PDA

View Full Version : Improvements for Parkour mechanics

hapkidolaurent
12-05-2014, 11:05 AM
For the next game (Victory) they will do I have some wishes dedicated to the "Parkour" mechanics only.

First of all, I love the new mechanics of Unity, they are fast, good looking, almost realistic, but not perfect. But since I do parkour a lot myself I really liked the way they implemented the structure of the houses in combination with parkour.
Here are my whishes for the next assassins creed.

we all know that the next assassins creed will have a grappling hook but my text will be focused on the parkour mechanics and I hope they will not put the grappling hook as a main climbing feature.

I know many people had problems to enter a window, which wasnt the case for me so it could stay as it is but with some improvements. Cause to enter a window you have to press L2 and Arno doesnt always climb through the window sometimes he climbes around, so what I would like to see is that if you press L2 and you are near the window is that it enters the window automaticly. Of course it would take away the freedom of free climbing but it would be more precise than it is now.

Then I would like to see some new jumps like the tic tac move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQI4pdkadqU

Then I there is a thing that buggs me alot. Its when you are vaulting over an object then you loose all your momentum (lets say you are on the roof and you jump over those chmney) . this is not realistic, cause when you jump over an obstacle then you should keep your momentum.

Also I would like to see some new vaulting movements (kinda like in AC3 <- why did they removed them anyway?!)

One of my favorite is the double monkey, or the thief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0A5nBEnbnY

And there is also something else:
There are two ways to climb: the normal phased which is now a lot faster and looks awesome. And then is the one where you keep spamming the X or A button to make him climb "faster" . The problem with the jump-climbing is that it makes the other one completely useless and you look like a gazell trying to escape a cheetah or something like that. So my version of the climbing would be that you only can climb in the normal style (where you doenst jump ) and in verse you could climb a little bit faster. And the second thing would be that you only can jump if you really have to. Means like there is edge which is to high so you have to do the climbjump.

What do you think? What would your improvements be?

Lowly Assassin
12-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I would love a button that when held, heads towards and enters the nearest door or window,
I know a lot of my friends have had problems with the dance around thewindow before entering it
It is amusing but also frustrating after throwing a smoke in a room to then dance round the window and not be able to enter when I want to until the games wants me too, usually once the smoke has cleared,
Suggestions would be (the free aim button) LT on Xbox or L2 on ps4

So that's hold to hearing the direction of and continue holding to enter and if you let go of L2/LT then you stop heading in the direction of the open door/window and continue climbing in the direction of the left analog stick directional control

Seems like alovely feature

hapkidolaurent
12-05-2014, 01:23 PM
I would love a button that when held, heads towards and enters the nearest door or window,
I know a lot of my friends have had problems with the dance around thewindow before entering it
It is amusing but also frustrating after throwing a smoke in a room to then dance round the window and not be able to enter when I want to until the games wants me too, usually once the smoke has cleared,
Suggestions would be (the free aim button) LT on Xbox or L1on ps4

Thats actually what I mentioned :) It can be really annoying when you try to get in (even I dont have that many problems with it. The only thing which is annoying is when want to enteer an open door by a balcony you often get stuck on the fence when you want to enter.

Lowly Assassin
12-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Thats actually what I mentioned :) It can be really annoying when you try to get in (even I dont have that many problems with it. The only thing which is annoying is when want to enteer an open door by a balcony you often get stuck on the fence when you want to enter.
There is one window on the final painting heist and its so difficult to try and enter through it, like thegame doesn't recognise that it is a window you can go through,
I'm glad some one else has the same idea as me, that means that somebody inside UniSoft has probably had this idea too and either we will see it in patch 6/7 or in the next game

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Minor, but can make a huge difference. When jogging or running on the ground, aka the streets or whatever, change it so the character won't try to leap and jump onto boxes, chairs, tables, and fences when simply holding onto RT. In Unity, wasn't this suppose to be something that the parkour UP and DOWN functionality suppose to fix? It's a nuisance during a chase in a crowded area or when running inside cramped interiors.

I mean, they somehow manage to take advantage of it in the sewers. To leap under and over stuff, you have to hold onto parkour DOWN. The inconsistency just kind of bugs me.

hapkidolaurent
12-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Minor, but can make a huge difference. When jogging or running on the ground, aka the streets or whatever, change it so the character won't try to leap and jump onto boxes, chairs, tables, and fences when simply holding onto RT. In Unity, wasn't this suppose to be something that the parkour UP and DOWN functionality suppose to fix? It's a nuisance during a chase in a crowded area or when running inside cramped interiors.

