PDA

View Full Version : How excited are you for Assassins Creed Victory!?

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Tell me from a scale of 1 to 10 how excited you are for Assassins Creed Victory, I am about a 4... what are you...

1 being the least excited!
10 being the most excited!

Sejdovic11
12-03-2014, 09:22 PM
0, you should add that number too...

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 09:28 PM
I will always look forward to this franchise, but in time I have learnt not to hype.

Sejdovic11
12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
I always will looking forward to this franchise, but in time I have learnt not to hype.

Agree.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Not very.

Not buying on release unless it has a good reception. I actually suspect it will, because it is the game that will refine the Unity formula.

flyin-bart
12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Get's a 1 from me. London should be a great setting for it.........jack the assassin!

Hopefully it will be much better than Unity is right now.....

Tyrhydion
12-03-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm not ready for another hype and the reason is not that Ubi fails to deliver quality, but that I, as a perfectionist and completionist, have no time at all, to complete my games, not to mention to re-run them.

And London is not the setting I would wet my pants for. I liked the exploring experiences in AC3 and 4, and now we are back at city maps only....

For the quality expectations, I am not willing to pay EUR 70,- at the start anymore, so I'd rather take a break and spare my money for when it's on the sellout table.

oliacr
12-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Of course its a ZERO, ZERO, ZERO, 0.

RafaelAuditore.
12-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Assassin's Creed Unity is not all what I expected, the story is weak, the game has many bugs, is poorly optimized, I think Ubisoft should not launch a AC in 2015. On the other hand, Assassin's Creed Victory will be set in Victorian England. According to Kotaku, "Victory" looks different from "Unity" in terms of gameplay, I am anxious, but I'm mainly concerned with the story, I hope to see more of a city in the game.

VoXngola
12-03-2014, 10:26 PM
If only you had included 0 too. I'm gonna go ahead and give it a 1.

After Unity I just can't be excited anymore.

Perk89
12-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I think the setting if done right is going to be incredible, so I'm pretty excited. Things like trains and scurrying carriages on a cold winter's night, Christmas decor dotting the dark, frigid landscape, and lots of sounds and sights setting the mood.

its going to be a jump from the time period we've been in for a while now, so I'm eager.

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 10:31 PM

I have 0 confidence in 90% of Ubisoft's writers ATM

And the story is make or break for me.

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Make or Break is the best description of this franchise. :rolleyes:

Landruner
12-03-2014, 10:35 PM
I will be more exited about it -IF "EVERYONE IN LONDON HAS SOME FRENCH ACCENT(S)!!!!!:p ...What?! Fair enough n'est ce pas?! LOL!

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 10:38 PM

The 10% being Darby? :rolleyes:

Landruner
12-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Seriously guys, open your eyes , take a sit and just think for a second - the supposed linked and reported by Kotaku as a start is just a strategic bias from Ubisoft for jumping the sharks on the Unity affair, that is all.

Now everyone is going to talk and focus about Victory and will long forget about Unity.

Not everyone is an idiot Ubisoft, we are not that smart cookies like you, but we can still read between your lines.

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 10:50 PM
The 10% being Darby? :rolleyes:

saying writers was a bad choice IMO.

because some of the writers did well in some parts and not so on others IMO

I enjoyed the story and writing execution most in

AC Rogue (even the modern day surprise surprise)
AC3 (with some exceptions of Charles Lee and Connor's characterizations)
AC2 (I think, I have to replay it. It's been a while)

So if we get more of that, I'll be satisfied.

Hans684
12-03-2014, 10:51 PM
After Unity(filler), I'd say 0 or somewhere below 0. As for the writing, it can do both ways. Arno's story is to black and white for my taste, let's not forget the nonexistent MD. Can't wait for Victory to be a defeat, like Unity was a disunity.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Best written games are AC3 and 4 IMO. Special mention to ACR for it's ending but tbh I was never that into the narrative.

ACU has some good moments but I think it's clear whatever the writers hoped to achieve wasn't fully realized. I liked Bellec, Elise and Napoleon quite a lot. We never saw much of the latter but he was such a boss in that one scene. Shame we won't see the adventures of him and Arno - I was certain that was a planned thing...

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 10:57 PM
After Unity(filler), I'd say 0 or somewhere below 0. As for the writing, it can do both ways. Arno's story is to black and white for my taste, let's not forget the nonexistent MD. Can't wait for Victory to be a defeat, like Unity was a disunity.

Preach, my brother.

Best written games are AC3 and 4 IMO. Special mention to ACR for it's ending but tbh I was never that into the narrative.

ACU has some good moments but I think it's clear whatever the writers hoped to achieve wasn't fully realized. I liked Bellec, Elise and Napoleon quite a lot. We never saw much of the latter but he was such a boss in that one scene. Shame we won't see the adventures of him and Arno - I was certain that was a planned thing...

Agreed with all of this.

Perk89
12-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Seriously guys, open your eyes , take a sit and just think for a second - the supposed linked and reported by Kotaku as a start is just a strategic bias from Ubisoft for jumping the sharks on the Unity affair, that is all.

Now everyone is going to talk and focus about Victory and will long forget about Unity.

Not everyone is an idiot Ubisoft, we are not that smart cookies like you, but we can still read between your lines.

This has already been confirmed by Kotaku as false. So maybe you need to reevaluate your definition of "smart."

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 11:06 PM
my views on Revelations have changed overtime.

Initially I loved it simply for having Altair again but after re-analyzing I have had significant changes in perception.

so its not a fav of mine anymore

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Yeah, most of my love for Revelations is for Altair & the ending.

Though I still really like the game overall...

bitebug2003
12-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I am quietly optimistic...

(8)

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Not a story guy here, mostly a setting and mechanics one. And I am not hyped at all, AC III taught me so.....

pacmanate
12-03-2014, 11:32 PM

Not gonna pre order it.
Going to wait for reviews.
Expecting it to be buggy.
Expecting story to be **** again.

RafaelAuditore.
12-03-2014, 11:32 PM
The story has to be epic and exciting. As a big fan of Assassin's Creed, I want to see a great story, AC owes most of its success to its history. Assassin's Creed with a weak story is not Assassin's Creed!

Darby McDevitt (Assassin's Creed Revelations and Black Flag) and Corey May (Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed 3) were the best writers of the franchise.

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 11:39 PM

Not gonna pre order it.
Going to wait for reviews.
Expecting it to be buggy.
Expecting story to be **** again.

You know, poor writers are running out of stories. And thing is, many sequels of "good" movies and games never see the light because the writers cant hit the proper scrypt. The most damaged part by the annual releases other than the performarce, is the story.....

Shrykull_the1st
12-03-2014, 11:40 PM
The scenes from Victorian London are fantastic. Cannot wait! As long as these games can give one an illusion of what these locations were in history, magnificent. I was just somewhat perplexed with what was done with the River Valley composition on Rogue...

SlyTrooper
12-03-2014, 11:42 PM
7. I'm not as hyped as I was for Unity, but I expect it to be good.

Rumpole1988
12-04-2014, 12:11 AM
I play games mostly for a good story, so AC becoming more and more open world with every release makes it hard for me to get excited. Also I miss the real world aspects, the bleeding effect and the team around Desmond, with Ezio being the last character worth playing. It was fun to think about the lineage and that it took a bunch of special people to access memories. With every Tom, **** (Seriously? It's short for Richard) and Harry being able to access any bloodline of his choosing, there's no point in playing as an anonymous figure from history.
It was fun playing the notoriously underfunded david against the Goliath Abstergo, it drove home the feeling that the was something at stake.

Well, so much for the general direction of the game, now for the specifics:
Unity:

Gameplay:
By the time I started playing, the bugs were more or less solved, save for a few spastic corpses, floating clothes and I think three or four system crashes throughout the story. So, by and large not a lot of frustration there. the story on the other hand...
I also quite liked the gameplay, really rewarding stealthiness (save for the frustrating lock picking) by making fights much harder to win.

Main character:
We accompanied Altair, Ezio and to a smaller extent Desmond as people, growing from brash young men or even insufferable ******bags to wise mentors who's mind and calm was as much part of their arsenal as their blade. Since Connor, we see the brash, selfish *****s but not the mature, wise masters. Or even if we do, only in cutscenes at the end.

Setting and story:
They had the french revolution to play with, and the best they could do were fleeting encounters with a few revolutionaries and Napoleon? What about the notion that Louis XVI couldn't push modernizations past the noblemen? What about Napoleon's rise to power, perhaps even his escape from Elba? Why not broaden the scope somewhat to encounter, Diderot, Rousseau and Voltaire, to name but a few, perhaps even as members of the Assassin's order? Given the "peace" between templars and assassins (then why bother having them at all, if they don't take their goals seriously?) the story felt largely inconsequential, playing out a revenge fantasy and tragic love story, watching from the sidelines, as history unfolds. Did Ubisoft fire all their historians?

Next one:

Well, I guess the victorian era is kind of en vogue right now, and a smaller, cheaper "steampunk"-y Assassins Creed might be fun while waiting for the next "real" part of the series, I don't see how that era is all that interesting historically. Yes, victorian esthetics are sort of popular in nerd culture right now, but why on earth would the Assassins creed series have to jump on that bandwagon, when its strength in the past has been to travel off the beaten paths? Mind you, it does raise the interesting possibility of encountering doctor who, but other than that, I'm indifferent at best. In that era, the crimean war an the rise of nationalism started to kindle what would eventually become WWI, so that era is of some interest for continental Europe. But why on earth England? Yes, it was interesting scientifically, but utterly boring historically. After the crusades, the transition from the middle ages to the modern era and the at least marginally interesting american revolution we'll be content to watch a showdown between Charles Darwin and Lord Kelvin? Interesting in it's own right, certainly, but hardly anything that requires assassins.

Well I doubt my critique will help or that anyone from Ubisoft will even read this, but I feel better now.

melbye82
12-04-2014, 12:16 AM
I am excited, but for the first time iam apprehensive about it. About 7

Dellers
12-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Not a lot honestly, even though I'm sure I'll get it when the time comes. All the Ubisoft games this year have been complete catastrophes from a technical POV, and there doesn't seem to be any willingness to make engines that actually work well. I can deal with a few minor bugs on release, but using nothing but broken engines is unacceptable. Watch Dogs, AC: Unity and Far Cry 4 all have serious stutter problems on PC, and continuous release of games with that issue makes me wonder if the devs are really incompetent. I have never had stuttering issues in any game before, yet all Ubisoft titles this year have had the problem. You'd think that they'd do something about such a basic flaw, but nope. Game after game is nearly unplayable.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Right now I'm about 5. I've wanted to explore Victorian England the AC way for years, so in a way this is a dream come true. OTOH, I still haven't finished Unity and Rogue won't be out on PC for several months. Definitely suffering from an overload of AC.

Wolfmeister1010
12-04-2014, 01:40 AM
All the people complaining about no 0

YOU KNOW YOU CAN ONLY ADD 10 OPTIONS IN A POLL< RIGHT?

I mean jesus christ..what was he gonna do, stop at 9?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-04-2014, 01:40 AM
After Unity, it's hard to be excited, especially when they're potentially going to ruin a game set in a city where I actually lived for a while.

Xstantin
12-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Then Ubi releases a new cinematic trailer and people jump on a new hype train. It's been this way since forever.

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 02:39 AM
Well I gotta say I was just as excited when this game launched then my biggest excitement launch, Rogue. Rogue got me more excited because it was actually an announcement and not a leak. This setting is my favorite so far so I have to be excited for that. I'm going to try not to get my hype up too high.

I'm saying it's a 7 because we only have 4 screens so far. I know when we get actual details it will go up. I have to base my excitement level partly based on how good the features sound like: setting, stealth, and customization. I can't not be excited for this.

