PDA

View Full Version : Why "Victory"?

cawatrooper9
12-08-2014, 03:19 AM
Victory: noun \ˈvik-t(ə-)rē\
1) the overcoming of an enemy or antagonist
2)achievement of mastery or success in a struggle or endeavor against odds or difficulties

The new rumored AC title has me a bit worried. Do you think that "Victory" implies some sort of conclusion to the series? Whose victory might it be? What might the victory be?

I know the best we can hope for is some wild speculation right now, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

I-Like-Pie45
12-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Victory refers to Ubisoft's ability to get you to buy this game after you made a million angry forum posts saying you were done with AC.

ze_topazio
12-08-2014, 03:38 AM
A obvious reference to the time period portrayed, the Victorian era.

GoldenBoy9999
12-08-2014, 04:06 AM
Victory refers to the time period and probably a little something in the story. Don't fret over the possibility of it being the last game. It's pretty much a guarantee they have more coming. They wouldn't have sent out those surveys if this was the last one.

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 04:09 AM
Stupid name aside,it's based off the time this AC is set in,the Victorian era.
Because AC Reign or AC Vendetta isn't good.

bros_that_own
12-08-2014, 04:11 AM
Is everyone sure it is going to be the official title? It could just be a codename like 'Comet' was for 'Rogue'.

DumbGamerTag94
12-08-2014, 04:20 AM
My guess:

You will actually play as a Templar in AC Victory. And experience the golden age of Templar domination over the British Empire. During the Victorian era when the sun never set on the empire!(hopefully a few missions in some of the colonies!!!!! India, Afghanistan, Hong Kong, Africa. So much room there for some cool side missions/campaign plots!!! Even if it's just like Princepe in AC4 I'd be cool with it or maybe even small cities like Versailles was in Unity??? Don't waste that potential Ubi!!! I've missed the globe trotter feel to AC that AC3s peg leg missions gave us!! It was a great way to diversify that game and was just fun seeing the different locations!) the title could elude to the Templars securing their greatest Vicotry over the assassins since Shay in 1761.

Either that or it's just the lamest thing they could come at that eludes to the setting. Victory=Victoria???? Victorian London??? No??? Verrrryyyyy creative Ubi

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 04:20 AM
Is everyone sure it is going to be the official title? It could just be a codename like 'Comet' was for 'Rogue'.

I hope that happens.Also,please don't post comments like that.It's annoying.

cawatrooper9
12-08-2014, 04:28 AM
My guess:

You will actually play as a Templar in AC Victory. And experience the golden age of Templar domination over the British Empire. During the Victorian era when the sun never set on the empire!(hopefully a few missions in some of the colonies!!!!! India, Afghanistan, Hong Kong, Africa. So much room there for some cool side missions/campaign plots!!! Even if it's just like Princepe in AC4 I'd be cool with it or maybe even small cities like Versailles was in Unity??? Don't waste that potential Ubi!!! I've missed the globe trotter feel to AC that AC3s peg leg missions gave us!! It was a great way to diversify that game and was just fun seeing the different locations!) the title could elude to the Templars securing their greatest Vicotry over the assassins since Shay in 1761.

Either that or it's just the lamest thing they could come at that eludes to the setting. Victory=Victoria???? Victorian London??? No??? Verrrryyyyy creative Ubi

I'd love for it to feature a bit of globetrotting to different colonies. I swear, if they miss this great chance to showcase some of the British Raj, I'll be... very upset.

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 04:31 AM
Like ma'am Mayrice said,stop creating theories about ACs,it'll always look better than the actual story.

bros_that_own
12-08-2014, 04:42 AM
I hope that happens.Also,please don't post comments like that.It's annoying.

Sorry! New to the forum and still getting accustomed to the mechanics :nonchalance:

bros_that_own
12-08-2014, 04:50 AM
Assuming Victory will be set the Victorian Era of England's history. Will we be getting a whole new protagonist? Would there even be a possibility for a previous character(s) from these last batch of games to show up?

