PDA

View Full Version : ME-262 Low Altitude / Overspeed Warning

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:06 AM
The ME-262 seems to give me that kickback-in-the-stick low altitude/overspeed warning whenever I fly above 30 meters, but below 300 meters, at speeds anywhere above 200 km/h.

I don't know whether this is correct or not, but wanted to mention it here as 200 km/h seems very slow for an overspeed warning?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:06 AM
The ME-262 seems to give me that kickback-in-the-stick low altitude/overspeed warning whenever I fly above 30 meters, but below 300 meters, at speeds anywhere above 200 km/h.

I don't know whether this is correct or not, but wanted to mention it here as 200 km/h seems very slow for an overspeed warning?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:18 AM
AchimT wrote:
- The ME-262 seems to give me that
- kickback-in-the-stick low altitude/overspeed warning
- whenever I fly above 30 meters, but below 300
- meters, at speeds anywhere above 200 km/h.

Dont think it is over speed, but just ground effects and or weather modeling. Only notice it on force feedback sticks and it is kind of jerky IMHO

TAGERT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If WAR was not the ANSWER.. Than what the H was your QUESTION?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Well it's a very specific, hard 'kick' in the stick. I thought I'd read somewhere this is an overspeed warning some German planes used to have in reality, and its modelled in IL2.

Turbulence and other ground effects can be felt as well, but they're not such a hard, pronounced 'kick', they really feel like air (soft, squishy).

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:12 PM
while youre on the topic of the Me262...

Whats with that white dot in the middle of the artificial horizon?

When I first saw it I thought maybe it was the reflection of the sun or some such. But its always there. Is that something my video card is doing, or does everyone see it?

I have never seen a luftwaffe art. horz. that has this.

AV8R

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 06:47 PM
AV8R wrote:
- while youre on the topic of the Me262...
-
- Whats with that white dot in the middle of the
- artificial horizon?
-
- When I first saw it I thought maybe it was the
- reflection of the sun or some such. But its always
- there. Is that something my video card is doing, or
- does everyone see it?
-
- I have never seen a luftwaffe art. horz. that has
- this.

I assumed it was to differentiate between above and below the horizon, since a simple black line with black above and below tells you little about your flight attitude. The two-toned (gray or blue=sky over black=ground) type takes little interpretation. Don't think I've ever seen the type depicted in FB in photos, either.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Spectre,

Im of the opinion its a left over graphic mistake. I have some LW avionics, and it doesnt have this dot either. Note that the dot doesnt move.

On the real LW art horz, there is a slip meter-bubble (coordinated flight) and a yaw indicator needle. So if youre flying inverted, the bubble on the slip meter would be also inverted which would indicate your attitude even if your wings are level with the horizon.

Ive also noticed that the gimble for the horizon doesnt like being upside down. But that might be because there isnt vacuum pressure being applied to the LW art horz when I invert it.

In the real world, being these are prop planes and not jets with thrust to spare, if you were inverted you probably felt it in your body, the tugging of the harnesses, and the engine laboring-handling. But in the sim world, we dont get these tactile feedback.

The Japanese art horz has a nice sky blue vs black horizon indication. As you say, thats a no brainer for inverted indication.

Back to the dot, it doent seem to me like it should be there on those depicted in IL2FB. Id welcome any information (pictures) that show evidence otherwise.

Cheers

AV8R

Message Edited on 07/17/0306:49PM by AV8R