PDA

View Full Version : Desires and fears of AC Victory

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I made a thread about this on Reddit, and so I will just use my list from there in here.

Feel free to add your own below.

*****POTENTIAL UNITY SPOILERS***

DESIRES:
- A story of conspiracy and intrigue (and a rapidly-thickening plot hehe). Vic London lends itself perfectly to a story like this.

- A story where we care about the characters. I think the best way to do this is just too have a consistent few characters that we're with for the whole game. One of my gripes with Unity is that there are too many characters, and as a result they're underutilised (I'm looking at you Napoleon/Marqui de Sade). When you have so many characters, you end up spending less time with them, which makes them less memorable. I feel this game would have been great if you spent the whole story with Napoleon, Marqui de Sade, Elise and Mirabeau. You'd care more about the characters if you spent the whole story with these guys.

- A protagonist who is unique. While Arno was definitely a likeable character, I couldn't help but feel that he is just a shadow of Ezio. He wasn't very unique and as a result is less memorable. Maybe have a protagonist where they're a middle-aged family man (or woman) who is already initiated in the Brotherhood.

- Expanded game mechanics on Unity. Unity has good mechanics, but lots of space is left for these to be expanded upon. For Parkour you can add new animations and new manouvres, such as a momentum mechanic and more depth (balancing on those tight ropes would take skill). Combat could include more weapons (revolvers, daggers), more animations and more abilities, such as disarm, stun, double kill, triple kill (would be hard to pull off) etc. Stealth could utilise shadows, you can move/hide bodies, use the grappling hook to silently pull corpses to you etc.

- Expand and refine customisation. Unity was great here, but didn't use it's full potential. The skill trees were good, but can easily be expanded on. Give each of the three pillars (combat, stealth, parkour) a fully realised skill tree, similar to that of WoW. They could have 15-20 different options each. Some would be passive, others active. The key thing is all gameplay customisation would come under the skill trees. These would be what differentiates you from others, in addition to weapons. The gear aspect of customisation would be purely visual, so you would choose gear based on what looks the best, not what has the best stats (because those are tied to the skill tree).

- The story needs to have more focus in general. I'd rather have no new mechanics and a longer, better story than a regular story with heaps of new gimmicks. Preferably we need at least a 25hr story, maybe 30. Put more effort into the story, and less into side content, such as London stories. This brings me to my next point:
Make side content less repetitive, and more varied. Instead of having 50 London Stories (which in Unity I did admittedly find enjoyable), have 5 really interesting story archs (each would have 5 missions and fully realised cutscenes). Have maybe 5 really in depth, long, elaborate murder mysteries. Have 6 really in-depth, good co-op missions. Have maybe 50 collectibles instead of 400 like in Unity. Point is, quality over quantity.

- Release the game when it's ready. For me personally, I experienced nearly no bugs in Unity. What I did experience however were some performance issues (PS4) with regards to FPS. Many times I was dipping below 20, which is just straight up not fun. It also tainted Ubisoft's reputation. Unity itself is actually a very good game, and if it didn't have performance issues I believe it would have had a much better reception

- No content locked behind external apps. I have seen developers trying to defend this, and their reasons are just stupid. I don't care how they try to implement it, people want to unlock stuff in-game. Forcing people to use initiates, companion app, uplay and club competition is bad enough, but when none of these are working/available, it just comes across as a giant f*ck you to the fans.

- Good writing and music. I found Unity's story to be good, but not great. The actual dialogue however I thoroughly enjoyed. The vocabulary, euphemisms, humour etc I love in this franchise, and it continued in Unity. As always, the music in the game was awesome. AC has always had good music, and I hope this continues into the next game.

FEARS:
- Another young Assassin with a revenge story.
- Loads of bugs and performance issues.
- Short, average story
- Not sure what writer/composer will be used, considering this is being headed by Quebec. Hopefully good ones with some experience on the franchise. My dream is for Jesper - Kyd to return, but I doubt very much that will happen (not sure why he stopped in the first place).
Post your list below.
EDIT - sorry for any typos/errors. I'm tired lol

Rafe Harwood
12-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Any chance you can change that "potential spoilers" to bold and add the word "Unity" to it.

I almost missed it and then wondered which game the spoilers were for.

Luckily I managed to catch the word and stop reading as soon as I saw it in the text :)

LoyalACFan
12-05-2014, 12:25 PM
There are a million little things I could list, but basically, I want Unity 2.0 in a city that's just as magnificently realized as Paris, and most importantly, a long, well-written story.

melbye82
12-05-2014, 01:00 PM
My desires:
Tighter fighting mechanics
Better parkour elements
Better modern day story

My fears:
More Companion app shenanigans
Bugs
Co-op that ruins the singleplayer experience

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Fears:

*Unpolished and requires a ton of patching like Unity
*Unreasonable microtransactions
*Initiates locks more content
*Companion APP locks more content
*CO-OP, specifically the club competitions, locks more content
*Ubicollectibles locks more content
*Half of the customization content are locked through DLCs
*AXE body spray locks more content

...Basically, just stop locking content.

