PDA

View Full Version : Are you finished with AC

OpticSpecs
12-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I am wondering if people are finished with Assassin's Creed or still love the series and will buy the next game.

Rafe Harwood
12-07-2014, 01:19 PM
You're kidding right?

We will all buy the next one. It's just a question of how long it takes to get it :D

OpticSpecs
12-07-2014, 01:22 PM
You're kidding right?

We will all buy the next one. It's just a question of how long it takes to get it :D

True

Sabutto
12-07-2014, 01:23 PM
This is literally the worst forum to ask that question on...

of course the answer is NO.

#Done

Shahkulu101
12-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Not sure. If the next game is bad story wise then I don't see the point.

Yes, the gameplay has improved significantly but it STILL pales in comparison to other AAA stealth games - even Ubi's own SC and W_D. So I can get my stealth fix elsewhere if the stories become weaker, the heart of these games lies in the narrative and if it's not pulling me in I see no reason to continue buying AC if the gameplay is done better by other stealth/action titles.

deskpe
12-07-2014, 02:01 PM
If people were truly done with AC i'd hoped they would stop visiting the forums. ;)

I'm very much NOT don with ac, I've had a good time with UNITY. Whatever issues I've noticed feels like new gen growing pains aswell as typical issues all open world games got.

RinoTheBouncer
12-07-2014, 02:03 PM
I still love the series and I’m still gonna buy the next game. I’m just praying that the story will return to being their No.1 priority. Not the new mechanics, not Co-op, not the massive number of crowds or online contents, but the story of the Assassins and the Templars.

deskpe
12-07-2014, 02:07 PM
I still love the series and I’m still gonna buy the next game. I’m just praying that the story will return to being their No.1 priority. Not the new mechanics, not Co-op, not the massive number of crowds or online contents, but the story of the Assassins and the Templars.

Well considering they alreday managed the big crowds etc. that should take less manhours to do for the upcoming games.

But yeah all the cutscenes from the COOP should have been spendt on the singleplayer story.

Shahkulu101
12-07-2014, 02:09 PM

What good is imbalance? Prioritizing one thing over the other doesn't help the overall game - it needs to be good in all aspects. Imagine if the stealth in TLoU was broken but the story was still as good. The great story would be marred by bad gameplay. Look at the Order 1886 too, it is very focused on being 'cinematic' but offers absolutely nothing in the way of interesting gameplay. The key is to merge all the elements of a game together to deliver the best experience.

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 02:15 PM
What good is imbalance? Prioritizing one thing over the other doesn't help the overall game - it needs to be good in all aspects. Imagine if the stealth in TLoU was broken but the story was still as good. The great story would be marred by bad gameplay. Look at the Order 1886 too, it is very focused on being 'cinematic' but offers absolutely nothing in the way of interesting gameplay. The key is to merge all the elements of a game together to deliver the best experience.

This.

RinoTheBouncer
12-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Well considering they alreday managed the big crowds etc. that should take less manhours to do for the upcoming games.

But yeah all the cutscenes from the COOP should have been spendt on the singleplayer story.

Yeah. I was surprised to see how small the role of Napoleon was. Instead of co-op missions and the rest of the side missions that are 3 times longer than the game itself, we should’ve had a long, well-made and rich mandatory single player campaign.

When I saw that ACIV’s promo campaign and the game itself was all about being a cool sailor, and ACU being all about Co-op and online while the story is given not the backseat but standing at the backdoor of the cinema, it made me throw away all those “fancy” new mechanics to get at least a tiny bit of story-telling in modern day, history, first civ. and some well thought puzzles like glyphs and rifts which were present in the Desmond Saga.

The games back then didn’t have the online features of the latest games nor the ships or the crowds or the co-op, and there were certainly no companion apps or helper websites that add more to the story, yet the games themselves were both commercially and critically successful, especially ACII and AC:B. So the games don’t really need to keep shoving more and more side missions and pointless connectivity. They just gotta write a good and well connected story. That’s what I meant.

Rugterwyper32
12-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Nah, not finished with it yet. And unless another developer steps up their game and makes a game based around historical settings that's not an RTS and matches or surpasses the quality of this series, I won't. I've said it on other topics: I'm here for the historical tourism and stuff more than anything else.

GoldenBoy9999
12-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Of course I'm not done with the series. I expect Victory to reform Unity like AC1-AC2 and AC3-AC4. If Victory was available for pre-order, you can bet that I'd pre-order it.

Rafe Harwood
12-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Of course I'm not done with the series. I expect Victory to reform Unity like AC1-AC2 and AC3-AC4. If Victory was available for pre-order, you can bet that I'd pre-order it.
this

I don't even have a hexbone but I already have my copy of Unity just waiting on me getting one. It's part of my collection.

Jackdaw951
12-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Not sure. I was done with it after hating Revelations. But then the wonderful AC4: BF came along, and sucked me back in. Now here's Unity, and unfinished, buggy mess of a game which feels strangely closed in, given the scope of its setting. After the open-world freedom and varied gameplay in Black Flag, I'm disappointed to see the series recoil back to its old one-trick-pony roots, and without the essential technical polish to boot.

I guess it depends on what comes next. If it's Unity 2: The English Version, then yeah, I'm probably done with it--at least until whatever follows that.