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Nah,don't worry.Everyone makes mistakes.
According to a leak before Unity's release,a new AC would be set in Victorian London,and the protagonist would be called Samuel Fey.Since the recent leak confirms a AC set in Victorian London,I could guess the protagonist is Sam.

GoldenBoy9999
12-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Like ma'am Mayrice said,stop creating theories about ACs,it'll always look better than the actual story.

Are you being sarcastic again? Creating theories about AC is a big part of this forum.

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 05:13 AM
Are you being sarcastic again?

Not...quite.She said that because many people talked about how Unity's story would be,but it all went downhill.
Some people here are talking about how the story could be about the Assassins struggling to survive in the Industrial Revolution,since the Templars rise at this time.
If that doesn't happen,Mayrice will be right,and I will be sad.

wvstolzing
12-08-2014, 05:15 AM
Are you being sarcastic again? Creating theories about AC is a big part of this forum.

Of which there's precious little, sad to say.

bros_that_own
12-08-2014, 05:16 AM
Samuel Fey huh. And here I was anticipating another female protagonist:rolleyes: I don't know with each new game there is so much that could reexamined, revamped, abandoned, or adopted. I have only played Unity once and the new combat system felt new and more difficult, I hope that can be kept. I am always a sucker for temple, cave, and labyrinth puzzles and exploration so that would nice too. I still haven't made up my mind whether I prefer to be in the middle of huge historical events or just on the periphery influencing and watching as events occur. Oh well we have a whole year to speculate and dig up dirt.

D.I.D.
12-08-2014, 05:34 AM
We all thought we knew what Unity meant, especially after seeing the trailers, but it turned out that the word had almost no relevance to the story at all so perhaps Victory means nothing either. Maybe in the same way that "Unity" was nothing more than a vague call to "Unité, indivisibilité de la Republique. Liberté, égalité, fraternité ou la mort", "Victory" is nothing more than a nod to Queen Victoria.

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Samuel Fey huh. And here I was anticipating another female protagonist:rolleyes: I don't know with each new game there is so much that could reexamined, revamped, abandoned, or adopted. I have only played Unity once and the new combat system felt new and more difficult, I hope that can be kept. I am always a sucker for temple, cave, and labyrinth puzzles and exploration so that would nice too. I still haven't made up my mind whether I prefer to be in the middle of huge historical events or just on the periphery influencing and watching as events occur. Oh well we have a whole year to speculate and dig up dirt.

Well,let's leave it to Ubisoft,surely they know what they're doing...
See,Golden,that's sarcasm.The three dots.I never forget them.

Aphex_Tim
12-08-2014, 06:27 AM
We all thought we knew what Unity meant, especially after seeing the trailers, but it turned out that the word had almost no relevance to the story at all so perhaps Victory means nothing either. Maybe in the same way that "Unity" was nothing more than a vague call to "Unité, indivisibilité de la Republique. Liberté, égalité, fraternité ou la mort", "Victory" is nothing more than a nod to Queen Victoria.

It can be interpreted in multiple ways. Like the truce between Mirabeau and De La Serre, basically attempting to unite the Assassins and Templars.
It could be referring to what you said: "Unité, indivisibilité de la Republique. Liberté, égalité, fraternité ou la mort".
It could be referring to the co-op aspect; uniting with other players. It could be referring to all of these at once.

That said, I believe Victory doesn't only refer to the Victorian era but could also mean victory of the Templars over the Assassins. There must be reason why the Templars are so powerful in the modern day and the Assassins pushed so far underground.

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 06:50 AM
It's probably a codename like how Comet was to Rogue.

Someone brought up "Reign" would probably be the real title instead of Victory which sounds better if you think bout it.

Reign could reference Queen Victoria's Reign, the Reign of the Templars in this era, etc.

Rafe Harwood
12-08-2014, 07:36 AM
It's probably a codename like how Comet was to Rogue.

Someone brought up "Reign" would probably be the real title instead of Victory which sounds better if you think bout it.