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Desires ( as copied from my wishlist post):
- An engaging story that furthers the overarching narrative.
- A polished game.
- MD that actually matters.
- Customization that beats Unity.
- Jesper Kyd & Lorne Balfe return to compose the Soundtrack.
- Victorian London serves purpose/Is breathtaking
- Interesting Templars
- Encouraged Stealth
- Meaningful sidequests.
- Protagonist has a different motivation. ( No more Revenge/Redemption storylines)
- Interesting figures like Jack the Ripper ( Murder mysteries), Nikola tesla, etc.
- More weapons with different animations.
- Snow, Weather in general.

Fears:
- Cliche Protagonist approach. -__-
- More Bugs/Glitches/Patching
-Initiates locks content
- Undeveloped characters/story

king-hailz
12-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Desires ( as copied from my wishlist post):
- An engaging story that furthers the overarching narrative.
- A polished game.
- MD that actually matters.
- Customization that beats Unity.
- Jesper Kyd & Lorne Balfe return to compose the Soundtrack.
- Victorian London serves purpose/Is breathtaking
- Interesting Templars
- Encouraged Stealth
- Meaningful sidequests.
- Protagonist has a different motivation. ( No more Revenge/Redemption storylines)
- Interesting figures like Jack the Ripper ( Murder mysteries), Nikola tesla, etc.
- More weapons with different animations.
- Snow, Weather in general.

Fears:
- Cliche Protagonist approach. -__-
- More Bugs/Glitches/Patching
-Initiates locks content
- Undeveloped characters/story

This!!! I didn't think of nikola tesla... I want historical figures done like Leonardo da vinci and Mary read no like napoleon and marquis de Sade...

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-05-2014, 04:28 PM
This!!! I didn't think of nikola tesla... I want historical figures done like Leonardo da vinci and Mary read no like napoleon and marquis de Sade...

I'd actually like to see a return of a Da Vinci type character. Someone who is a cool ally who sticks with you the whole game and invents stuff for you.

In terms of the story in general I'd like to see a few consistent characters throughout the entire narrative, and not have heaps of characters that you only see for a couple sequences, such as Unity.

Like in AC2/ACB you had recurring characters like Da Vinci, Mario, La Volpe, Bartolomeo, Machiavelli, Claudia etc.

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 04:35 PM
In terms of the story in general I'd like to see a few consistent characters throughout the entire narrative, and not have heaps of characters that you only see for a couple sequences, such as Unity.

Like in AC2/ACB you had recurring characters like Da Vinci, Mario, La Volpe, Bartolomeo, Machiavelli, Claudia etc.

TBH, I'd rather have these characters more divided and distant like the Kenway Saga. It makes for some interesting topics, conspiracy, and cameos becomes more meaningful. I absolutely love how fans, including myself, reacted when Rogue was announced. *cough*shipping*cough*

I mean, even just the little things like learning that Jennifer Scott is an acquaintance of Elise is awesome. It makes the universe feel so much more connected, yet distant at the same time.

Ohmyhiggs
12-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Here's one that Unity is a Rereleased Beta, and we are paying to test the engine for Victory. I don't forget UBISOFT ;)

SenseHomunculus
12-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Also, please use spoiler tags to hide the stuff that's actually is a spoiler. Otherwise, people (like me) won't read any of your post just so we don't accidentally read something we don't want to. This is assuming the entire post doesn't contain spoilers.

Thx

Altair1789
12-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Desires:
1: Good story
2: daggers
3: different atmosphere/ feel than Unity
4: 2 hidden blades
5: white room after you kill someone
6: not too much modernization
7: throwing knives
8: interiors again
9: modern day
10: HEAVY precursor race influence
11: Old fashioned running assassinations (jump on them and stam)
12: Connor-like protagonist
13: Lorne Balfe making soundtrack
14: In game menu like AC3's, with the Assassin insignia breaking into shards and reforming

If the game is written by Darby and Corey that'll do most of this^

Fears:
Same type of story/ feel as Unity
MORE SAGE HUNTS! BECAUSE EDWARD AND ARNO WEREN'T ENOUGH
Customization returning
Skill points returning
No connection at all with other games

This is also mostly copied from my post on the AC: Victory Wishlist Thread

Also: How does everyone know the ACV protagonist's name is Sam?

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Also: How does everyone know the ACV protagonist's name is Sam?

No one does.

There were rumors about Victorian London and a Samuel Fey earlier this year, but Unity was announced.

So now that we have it, everyone is calling him that until we know his real name, or confirmation that Samuel is his name.

EDIT: I like your list...

Especially Lorne Balfe. ^^

Cactiii
12-05-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm really afraid that the game is going to become more scripted, based on what Kotaku said about the demo mission. Unity's open-endedness was phenomenal and I hope it continues into future games. I'm also afraid of Ubisoft not learning their mistake with the initiate/nomad chests.