DynaRider
12-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Each one of the games has had some thing or things that I didn't like and irritated me. Timed tasks such as the one you had to run, swing, jump and reach way points before the task reset. Wall jumps. I always had a hard time hitting the wall and jumping left or right to grab a hand hold. Tailing missions that required you to stay within a circle surrounding the quarry and resetting the mission when you were discovered. The races. Free running has always been a bit hard to do with the assassin's propensity to grab and climb on unintended places and just trying to get him to run in a straight line. And currently, all of the on line requirements and coop stuff for certain achievements in Unity. Overall though the game play, graphics and other aspects of the games outweighed the minor irritants. Who didn't think Lucy looked good when they dressed her in tight jeans and a sweater? I'm a big fan of Assassin's Creed and I'll continue to be a fan, warts and all.

Hans684
12-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Yes, I finished the original ages ago.

LoyalACFan
12-07-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't even understand why a person would say this if they like the series. Mechanically and aesthetically, Unity was an absolutely massive step in the right direction. Without the bugs and crap story, it would have been lauded as the best entry by far, and those things don't carry over between titles. I mean, if you despised the new gameplay, then sure, Victory's probably not going to be your bag. So wait it out, read some reviews, and watch some Let's Plays before you decide whether you want it or not. If you were disgusted by Ubisoft launching the game in an unfinished state but still liked the game, wait a while and buy Victory used, at a discount. But to say "I'm done with AC because Unity's story sucked and it was glitchy" is just reactionary and frankly quite petulant. You know that bugs can be ironed out given time, yes? And that the next game is going to have a completely different set of writers?

MakimotoJin
12-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes, I finished the original ages ago.

Haha,you...

JustPlainQuirky
12-08-2014, 02:16 AM
I will keep coming back to AC like a battered wife keeps coming back to her abusive drunken husband.

I know it's wrong but I just can't help myself.

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 02:24 AM
I will keep coming back to AC like a battered wife keeps coming back to her abusive drunken husband.

Brilliant Analogy... :cool: :rolleyes:

DanPenfold
12-08-2014, 02:52 AM
I'm not finished with AC at all.

JustPlainQuirky
12-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Being serious,

No of course not.

I'm much too invested in the overarching narrative and first generation characters.

Namikaze_17
12-08-2014, 03:22 AM
I'm much too invested in the overarching narrative and first generation characters.

Same here.

It's a shame they're both lost... :(

cawatrooper9
12-08-2014, 03:22 AM
Letting ACU spoil the series for you would be akin to skipping out on ACII because you didn't like the first game's repetitive nature, or missing Black Flag because you weren't a fan of how ACIII panned out. Considering how positive the Kotaku article sounded (and we all know that Kotaku doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the AC series), I think that "Victory" will be a vast improvement for this next gen Assassin's Creed movement.

RADAR__4077
12-08-2014, 03:43 AM
I'm definitely not going to make the mistake of preordering again. I am extremely frustrated that I still cannot access some of the content I have already paid for, the now free dlc hasn't been released yet, but there is already talk of a sequel! I just want the game I have now to work properly.

I have already started a thread that has well over 1,000 views and a few dozen responses addressing the primary issue I have and even offering a solution, but I have not received any kind of response from Ubisoft.
forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/968487-Petition-REMOVE-quot-CLUB-COMPETITION-quot-REQUIREMENTS-FOR-GEAR
I will wait to see how this situation is handled but if it drags out for too long and Ubisoft completely blows me off, they will not be getting any more of my money.

Landruner
12-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Ubisoft is so lucky to have a die hard AC fan base....

GoldenBoy9999
12-08-2014, 04:12 AM
Being serious,

No of course not.

Same here. I have tons of $$$ in AC so I better stick to this series. My room is decked out with AC stuff and I just can't get attached to other series as much, although I've tried. AC has a special something for me.

The characters and story draw me in as well and I want to know what happens to them. It'll also be cool to see how long this franchise lasts. :cool:

bros_that_own
12-08-2014, 05:34 AM
I always feel even when each game has missteps, which they all do, the potential to get better is always there. Plus if Ubisoft this wants Assassin's Creed to be their cash cow for the foreseeable future they are going to have maintain a reaonable level of quality or atleast come out with a good game every two to three years or the mid core and soft core fans are just going to lose interest and Ubi will lose out on their cash. Come on we all know that the bottom line and profit is everything for a company's survival and growth.

Spikey1989
12-08-2014, 08:48 AM
press the wrong answet! read it as are u finished with this game a not the seres, i hve completed the game and are still loving it. had two bugs when i played the game that was a litle hardsh, but nothing else and are now patiently waitng for AC R to next yeat.

wvstolzing
12-08-2014, 08:54 AM
No, I'm not 'finished' with it at all, *although* I've stopped caring about the story, the lore, etc.

It's pure 'historical tourism' from this point onwards.

king-hailz
12-08-2014, 09:03 AM
I said I'm not sure because they will have to do something pretty special to get my interest back! But I'm weak so I will end up pre ordering one if the special editions... I can't let go because of how much they interested me in the past!

wvstolzing
12-08-2014, 09:10 AM
I can't let go because of how much they interested me in the past!

Yes, I think the first two games, especially, have *captured the imaginations* of so many people so forcefully, that they ended up suggesting that the series meant (or *could* mean) a LOT more than what it possibly, reasonably, could.

I've observed something very similar going on with the Civilization series -- not to go into details, it captures the imaginations of players, as though they were playing a sort of history simulation, or rewriting history in an alternate universe; but it's SO far from being that, with SO many absurd, rigid, and sometimes even objectionable presuppositions about human society and culture. (Just to give two outrageous examples: You start with a freaking *nation state* in 4000BC; later on the Stock Market raises the overall happiness of the general populace, and on and on.)