Reign could reference Queen Victoria's Reign, the Reign of the Templars in this era, etc.

Considering there is currently an ongoing tv series about Mary QoS at French court, the use of this title would be a non-starter.

There would be confusion when the word was mentioned, not something that anyone in marketing would ever accept/go with.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I'd put money on it being a code name.. Victory for Victorian england.. and emphasis on the V
Assassin's Creed V
They didnt plan on screen shots being leaked, but possibly the code name.. like comet was clearly code for Ice... calling it rogue wouldve spoiled the story surprise

Rafe Harwood
12-08-2014, 08:06 AM
I'd put money on it being a code name.. Victory for Victorian england.. and emphasis on the V
Assassin's Creed V
They didnt plan on screen shots being leaked, but possibly the code name.. like comet was clearly code for Ice... calling it rogue wouldve spoiled the story surprise

This. Very good point.

Having a working title that has no meaning to the story is a darn good way of not leaking the actual story even if the name gets out. Good catch that man.

king-hailz
12-08-2014, 09:10 AM
This is the last one however it will be reviewed well and then ubisoft will make another one ...

marvelfannumber
12-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Assassin's Creed V

Then again we all thought that "Unity" was a codename for AC5 so who knows? It could go either way at this point.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Why "Victory"?

Because although it would be more accurate, "Assassin's Creed: Circling the Drain" isn't as catchy.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Assassin's Creed V...

Surely Unity was AC5.

AC1: Altair
AC2: Ezio trilogy
AC3: Connor & Aveline
AC4: Edward, Adewale & Shay
AC5: Arno

I think the VIctory name is more likely to refer to VI - six.

Rafe Harwood
12-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Surely Unity was AC5.

If you are going down that road, then it couldn't be six either. As Rogue must fit in there somewhere.

However, ACII had 3 so... your theory is completely fubard from the outset.

No idea what the new theory should be though. I'm content to sit and wait lol

Pr0metheus 1962
12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
If you are going down that road, then it couldn't be six either. As Rogue must fit in there somewhere.

Rogue is based on AC3 and/or 4, so it's part of those games.

However, ACII had 3 so... your theory is completely fubard from the outset.

The number of games has nothing to do with it. It's based on the numbers that Ubisoft gave to the games, and on the fact that all of the non-numbered games were based on previous numbered games:

Brotherhood and Revelations were both based on AC2.
Liberation was based on AC3 and features missions that include Connor, so it's part of AC3.
Freedom Cry was a DLC of AC4, so it's part of AC4.
Rogue used the same game engine used for both AC3 and 4, so it has to be part of AC3 or AC4.

Unity is the only game that isn't based on a previous game number, and it has a new engine, so it has to be AC5. No other theory makes better sense, but if you think you have a better theory, let's hear it. It's easy to naysay - anyone can merely contradict, but useful dialogue requires a bit more thought.

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Unity is the only game that isn't based on a previous game number, and it has a new engine, so it has to be AC5.

They're no longer doing the numbered titles because it's the end of the Desmond Saga and a new generation.

Rafe Harwood
12-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Rogue is based on AC3 and/or 4, so it's part of those games.

The number of games has nothing to do with it. It's based on the numbers that Ubisoft gave to the games, and on the fact that all of the non-numbered games were based on previous numbered games:

Brotherhood and Revelations were both based on AC2.
Liberation was based on AC3 and features missions that include Connor, so it's part of AC3.
Freedom Cry was a DLC of AC4, so it's part of AC4.
Rogue used the same game engine used for both AC3 and 4, so it has to be part of AC3 or AC4.

Unity is the only game that isn't based on a previous game number, and it has a new engine, so it has to be AC5. No other theory makes better sense, but if you think you have a better theory, let's hear it. It's easy to naysay - anyone can merely contradict, but useful dialogue requires a bit more thought.

Did you miss the:

No idea what the new theory should be though. I'm content to sit and wait lol

Oh, that's right, you didn't want me to point out an error and let the cards fall where they may, you wanted me to argue a different angle. My bad.