The game I had the most excitement over, Rogue, turned out to be my favorite AC so I don't see why this one won't be awesome.

Tyrhydion
12-04-2014, 02:39 AM

For me the best written games are AC2 and AC Brotherhood, along with AC III. I didnt quite get what AC4 was really about but it was so much fun to play. Funwise, it's amazing how much story there was in AC3 and AC4, and how little there is in Unity.

Tyrhydion
12-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Not a lot honestly, even though I'm sure I'll get it when the time comes. All the Ubisoft games this year have been complete catastrophes from a technical POV, and there doesn't seem to be any willingness to make engines that actually work well. I can deal with a few minor bugs on release, but using nothing but broken engines is unacceptable. Watch Dogs, AC: Unity and Far Cry 4 all have serious stutter problems on PC, and continuous release of games with that issue makes me wonder if the devs are really incompetent. I have never had stuttering issues in any game before, yet all Ubisoft titles this year have had the problem. You'd think that they'd do something about such a basic flaw, but nope. Game after game is nearly unplayable.

I think that's their business decisions. Throwing many games into the market delivers more revenue, than producing quality work and satisfying the customer. For some reason, customers are complaining but still (?) loyal. Well, on the long run this company is dead with such an attitude.

Journey93
12-04-2014, 03:28 AM
3/10
I will be cautious this time and definitely not buy it on release
Here's hoping Ubi doesn't screw up again

Journey93
12-04-2014, 03:39 AM

I know its tough given the **** that Unity was but don't loose hope they also made many AC games with good stories (AC Ezio Trilogy, ACIII, IV)

Journey93
12-04-2014, 03:42 AM
This has already been confirmed by Kotaku as false. So maybe you need to reevaluate your definition of "smart."

lol what do you expect? that they would just come out and say sry guys but Ubi gave us this info so that we can "leak" it

D.I.D.
12-04-2014, 03:46 AM
I'm voting 10 for my excitement for Victory purely to balance numbers against all the people voting 1 for their excitement for Unity (which is what most of these 1s really mean).

Not sure I'd describe myself as "excited" in truth, but I'm very happy about the setting, and I'm certainly keen to see more and to play it.

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 03:49 AM
As I said before,history repeats itself.
Unity was the new AC3.Victory will be the improved,badass,cool looking Unity,just like ACIV was to AC3.

D.I.D.
12-04-2014, 03:50 AM
lol what do you expect? that they would just come out and say sry guys but Ubi gave us this info so that we can "leak" it

Kotaku gave Unity the worst review of any major site - the rare "NO", out of "YES", "NO" or "NOT YET". They didn't even go for "NOT YET" as a temporary stay on the bug-fixing. They were also the first to run articles revealing and criticising the 12-hour extra embargo, and the first outlet to announce a refusal to engage with any post-release embargo in the future.

So no, I don't think Ubisoft would pick Kotaku out of all the sites out there to run such a theatrical scam, given that I would expect Kotaku to turn that offer of collusion into a story in itself. They would pick anybody except Kotaku right now.

[ETA] Also Gamergate has the knives out for Kotaku like nobody else. If GG ever got a sniff that Kotaku had conspired with gaming's least popular AAA publisher to help them paper over the cracks in AC's image, they would have a field day with it. Not only do I think Kotaku wouldn't do it because they're a good site that's had good principles long before GG came along, it doesn't even make sense as a hypothetical circumstance. I can see why you'd have doubts because leaks have become such a dubious feature of the gaming headlines, but since it's in neither side's interest, it's 99% certain that nothing like that happened.

Wolfmeister1010
12-04-2014, 04:06 AM
I feel like so many of you don't actually hate unity and just are being brought down by the negativity. Wait till it is patched, and in the meantime, be mad at ubisoft, not at Assassin's Creed Unity

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 04:09 AM
I don't hate Unity, and neither am I as negative as most people.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Yeah I don't hate all of it.

The co-op (though limited) is fun.

And the parkour is fun too.

Its just story is my fav part of AC and not only does the story add nothing to the overarching narrative but its a sucky story too

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 04:14 AM
I feel like so many of you don't actually hate unity and just are being brought down by the negativity. Wait till it is patched, and in the meantime, be mad at ubisoft, not at Assassin's Creed Unity

Well,I said Unity is the new AC3.What you think of that,well,it's your choice.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Yeah I don't hate all of it.

The co-op (though limited) is fun.

And the parkour is fun too.

Its just story is my fav part of AC and not only does the story add nothing to the overarching narrative but its a sucky story too

Still up for Co-op, May?

I get both Unity and a PS4 on Christmas. ^^

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Still up for Co-op, May?

I get both Unity and a PS4 on Christmas. ^^

hell yeah

I'm trying to get to legend anyway.

only like 9 more levels.

also already gold five stars

but i dont have all the sync points yet ffff

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 04:29 AM
hell yeah

I'm trying to get to legend anyway.

only like 9 more levels.

also already gold five stars

but i dont have all the sync points yet ffff

I hear the Co-op is broken as hell...

Is that true?

D.I.D.
12-04-2014, 04:40 AM

Is that true?

Certain missions are really messed up. Some are somewhat messed up. Some are absolutely fine.

I've had some great times on heists, especially with two players which seems to work best for those maps. The Tournament is still incredibly buggy right now, and The Food Chain has some irritating problems because of the friendly NPC escort (and Women's March has some problems for the same reason, but generally less severe).

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 04:48 AM
Certain missions are really messed up. Some are somewhat messed up. Some are absolutely fine.

I've had some great times on heists, especially with two players which seems to work best for those maps. The Tournament is still incredibly buggy right now, and The Food Chain has some irritating problems because of the friendly NPC escort (and Women's March has some problems for the same reason, but generally less severe).

Sounds alright. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:54 AM
yeah some times the mission objectives dont even load.

hopefully thats fixed in victory

Tysodie
12-04-2014, 05:01 AM

Is that true?

seems to only be buggy during 4 player missions when players are leaving or joining (looking at you Tournament), otherwise it's fine. Not all bugs are bad though, I recently had a co-op mission that glitched somehow and we had 5 players in the game, now that was fun, no issues with having a 5th either.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 05:04 AM
yeah some times the mission objectives dont even load.

hopefully thats fixed in victory

With an Assassin Vs. Templar feature. ^^

It's my dream to wear Shay's outfit in Victorian London...since yesterday. :rolleyes:

LoyalACFan
12-04-2014, 05:41 AM
With an Assassin Vs. Templar feature. ^^

It's my dream to wear Shay's outfit in Victorian London...since yesterday. :rolleyes:

The outfit in the images actually looks a lot like Shay's outfit, what with all the buckles, straps, and shoulder padding. Kind of like the bastard child of Shay's outfit and Edward's. And it looks like crap IMO, hopefully the final outfit looks nooothing like it.

The_Kiwi_
12-04-2014, 06:03 AM

AC needs to stop going forward in time
I want to go back to where guns weren't such a thing

Ureh
12-04-2014, 06:12 AM
Around 5 too.

I haven't played Rogue or Unity (don't have the means to run the latter and it'll be several months before that'll happen). And I don't know enough details about Victory (although, the setting sounds wonderful and the screenshots look pretty).

pirate1802
12-04-2014, 06:43 AM
About 4.239/10 I'd say..

Around 5 too.

I haven't played Rogue or Unity (don't have the means to run the latter and it'll be several months before that'll happen).

Welcome to the club! Population = me and you :(

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Only three days out with only leaks, of course the excitement is low. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Glitches, issues, and controversy aside, I LOVE Unity. And with Victorian London being my #1 most wanted setting, I can't help but be excited. More excited than I ever was for an AC game. :o

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 07:18 AM
The outfit in the images actually looks a lot like Shay's outfit, what with all the buckles, straps, and shoulder padding. Kind of like the bastard child of Shay's outfit and Edward's. And it looks like crap IMO, hopefully the final outfit looks nooothing like it.

It probably won't...they probably just pieced that together like how Arno had those early robes in the Alpha trailer.

Hopefully Sam's outfit looks badass. :cool:

The_Kiwi_
12-04-2014, 07:26 AM
It probably won't...they probably just pieced that together like how Arno had those early robes in the Alpha trailer.

Hopefully Sam's outfit looks badass. :cool:

I'm hoping for his name to be Colt or Conrad
That way we would still have only 3 letters for playable assassins ;)
Altaïr - Arno - Aveline
Connor - Conrad/Colt
Edward - Ezio

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Altaïr - Arno - Aveline
Connor - Conrad/Colt
Edward - Ezio

Haha, Colt sounds beast. Conrad sounds meh.

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 07:35 AM

That is an actual robe you can get in the game, though. > Arno the Fearless <

MatrixCerberus
12-04-2014, 07:38 AM
I play games mostly for a good story, so AC becoming more and more open world with every release makes it hard for me to get excited. Also I miss the real world aspects, the bleeding effect and the team around Desmond, with Ezio being the last character worth playing. It was fun to think about the lineage and that it took a bunch of special people to access memories. With every Tom, **** (Seriously? It's short for Richard) and Harry being able to access any bloodline of his choosing, there's no point in playing as an anonymous figure from history.
It was fun playing the notoriously underfunded david against the Goliath Abstergo, it drove home the feeling that the was something at stake.

Well, so much for the general direction of the game, now for the specifics:
Unity:

Gameplay:
By the time I started playing, the bugs were more or less solved, save for a few spastic corpses, floating clothes and I think three or four system crashes throughout the story. So, by and large not a lot of frustration there. the story on the other hand...
I also quite liked the gameplay, really rewarding stealthiness (save for the frustrating lock picking) by making fights much harder to win.

Main character:
We accompanied Altair, Ezio and to a smaller extent Desmond as people, growing from brash young men or even insufferable ******bags to wise mentors who's mind and calm was as much part of their arsenal as their blade. Since Connor, we see the brash, selfish *****s but not the mature, wise masters. Or even if we do, only in cutscenes at the end.

Setting and story:
They had the french revolution to play with, and the best they could do were fleeting encounters with a few revolutionaries and Napoleon? What about the notion that Louis XVI couldn't push modernizations past the noblemen? What about Napoleon's rise to power, perhaps even his escape from Elba? Why not broaden the scope somewhat to encounter, Diderot, Rousseau and Voltaire, to name but a few, perhaps even as members of the Assassin's order? Given the "peace" between templars and assassins (then why bother having them at all, if they don't take their goals seriously?) the story felt largely inconsequential, playing out a revenge fantasy and tragic love story, watching from the sidelines, as history unfolds. Did Ubisoft fire all their historians?

Next one:

Well, I guess the victorian era is kind of en vogue right now, and a smaller, cheaper "steampunk"-y Assassins Creed might be fun while waiting for the next "real" part of the series, I don't see how that era is all that interesting historically. Yes, victorian esthetics are sort of popular in nerd culture right now, but why on earth would the Assassins creed series have to jump on that bandwagon, when its strength in the past has been to travel off the beaten paths? Mind you, it does raise the interesting possibility of encountering doctor who, but other than that, I'm indifferent at best. In that era, the crimean war an the rise of nationalism started to kindle what would eventually become WWI, so that era is of some interest for continental Europe. But why on earth England? Yes, it was interesting scientifically, but utterly boring historically. After the crusades, the transition from the middle ages to the modern era and the at least marginally interesting american revolution we'll be content to watch a showdown between Charles Darwin and Lord Kelvin? Interesting in it's own right, certainly, but hardly anything that requires assassins.

Well I doubt my critique will help or that anyone from Ubisoft will even read this, but I feel better now.

LOL That really made my day. I would pay some serious money for a doctor who - Assassin's Creed game.