I really want a game which follows the structure of Unity- the campaign mission structure was perfect, the city was incredible (especially with the interaction among NPCs; I want a game that's as much fun to climb around in as it is to walk down the street) and with slightly more polished climbing/stealth mechanics (turn corner/side eject/NPCs falling backwards instead of in a random direction, so that you can make it so that a sniper doesn't fall off a roof for example).

I'd like to see a return of fistfighting and improvisational weapons like broomsticks or muskets. Based on the pictures, I really hope that there's more customization, because the standard costume is godawful and stands out way too much.

SixKeys
12-06-2014, 12:51 AM
I'm really afraid that the game is going to become more scripted, based on what Kotaku said about the demo mission. Unity's open-endedness was phenomenal and I hope it continues into future games. I'm also afraid of Ubisoft not learning their mistake with the initiate/nomad chests.

Target footage is not the same as a real demo.

Here's AC3's target footage. You will notice it's very different from the final game, from animation to Connor's outfit to Haytham's character design to game mechanics (like using corpses as stepping stones to cross a river):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7whXT8dsAk

Target footage is specifically designed to market some of the potential new features in the game, and to give an idea of the general atmosphere, themes etc. It's usually a small-scale scripted mission designed solely for the video. It doesn't necessarily represent the final product.

DavisP92
12-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Desires:
Co-op story
Customization overhaul
Co-op skilled assassins (range [bow], powder [bombs/hidden gun], poison)
Better story
Better characters
Characters that matter
More skills
Skills that matter and change gameplay
Weapon placement
More weapons (concealable weapons too)
Whistle
Carry bodies
Co-op Assassin creation

synwulf3518
12-06-2014, 03:44 AM
For years I have been playing and RAGE quitting AC games I stopped playing after AC 4 didn't even consider getting Black Flag or Rogue because the reason I have always quit is the same for every game, Lack of control. ENDLESSLY mounting things I didn't want to, jumping off roofs or walkways on to people or things when simply trying to cross simple open spaces and generally getting caught over and over by guards for not moving where I wanted when I wanted.
THEN finally I hear that AC Unity is adding buttons to the standard R2 Parkour movement to better control the Assassin R2+X for up and R2+O for down I thought finally proper control over my character.
BUT NO, R2 still makes you climb with out the buttons so instead of proper movement I'm back to climbing anything I get even close to and ENDLESSLY being spotted by enemies.
Assassins Creed Unity could be the best stealth game on the market but I find I spend as much time fighting the controls as I do the enemies in this game ALSO it needs more than a tiny white dot for weapon aiming. I really wanted this to be the one that brought me back to the franchise but it's just not worth the price:( if I can't control what's happening properly.

Animus-Ruina1313
12-12-2014, 06:36 AM
What I want out of the Game is for it to have a well written long story. An interesting Character unique unto him self. A fantastic portrayal of history and the people who made it. One of the things I love about AC is getting involved in historical events. I want to interact with the events in history but not make it seem like it couldn't of happened with out the character. I think blag flag did this well. I want a full immersive world, not just one city, and not 3 linked large world maps, but a large world map that extends a good distance and is completely immersive with substance. I don't want a constant rehash of what was popular. I want to know about the Characters of the other games that they don't go back to. Like maybe a document or in-game journal about Conner building up the new assassins and guiding the nest generation to fight in the civil war. Info about Arno in the Napoleonic Wars ( I'm really surprised they didn't go in that direction, it would of had a lot of story value.) Show what became of the assassins in London, Make Jennifer Scott more important, Like maybe she Build up the London Assassins. Add info and possible cut scenes that interweave the old stories without over crowding. Make good use of DLC's. Like if you are not going to continue a character in future games, offer up DLC's that properly bring their tale to a close. Edward had a fare amount of time before he was killed, what he did as an assassin, and how he was at an older age would of been interesting. All the Main character's of the Kenway trilogy didn't have proper fulfilling endings. As a Gamer I want to know the Adventure I made, The character I played, that what he or she did mattered and going on will be okay. The end of AC 3 was to empty feeling. It didn't really feel like what i did as Conner mattered much. Their were some minor plot points not resolved in Black Flag that could of been addressed in some way. Rogue's story was very short, it could of had more to it to inform on. Like Adewale, he should of played a much bigger role, Especially after fans feel in love with his character.( not to mention he and Haythem seeming as they knew each other should of had more interaction.) Keep Major Game play Icons but innovate the Game play based on the culture and time that it takes place in. Keep each character feeling unique enough to be interesting but similar enough to be used to. Dig deeper into what it means to be an assassin and what it means to be a Templar and as organizations why should anyone care about them and their fight, keep that notion relevant. (rogue touched on this from one side but it could be more explored) Include people who have nothing to do with their conflict or don't care but are very important to the story. Most of all don't be afraid to try something new but never forget what makes assassins creed what it is.- That's kind how I want them to approach Victory, or any Assassins creed game for that matter. ( sorry if it seems a bit convoluted but it's the best way I can explain it.)