D.I.D.
12-08-2014, 03:28 PM
It can be interpreted in multiple ways. Like the truce between Mirabeau and De La Serre, basically attempting to unite the Assassins and Templars.
It could be referring to what you said: "Unité, indivisibilité de la Republique. Liberté, égalité, fraternité ou la mort".
It could be referring to the co-op aspect; uniting with other players. It could be referring to all of these at once.

That said, I believe Victory doesn't only refer to the Victorian era but could also mean victory of the Templars over the Assassins. There must be reason why the Templars are so powerful in the modern day and the Assassins pushed so far underground.

Very good point. I guess something big has to happen that results in the ability to engineer two world wars, and maybe it's a near extinction of one of the cults in a largest key city for both.

cawatrooper9
12-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Interesting. In the Kotaku review, they mentioned that the actual title saying "Assassins' Creed: Victory" came up over the city at the end of the gameplay. I don't know a whole lot about the production and marketing of games, but would they actually put a game's working title into the format like that?

Also, while it might be interesting to have "Victory" refer to the Templar victory over the Assassins, wouldn't that imply that the protagonist is in fact a Templar (or at least is by the time of their titular victory?) If we're playing this game from the Assassins' perspective, a more apt title would be Assassins Creed: Defeat.

Then again, perhaps this victory refers to the fulfillment of Mirabeau and de la Serre's treaty- in that case, it could be a "victory" for both parties, and their combined efforts might lend to another "victory" over a third party- the Pythagoreans perhaps (hopefully not actually them, since that wouldn't make sense, but another cult like them).

RzaRecta357
12-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Maybe it's Victory because this is the moment the Assassins start winning full out until the Bush era. I forget but don't they get really strong for a period before Daniel gets involved? Thus starting the mass purge before Desmonds game?

Anyway, I'm sure V is still being worked on and needs to be something special.

RinoTheBouncer
12-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Iíve been wondering about that myself. Although I know itís pretty clear that itís about the Victorian Era. But I hope we will see some sort of victory, a big one that the Assassins in modern day or history make.

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 05:48 PM
I’ve been wondering about that myself. Although I know it’s pretty clear that it’s about the Victorian Era. But I hope we will see some sort of victory, a big one that the Assassins in modern day or history make.

Or Victory of the Templars...

Or Juno...

Rafe Harwood
12-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Where did we get 'Victory' from?

Is it just sometihng thought up by a forum user or was it documented somewhere?

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Where did we get 'Victory' from?

Is it just sometihng thought up by a forum user or was it documented somewhere?

Dude....have you not seen the Kotaku article?
http://kotaku.com/next-years-big-assassins-creed-is-set-in-victorian-lond-1665343788

RinoTheBouncer
12-08-2014, 06:52 PM
ACV stands for AC5, thus considering ACU and ACRo never happened :troll:

Or Victory of the Templars...

Or Juno...

Possibly and I’m interested in the gray one ;)

Altair1789
12-08-2014, 09:29 PM
It's just a code name so far. If they keep it, it'll be important to the story

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Surely Unity was AC5.

No, Unity was not 5... Otherwise it wouldve been called 5.....
Look at the reviews for the game..bugs aside.. it was getting no praises and Ubisoft had to've known it wasnt number title worth... Especially the number 5.. MASSIVE bench mark...
It takes more than a new engine to get a number on your cover.
INFACT Testing out a new engine is a PERFECT excuse to not make it a staple to the series by giving it a number...
Unity was a test game...
I think Unity is a Prequel to 5 ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 09:58 PM
They're no longer doing the numbered titles because it's the end of the Desmond Saga and a new generation.

Tell that to AC IV :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Tell that to AC IV :rolleyes:

AC4 was the last of the Desmond Saga...

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 10:46 PM
AC4 was the last of the Desmond Saga...
No... AC3 Liberation started the abstergo employee story... ac IV continued it...
Desmond is mentioned... big deal..hes mentioned in rogue too...