SirTookTookIII
12-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Altaïr - Arno - Aveline
Connor - Conrad/Colt
Edward - Ezio

Colt sounds more of a cliche American western name... I say we find something more British... Ima go with Charly Daffendoodle Twinkieshire. Yeh.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 07:39 AM
That is an actual robe you can get in the game, though. > Arno the Fearless <

Oh, yeah...I remember seeing it somewhere.

Wish they had done for Connor...well except in a version to fit his physique.

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Oh, yeah...I remember seeing it somewhere.

Wish they had done for Connor...well except in a bigger version of course.

Same. I mean, Arno still doesn't have the E3 CGI trailer one. It had red accents all over it, which made it look badass like something from DMC. And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhF8W08D24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZeo4dt1Co

^ Yeah... Not actually in the game. And there's like 4+ versions of his robe, too.

Oh, and Edward's too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOqpcesi0Q

Ubisoft, STAHP.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Same. I mean, Arno still doesn't have the E3 CGI trailer one. It had red accents all over it, which made it look badass like something from DMC. And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhF8W08D24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZeo4dt1Co

^ Yeah... Not actually in the game. And there's like 4+ versions of his robe, too.

Oh, and Edward's too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOqpcesi0Q

Ubisoft, STAHP.

Yeah, you have a point.

The_Kiwi_
12-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Edward's early robe design was in the game as a purchasable outfit, and it was the robes worn by the statues of Edward
Perhaps these Sam robes will be purchasable or redeemable through a statue purchase

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Edward's early robe design was in the game as a purchasable outfit,

You're kidding.

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 08:21 AM
I have to base my excitement level partly based off how much the game appeals to me. Ubisoft has given me almost exactly what I requested so it has to be exciting somewhat. London looks awesome and I love the fact that we are actually in a setting that is a little modern. Had the game been set in something like Ancient Egypt I would have given it a 0 because I would be nothing but dissapointed.

You guys are rating this one 0 but I can't do that. My excitement for this isn't "0". I love the setting and this game appeals greatly to me so far.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I have to base my excitement level partly based off how much the game appeals to me. Ubisoft has given me almost exactly what I requested so it has to be exciting somewhat. London looks awesome and I love the fact that we are actually in a setting that is a little modern. Had the game been set in something like Ancient Egypt I would have given it a 0 because I would be nothing but dissapointed.

You guys are rating this one 0 but I can't do that. My excitement for this isn't "0". I love the setting and this game appeals greatly to me so far.

100% Agreed. ^^

The_Kiwi_
12-04-2014, 08:49 AM
You're kidding.

Uhh I'm not sure haha
From my knowledge, the early robe design had a flowing brown cloak, and that was the design on the statue and you can buy it as the "brown cloak"
But maybe I'm wrong about it being the early robe design that you are thinking of

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Uhh I'm not sure haha
From my knowledge, the early robe design had a flowing brown cloak, and that was the design on the statue and you can buy it as the "brown cloak"
But maybe I'm wrong about it being the early robe design that you are thinking of

Uh... Yeah, we're thinking of different robes. The one I'm talking is advertised in the trailer I posted. The robe Edward wore in the video is light blue, with light blue highlights behind his hood and the bottom parts are of the same material.

In the game, the bottom part of the robe are a different material, with different... well, yeah.

Here:
http://static.tumblr.com/df1ca61e09788684b77a7ef22c74085e/npouqur/Odyn9ue57/tumblr_static_9ue6zl1krosowg884gkcc04kg.png

Isn't this

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140124195616/assassinscreed/images/4/42/Ac4_Edward_Kenway_BF.png

The back is different, as well, but can't find a good comparison.

The_Kiwi_
12-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Uh... Yeah, we're thinking of different robes. The one I'm talking is advertised in the trailer I posted. The robe Edward wore in the video is light blue, with light blue highlights behind his hood and the bottom parts are of the same material.

In the game, the bottom part of the robe are a different material, with different... well, yeah.

Here:
http://static.tumblr.com/df1ca61e09788684b77a7ef22c74085e/npouqur/Odyn9ue57/tumblr_static_9ue6zl1krosowg884gkcc04kg.png

Isn't this

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140124195616/assassinscreed/images/4/42/Ac4_Edward_Kenway_BF.png

The back is different, as well, but can't find a good comparison.

Ahh yes I see, the tails of the coat are dark blue with white trimming in the game version
I think the change is less drastic than those of Connor and Arno though

UniteUnderPower
12-04-2014, 09:53 AM
In between a 6 and a 7 on the hype train. My hype for an AC game hasn't been through the roof since AC3. I loved AC3, but I feel like my satisfaction from the games is much greater if I lower my hype level for them. I'm still really excited to play it, but what I'm more curious about is the game to follow Victory. I'm hoping they'll build an entirely new engine for that one and go to a much more uncharted setting that the games haven't touched on yet. I'd like to see Russia or Egypt in the next game.

spotgimer
12-04-2014, 10:14 AM
In between a 6 and a 7 on the hype train. My hype for an AC game hasn't been through the roof since AC3. I loved AC3, but I feel like my satisfaction from the games is much greater if I lower my hype level for them. I'm still really excited to play it, but what I'm more curious about is the game to follow Victory. I'm hoping they'll build an entirely new engine for that one and go to a much more uncharted setting that the games haven't touched on yet. I'd like to see Russia or Egypt in the next game.

ya not sure why Egypt wasn't given yet. I mean Egypt has firs Civ. written all over it! Why can't the settings be more creative???? 8 games and not one has featured the other 70% of the world! It's ridonkulous!! And why are all the settings now in the modern era? You don't need super tall buildings and spectacularly designed cities for an AC game to flourish.

The_Kiwi_
12-04-2014, 10:41 AM
ya not sure why Egypt wasn't given yet. I mean Egypt has firs Civ. written all over it! Why can't the settings be more creative???? 8 games and not one has featured the other 70% of the world! It's ridonkulous!! And why are all the settings now in the modern era? You don't need super tall buildings and spectacularly designed cities for an AC game to flourish.

Egypt is very desert-y and bland
It's basically just brown sand for everything, even the buildings
http://looklex.com/e.o/slides/dakhla_o02.jpg

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Really, you're on my side?!?!?

The_Kiwi_
12-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Really, you're on my side?!?!?

Who would have thought?!
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w643/alexlovessweden/omfg_zps23442d00.gif

rrebe
12-04-2014, 11:20 AM
It's too early to get too excited, but I'm happy it's London. I've always wanted to visit so I guess this is as good way as any.. :rolleyes:

m4r-k7
12-04-2014, 11:28 AM
I am very excited, but I am not going to choose any number. Its way too early to be hyped, I am actually annoyed it got leaked this early.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 01:56 PM
I am very excited, but I am not going to choose any number. Its way too early to be hyped, I am actually annoyed it got leaked this early.

No kidding. -__-

Unity's only like 3-4 weeks old too. :rolleyes:

But I have no rating either, wayyy too early to tell at this point.

ze_topazio
12-04-2014, 02:02 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Cairo-citadel-1800s.jpg

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/123878/cairo-6.jpg

http://islamic-arts.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cairo.jpg

OpticSpecs
12-04-2014, 02:12 PM
I wonder how many years this was in the making.

I've learnt it is best to think something will be bad because when it is released you won't be disappointed. and when it is good you can be pleasantly surprised.

VoXngola
12-04-2014, 03:33 PM
I wonder how many years this was in the making.

I've learnt it is best to think something will be bad because when it is released you won't be disappointed. and when it is good you can be pleasantly surprised.

Probably 2 to 3 years.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 03:46 PM
http://islamic-arts.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cairo.jpg

To be honest that looks a bit too similar to AC1. If they did it 1:1 scale it would be cool, but it might feel like retreading old ground, just like people are complaining that having several games in Europe feels too samey.

flyin-bart
12-04-2014, 04:20 PM
I want my vote cancelled!!!

I voted 1 as I mistakenly thought it was the highest..........before OP updated with explanation!!!

Chalk another 10 up please. :)

and one for Jack the assassin!!!!

Muzz1031
12-04-2014, 04:46 PM
I voted a 1 on the poll simply because I am still feeling the burn of Unity. I admit the idea of a "gas light" assassin is very interesting and sounds pretty fun to play. I can see it now stalking the street of London, trying to help Sir Conan Doyle with some mystery while prevent Jack the Ripper from killing more than he did. The biggest problem with Assassin's Creed's story lines is the history. The franchise relies on the haziness of records to set it story in. What I mean is the closer to more modern times the franchise gets, the better the records of history are kept. This is not to say there isnt some room to play out the Assassins/Templars story between the lines but there are things that can not be refuted. Not too mention the methods of assassination become more and more impersonal. Its kind of hard to have that moment after an assassination where the hero of the story gets the last confession from their target when they are on a rooftop hundreds of feet away. But the real reason I have such low hopes for Victory is because I have such little faith in Ubisoft to deliver something really worth getting worked up over. This will be the second product in a row I have purchased from them that has really let me down (Watch Dogs being the first). I will wait before I get all excited and wait even longer before I even think about buying it.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Jack the ripper better be an assassin.

If he's a sage or templar i'll be pissed.

Need more corrupt assassin baddies.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Don't get your hopes up for balanced Templar's and questionable Assassin's...

The target video showed an Assassination contract where you had to kill a human trafficker who's a Templar.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Don't get your hopes up for balanced Templar's and questionable Assassin's...

The target video showed an Assassination contract where you had to kill a human trafficker who's a Templar.

God damn it, Ubisoft.

Why does he have to be a templar?

Isn't human trafficking incentive enough?

And isn't human trafficking akin to slavery which templars are normally against?

HHNNNGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 05:10 PM

He better be hooded all the time with Dialogue like this:

Sam: "So...your name?"
Jack: "That...doesn't matter, Master Fey. Shall we be off? I have important matters later this evening."
Sam: "Matters?"
Jack: "Oh, they don't concern you. Just... acquaintances I have to meet."
Sam: "Understood. Lead the way."
Jack: "Gladly..."

Not the best dialogue, but you get my aim. ;)

D.I.D.
12-04-2014, 05:21 PM
God damn it, Ubisoft.

Why does he have to be a templar?

Isn't human trafficking incentive enough?

And isn't human trafficking akin to slavery which templars are normally against?

HHNNNGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Templars are responsible for most (all?) of the major slave trading that's ever happened, according to the past games' lore. They were also behind Hitler's genocide against the Jewish people, so it's a bit late to start walking that one back.

The whole point of the Templar thing is that individuals are disposable in the service of a greater cause, and that rights don't matter, fairness doesn't matter, and to them it's alright to rule with an iron fist as long as it breeds stability. That's an interesting position from a psychological point of view, which made the Templars a potent fictional enemy. Defanging them so they can be whatever the audience wants them to be is kind of dull, I think. It's like humanising Dracula and thinking you've made a better story, which has been done several times and it doesn't work.

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 05:51 PM
He better be hooded all the time with Dialogue like this:

Sam: "So...your name?"
Jack: "That...doesn't matter, Master Fey. Shall we be off? I have important matters later this evening."
Sam: "Matters?"
Jack: "Oh, they don't concern you. Just... acquaintances I have to meet."
Sam: "Understood. Lead the way."
Jack: "Gladly..."

Not the best dialogue, but you get my aim. ;)

Well,that'd be a bit weird.No one know Jack's face.Some people might be against creating a random face for him.I don't care either way,but still.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Jack the Ripper as the protagonist.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Well,that'd be a bit weird.No one know Jack's face.Some people might be against creating a random face for him.I don't care either way,but still.

Well he always could be an ally of the Assassins that went astray when he started killing innocents.

Sam meets him in a side mission, they accomplish their goal, and Sam can be like:

"It was a pleasure S-"

He turns around to see Jack has vanished and is never seen again.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Jack the Ripper as the protagonist.

I want this to happen but I doubt Ubisoft would risk complaints how the protagonist brutally butchered women.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I want this to happen but I doubt Ubisoft would risk complaints how the protagonist brutally butchered women.

