PDA

View Full Version : (SPOILER ALERT) AC Unity ending rant

breakdownthewall
12-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Do NOT continue reading if you haven't completed Assassin's Creed Unity.
Also, I haven't played Rogue yet so please use the spoiler tag in case you have to mention something that concerns it.

Does the main story even matter anymore? I am extremely disappointed with Unity's story, and this is coming from someone who was excited to encounter interesting characters like Madame Tussaud after reading about the French Revolution. The problem doesn't actually lie with the historical portion of the game, but it lies with what matters the most.
I have no problem with Elise dying, it was actually a good decision on their part in order to have a bittersweet ending but it could have been executed better. The whole scene failed to excite or surprise me, and having no music playing at the back didn't help either. It just felt so dull that I couldn't care about it.

It pains me to see how much Assassin's Creed has fallen in terms of main storyline since it's inception. I played the first game in 2007 and have been excited for every AC ever since, and to me the story had always been the most fascinating aspect about the game, but that is no longer the case. The storyline is probably given the least priority now.
I get the impression there's more focus on initiates and DLC than on the main story and that infuriates me and makes me hate the game even more. The city is scattered with initiate chests and they even introduced initiates into the main story. The ending scene was basically a DLC teaser and even though dead kings is going to be available for free I am not going to be playing it.

Even though the gameplay is great and stealth is fun, without a compelling storyline I have no reason to play it, I am basically running around and encountering glitches every corner of the game for no reason at all. I have no idea what's going on in modern day.
I was slowly dragging on with Unity because the story wasn't compelling, and that's why It took me almost a month to complete it. With every mission that I would complete, I'd hope that maybe now I would finally get a peak at what's going on with Juno or Desmond's crew and I was always disappointed.
I thought that maybe the ending would make me change my mind about the story or maybe there would be a cliffhanger, but nope. A cliffhanger isn't even required as long as we know WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN MODERN DAY. Why are we relieving Arno's memories other than finding the Sage. what about the bigger picture?! The story is that of a game that should be released on last-gen consoles because it is irrelevant to the main story arc and there's zero progression as far as the main story is concerned.

The story doesn't even f@cking matter anymore, does it? I am not getting AC victory and I think I'm done with the franchise. I know it doesn't matter to you guys and you probably see people like me a lot here, but I couldn't help it.

Thankyou for reading.

JustPlainQuirky
12-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Does the main story even matter anymore?

Rogue's story was great but gameplay eh. Unity's story was TERRIBLE but gameplay good. Seems Ubi can only handle one or the other.

I am extremely disappointed with Unity's story

Who isn't? It sucked.

I get the impression there's more focus on initiates and DLC than on the main story and that infuriates me and makes me hate the game even more.

Agreed. That-Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named ruined so much of the game for me.

The storyline is probably given the least priority now.

Sad truth.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN MODERN DAY.

I know how you feel brah.

We are all suffering because of this nonsense.

DanPenfold
12-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Rogue's story was great but gameplay eh. Unity's story was TERRIBLE but gameplay good. Seems Ubi can only handle one or the other.

Who isn't? It sucked.

Agreed. That-Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named ruined so much of the game for me.

Sad truth.

I know how you feel brah.

We are all suffering because of this nonsense.

I agree with this as well.

Namikaze_17
12-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Do NOT continue reading if you haven't completed Assassin's Creed Unity.
Also, I haven't played Rogue yet so please use the spoiler tag in case you have to mention something that concerns it.

Does the main story even matter anymore? I am extremely disappointed with Unity's story, and this is coming from someone who was excited to encounter interesting characters like Madame Tussaud after reading about the French Revolution. The problem doesn't actually lie with the historical portion of the game, but it lies with what matters the most.
I have no problem with Elise dying, it was actually a good decision on their part in order to have a bittersweet ending but it could have been executed better. The whole scene failed to excite or surprise me, and having no music playing at the back didn't help either. It just felt so dull that I couldn't care about it.

It pains me to see how much Assassin's Creed has fallen in terms of main storyline since it's inception. I played the first game in 2007 and have been excited for every AC ever since, and to me the story had always been the most fascinating aspect about the game, but that is no longer the case. The storyline is probably given the least priority now.
I get the impression there's more focus on initiates and DLC than on the main story and that infuriates me and makes me hate the game even more. The city is scattered with initiate chests and they even introduced initiates into the main story. The ending scene was basically a DLC teaser and even though dead kings is going to be available for free I am not going to be playing it.