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 10:53 PM
No... AC3 Liberation started the abstergo employee story... ac IV continued it...
Desmond is mentioned... big deal..hes mentioned in rogue too...

It still had an ancestor of his featured though...

Liberation did not. ( Not Counting Connor cameo)

And Ubi has already said the numbered titles are done for a new Era. ( I.e. Unity, Rogue, Victory)

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 11:06 PM
It still had an ancestor of his featured though...

Liberation did not. ( Not Counting Connor cameo)

And Ubi has already said the numbered titles are done for a new Era. ( I.e. Unity, Rogue, Victory)

Thats exactly the point im making though... that just because everything is new in unity doesnt mean it was number worth in Ubis eyes

Jaegermeiste
12-08-2014, 11:18 PM
"Victory" is what the dev team is hoping for. "Victory" is what they will exclaim a year from now when they expect the number of AnvilNextNext (or whatever the Unity generation engine is called) bugs in their tracker to fall below 1000.

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Thats exactly the point im making though... that just because everything is new in unity doesnt mean it was number worth in Ubis eyes

Like I said, each numbered AC was about an ancestor of Desmond, and a step forward to his story.

AC1- The Apple/S16 symbols ( AltaÔr)
AC2- The Vault/ Satellite Launch ( Ezio)
( Insert Brotherhood/Revelations which changed the plot)
AC3- The Key/ Saving the World/ Death of Desmond ( Connor)
AC4- The Observatory/ The Sage/Desmond's aftermath ( Edward)

Unity, Rogue, and Victory aren't about Desmond or his ancestors thus why the numbered titles are gone regardless of how new Unity, Victory, or any entries in the future are.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Victory: noun \ˈvik-t(ə-)rē\
1) the overcoming of an enemy or antagonist
2)achievement of mastery or success in a struggle or endeavor against odds or difficulties

The new rumored AC title has me a bit worried. Do you think that "Victory" implies some sort of conclusion to the series? Whose victory might it be? What might the victory be?

I know the best we can hope for is some wild speculation right now, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

no possible way. I would say that ubi has the next 10 games planned so don't frett

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Like I said, each numbered AC was about an ancestor of Desmond, and a step forward to his story.

AC1- The Apple/S16 symbols ( AltaÔr)
AC2- The Vault/ Satellite Launch ( Ezio)
( Insert Brotherhood/Revelations which changed the plot)
AC3- The Key/ Saving the World/ Death of Desmond ( Connor)
AC4- The Observatory/ The Sage/Desmond's aftermath ( Edward)

Unity, Rogue, and Victory aren't about Desmond or his ancestors thus why the numbered titles are gone regardless of how new Unity, Victory, or any entries in the future are.

Those are coincidences... it makes no sense for a series to just continue with subtitles.,.. its the quickest way to lose credibility just as much as numbering only because its new stuff i.e. final fantasy.
Number titles arent gone... they are just prestigious

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Those are coincidences... it makes no sense for a series to just continue with subtitles.,.. its the quickest way to lose credibility just as much as numbering only because its new stuff i.e. final fantasy.

Well what's better?

A bunch of titles that sound like something out fanfiction, or AC:LLXXXIV? :rolleyes:

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Well what's better?

A bunch of titles that sound like something out fanfiction, or AC:LLXXXIV? :rolleyes:

AC LLXXXIV to be honest....
I would rather know Assassin's Creed XXX is going to be awesome than 'I wonder if Assassisn Creed Dragon Ball Z the rise of Orcs is any good'

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 11:48 PM
AC LLXXXIV to be honest....
I would rather know Assassin's Creed XXX is going to be awesome than 'I wonder if Assassisn Creed Dragon Ball Z the rise of Orcs is any good'

Assassin's Creed: XXX?

Why did I get something dirty from that? :rolleyes:

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2014, 11:54 PM

hahahahahah

GoldenBoy9999
12-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Well what's better?

When you're explaining to people any game in a series and it's a numbered one it can sound pretty funny. If they were all numbered it'd really show how many sequels they're making. Like FF I guess.