Yes, not like that would merit complaints or concerns at all... :rolleyes:

TheHumanTowel
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Linking Jack the Ripper, a random serial killer, to the millenia old struggle of assassins and templars would be pretty stupid imo. It would just exacerbate the already ridiculous situation of every slightly famous historical figure being a part of these supposedly super-secret organisations

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Well he always could be an ally of the Assassins that went astray when he started killing innocents.

Sam meets him in a side mission, they accomplish their goal, and Sam can be like:

"It was a pleasure S-"

He turns around to see Jack has vanished and is never seen again.

So he's like Batman.I'm okay with that.
If Jack appears,I hope it's just a one-time deal.Like,they both want something,they help each other,and Jack Batman-vanishes.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 06:09 PM
So he's like Batman.I'm okay with that.
If Jack appears,I hope it's just a one-time deal.Like,they both want something,they help each other,and Jack Batman-vanishes.

Exactly...

GunnerGalactico
12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm not too hyped up at the moment, but on the plus side, I've always wanted the Victorian London setting :)

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm not too hyped up at the moment, but on the plus side, I've always wanted the Victorian London setting :)

Wait till that CGI Trailer drop... ;)

GunnerGalactico
12-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Wait till that CGI Trailer drop... ;)

Yes! Just imagine the camera angles panning around Tower Bridge, Big Ben or the other famous landmarks. That would be a sight to behold :D

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Yes! Just imagine the camera angles panning around Tower Bridge, Big Ben or the other famous landmarks. That would be a sight to behold :D

Imagine one with Snow?

*faints*

Xstantin
12-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Imagine one with Snow?

*faints*

Seeing snowy Boston in ACIII for the first time was awesome. On the other hand, I do hope we get some winter sequences just to make the game stand out a bit next year (The Order, Bloodborne and all that).

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Seeing snowy Boston in ACIII for the first time was awesome. On the other hand, I do hope we get some winter sequences just to make the game stand out a bit next year (The Order, Bloodborne and all that).

Agreed...

Soon there'll be a comparison thread between Victory & The Order.

Like how there was one earlier this year comparing Last of Us Remastered to Unity.

Ha, Victory & The Order.

"Victory to the Order." :rolleyes:

Xstantin
12-04-2014, 09:16 PM
The Order's guys are obviously Templars.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Speaking of Unity vs The Last of Us...

Unity beats TLoU in everything but character models, which is mightily impressive.

GunnerGalactico
12-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Imagine one with Snow?

*faints*

^ Completely agree. :)

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 09:23 PM
How was snowy Boston nice?

That's like saying an icy turd is beautiful.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 09:25 PM

It looked okay in the Frontier... ^^

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Ha.....oh you.
I actually loved the Frontier on winter.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Yes, I loved the Frontier. It's one of my favourite locations and I hope they one day return to a forest setting.

Boston and NY - AWFUL.

GunnerGalactico
12-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Snow adds that wintery touch and has the ability to make the most boring of cities look *trying to find the words* ahh yes! "appealing" and "inviting" ;)

Hans684
12-04-2014, 09:30 PM
The Order's guys are obviously Templars.

*Templar commercial voice*

Powered by Helix

Make history

An Abstergo Entertainment product

"Welcome to London in an Alternate Reality where the Assassins never existed."

"One where there is an age old battle against the Lycans, a failed First Civ experiment turned bad and made humans monsters"

"Fight for humanities survival or die"

"Uphold the principals of the Templar Order and promise to never share it's secrets and do so until death, whatever the cost"

"Welcome to The Order: 1886"

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 09:34 PM
*Templar commercial voice*

Powered by Helix

Make history

An Abstergo Entertainment product

"Welcome to London in an Alternate Reality where the Assassins never existed."

"One where there is an age old battle against the Lycans, a failed First Civ experiment turned bad and made humans monsters"

"Fight for humanities survival or die"

"Uphold the principals of the Templar Order and promise to never share it's secrets and do so until death, whatever the cost"

"Welcome to The Order: 1886"

I could see that... :rolleyes:

Boston and NY - AWFUL.

That's because they looked so damn alike...

Now imagine this:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/loaloauk/london1.jpg

xboxauditore
12-04-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm all for the setting, after all, yesterday i was just thinking about how they need to move out of America.

But with every AC, especially after Unity, i approach each game with cautious optimism.

But a more modern AC has always had a certain allure to me. 19th century London sounds like it can be amazing, but it's up to the team to make it that way.

Xstantin
12-04-2014, 10:46 PM

Dunno, it felt like something new back then. Then again I actually like Boston and NY.

TheHumanTowel
12-04-2014, 10:48 PM
It rarely ever snows in London. If they do seasons I hope they don't show London blanketed in snow everytime it's winter. I'd like to think they're still at least slightly more interested in portraying history than appealing to cliches.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 10:50 PM
It rarely ever snows in London. If they do seasons I hope they don't show London blanketed in snow everytime it's winter. I'd like to think they're still at least slightly more interested in portraying history than appealing to cliches.

How is having weather a cliche? :rolleyes:

TheHumanTowel
12-04-2014, 10:59 PM
How is having weather a cliche? :rolleyes:
Because the image of Victorian London covered in snow at Christmas is a massive cliche and has little grounding in reality. A Christmas Carol basically created that image.

xboxauditore
12-04-2014, 11:02 PM
If they want real English weather, I hope they make rain look good.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Because the image of Victorian London covered in snow at Christmas is a massive cliche and has little grounding in reality. A Christmas Carol basically created that image.

Assassin's Creed and clichés? Why I never!

Xstantin
12-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Assassin's Creed and clichés? Why I never!

That actually reminds me that I don't wanna hear that working class accent after Unity. But it's gonna be there just like "bloody something" every five minutes.

xboxauditore
12-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Oh bloody hell! These miscreants are going to cliche us as overly upper-class! OH! *faints*

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 11:17 PM

Oh, well I wasn't talking about the Christmas thing...

I just want snow in general.

If they want real English weather, I hope they make rain look good.

Agreed. :)

Pr0metheus 1962
12-04-2014, 11:25 PM

Remember, the climate in the 1800s was a bit different than it is today. Winters tended to be colder and snowier (it's at the end of the "Little Ice Age").

From The history of British winters: (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-history;sess=)

1875-76: Amazingly snowy winter for the UK, especially the South East early on, the first week of December dumped 1-2ft in some places, worst in the South East. March of this month had many snowstorms, and April recorded nearly 2ft of snow in the Midlands! Snowfall was recorded (on a notable scale), in November, December, January, February, March, April, and May! I would regard this winter as very snowy.

1878-79: Another snowy one! In the north, snow cover remained for 3 months! Snow recorded in November, December, January, February, March and April! Very snowy

1880-81: Now I didn't add this one for the huge volume of snow it recorded (it didn't, although it was still snowy!) I added this, because of the early snowfall! 6 inches of snow fell in October in London! In January, 3ft of level snow fell from East Devon to the Isle of Wight! There were 10ft drifts in Evesham, and Dartmoor recorded 4ft. Very Snowy

Interestingly, 1881-82 wasn't snowy at all!

1885-1886: Snow fell in October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May! London recorded 1ft of snow in7 hours in early January. In the North a blizzard dumped 2ft of snow widely, and in May the North of England got a heavy fall. Very Snowy

1878-80: 2ft of Snow fell in Oxford in October! A ferocious blizzard raged in the North East in March. 10th June saw snow in Scotland, of 6 inches! 11th July reportedly saw snow in the South and East, Keswick saw snow above 1000ft.

From 1895-99 the UK had 4 consecutive years of little/average snowfall, of which the only noteworthy fall was of 1ft in the Eastern spine of the country. 1899-00 saw general snow of 1ft, 2ft in places. The following year wasn't exceptional either, although 5-7ft of snow was recorded in North Wales and Northern England. Both years were snowy.

TheHumanTowel
12-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Remember, the climate in the 1800s was a bit different than it is today. Winters tended to be colder and snowier (it's at the end of the "Little Ice Age").

From The history of British winters: (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-history;sess=)
I've no problem with them having snow. It would look very nice. But I'd rather they not portray it as being something that happens every winter in London just to play up to stereotypes. This setting is just so rife with cliches I'd hope they'd avoid. I want to feel like I'm a citizen in actual victorian London and not a character in a Sherlock Holmes miniseries.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-04-2014, 11:51 PM
I want to feel like I'm a citizen in actual victorian London and not a character in a Sherlock Holmes miniseries.

Yeah, but this is Assassin's Creed. If Unity showed us anything, it's that they don't give a damn about history anymore. Likely the only thing stopping Ubisoft actually putting Sherlock Holmes into the game is copyright issues. I've no doubt they'll have a Sherlock Holmes character, although like the Crimson Rose (Scarlet Pimpernel) they'll probably rename him Sharlick Volmes or something. I think we'll be lucky if we avoid Dracula making an appearance, and I'm damned sure they'll include Jack the Ripper - that's way too juicy for them to leave out, so I can guarantee the game's gonna mainly be set in September to November 1888, maybe extending out to 1891, when the last murder some associate with the Ripper happened.

But honestly, I doubt they'll even have seasons. And snow? I doubt it. They'll probably set the game in a dreary wet November. What we should be worried about is not snow, but the general idea that in England it's always raining.

I do look forward to some pea-souper London fogs though - they actually were real (due to all the soot in the atmosphere in the days before smokeless fuels). Then again, I doubt Ubisoft is going to do any research, so they won't even know about them.

D.I.D.
12-04-2014, 11:55 PM
I've no problem with them having snow. It would look very nice. But I'd rather they not portray it as being something that happens every winter in London just to play up to stereotypes. This setting is just so rife with cliches I'd hope they'd avoid. I want to feel like I'm a citizen in actual victorian London and not a character in a Sherlock Holmes miniseries.

It's not a complete myth though. Snow was much more common, and it was a colder climate. For hundreds of years, the Thames would freeze over with a layer so solid that thousands of Londoners would gather on the ice and hold "Frost Fairs":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs

"When an elephant walked on the Thames" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25862141)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/72554000/jpg/_72554533_lukeclennelldetail.jpg

The last one was in 1814, but the weather took a long time to shift from the consistently cold winter climate to the mild one today. I agree that we don't need a chocolate box version of a Victorian Christmas, and generally speaking rain is a more common feature of a southern English winter than snow, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it at all. If there's a snowy winter on record during their chosen timespan, I'd love to see that.

[ETA] The building of the replacement London Bridge in 1825 changed the speed of the flow of the Thames forever, which prevented any further freezes.

Do you live in London? If so I find it hard to believe you can't remember any snowy winters even in today's warmer climate. They might be a surprise when we get them, but they're not unheard of.

TheHumanTowel
12-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah, but this is Assassin's Creed. If Unity showed us anything, it's that they don't give a damn about history anymore. Likely the only thing stopping Ubisoft actually putting Sherlock Holmes into the game is copyright issues. I've no doubt they'll have a Sherlock Holmes character, although like the Crimson Rose (Scarlet Pimpernel) they'll probably rename him Sharlick Volmes or something.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of and sadly I think you're right.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-05-2014, 12:11 AM
That's exactly what I'm afraid of and sadly I think you're right.

I'm sure I know the story they're going with. It's the Ripper murders. The murder mystery side quests in Unity were there to test out the concept for the main event, which will be our protagonist in Victory investigating the murders of jack the Ripper in Whitechapel in 1888. I guarantee it.

And what it means is Templars are going to be stereotypical bad guys again, stirring up trouble for the sake of it, just like in Unity. I'm afraid Ubisoft's writers are all out of innovative ideas, so they're going with whatever is cheap and obvious so that Ubisoft can make a quick buck.