I mean, they somehow manage to take advantage of it in the sewers. To leap under and over stuff, you have to hold onto parkour DOWN. The inconsistency just kind of bugs me.
very true. Remember Connor? I liked that he pushed him self from obstacles to get a boost. Like the trees or even pedestrians. Thats agood point :)

GoldenBoy9999
12-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Well, with each new engine/new style of AC we get a new type of parkour. This happened with AC3 and Unity as far as I can tell. The same kind of parkour in Unity should be in Victory and that's ok with me. I like the flashiness and cool parkour look of it. As long as they add a few new moves I'll be fine.

Oh, and maybe improve the window thing a bit.

SenseHomunculus
12-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Suggestions would be (the free aim button) LT on Xbox or L2 on ps4

So that's hold to hearing the direction of and continue holding to enter and if you let go of L2/LT then you stop heading in the direction of the open door/window and continue climbing in the direction of the left analog stick directional control

Seems like alovely feature

There IS a dedicated "enter window" button. And it works fine,as long as you release the "high profile" button while doing it. On PS4 it's the left trigger. I couldn't make it work either until someone on here posted you have to release the high profile button. Give it a try and let me know if it works.

hapkidolaurent
12-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Well, with each new engine/new style of AC we get a new type of parkour. This happened with AC3 and Unity as far as I can tell. The same kind of parkour in Unity should be in Victory and that's ok with me. I like the flashiness and cool parkour look of it. As long as they add a few new moves I'll be fine.

Oh, and maybe improve the window thing a bit.
1. It is good but it lacks of precision in some situation
2. Anvil Engine Next is the same as used in AC4 and AC3 only in Unity its a nuew version :)

SenseHomunculus
12-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Overall I like the parkour improvements as well. The thing I have a problem with are those ridiculously huge monkey leaps upward. It does make parkour nav easier, but some of them are just too much.

hapkidolaurent
12-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Overall I like the parkour improvements as well. The thing I have a problem with are those ridiculously huge monkey leaps upward. It does make parkour nav easier, but some of them are just too much.

thats why I meant that they should make two options

1.the normals climbing where you cant jump but in verse you can climb faster
2. You can only jump when you want to reach a higher place.

Lowly Assassin
12-05-2014, 02:26 PM
There IS a dedicated "enter window" button. And it works fine,as long as you release the "high profile" button while doing it. On PS4 it's the left trigger. I couldn't make it work either until someone on here posted you have to release the high profile button. Give it a try and let me know if it works.
Goiñgto try this,
Why the 'have to release high profile though?

SenseHomunculus
12-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Goiñgto try this,

Pffft you're asking the wrong person. That was a design decision. Because he moves too manically when in high profile to hit the window opening?? Don't know. But it worked for me. YMMV

Lowly Assassin
12-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Goiñgto try this,

No
It doesn't work
I was like one metre below the window (not next to the window) and held down LT/L2 and Arno just sat there
Tried it from being on the grill of a closed window with an open window next to me and Arno does not head towards the open window, he just sits there
And I'm on Luxembourg palace, so I tested it being a floor below an open windowand he still just sits there
But I'd love if the game was like,oh your holding the "enter building" button and there is a window open 2 floors up and 3 windows over, let's head towards that window (okay so maybe the distance the autoclimb recognises should not be that far but it helps to illustrate my point)

And there is an open window on palace due Luxembourg that arno actually runsup with dust coming from the places where arnos feet touches the empty space of the open window

deskpe
12-05-2014, 03:13 PM
I hate when you hold parkour down, and arno still jumps over the hole youre trying to get down into.. attic and sewer entrances.

MakimotoJin
12-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Is Unity's free-running good?I haven't played it yet,I'm really curious.
All I know is that Arno goes Superman sometimes.

Farlander1991
12-05-2014, 03:25 PM
No
It doesn't work
I was like one metre below the window (not next to the window) and held down LT/L2 and Arno just sat there

It works, you still have to move in the direction of the window, not just hold the trigger while standing in place.

I've never had problems with windows thanks to that button. The problem with the 'enter window' trigger though is that it works ONLY on windows. Which means that it doesn't work with stuff like balcony doors or anything that is a full-sized entrance. And THAT can be really annoying to get into, especially when there's enemies inside and you want to be stealthy.

Lowly Assassin
12-05-2014, 03:32 PM
It works, you still have to move in the direction of the window, not just hold the trigger while standing in place.