Even though the gameplay is great and stealth is fun, without a compelling storyline I have no reason to play it, I am basically running around and encountering glitches every corner of the game for no reason at all. I have no idea what's going on in modern day.
I was slowly dragging on with Unity because the story wasn't compelling, and that's why It took me almost a month to complete it. With every mission that I would complete, I'd hope that maybe now I would finally get a peak at what's going on with Juno or Desmond's crew and I was always disappointed.
I thought that maybe the ending would make me change my mind about the story or maybe there would be a cliffhanger, but nope. A cliffhanger isn't even required as long as we know WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN MODERN DAY. Why are we relieving Arno's memories other than finding the Sage. what about the bigger picture?! The story is that of a game that should be released on last-gen consoles because it is irrelevant to the main story arc and there's zero progression as far as the main story is concerned.

The story doesn't even f@cking matter anymore, does it? I am not getting AC victory and I think I'm done with the franchise. I know it doesn't matter to you guys and you probably see people like me a lot here, but I couldn't help it.

Thankyou for reading.

http://img.pandawhale.com/39876-The-Rock-applauds-applause-cla-OmWp.gif

VoXngola
12-06-2014, 11:12 PM
You are not alone in this, you'd be surprised how many people feel the exact same way, I'm with you on this like many others.

How the mighty have fallen. Don't succumb to greed, kids.

Altair1789
12-06-2014, 11:31 PM
There were so many things I expected in the story, but none of them happened. I can't believe in the end they said they wouldn't even look for Francois' body. Just made me feel the story of this game literally didn't further the main plot AT ALL

Aphex_Tim
12-06-2014, 11:33 PM
I don't think the overall story sucked; it was interesting enough to me. But what's really bugging me about the modern day story is that:
You spend the entire game as an Initiate working to discover the location of the body of a Sage so the Assassins could get to him before Abstergo would. Then it ends with "Oh, look at that! Looks like Arno already took care of everything 200 years in advance. Solved the problem before it even existed. Oh well, carry on then!"
Then what the hell have we been working for all this time?!

Derp43
12-06-2014, 11:59 PM
The ending was a piece of crap because Elise dying was foreshadowed throughout the entire game(And the fact that it contributed absolutely nothing to the plot). Also, it makes no sense because it highlights Arno's apparent inability to use ranged weapons, and apparently people in the AC universe think charging a guy with a lighting sword is a good idea. On top of that, if you have read the novel, the ending makes Arno look like a bit of an asshat as well.

Xstantin
12-07-2014, 12:02 AM
On top of that, if you have read the novel, the ending makes Arno look like a bit of a asshat as well.

I think it's a good thing actually.
What I liked about Unity's plot that it managed to make Assassins look incompetent, even more than Rogue despite all Otso's talk
Modern day is dead though

Derp43
12-07-2014, 12:30 AM
I guess I should say that the main reason the ending pisses me off is because it removes the possibility of Elise getting her own game in the future.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-07-2014, 12:49 AM
I guess I should say that the main reason the ending pisses me off is because it removes the possibility of Elise getting her own game in the future.

Elise is by far the most interesting character we've seen in an Assassin's Creed game (in a few short hours of play, she rivals Ezio -who had three games to develop his character). Such a stupid waste of good story material, and what for? A cheap manipulation of emotions.

VestigialLlama4
12-07-2014, 04:33 AM
Elise is by far the most interesting character we've seen in an Assassin's Creed game (in a few short hours of play, she rivals Ezio -who had three games to develop his character). Such a stupid waste of good story material, and what for? A cheap manipulation of emotions.

It is also totally pointless to their intentions of spinning a Franchise. The fact is she's such a good character that if they continued to Franchise Arno(which was their transparently obvious intent, which obviously failed) they would run into a wall - they can make Arno this brooding love-obsessed depressing dude, they make Arno into a playboy(and piss off fans) or they can find a new girl who the fans will never quite accept as comparable. So poor decisions all around. You had more options keeping her alive.

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2014, 05:26 AM
I just..dont care about the modern day AT ALL. Not anymore. They are NEVER going to freaking go anywhere with it. I focus solely on the historical part. The terribleness of AC Unity's historical story was a low blow. But I justify it to myself by thinking that maybe the story IS good but the writers just left out so much crap like Arno's training and developing relationships with the council members.

It is VERY likely that Darby is writing Victory. He wrote one game then not the next. Then he did the next but didn't do the next. By that pattern Darby may once again be leading the reigns. I SINCERELY hope he is. Because if the game designers can improve on Unity's already magnificent gameplay formula by creating an amazing London, but ALSO have a good storyline with deep characters...wow.

We need him.

I am most angry how the whole "unity thing" was a hoax. There was no alliance between assassins and templars..I thought that Elise would be an ACTUAL TEMPLAR that Arno has to fight against but also has feelings for..but instead they were lazy and made it so that the Templars shunned her or some **** so Elise works with Arno.TECHNICALLY she is still a templar by name..but she doesn't represent the alliance I thought it would.

And then they killed her. Lol. It would have been better if she and Arno fought at the end to represent how the truce between the sides would never work out.