I foresee Assassin's Creed drowning in mediocrity, because no one at the company is willing to take a risk on anything new and unusual. AC has grown into such a cash cow that they dare not innovate. This has been the case since Revelations kinda tanked - they have only made safe choices in terms of setting since then. It worked in Black Flag because let's face it, everyone loves pirates. But the settings have been safe bets, and mostly the games are the worse for it, mostly.*

* Homage to Aliens (no reason) :)

Dev_Anj
12-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Likely the only thing stopping Ubisoft actually putting Sherlock Holmes into the game is copyright issues.

But Sherlock Holmes is public domain. Only the versions of Sherlock Holmes created by some Hollywood directors, producers and used in some TV shows, games and re constructions of the stories are under copyright.

Jflow_79
12-05-2014, 01:35 AM
Gave it a 3...with the 3rd installment of the game...(AC3 Connor)...I started loosing my interest...AC3 is the only one I didn't finish because the story was so weak.

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 01:38 AM
Gave it a 3...with the 3rd installment of the game...(AC3 Connor)...I started loosing my interest...AC3 is the only one I didn't finish because the story was so weak.

And I'm guessing your favorite is AC2/ACB? :rolleyes:

Megas_Doux
12-05-2014, 02:25 AM
This selfish, larger than life attitude that I have always seen here -this is not the first incarnation of myself- of: "I dont care whether there are cliches or not as long the atmosphere/accents feel similar to the way I believe those are or just nice at all. With the exception of mine ones of course, those have to be perfect".

That Winter/christmas thing cannot be more cliche that fake as hell accents similar to a sketch from Family guy. Pretty generalized stereotypes like the "suave" womanizer protagonist that does not care about anything, loud mouthed characters that yeal and curse 50% of their lines and even one of them that does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJcPc6OQ384

I was not offended by any of those things for I understand this is video game, not real life. However those double standards REALLY bother me, though.

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2014, 04:28 AM
"Ubisoft doesn't give a damn about history anymore".

Seriously, go to hell.

All the accent crap aside, the amount of detail put into this game is RIDICULOUS.From things as big as the detail of every major location, to the meticulous placement of revolutionary quotes and sayings scribbled on alleyway walls. Every Paris story has a real historical figure, every co op mission based on true events. AC Unity has been hailed by damned history professors and used in presentations.

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 04:33 AM
AC Unity has been hailed by damned history professors and used in presentations.

I remember there was a professor on this forum who plans to use Assassin's Creed Unity for his class. What an awesome guy.

MakimotoJin
12-05-2014, 04:53 AM

Seriously, go to hell.

All the accent crap aside, the amount of detail put into this game is RIDICULOUS.From things as big as the detail of every major location, to the meticulous placement of revolutionary quotes and sayings scribbled on alleyway walls. Every Paris story has a real historical figure, every co op mission based on true events. AC Unity has been hailed by damned history professors and used in presentations.

I've heard Unity has got Rockstar's level of detail.That's a lot.

D.I.D.
12-05-2014, 05:38 AM

Seriously, go to hell.

I was pleasantly surprised by the accent thing, because it actually serves a purpose. It must be a harder game for French players because of all voices being French, and I guess Victory will be similarly tricky for the English speakers. It's great the way a person is only not speaking French for as long as you need to be able to understand them, for example, an NPC who has just been robbed. You hear her cry out, wheel around, and chase down the thief. If you're still close to the NPC and the chase is short, you'll hear her revert back to French. The same with the threats of your enemies; they stand out because they're a different language to the background speech. It's a really smart way to highlight important people without drawing a glow around them, or artificially steering the camera to force the player to look at them.

The historical detail is superb too. I can see both sides on this - there's a lot to love in that attention to detail, but a large amount of that is the domain of the art team. What they did in recreating that world is astonishing. If professors are using Unity as a classroom tool then it'll have great value for conveying atmosphere but those professors would also have to spend a lot of time highlighting corrections to the students. I think there are legitimate concerns to be raised about accuracy in other areas, and certainly a few opportunities were missed, although I think it's far more important to embed the main character in his/her world. Both Unity and Arno could have benefited from a different approach with his writing to make him feel something about Paris and the revolution and what it meant to him, to make it seem less like he was passing through.

spotgimer
12-05-2014, 06:04 AM
If people dont like the accents then just play the game in frech. Is reading the subtitle such a hamper?

The_Kiwi_
12-05-2014, 06:06 AM
If people dont like the accents then just play the game in frech. Is reading the subtitle such a hamper?

Then there are lip sync issues

spotgimer
12-05-2014, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=The_Kiwi_;10410527]Then there are lip sync issues[/QUOTE

Seriously? I didnt know you played the game looking at the characters mouths. lol

souNdwAve89
12-05-2014, 06:26 AM
At the moment, it's too early. I need to see actual footage/gameplay before feeling some sort of way. I do like the time period, but I was hoping the next game after Unity would be somewhere in the east or some ancient time period.

spotgimer
12-05-2014, 06:29 AM
At the moment, it's too early. I need to see actual footage/gameplay before feeling some sort of way. I do like the time period, but I was hoping the next game after Unity would be somewhere in the east or some ancient time period.

This time period was expected. What I am excited about is where the setting after Victory will be? If it's Napoleonic wars in europe then I am just going to assume that Ubisoft doesn't give a rats colon about the rest of history and the world.

The_Kiwi_
12-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Seriously? I didnt know you played the game looking at the characters mouths. lol

You mustn't pay enough attention to the game if you don't watch their faces when they talk

spotgimer
12-05-2014, 06:35 AM
You mustn't pay enough attention to the game if you don't watch their faces when they talk

I look at their faces. I just don't stare at their mouths and say to myself, "oh wow the words dont fit exactly with the movement of their lips. This is way worse than mediocre voice acting!!"

wvstolzing
12-05-2014, 07:04 AM
I've heard Unity has got Rockstar's level of detail.That's a lot.

That should be 'Rocksteady', not R*; I think the former set a higher benchmark for detailed environments.

killzab
12-05-2014, 10:21 AM

Seriously, go to hell.

Being French myself, I can tell you the way the revolution is depicted is controversial and not widely accepted in France ...

GoldenBoy9999
12-05-2014, 01:49 PM
This time period was expected. What I am excited about is where the setting after Victory will be? If it's Napoleonic wars in europe then I am just going to assume that Ubisoft doesn't give a rats colon about the rest of history and the world.

Of course they do. If the next game is modern, like I hope it is, then they'll go back to some ancient time period after that. I don't think enough games have captured what it's like to live in a time from 1880's to 1920's. With maybe the exception of something like L.A. Noire. I'd much rather have it be an AC game. That's why I'm excited. It's still a time period and setting.

The_Kiwi_
12-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Of course they do. If the next game is modern, like I hope it is, then they'll go back to some ancient time period after that. I don't think enough games have captured what it's like to live in a time from 1880's to 1920's. With maybe the exception of something like L.A. Noire. I'd much rather have it be an AC game. That's why I'm excited. It's still a time period and setting.

LA Noire is 1940s I believe
I want ancient AC, 1000 years ago or more
But I do like Victorian London
I absolutely adore the tuxedos men wore in that time
I would love something like it

VestigialLlama4
12-05-2014, 04:02 PM

Seriously, go to hell.

The professor(just one guy) who plans to use it in presentations is Laurent Turcot, who served as an adviser for the game. In any case, his attitude towards the game is the recreation of Paris (he admits that the game's portrayal of historical figures is biased) and the background, to him its like 18th Century Google Street View and that's how he's teaching it, since his specialty is daily life in Paris and not Revolutionary history as a whole. Nothing more. The other guy who served as advisor for the game is Jean-Clement Martin, an authority on counter-revolution, revolutionary violence and a member of the Society of Robespierre Studies. He looked over the script and said it was royalist but basically admits that people shouldn't bother too much about it since to him its a fantasy.

In any case both of them said this that they had no say on the screenplay or the later drafts and I don't know if either of them have played or seen the game after the release, because the end product is inaccurate to a level not seen in the earlier AC titles. I mean in some cases its incompetent...like going out of the way to lie for no reason at all. This thread tackled the inaccuracies and the all the responses to it. I am reposting it here, with spoiler drop-boxes for conveniences. Basically the Single Player, the Side missions and the Brotherhood Missions are all inaccurate and packed with lies
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/954025-ACU-History-A-list-of-demonstrable-lies-and-inaccuracies-SPOILERS

Single Player Campaign

SEQUENCE 1 - SEQUENCE 8(MEMORY 1) (19 MEMORIES)
I am going to give credit to Ubisoft, these sequences are fair. The Estates-General and the Storming of Bastille happen more or less the same way they do in history. Mirabeau's truce with de la Serre has the spirit of initial unity that fit the Revolution. So far the metaphor is not implausible. The only inaccuracy is that there is no way that Arno will be sent to Bastille for being accused of Murder. Bastille was a prison for debtors, political and moral criminals and general imbeciles. For the crime of murder, especially of an aristocrat at Versailles, Arno would be sent to a tougher prison but I am going to let this pass since its too iconic a moment for Arno to miss out on. Now the producers have stated that they are avoiding the historical element of the series by not making Arno front and center of the Revolution, so until say, the mission where Arno invades the Tuileries and meets Napoleon, I will say that the game is fair and not offensive. Then it eventually goes off the rails.

SEQUENCE 8(MEMORY 2) - THE SEPTEMBER MASSACRES(1 Memory)
Where it goes off the rails is the September Massacres, a mission where your target sadistically sings La Marseillaise in Alex DeLarge fashion by submitting the prison warden to ultra-violence.

The Elephant in the Living Room is something that goes unmentioned in the entire single player campaign, the central event of the French Revolution, is the 1792 Declaration of War.

In history, when the Constitutional Monarchy was on its last ebb, a faction of the Republicans known to history as the Girondins(not their name at the time) decided to declare a pre-emptive war to "Spread the Revolution". This war was supported by the King and Queen because they felt that it would divert and diffuse the revolutionary tensions. The people who opposed this war...those crazy extremists Marat and Robespierre who felt that democracies had no right to go to other nations and impose freedom at the end of a gun. That's right the moderates believed in war to distract people from reforms and break deadlock, the extremists were anti-war because they thought it could lead to military dictatorship and set reforms back even more than the Old Regime. The Queen of France, Saint Marie Antoinette personally gave information of French military preparations to the the Austrians in the hope of sabotaging the French war effort. And sure enough, France after some initial victories started losing. This led to the September Massacres where people of Paris, in panic decided to invade prisons and murder political prisoners and in the end, they killed common criminals, prostitutes and priests along with political prisoners. In the game, this is shown as a Templar tactic of intimidation because, Templars, amirite?

SOURCES: There are several books which cover this, but I am using these two short links, since they are by respected academics and its concise:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wsfh/0642292.0034.006/--uses-of-power-lafayette-and-brissot-in-1792?rgn=main;view=fulltext
SYLVIA NEELY:
- "Once proclaimed in the spring of 1792, war dominated Europe for almost twenty-five years. The development of the Terror is inconceivable without the background of war and the paranoia that came with it."
- "In the twentieth century, imbued with the pacifist strain of the left wing in France, many historians seemed somewhat embarrassed to find that the heroic people of revolutionary myth had been so bellicose. They focused on Robespierre, who opposed the war because he feared putting too much power in the hands of the aristocrats, and they came to believe that the Mountain joined him in opposing the war, which could then be blamed exclusively on the Girondins. Revolutionaries at the time, however, sided with Brissot, not Robespierre. At the trial of the Girondins in 1793, Brissot was accused of fomenting war against England in 1793 when the country was not sufficiently prepared."
DAVID AVROM BELL - This is a review of a recent book that is anti-Revolutionary but corrects the same facts. Here he describes the September Massacres:
- "Upon the news that the Prussian army had broken through French lines and was marching on Paris, crowds of sans-culottesstormed the prisons and killed at least 1,200 alleged counterrevolutionaries."

