PDA

View Full Version : Will Ultra High Textures Hurt My VRAM?

Altair1789
12-06-2014, 01:28 AM
First of all, is it even possible to lose VRAM? Second of all, will playing with Ultra High Textures with 2 GB of VRAM hurt my system? My computer stays pretty cool since it's pretty cold here

playlisting
12-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Haha no you can't lose VRAM. You won't be able to play on ultra textures with 2GB though sadly.

jeffies04
12-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Well, you can try... but it's probably not worth it. Stick with a lower setting and enjoy the game :)

Altair1789
12-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Haha no you can't lose VRAM. You won't be able to play on ultra textures with 2GB though sadly.

Heh, sorry, I'm still a noob with this stuff :)

Whats really strange is when I set the game to low and restart, then set it to high and restart, there's a huge difference in detail. Same with high - ultra. There's also a huge difference in FPS, but I'm fine with 25 fps. Once I figure out how to work RTSS I can look at my VRAM usage

jeffies04
12-06-2014, 08:40 AM
I have a 3GB card and like to use ultra textures. I'm lucky with the frame rates running in the 40ish range on my 780 FTW card... on FXAA. That itself is using almost the whole 3GB (I bet if I had more it'd use more). If I try and use TXAA (my preferred AA) I start to stutter because TXAA needs a lot more VRAM of its own.

It's all a balancing act. Start out low and start adding features/increasing settings one by one until you reach a point you don't like. Or start high and work backwards. You just have to be realistic. Every game release I see tons of people who are running settings way too high and complaining about the game.

Mr_Shade
12-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Indeed - PC gaming - is sometimes about balance - not all games can run on 'ultra' so you need to look at things on a case by case basis.

MSAA is a big resource demand - so don't set that higher than x4 [no real gain] - some find x2 is a good balance - or try FXAA.

This is a handy guide: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-unity-graphics-and-performance-guide

You can see the differences between the games different options - some you may find are OK set to High, due to the small differences to Ultra.