I've never had problems with windows thanks to that button. The problem with the 'enter window' trigger though is that it works ONLY on windows. Which means that it doesn't work with stuff like balcony doors or anything that is a full-sized entrance. And THAT can be really annoying to get into, especially when there's enemies inside and you want to be stealthy.
So what I am reading is, the feature that this rthread suggests, does exist yet doesn't exist
Also I held LT and moved in the direction of the window and Arno went straight passed the open window and straight passed the next open window,
So you say it works, I say it doesn't work how I am trying to describe it working, as the enter windowbutton is aseffective as not holdingtheenter window button,
If I am slightly above and to the right of a window, and hold left (+enter window) instead of left and down abit hestillskirts right past thewindow instead of going " oh there's an open window and your holding the open window button, I shall change direction and gravitate towards the window"

To reiterate
It should be an enter building button that pulls you towards the nearest open door or window regardless of which direction you press on the directional pad or as long as you are moving within 80 degrees any direction of the nearest opening
NOT
an enter windowbutton that only works if you release other parkour buttons and press in the exact direction of the open window but not door with full belconies or roof terrace balconies

Farlander1991
12-05-2014, 03:49 PM
To reiterate
It should be an enter building button that pulls you towards the nearest open door or window regardless of which direction you press on the directional pad or as long as you are moving within 80 degrees any direction of the nearest opening

The mechanics should be updated and fleshed out, but it shouldn't be automatic and it should still rely on your movement direction. If there are several open windows nearby (and there are quite a lot of situations with open windows nearby, especially in restricted buildings) and/or open door/balconies (that is if the system is going to be updated to check for doors as well), automatic targetting is going to lead to so so so so so many unwanted movements. As an example, let's say you want to go to a window to the right and it moves Arno to the window below, you don't want that kind of crap in the game, especially if you want to the right because there's nobody guarding it, but somebody guards the window below.

Lowly Assassin
12-05-2014, 04:01 PM
The mechanics should be updated and fleshed out, but it shouldn't be automatic and it should still rely on your movement direction. If there are several open windows nearby (and there are quite a lot of situations with open windows nearby, especially in restricted buildings) and/or open door/balconies (that is if the system is going to be updated to check for doors as well), automatic targetting is going to lead to so so so so so many unwanted movements. As an example, let's say you want to go to a window to the right and it moves Arno to the window below, you don't want that kind of crap in the game, especially if you want to the right because there's nobody guarding it, but somebody guards the window below.

Nearest...so makes yourselfcloser to the one on the right
Doesn't seem that complicated
Surrounded by 6 open windows and doors, position yourself or move towarss the one you want to go in, so its the closest one to you

Matt.mc
12-05-2014, 04:07 PM
How did they screw up the vaulting animations? They were near perfect in AC III and there are still those animations but they look and feel so damn clunky, in AC III everything was so fluid yet in Unity, it's not. I don't understand, like that stupid animation where it looks like you're trying to jump over a small fence but clip you foot and glitch to the ground.

Farlander1991
12-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Nearest...so makes yourselfcloser to the one on the right
Doesn't seem that complicated
Surrounded by 6 open windows and doors, position yourself or move towarss the one you want to go in, so its the closest one to you

So first you say that it should be automatic, now you say that you have to position yourself correctly beforehand (therefore - move in the necessary direction), so you're still suggesting the movement to matter, which, to be honest, is much more fidgety than the system there is now (because now you just have to press the right combination of buttons and move where you want, it's very straightforward, but making sure that the game correctly detects your desires without a direct input is NOT straightforward). 'Making sure you're in the correct position so the automatic detection would get you where you want' isn't better than 'move in a particular direction while pressing specific buttons to get where you want'. In the second situation you have control, in the first one you have to play around the lack of it.

And how do you define 'closest' anyway? Is it based on the closest part of the player? Be it hand or head or leg or whatever is the closest thing to the window? What if you think the window to the right is your closest, but because of the architecture and your hand placement, the window that's higher is actually closest, so Arno goes there? Is it based on a fixed specific part of the body? Like the chest, for example? But same problem, really, and what if you press the trigger at a slightly wrong time when the window you want to get to ISN'T actually the closest at the time of pressing the button?

I just don't see advantages of an automatic detection system, especially when there's practically no person that has never complained about how Ezio, Connor and Edward (the latter two especially) jump where not needed or don't go where they want them too, and that's precisely because of automatic detection which Unity makes the right step to move away from. There are undoubtedly problems that have to be fixed to make everything flow better, but I really disagree that automatic detection/movement is the answer.

SlyTrooper
12-05-2014, 06:20 PM
The parkour doesn't need much changing; it just needs polish. Basically just like you said. They need to make it so we don't get stuck as easy, we can enter windows without hassle & we keep moving forward when jumping over small ledges rather than just stopping randomly.

Jackdaw951
12-05-2014, 06:32 PM

Exclusive-run button or button combo is ABSOLUTELY required. Don't jump; don't climb; just run. I am so fed up with not being able to just run, without worrying about nearby walls, boxes, furniture or ledges. It baffles me that this is still such a problem, when a solution would be so simple.