SEQUENCE 9(MEMORY 1 and 2)(2 Memories)
This mission tells us that the evil psychopathic Templars artifically created the entire food crisis and famine that drove the popular movement outside and inside Paris. Basically the royal family were unfairly targeted by those evil Jacobin Templars and their merchants and poor widdle Louis XVI was absolutely blameless. The food crisis and its relation to war naturally goes unmentioned.
SOURCE
For this I will cite a wikipedia article since its well sourced in these instances. In any case the idea of a single group creating a faction is such an absurdity that it has never been posed to be outright disproven in detail.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacte_de_Famine This one talks about how conspiracies about witholding grain were common in pre-Revolution times and how they were usually wrong but used as a political tool.
-Another article mentions another cause - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fear#Causes_and_course_of_the_revolts
"The rural unrest can be traced back to the spring of 1788, when a drought threatened the prospect of the coming harvest. Harvests had in fact been bad ever since the massive 1783 Laki volcanic eruption on Iceland. Storms and floods also destroyed much of the harvest during the summer, leading to a fall in seigneurial dues and defaults on leases."
- So in other words, no one person could have been responsible for such widescale famine.

SEQUENCE 10 (2 Memories)
The biggest lie is the execution of the King, which they said comes down to one vote 361-360, with a Templar puppet casting the key vote. The King's execution enjoyed a majority of 394 for Death to 321 for imprisonment. Of the 394, 34 wanted Death with Delaying Conditions, 360 wanted immediate summary execution. The King was extraordinarily guilty by any stretch of the definition thanks to another incidient not mentioned in the game, called the Flight to Varennes, when the King and Queen went to Austria where a foreign army was ready for the King to command to invade France. In the game, the Templars kill the King because the Bad Guy had this speech that the writers thought was cool and evil, but is a poorly written Bond Speech instead, missing only the Evil Laugh. In the game, Hero Assassin kills LePeletier. In real-life he was murdered by a royalist fanatic who wanted to uphold feudal monarchy, so make of that what you will.
SOURCES:
DAVID P. JORDAN's Book The King's Trial is there on Full View in Google Books. This Link takes you to the Appendix that deals with the issues of vote-count and whatnot, it uses archive research and discusses earlier attempts to make it a shorter queue. It is usually considered the best book on the Trial in English and written by a respected historian.
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=0sigPXBq4IEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22David+P.+Jordan%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=l-Z6VNeDJMmGuASysoHwBg&ved=0CCUQuwUwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

SEQUENCE 11 - SEQUENCE 12(Memory2) (4 Memories)
I will say, that Robespierre in the Single Player campaign doesn't come off too badly, aside from being a Templar. The Brotherhood missions are a different thing which I will deal with later. But in the single player, Robespierre is this meek pedantic dude who seems a little weird with his Festival of a Supreme Being and while that is not flattering, it isn't unfair either. It's certainly a legitimate area of criticism to put him under. The real falsehood is the Mission "The Fall of Robespierre" where Arno finds out that the Paris Commune freed Robespierre by murdering a bunch of guards and they defend their leader with violence. There was no violence at all that day on Robespierre's part or his faction and Robespierre refused until the end to raise calls for the Paris Commune to attack the National Guard.
SOURCES: This link by Author Marisa Linton(a respected academic at Kingston university, author of CHOOSING TERROR) conveys it well:
http://www.port.ac.uk/special/france1815to2003/chapter1/interviews/filetodownload,20545,en.pdf
"The Terror began to wind down after Thermidor – though not immediately; the greatest days of carnage on the guillotine were the 10 and 11 Thermidor, as supporters of Robespierre, within the Convention, the Revolutionary Tribunal and the Paris Commune,were despatched before enthusiastic crowds. The deputies who had conspired to bring about Thermidor were themselves active Jacobins, including members of the ruling Committees, together with several men such as Fouché and Tallien, who had aroused suspicion from Robespierre for the excessive zeal with which they had employed terrorist methods while they had been on mission."

SEQUENCE 12 - THE TEMPLE(1 Memory)
Evil Boring Templar gives this speech about how the Revolution was masterminded by him to destroy the old order, who they framed, backstabbed and executed. The Revolution's violence did not come out of circumstances and difficult moral conundrums but out of an evil plot to show people that Revolutions will always be violent. Basically, the Assassins are on the side of the Constitutional Monarchy that came out of the Tennis Court Oath, that is "a peaceful" revolution, while the Templars represent the Violent Revolution of Bastille, Tuileries and the Terror. In other words, the Templars are shown to side with the people and the people are made to look like idiots(By the way almost every adult Parisian Male across class lines was literate at the time of the French Revolution). Poor King Louis was killed because he was framed not because he conspired with foreign powers to invade France. Basically it says that the people really didn't hate the King or have a reason to hate the good king Louis and his wife but were made to do so by a pack of evil middle-class people and envious scumbags that comprise the Templars. All I will say that this latter interpretation derives from a real-life book called ''Histoire des Jacobins'' by Abbe Barruel which was the first book that stated that conspiracy theories inspired the French Revolution.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoirs_Illustrating_the_History_of_Jacobinism#Con tribution_and_legacy

The French Revolution was a complex event several years in the making, the idea that it was done by a few people in a dark room because one guy believed he was the reincarnation of Jacques de Molay and wanted revenge is...well...let's just say I miss Rodrigo and his Staff of Eden, that was way more subtle and believable.

I don't want to add any sources for this, but I will quote David A. Bell, author of The First Total War in the same Book Review I excerpted above:
"But history does not have the neatness, or the moral clarity, of conspiracy fiction. There was no Great Copt plotting out the events of the French Revolution and driving it forward."

Brotherhood Missions

The game's brotherhood co-op missions are supposed to represent real events which the developers couldn't work in the single player so they made it for co-op. So let's run through them.

Among these Missions, there are five that I would call Fair. By fair I mean even if there is artistic license and inaccuracies, I don't think its something worth getting worked up over, since the spirit and content is broadly correct.

1) Women's March - It overemphasizes Theorigne de Mericourt's role but since she is a historical badass and is obscure, I am going to pardon it and the mission as such is harmless.

2) The Food Chain - Another Theroigne One. Not historical, more fictional, again the usual Templar conspiracy motif, so I am going to pardon this.

3) The Austrian Conspiracy - Now this mission sort of touches on the war. So I will give it credit, the fact that the war is dialed down and reduced to the side is itself a grotesque simplification but I am not going to get into that. It does get into some of the paranoid atmosphere that happened at the time, where people were worried about royalist conspirators everywhere. Now whether Danton could actually wield a sword and fight, anyway I'll let it pass. One major mis-step. This mission takes place in September 1792 at the same time the September Massacres happen in history and the main game. Danton was Ministry of Justice at this time and pretty much looked the other way when the Massacres happened and convinced everyone to agreee with it. The point is this mission is lacking in proper context and Danton is presented as a simplistic good guy.

4) The Tournament - A nice fun harmless mission dedicated to the coolness of Thomas-Alexandre Dumas. Not really about history, since it revolves around a fictional General Marcourt who looks and sounds like Errol Flynn.

5) Infernal Machine - Another harmless mission about bodyguarding Napoleon. Nothing controversial or especially wrong. Except Napoleon should have a hair cut, and be wearing a Red Coat since he was First Consul/Dictator of France.

The remaining Six missions though are a pack of lies.

6) Political Persecution - Now the Lying Begins. The Girondins are brought down because they disagreed with the Evil Robespierre and Danton is shown as a bleeding heart liberal who doesn't want Robespierre to launch Terror. In actual fact, it was Danton who justified the Terror, "Let us be terrible so that the people who don't have to be", he was the one who put in place the Revolutionary Tribunals and he sat on the Committee of Public Safety for two full months before Robespierre got elected. Danton fully supported the fall of the Girondins and didn't go out of his way to save any of them.The man who did continually argue that 75 deputies be spared and not be persecuted, who did it time and again right through the Terror, that guy was Robespierre. As for the Girondins, those guys it has to be said, plunged Europe into a 20 Year War for shady reasons of furthering their business interests and political cache. They also proved incompetent at winning the war and France was close to being invaded by the time the People rose against them and brought the Jacobins to power.
SOURCES:
http://socialistreview.org.uk/339/danton
"Before his fall from political grace Danton cleared the way for the reign of terror that reached its height in the summer of 1794. It was Danton who made the Committee of Public Safety the executive body of government in the summer of 1793. It was Danton who created the infamous revolutionary tribunal ("Let us be terrible to prevent the people from being terrible!")."[/url]

7) Danton's Sacrifice - This famous incident, the source of Danton's good name gets even more biased to make Danton look good and Robespierre as a sadist but aside from that it has the right details. Danton was executed for political reasons at a show trial and it was a catastrophic moment for the Revolution. He is still sympathetic even if he was, as is widely proven, corrupt, deeply involved in bribes and stock market fraud. There's no need to make him a saint or martyr. What he was is a victim, of the very Terror and Tribunals that he had himself installed.
SOURCES:

Book Review - by Miguel Faria of David Lawday's ''DANTON: Giant of the French Revolution"
http://www.haciendapub.com/articles/georges-danton-%E2%80%94-fallen-titan-french-revolution
"But returning to the book at hand, in Lawday makes a fairly good case for absolving Danton of having connived in the Duke of Brunswick bribe affair just prior to the Battle of Valmy (1792); but does not do as well in exculpating him from involvement in the horrible September Massacres."
"Lawday also exculpates Danton for his incitation to violence and repeated calls for death to the "enemies of the Revolution" as flowery language. How were the people, the fickle Parisian mobs and the violent sans culottes, always thirsting for savage revenge, to know that Danton's incitations were "parliamentary theater" and only "figures of speech"?
This is from a Film Review, a rather long article:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Xpamx6RNTr4J:digitalhistory.concord ia.ca/courses/hist306f07/files/darnton.pdf+new+york+darnton+double-entendre&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=safari
" Most French historians today probably would concede that Danton's finances do not stand up to close scrutiny. In 1789 he was a not especially successful lawyer loaded down with at least 43,000 livres in debts. In 1791 he paid off his creditors andbought an estate worth 80,000 livres without an ostensible improvement in his practiceor the acquisition of another legitimate source of income. He probably took moneyfrom the court. But a politician may fatten his purse without betraying his country, andDanton certainly led the resistance to the invading armies after the overthrow of themonarchy on August 10, 1792."

8) Heads Will Roll - This mission is fictional but again we have a demonical, evil, Robespierre who sells out his own spy when the guy digs up dirt that Robespierre was a Templar. This needless to say never happened since Templars don't exist. The only purpose it serves is to make Robespierre be a scumbag hypocrite.

9) Les Enrages - Now the Enrages were a bunch of extremists yes. They did advocate for seizure of private property, radical redistribution and were proto-anarchists. What they weren't are psychopaths, Jacques Roux didn't run around plucking heads off necks with his bare hands. He didn't strangulate people with chains either. So another ghoul show and falsification that serves to demonize the popular movement.

10) Moving Mirabeau - Another bit of falsehood. The evil Robespierre now removes the Saintly Mirabeau's remains from the Pantheon. This happened months after Robespierre died. Robespierre didn't order it. Now on learning fo Mirabeau's corruption, which the Girondins had revealed not him, Robespierre did call for him to be removed from the Pantheon and ordered statues of him broken in the Jacobin Club. But he never bothered about Mirabeau after that, simply because work on a War Cabinet was far more important than settling petty scores.