AdamPearce
12-07-2014, 08:35 AM
I just..dont care about the modern day AT ALL. Not anymore. They are NEVER going to freaking go anywhere with it. I focus solely on the historical part. The terribleness of AC Unity's historical story was a low blow. But I justify it to myself by thinking that maybe the story IS good but the writers just left out so much crap like Arno's training and developing relationships with the council members.

It is VERY likely that Darby is writing Victory. He wrote one game then not the next. Then he did the next but didn't do the next. By that pattern Darby may once again be leading the reigns. I SINCERELY hope he is. Because if the game designers can improve on Unity's already magnificent gameplay formula by creating an amazing London, but ALSO have a good storyline with deep characters...wow.

We need him.

We need Corey f@cking May et Jeffrey Yohalem at this point.

Darby is great when it comes to developing characters and relations between them. But he is not effective (and he admitted it himself) when it comes to wrting plots. yet, the Plot is the essence of the AC franchise, and of any saga.

Corey May did a marvelous job with ACI, ACII and ACIII plots, they were all well designed and genuine. Yes, we can say that ACII's characters are dull and that the overall narrative kinda stinks, but when you think about it, the final hours were pretty intense and mind-blowing, enough to make the whole fanbase speculate for years over it. And anyways ACI and ACIII story's are still the bests, no argument.

Regarding Yohalem, he was the one in charge of the Subject 16 engimas if I recall, so he basically founded the Modern Day plot we Corey May, then expended it to what it became in ACB.

But surely a trio composed of Yohalem, May and Darby would just be absolutely devastating and would must certainly ram up the whole franchise. I mean, Unity had like 5 writers, so why not ?

JustPlainQuirky
12-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Darby isn't writing Victory, wolf.

I tweeted him, asking.

It's a completely different branch.

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Darby isn't writing Victory, wolf.

I tweeted him, asking.

It's a completely different branch.

Maybe he's lying... :rolleyes:

Nah, he probably isn't...sadly.

Xstantin
12-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Maybe he's lying... :rolleyes:

Nah, he probably isn't...sadly.

Not to his biggest fan xd

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Not to his biggest fan xd

True. XD

DanPenfold
12-07-2014, 10:08 AM

That's a shame, But it all depends. On what will come with the next game. :) Think positive.

Sabutto
12-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Arno was not what I expected at all. I was expecting a dark assassin with wits and always making snappy remarks at others, who had a secret love for this woman who turned out being a templar. Story shoul have shown how he tried to keep her a secret and fight for their relationship but in the end it didn't matter. :rolleyes:
dude was a utter disappointment to any Assassin who had ever joined the brotherhood. He didn't give two-****s about the brotherhood was only in it because he felt guilty. Ezio joined for revenge at first, but his motives clearly changed later on during the game in AC2. but this arno :s was just a love sick puppy from beginning to end. god dam

SixKeys
12-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Arno was not what I expected at all. I was expecting a dark assassin with wits and always making snappy remarks at others, who had a secret love for this woman who turned out being a templar. Story shoul have shown how he tried to keep her a secret and fight for their relationship but in the end it didn't matter. :rolleyes:
dude was a utter disappointment to any Assassin who had ever joined the brotherhood. He didn't give two-****s about the brotherhood was only in it because he felt guilty. Ezio joined for revenge at first, but his motives clearly changed later on during the game in AC2. but this arno :s was just a love sick puppy from beginning to end. god dam

Ezio didn't actually join the assassins until sequence 11 or so. Before that he was just a vigilante in a costume.

And his motives never changed. Even when he got to Rodrigo, his motive was clearly still revenge. "I thought I was beyond this. But I'm not. I've waited too long. Lost too much. Requiescat in pace, you bastard."

Sabutto
12-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Ezio didn't actually join the assassins until sequence 11 or so. Before that he was just a vigilante in a costume.

And his motives never changed. Even when he got to Rodrigo, his motive was clearly still revenge. "I thought I was beyond this. But I'm not. I've waited too long. Lost too much. Requiescat in pace, you bastard." No, lol. Rodrigo was constantly referring to him as the "Assassin" numerous times im sure a temple grand-master knows his enemies. see what I did there? Opened a plot hole. Just because in sequence 11 they made him officialy take the oath doesn't mean he wasn't an assassin up until then. He was the only Assassin doing work to uproot the templars, lol. Also, the only reason he wasn't made to take the oath earlier was because the entire order at that time was in dissa-ray. Unlike the events in wich unity and ac1 took place.

His motives did change, that white room scene with Rodrigo was him just relapsing on old wounds, as Ubi was just trying to show the human side of him. *Sigh* Him opting to save medici's life instead of chasing down francesco to exact revenge is one example of his motives gradually changing.

the scene with anotnio when he lost the golden mask events " You know whats at risk here" im sure he wasn't referring to vengeance there. There are a ton of more instances too. smh.