have to match tunings to the MP3 song, but that is how it was long before Rocksmith came along.

Agree, but if the play data were to indicate that overall most people were not taking the time to learn those songs because of the pitch-corrected tuning, then there's a bit of a sacrifice either way.

toymachinesh
12-11-2014, 05:37 PM
How do you know what people spend time learning? IS the assumption that everyone goes online to play? Is that accurate? From the original Rocksmith I've had trouble logging in at times from Microsoft, and often times from UBI, so I stopped that a long time ago. The only time I login is to buy DLC. Certainly, I'm not the only one like this.

Are you personally offended that your data isn't being collected because you play offline?

Oldmanjoe505
12-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Are you personally offended that your data isn't being collected because you play offline?

Not offended in the least, but I also think about things, and not just make assumptions.

Dan said they have 2 million users, and they know what they actually play. So I asked a question. Do all 2 million play online? Most or some, or how do they know. His assertion seemed sketchy to me, so I ask for clarification.

Did my answer satisfy you?

toymachinesh
12-11-2014, 07:24 PM
When you go online to buy DLC it might submit the data it saves behind the scenes /conspiracy

dallasdave22
12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I do wonder sometimes about song play counting. For example, every time I play a Police song, does a counter somewhere in SanFran go up and when it reaches a certain point will Dan (or someone) will say "geez, the Police are popular enough it's time for a second pack"

They must be able to track which songs are played the most, as well which have the most purchases. And it's probably broken down by platform (sorry PS guys - lol).

I don't mind that - as long as bands I like get second packs :)

The_Working_Man
12-11-2014, 07:39 PM
His assertion seemed sketchy to me, so I ask for clarification.

They probably just evaluate the data they do have, rather than that which they don't have.

Yrd
12-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Learn a song is just about the only way I play. I don't really like the score attack thing, feels more gamey than the first game.

Dagreenskins
12-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Score Attack has so much potential to be a great feature in RS. I sight read the songs I play and having the multipliers and X flash on the screen makes it unusable for me. Then only being able to get three X's and then you are kicked out of the song just seems silly. I only used Score Attack when it first came out and then stopped using. Maybe the next version that will address some of these concerns.

sh1kamaru-
12-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I agree with everything you just said. It is the only thing that shows participation online though. So if everyone only played learn a song there would be no numbers to compare too. Score Attack at least gives some numbers of participants. Also can you purchase dlc if you're not Xbox live? I am sure there are a group of those people too. Also to an earlier post about someone saying dlc might me down for Tom Petty because of ps3 issues. I agree for that console but I have Xbox so the numbers on score attack are still low so it wouldn't be that. I saw someone mention eu/us different as far as regions is this true? I was under the impression that all Xbox 360 scores go with xbox 360 regardless of region.

well, we only get to see people who passed the song actually (those who failed won’t appear). On PS3 it’s awfully sluggish btw, if you ask for a leaderboard you can go drink a coffee and wait for the actual data.

With that said, given that the game constantly exchanges data with servers I’m pretty sure they are aware of what we’re doing in the game at all times, that data just isn’t public.
Must be pretty interesting to work on big data at ubi !

derrickhenry1
12-13-2014, 10:59 AM
well, we only get to see people who passed the song actually (those who failed won’t appear). On PS3 it’s awfully sluggish btw, if you ask for a leaderboard you can go drink a coffee and wait for the actual data.

With that said, given that the game constantly exchanges data with servers I’m pretty sure they are aware of what we’re doing in the game at all times, that data just isn’t public.
Must be pretty interesting to work on big data at ubi !

Yeah there are many different groups of DLC purchasers. There are those who purchase songs who play maybe only Medium score attack or Easy, some in Hard. Then there is the different paths as well. So there are those who only play Rhythm and those who only play Lead, and those who play both. Then there are Bass only players who only play score attack or only Learn a song. Then there is a huge group who completely play offline. With their being 3 paths it is hard to really guess how many are actually purchasing DLC. There are those who purchase
DLC for more than one console or system. I am glad there is DLC for 2015 and no real end in sight.

JakeSeattleX19
12-13-2014, 04:42 PM
For me, I use learn a song mode first. If I get time then I do score attack.

Before rocksmith I would practice the same thing 30 minutes a day on guitar. Never practicing anything on bass. I got really good at flying through scales and playing fast solo parts, but never anything else. Now with rocksmith I use learn a song mode as bass practice. It forces me to play something new from start to finish. I get new content to practice with every week. Then on the weekend I go into the recording studio and work on my stuff. I never need to warm up any more due to how I practice. I buy it all for that reason.

It would be safe to say, my purchasing and dlc play habits do not reflect the average user.

Score attack will show less results for hard stuff due to failures. It would have no reflection on sales other than to show the easy songs that are also popular songs. Every player will have speed/difficulty/complexity issues differently on any given song.

fatherrock
12-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Dan has a point

The following might OR might not be the same

music we like to listen to
music we want to be able to play
music that is fun to play
music that is easy enough to play

and not every customers answers pan out the same

I think that is why business majors need calculus.

to deal with 'touchy/feely' ratios and averages

what I do like, DLC though 2015..cool

am glad Ubisoft didn't axe the title when the bottom dropped out of
guitar hero and rock band

am glad the risk they took paid off.

What I want for Christmas ?
something fun and easy to play.
good enough