Hah, yeah, I don't think that's a game.

MegaRock35
12-09-2014, 12:21 AM

You are incorrect.

According to Assassinís Creed: Unity developer Arnaud Jamin, Assassinís Creed IV: Black Flag is the last numbered entry in the series, with Assassinís Creed: Unity ushering in a new era.
This change was also made in hopes of being more inviting to future gamers who have never played the series before who would be apprehensive of playing a title with so many gameís in the series.

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/09/28/say-goodbye-to-assassins-creed-numbered-titles/

There is no Assassin's Creed V and there won't be one for the foreseeable future

Namikaze_17
12-09-2014, 12:23 AM
When you're explaining to people any game in a series and it's a numbered one it can sound pretty funny. If they were all numbered it'd really show how many sequels they're making. Like FF I guess.

Yeah, I guess you have a point...

For that, I promote you...

Meet in meeting tonight so I can make it official to everyone. ^^

Hah, yeah, I don't think that's a game.

Yep... :rolleyes:

GoldenBoy9999
12-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I guess you have a point...

For that, I promote you...

Meet in meeting tonight so I can make it official to everyone. ^^

Alright Grand Master. I'll try... ^^

wvstolzing
12-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Yep... :rolleyes:

So, can I take the 'rolleyes' to signify that it's rather a parody?

... you know, there must exist an 'xxx' parody of AC; someone must have done it.
But anyhow, back on topic: Why 'Victory'?

Namikaze_17
12-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Alright Grand Master. I'll try... ^^

Excellent... ^^

So, can I take the 'rolleyes' to signify that it's rather a parody?

... you know, there must exist an 'xxx' parody of AC; someone must have done it.

Pfft...Haha. XD

I fell out of my seat.

Yes, it's a parody. :rolleyes:

MegaRock35
12-09-2014, 12:59 AM

Well, there is in the inFAMOUS universe... (http://www.hookedgamers.com/content/blogs/7315/l_KhXCK5_large.jpg)

But yeah, I'm definitely thinking there will be allusions to the eventual Abstergo Industries and the birth of the "modern Templar." This is set not long after the Industrial Revolution, if I understand correctly, and we already saw the move away from Templar Nobles in Unity. Abstergo wasn't created until the 1930s or so, but this could be when the Templars decided to move towards using industry to advance their goals, instead of just using organizations as a front. It'll probably fall through, which is ironic for the subtitle, but if it lays the foundation for market-dominating Abstergo 80 years later...

e: Oh, there's also the things in the Manifesto of the Instruments of the First Will about how the Industrial Revolution corrupted humanity or such. That might play into it, as well.

Rafe Harwood
12-09-2014, 02:24 AM
Dude....have you not seen the Kotaku article?
http://kotaku.com/next-years-big-assassins-creed-is-set-in-victorian-lond-1665343788

Nope lol

Have only seen it bandied about around here. That's the only reason I was asking :)

JustPlainQuirky
12-09-2014, 03:41 AM
It means nothing.

People thought UNITY meant a proper Union between Assassins and Templars and what we got was a joke.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2014, 04:16 AM
You are incorrect.

Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/09/28/say-goodbye-to-assassins-creed-numbered-titles/

There is no Assassin's Creed V and there won't be one for the foreseeable future

he's obviously Lol Jking.... ;D

VestigialLlama4
12-09-2014, 05:02 AM
Iíve been wondering about that myself. Although I know itís pretty clear that itís about the Victorian Era. But I hope we will see some sort of victory, a big one that the Assassins in modern day or history make.

Well, the victory could be more in the metaphorical and philosophical sense. The Victorian Era was a time of unchecked, unregulated capitalism, of prudish sexual repression, persecution of homosexuals (Oscar Wilde's trial) and "the other", where mental disabilities were yet to be given real consideration (Freud was controversial for upsetting that entire era and its assumptions). In other words a time of Templar Order but ultimately it fails and the Assassins win.