PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Ubisoft

Muzz1031
12-04-2014, 04:37 PM
First of all I would like to say that I have been a fan of Assassin's Creed since the first game. The amount of time and money I have invested in the franchise over the years is not only a testament to the level of perfection Ubisoft has put in the games but my utter enjoyment of the Assassins saga. The entire idea of genetic memory exploration and "reliving" our ancestors memories during various epic moments of history... amazing. The amount of detail involved in each game, the sheer amount of research by Ubisoft's team is nothing short of monumental. I can truly say I have been a "fanboy" of the series, spouting the perfection of the series to pretty much anyone that will listen.

That being said, I can sadly say that Unity is the first time an Assassin's Creed game that has broken my heart. AC: Unity has made me second guess my normal habit of preordering an Ubisoft product sight unseen. Normally as soon as an AC game was announced, I would preorder the "super deluxe collectors edition" as soon as Gamestop would allow me. While the Arno statue was fine and the CD and music box was "interesting" I was very irritated that Ubisoft had stopped doing the flags they had done for the previous two games. I was really looking forward to hanging a french Assassin's flag on the wall beside the other two. That is not the reason I am posting.

Unity had the chance to become THE game to have on the PS4 platform. The amount of press the game had generated before its release was something that had the majority of us foaming at the mouth to play in the streets of Paris. The ability to uniquely outfit our Assassins and play with our friends was something I had been looking forward to since AC Brotherhood. I should have known there were going to be problems when Ubisoft pushed back its release from the end of October to the beginning of November, never the less I was in line for the midnight release. I walked away from Gamestop with a giant box of hope.

Had I known I held Ubisoft's version of Pandora's box, I would have turned right back around and gotten my money back. The staggering amount of bugs in Unity renders the game nigh unplayable. Unity has failed on so many levels to meet my expectations as a gamer, as a fan, and as a consumer. Nearly everything Ubisoft had promised to deliver was broken and/or not in the game yet. The nods to previous games (such as the player outfits) are bugged, broken, and locked behind companion apps. I have the ability to wear all the outfits but the Edward Kenway outfit, but since the chest is bugged in my game the only way I can collect it is to erase the data and begin the entire game again. Which would erase my player club, erase all the collections and other things I had worked hard to get. Spending nearly a month to build "my" Arno up to help my friends during the mulitplayer segments only to tear him down and begin again. Hmmm.. doesnt seem quite right. The customer support to fix the various bugs in the game has been laughable at best and infuriating at best. To me, it is like buying a high end car, having it delivered to your house only to find out they have built only half the car. It isnt what I paid for, I paid for a finished game.

Now I am an adult, I understand no game will ever be released completely bug free. We as gamers have a very annoying habit to find new ways to break things in a game given the first chance. However those should be very extreme things that happen once in a blue moon. Not jumping from rooftop to rooftop only to fall through the world. I am a student earning his degree in game design, so I am very well versed in the stages a game goes through before it is released. Alpha, Beta and Gold builds are all stages where a majority of these bugs should have been caught and fixed. There is nothing wrong with pushing a game back a few months in order to release a product that meets the level of expectation the public has come to know from Ubisoft. Even more so when Ubisoft released another AC game the same day (Assassin's Creed Rogue) that has fewer bugs.

I am very thankful that Ubisoft is offering to give me a free game and DLC for Unity to make up for my season pass. This is a very bold move in order to correct the problems that Unity has caused them. The truth is I do not really care for any of the games they are offering, I either already have the games or do not care to play the other ones. Honestly, I am afraid to try another Ubisoft product due to the amount of problems Unity has had. Nearly every game on the list they have offered is bugged/broken beyond the point of being playable. The only games that work as expected are the games I do not want to play. Thank you Ubisoft, but no thank you.

I am only one of thousands if not millions of angry consumers that bought into the hype of Unity. I do not expect perfection, but I do expect a product work in the way it was advertised. While I may never truly abandon the Assassin's Creed universe, I can tell you this much. Never again will I buy an Ubisoft product on preorder. It will take something truly amazing to convince me to buy an Ubisoft product in a collectors edition. I would even say I would have a hard time buying it brand spanking new. I may start waiting until it comes out in a collection of games (such as the America's Trio Collection) and get everything bug free and much cheaper. I would even be hard pressed to buy it new, rather waiting a few more months to get it even less expensive.

I am sorry Ubisoft, youve broken my heart one too many times. This is one fanboy that wont be back anytime soon. Thank you for all you have done and I'll remember the time we had fondly. You have given me one too many black eyes to allow me to forget this.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:40 PM
My open letter to Ubisoft:

Ya dun goof'd.

TwentyGlyphs
12-04-2014, 08:33 PM
If Ubisoft wants to read my open letter to them, they need to download my mobile app, register for my proprietary online service, spend a few days waiting for me to fix the progression-blocking bugs in my app, followed by a few more days of waiting for the missions in my app to complete. Then Ubisoft will get a notification that a forum post with my open letter has been unlocked, but there will be a greater than 50% chance that the open letter does not actually become accessible.

Rafe Harwood
12-04-2014, 08:44 PM
If Ubisoft wants to read my open letter to them, they need to download my mobile app, register for my proprietary online service, spend a few days waiting for me to fix the progression-blocking bugs in my app, followed by a few more days of waiting for the missions in my app to complete. Then Ubisoft will get a notification that a forum post with my open letter has been unlocked, but there will be a greater than 50% chance that the open letter does not actually become accessible.

*ding* You just got the trophy/achievement for best response.

Xstantin
12-04-2014, 08:47 PM
By now they probably know there's very little love for the app :p

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 08:52 PM
TL;DR

How many "Open letter" threads have we had anyway? :rolleyes:

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 11:48 PM
TL;DR

How many "Open letter" threads have we had anyway? :rolleyes:

Same here.

A lot that I've seen. I hadn't even heard of the term "Open Letter" before I came here. I would've called it something different.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Same here.

A lot that I've seen. I hadn't even heard of the term "Open Letter" before I came here. I would've called it something different.

As if Ubi gives two cents... :rolleyes:

Pr0metheus 1962
12-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Unity is the first time an Assassin's Creed game that has broken my heart....

I know. I feel like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFlp6kl508

There's a Godfather moment for everything. This is betrayal.

nevio_m
12-05-2014, 01:14 AM
You forgot mentioning that it will stutter while reading it and have random bugs.