11) The Jacobin Raid - Crypto-Nazi Jacobins are tunneling to Argentina/Corsica but the people are led by Theroigne to bring them down. The Jacobins are shown to torture Theroigne by whipping her in a montage. In actual fact, Theroigne was attacked and beaten by Revolutionary women and the person who saved her was none other than crazy psycho Marat. The Jacobins are all shown as Robespierre lackeys when many of them joined in attacking him on the day of his fall. By the way, this action takes place the day after Robespierre's execution. In actual history, the day after Robespierre's execution, 77 of his supporters were executed without trial, the largest mass guillotine of the entire Terror.
SOURCES:
For Marat rescuing Theroigne
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=SLfHu0A6v1oC&pg=PA95&dq=Theroigne+de+mericourt+Marat&hl=en&sa=X&ei=A-t6VPCFCJPjuQS1ioGQDg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Theroigne%20de%20mericourt%20Marat&f=false
Another link, behind a pay wall, but its written by author Hilary Mantel:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v14/n10/hilary-mantel/rescued-by-marat

PARIS SIDE STORIES
Now my main problem with the SIDE MISSIONS is just that a lot of the time, its very shoddy work. I mean there are basic errors in facts, the kind of errors that undergraduate students would be embarassed about. So some of these missions are offensive only for its incompetence.

1) American Prisoner (DLC MISSION) - Now this one isn't inaccurate or malicious, but it is INCOMPETENT.The gist is that Thomas Paine is under house arrest in this prison and the warden has his book ''The Rights of Man'' which he was working on. A single look at wikipedia can tell you that the reason Thomas Paine was ''invited'' to France was because of THE RIGHTS OF MAN, a book which defended the French Revolution against English conservative Edmund Burke. The book Paine was working on while imprisoned during the Terror is THE AGE OF REASON, a book that is critical of Christianity(albeit froma Deist/Theist perspective). Why this basic fact is neglected I don't know. And by the way the guy who conspired to get Paine imprisoned was the American Ambassador in France at the time, Gouvernor Morris.

2) A Romantic Stroll - Arno being an Assassin and oblivious lackey/b-tch of Napoleon that he is, serves as secret service on Napoleon's romantic date with Josephine. This is a kind of cute mission overall. Except for one thing. Josephine calls herself a divorcee. This is ridiculous for many reasons, namely the fact that Josephine's husband was guillotined during the Terror(while Josephine herself was imprisoned). The man who signed that execution order was none other than Jacques-Louis David, great painter, future friend and collaborator of Napoleon(who quite obviously was grateful for the assist). I don't know why they said divorcee when she could have said, "My husband's dead" and "I don't want to talk about it" or they could simply not mention it at all since it is a side story. Why go out of the way to lie?
SOURCES
http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/napoleon/art-and-design/jacques-louis-david

3) Chemical Revolution (DLC Mission) - Jean-Paul Marat is not just a journalist but some kind of mob-boss who sent thugs to attack the great Lavoisier because he's jealous of him. This incident never happened. Marat was dead in early 1793 and played no role at all in the persecution and death of Lavoisier, but invoking his name kind of attaches him to slander. Marat played a major role in the ousting of the Girondins (who lavoisier was close to) but that clash was non-violent and the Girondin leaders were sent to the guillotine while Robespierre rescued 75 deputies from joining their ranks against the wishes of more bloodthirsty advocates.

4)) Coat-Of-Arms - My favorite piece of bilge unearthed in UNITY yet. One of the actual honest-to-God badasses in the French Revolution is Louis Antoine de Saint-Just. This guy was gorgeous. He was also a Robespierre loyalist and made his mentor look cuddly by comparison. He was also brilliant, he co-wrote the 1793 Constitution, super-competent and a great military organizer. And he was 26 years old when he did that. What he wasn't is a psychopath. This story is based on an "anecdote" published in a work of fiction issued in 1820 that Saint-Just once tried to seduce a woman and when she turned him down, Saint-Just had her killed and then skinned her and made her human hide into breeches for him to wear. Because everyone likes Game of Thrones and why not make Saint-Just into Ramsay Bolton, even if the only source is a lie that even right-wing historians never take seriously.

5) Up-In-Arms - Another piece of vile slander. Apparently the Commitee of Public Safety under Robespierre and Saint-Just are working to sabotage Napoleon's career by spiking his cannons so that it will blow up. This one is absurd. The Commitee of Public Safety gave Napoleon his first big promotion via Robespierre's little brother who served as their representative in Toulon. Napoleon wasn't in Paris during the Terror and the only time he came to their notice was in Robespierre's last days when his brother gave him a letter formulating a military plan of his to him. Napoleon was a lifelong defender of the Terror, apologist for Robespierre right unto Saint Helena and in private told anyone and everyone that the Committee of Public Safety was the only real government of the Revoluton. In the game, Napoleon is this cool guy who complains about the bloodshed of the Revolution.
SOURCES
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=SkWIK1nyPR4C&pg=PA202&lpg=PA202&dq=Napoleon+Montholon+%22Robespierre+hated+bloodsh ed%22&source=bl&ots=C_1VpmmwVR&sig=3oJLLdQtgZPrZNaPiGrwKJLJyBY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wO56VMOhH4iQuATfp4KQBQ&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Napoleon%20Montholon%20%22Robespierre%20hated%20 bloodshed%22&f=false
"Do you believe the men who led France in 1793 chose the Terror for pleasure? Absolutely not. Robespierre hated bloodshed as much as I. He was restrained by events and, I repeat, by conviction. He did it out of humanity, to stop the massacres, to control the resentments of the people. He created the revolutionary tribunals as a surgeon saves lives by amputating limbs."
-- NAPOLEON

6) Flying Boy - The famous physicist Laplace is in Paris during 1793-1794. He was actually in the countryside but here he's there to stop the bad science of the Revolutionaries. It again serves no other purpose other than to slander the Revolution by bringing up all the scientists and artists they persecuted (the artists and scientists who supported the Revolution are obviously ignored).

MURDER MYSTERIES

1) The Assassination of Marat
Now why this mission is a "Murder Mystery" I have no idea. If ever there was a murder lacking in mystery. But the whole point of the mission is to explore what a pathetic waste of a human being Marat was. We see Jacques-Louis David painting Marat at his crime scene, an embellishment that is poetic and so I will forgive. Then we meet Marat's wife, dressed to resemble her actress in Marat/Sade and she and Marat's sister Albertine, complains about how Marat leeched them dry with his lifestyle. In real-life, these women loved Marat and preserved his writings and memory for several years. You have a Girondin dude complain about how Marat persecuted him for suspicions of treason and he wanted to die a martyr, completely whitewashing the Girondins involvement in warmongering and political corruption. Then we meet Charlotte Corday who isn't looked at too much but is basically seen as a woman who is cool and did the world a favor. I like Marat and I like Charlotte too, so I'd like ambiguity but all the same, pathetic.

2) A Body in a Brothel (see also DE SADE's REPRIEVE in PARIS SIDE STORY)
Now generally, the game kind of whitewashes Marquis de Sade. I don't have problems in so far as Sade is otherwise quite misunderstood. The real guy was an ambiguous, scary figure who wrote about power and how the strong will always oppress the weak, a philosophy that the game reduces to "freedom" and kinky sex with sex workers(to whom Sade is a generous pimp apparently). The real guy's ideas are better conveyed in MARAT/SADE. The real Sade during the Revolution was an out of work playwright who had relationships with actresses. He became a member of the radical ward of Piques but he was too independent minded. During the Terror, he served on a tribune and generally got people off, criminals, political prisoners, even a couple of aristocratic enemies who in the old days sent him to jail. De Sade got accused of "moderatism" and was sent to Prison and then transfered to a mental asylum in Picpus (where outside the window he'd see beheaded bodies being buried). The game presents this as Sade being persecuted for being a degenerate with the Evil Psychopath Saint-Just paying a butler to murder a prositute to arrest him. Again this kind of fiction serves no other purpose than to slander the Revolution. The real reasons why Sade was sent to jail cast them in a bad enough light already and shows Sade in a very good light indeed. There's no need to make them super-psychopaths or reduce Sade to being persecuted solely for his sexual schenanigans rather than his political activity.

There's also the fact of incompetence. One of the pieces of evidence that Arno finds is the book 120 Days of Sodom in a student's garret. That book was written in the Bastille by Sade and after its fall, the Marquis cried to everyone that it was gone for good. The book wouldn't be discovered until the 20th Century. Now they might have created something revolving around it, some mystery or some hint, but to casually drop it as a piece of evidence like this in a side mission is absurd and stupid

Cafe-Theatre/Social Club Missions

1) Retribution for a Rabble Rouser
This mission has you assassinating a Jacobin demagogue who is criticizing the Girondins. When you approach the guy, he talks about how the Girondins unleashed war. I am amazed that this fact gets thrown in here of all places and that we get to attack an anti-war critic. The Assassin Council tells you that the Girondins are the "moderate" faction, but the guy you are attacking shouts at people, "What's moderate about starting a war?" and then you have to ask, since the game doesn't, what's heroic about killing a guy who asks this basic truth.

2) An Engaging Egyptologist - Another one for INCOMPETENCE. Now the famous Egyptologist Champollion was the Frenchman who decoded the Rosetta Stone for the first time. France invaded Egypt in 1799, an imperialist adventure Napoleon's PR team paralyed into an Enlightenment Science Project but anyway. Now the game is set between 1790-1794 broadly but the last brotherhood mission takes place in 1799 so I will allow references to a period as late as that in this game. But the problem is that Champollion was born in 1790, Arno's older than him by 20 f--king years, why do we see him as an adult interacting with Arno in this mission.

3) Marat's Missive - Another mission where Marat gets slandered, apparently he gave some thugs license to kill and rob graves, because he's evil.

4) Betrayer of the Queen - This mission has you attacking a Templar who prevented Marie Antoinette from escaping and played a role in slandering Mirabeau's reputation. Since Mirabeau was corrupt and accepted bribes from the royal government while trying to curtail reforms in the Assembly, I fail to see what they had to do to slander his reputation.

Megas_Doux
12-05-2014, 06:04 PM
I could do that "analysis" with every target in the franchise to date. But since this a VIDEO GAME that states its fictional nature from day one and quote "based on historical events" and not any graduation project or a book, well.......

SlyTrooper
12-05-2014, 06:08 PM
I could do that "analysis" with every target in the franchise to date. But since this a VIDEO GAME that states its fictional nature from day one and quote "based on historical events" and not any graduation project or a book, well.......

The very fact that sages exist makes any complaints about accuracy pointless.

Megas_Doux
12-05-2014, 06:28 PM
The very fact that sages exist makes any complaints about accuracy pointless.

This is the way I see it:

The further into modern age AC goes, the more documents and precise information about everything and anything you get. Therefore the more complicated is to fit a lore that, in general, pretty much can be summarized into this

Two antagonists factions fight over the destiny of mankind while trying to discover and use some pretty powerful toys created by an ancient race that long preceded humans. Which they, by the way, designed as slaves.

VestigialLlama4
12-05-2014, 06:39 PM
This is the way I see it:

The further into modern age AC goes, the more documents and precise information about everything and anything you get. Therefore the more complicated is to fit a lore that, in general, pretty much can be summarized into this

Two antagonists factions fight over the destiny of mankind while trying to discover and use some pretty powerful toys created by an ancient race that long preceded humans. Which they, by the way, designed as slaves.

Which powerful object were they fighting for in UNITY?

The point is the "Destiny of Mankind" only works and has meaning if we see it play out against a historical background and setting, otherwise there's no meaning to it at all. The Templars become no different than another gang member whose turf you want to take over and so cut down. You can't build sympathy or complexity for them unless you place them in a context of a historical era and setting. And yes it will be harder with more documents and information but only because it calls for greater creativity on the part of developers. That is a challenge and one that they did not embrace for UNITY.

The History is not some side thing in the franchise, it is its very essence and the only claim AC has to a lasting legacy in games since no other franchise rivals it for detailed historical fiction and recreation. Get the history wrong, the game fails, it is as simple as that.

Dev_Anj
12-06-2014, 02:05 AM

How about you do it for every game, starting with AC 1? It should be interesting.

Mr.Black24
12-06-2014, 03:36 AM
So hey, read this, apperantly fans are either tired or just "meh" to the Victorian London news, well thats a lesson to ya Ubi, do it right or not at all. I hope though it does better: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/543599/Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Ubisoft-AC-Victory-leak

By the way, is the Unity game patched yet? I haven't gotten it yet due to saving up for a new graphics card, but I also won't rush it either if Unity is still a mess.

Namikaze_17
12-06-2014, 03:53 AM
So hey, read this, apperantly fans are either tired or just "meh" to the Victorian London news, well thats a lesson to ya Ubi, do it right or not at all. I hope though it does better: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/543599/Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Ubisoft-AC-Victory-leak

By the way, is the Unity game patched yet? I haven't gotten it yet due to saving up for a new graphics card, but I also won't rush it either if Unity is still a mess.

How do you feel about Victorian London/Victory, Black? :) :rolleyes:

Xstantin
12-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Quality article :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
12-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Quality article :rolleyes:

Really GRADE A stuff. ;) :rolleyes:

Mr.Black24
12-06-2014, 04:29 AM
How do you feel about Victorian London/Victory, Black? :) :rolleyes:

I'll copy paste this from the "Victorian London it is!" post:

I have mixed reactions:

On one had...Victorian London!!!!! I really don't need to explain myself here. Corruption, mystery, conspiracy, murders, and imagine the steampunk inspired weapons and tools, if Ubi does this right! Jumping off Big Ben, hell yeah! Its one of my list of AC Location dreams, right next to WWI. I just want it done right.

On the other: Connor, Aveline, Shay, Esosca, and Arno, their stories are just hanging dry now. I really don't like loose ends, I don't understand why Ubi are leaving messy tracks like that. I feel like its only going to complicate the narrative of the story. I'll be just as disappointed if this new Assassin's story is also just left to hang. Its like pulling weed out the ground and leaving a trail of destruction behind. Plus, you just leave fans of these characters hanging, its kind of insulting really. We just want a closure on the story, and Ubi just gives excuses on "make your own" and leaving us other fans behind.

I hate it if Ubi looks at this and goes "Well that just your way of looking at it and I'm sorry for that" Forget that! Thats like the cops saying, "even though he was unarmed and just selling cigarettes, I'm still going to chock this guy to death since he didn't listen to me. Nah it was justified, he tried to fight back, even though I had 4 guys pinning him down while he was saying, "I cant breath"but I'm sorry i you feel that way"(hint hint, broken American Justice system)

No amount of fan fiction will ever come close to an actual closure. Plus, they'll get money off of us, I mean Ubi is a business after all, I'll PAY for their conclusions! I love how they finished Altair and Ezio before they moved on to the 18th century setting, they should do the same with Connor, Shay, Escosa and Aveline! People are asking for it for so long! I ain't going to give up on that.

Unless of course Ubi unleashes a DLC, movie or well written novel, that closes up their story quite well, than all is good!

I also hope the gameplay is good, I haven't played Unity or Rogue yet, so perhaps it will be the refresher I need. I know people have different thoughts on it, but I'll see! i also had hopes that the main character will be female this time, especially since the rise of the empowered woman was around this time period. The opportunities of having a female main character is immense and refreshing to the series!

AND GOOD OPTIMIZATION, FREAKIN A, UNITY REQUIRES SO MUCH FORM A PC PLAYER, I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FOR A NVIDIA 780 IT OR ANY OF THE 900 SERIES, AND EVEN IF SOMEONE HAS TWO 980S, VERY POWERFUL VIDEO CARDS, IT SHOULDN'T RUN AT A WEAK 40 FPS, IT HAS THE POWER TO DO MORE, ITS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

In summary, since I'm more of an AC fan because of the lore, I really can't move on if their stories aren't done, and done right, hence why I'm somewhat negative on Victory. I just hope a DLC for them pops up on Rogue, Unity, or even in Victory. Plus, after the mess I heard from Unity, I'm a bit worried, and even slowly being disinterested. Like reduced from a solid 10/10 to a 6 1/2.

Altair1789
12-06-2014, 05:01 AM
On the other: Connor, Aveline, Shay, Esosca, and Arno, their stories are just hanging dry now. I really don't like loose ends, I don't understand why Ubi are leaving messy tracks like that. I feel like its only going to complicate the narrative of the story. I'll be just as disappointed if this new Assassin's story is also just left to hang. Its like pulling weed out the ground and leaving a trail of destruction behind. Plus, you just leave fans of these characters hanging, its kind of insulting really. We just want a closure on the story, and Ubi just gives excuses on "make your own" and leaving us other fans behind.

They'll definitely show or tell us how they die and what happened to them after their games

Namikaze_17
12-06-2014, 11:36 AM
On one had...Victorian London!!!!! I really don't need to explain myself here. Corruption, mystery, conspiracy, murders, and imagine the steampunk inspired weapons and tools, if Ubi does this right! Jumping off Big Ben, hell yeah! Its one of my list of AC Location dreams, right next to WWI. I just want it done right.

Same here, Friend. ;)

No amount of fan fiction will ever come close to an actual closure. Plus, they'll get money off of us, I mean Ubi is a business after all, I'll PAY for their conclusions! I love how they finished Altair and Ezio before they moved on to the 18th century setting, they should do the same with Connor, Shay, Escosa and Aveline! People are asking for it for so long! I ain't going to give up on that.

Unless of course Ubi unleashes a DLC, movie or well written novel, that closes up their story quite well, than all is good!

Of course. Like how they closed off Altair/Ezio before a new Era, the same should be done now.

I'll live if they don't, but it'll be cool to know each their end before another Era begins. ^^

king-hailz
12-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Same here, Friend. ;)

Of course. Like how they closed off Altair/Ezio before a new Era, the same should be done now.

I'll live if they don't, but it'll be cool to know each their end before another Era begins. ^^

So technically this is a new era??? Cause if it's I'm the late 19th century that mean 1850 or later... Most previous characters could be dead...

johnsmith145
12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
This poll gives a clear image of this forum: the ranters and the fanboys.

MakimotoJin
12-06-2014, 08:48 PM

And the ones who are neither.

Namikaze_17
12-06-2014, 10:29 PM
And the ones who are neither.

But we are but few... :(

The_Kiwi_
12-06-2014, 10:34 PM

And the self-righteous.
Apparently.

rrebe
12-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Place the poll again 6 months from now, it'll be interesting to see if/how the results have changed. :D

I haven't voted, I'm trying to stay as neutral as possible about Victory until we have more information about it.

Fatal-Feit
12-07-2014, 01:02 AM

Only when new buggy/broken games are released.

soko777
02-27-2015, 01:23 PM
I want them to bring back the counter kills and as well as equipping the double hidden blades as a weapon. thats one of the issues with unity

ElisedelaSerre_
02-27-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm thrilled. I can't wait untill March 4th!

The_Kiwi_
02-27-2015, 01:29 PM

You assume that the reveal is for Victory?
Hopeful

VoXngola
02-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Please don't be, there won't be any reveal.

RADAR__4077
02-27-2015, 02:15 PM
I gave it a 2.

I'm slightly curious. Not excited.

If they announced it is being significantly delayed to improve quality and annual releases are a thing of the past, you might get my attention.

EaglePrince25
02-27-2015, 02:52 PM
8, can't bring myself to a 9 or a 10 after Unity, but beyond that i've enjoyed every game in this series, even though they have started to lose their way in some elements, and I believe that I always will.

VoXngola
02-27-2015, 03:54 PM
EDIT: dumb post by me, sorry.

Altair1789
02-27-2015, 06:33 PM
I said 10 because it's Victorian London, and I'm hoping Ubi learned from their mistakes. I just hope that after the Unity debacle they don't turn to trying to emulate AC2/ Ezio

EDIT: dumb post by me, sorry.

You can delete a post by clicking edit, there will be an option to delete somewhere

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 06:37 PM
you all will only be disappointed :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 06:49 PM
you all will only be disappointed :rolleyes:

I sense a great deal of fear in this comment, not love.

m4r-k7
02-27-2015, 06:51 PM
For the setting its a 10, but for the game its an 8 as there are tons of epic games coming out this year :)

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Im excited but not too excited.

I think you can all understand why, I'd rather expect the worse and get the best than the other way around.

7/10 for me

Xstantin
02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
I think you can all understand why, I'd rather expect the worse and get the best than the other way around.

That's a nice way to look at it :)

Exodusith
02-27-2015, 09:30 PM
5/10. Glad it's not Paris, and the setting should be good. On the other hand, it depends how much of my issues with Unity are changed from the outset. No companion app nonsense. Better QA and bug fixing before release. A better story, with more First Civ and Modern Day - preferably with a new modern protagonist. A better soundtrack, such as getting Jesper Kyd back. etc etc. As others have said, we'll probably end up disappointed. Another Unity style entry will finish off a lot of the loyal fan base though. Hopefully Ubisoft is fully aware of this and will actually take the care to delay and finish the game should it be required.

ElisedelaSerre_
02-27-2015, 11:22 PM
You assume that the reveal is for Victory?
Hopeful

There is a chance, click the link below:
http://www.z-giochi.com/news/en/assassins-creed-victory-will-be-shown-on-march-4-at-gdc-2015-139711

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 11:25 PM
http://www.z-giochi.com/news/en/assassins-creed-victory-will-be-shown-on-march-4-at-gdc-2015-139711

Nope.

Ashraf, Black Flag's director, confirmed on twitter that his project has nothing to do with AC.

The_Kiwi_
02-27-2015, 11:58 PM

No chance, sorry

Sorrosyss
02-28-2015, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty muted on my enthusiasm. I think a lot of people have touched on the issues, namely the story (modern/first civ), and the amount of glitches. I suspect a lot of lessons will have been learned though, so Victory may well bounce the series back on track.

Xangr8
02-28-2015, 10:13 PM
7. Not 5, 'cause IT'S ASSASSIN'S CREED! And not a 10, 'cause it's Victorian England :c

cawatrooper9
03-01-2015, 02:00 AM
I always love AC games, but this is the first since AC3 in which my excitement isn't pumped up to a 10. I'm sitting at about a 5 or 6 right now, and even that's probably being generous. I just wish the series was a bit more grounded.

playlisting
03-01-2015, 04:45 AM
I can't say that I'm excited after Unity's launch so I'll give it a 5. I'm looking forward to it and want to see how it is compared to Unity to see if they've managed to iron out the engine's kinks and listen to community feedback in gameplay terms.

dimbismp
03-01-2015, 12:16 PM
A 4 right now,because we know nothing and i am feeling the "franchise fatigue"

Could become an 10 at E3 ;)

kriegerdesgottes
03-02-2015, 02:12 AM
I haven't been excited for an AC game since ACB. I keep hoping maybe this time! Maybe this time it will go back to the good ol days of AC. And every time I see that the franchise is going downhill fast. There are still a lot of aspects though that I can't avoid. The recreated historical cities is a major factor. I used to google Assassins creed over and over like every day waiting for new trailers and info to leak online. Those days are loooong over. I didn't even watch half the trailers for ACU. I just can't get excited for it anymore. It's just not what it used to be.

Namikaze_17
03-02-2015, 03:06 AM
^ Then leave. Simple as that.

dontstabme_bro
03-02-2015, 03:34 AM
1 for me

AC:Victory is going to be another rushed ac game ubisoft forces to release because of trying to maximize sales during the holiday season, if people think this game is going to be less buggy because of the backlash from unity should realize victroy has been in development for probably 2-3 years now, and has a scheduled release ubisoft wont delay for anything