PDA

View Full Version : Hate collectibles in AC

crusader_prophet
12-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Too many chests, cockades, artifacts with no reward of value...it is very annoying to climb building and collect them when they exist in three digits...and then there is a trophy associated with them and microtransactions if you want to save time...talk about shady interests.

RinoTheBouncer
12-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I agree. Collectibles are utterly pointless and yes, I know they’re optional, but one needs them for a 100% completion. I’d rather have a few side missions with story value and are well structured and different from one another, rather than running around pointlessly collecting stuff that ain’t gonna add anything to the story nor they’re a reasonable thing for the story of the Assassin to be running around, collecting stuff nor for some researching a specific memory for information.

Rafe Harwood
12-03-2014, 01:14 PM
We all play slightly differently and it's great that we do.

I actually like all the little collectibles. I always have.

As for the achievement... I've said it before, you get awards for achieving something, not for taking part ;)

The only things I have never liked are the time saver stuff (which would be why I never got one lol) and the markers telling you where every darn thing is.

Bring back the feathers! Or something in that style anyway. Make us have to search every inch ;)

crusader_prophet
12-03-2014, 01:25 PM
No not even the feathers, these collectibles have no point, they are not even fun to collect. I think the Nostradamus missions was a perfect way to explore the city they recreated, it forced you to brainstorm and in the process learn so much more about the location (its history, buildings, people, culture, architecture). I would have liked a better reward though at the end, something that tied into the story or the main narrative, but i think that is the way collectibles should go in AC franchise if the idea is to explore the recreated location.

rrebe
12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
I actually kinda like the collectibles, as pointless as the may be. Without them I doubt I'd explore many of the places in the game.

RinoTheBouncer
12-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I’d rather have missions and cutscenes that are diverse enough to make me explore, investigate and behold the beauty of the city, rather than being forced to chase around pointless objects. I like everything to be story driven, not shoved in just because.

Erfivur
12-03-2014, 02:21 PM
The Cockades unlock colours for customisation and the chests had stuff in, money/equipment/etc.
I agree there are an awful lot of them.

No not even the feathers, these collectibles have no point, they are not even fun to collect. I think the Nostradamus missions was a perfect way to explore the city they recreated, it forced you to brainstorm and in the process learn so much more about the location (its history, buildings, people, culture, architecture). I would have liked a better reward though at the end, something that tied into the story or the main narrative, but i think that is the way collectibles should go in AC franchise if the idea is to explore the recreated location.

I'm finding the riddles pre-suppose that I know a lot more about Paris than the game has actively informed me. It seems to require a lot of database dredging and that's only assuming i've unlocked the appropriate database entries so... :S
I finished my first four chains of riddles only having to look up two solutions but i'm not sure i'll do so well with the remaining ones.

I'm finding the murder mysteries the most engaging for setting the scene of the city by way of meeting characters with relationships and motives and learning about their jobs in the tanning house or the butchers or the asylum. Being given reason to explore these places and having things to look at and do gives some nice context to things i'd otherwise overlook from the third-person perspective.
(The paris stories might achieve this too but i've only done a few of those and they've not gripped me quite yet)

LeVoyageur07
12-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Collectibles makes me visit obscure parts of the city that I never would visit otherwise.

And they are optional.

bitebug2003
12-03-2014, 03:52 PM
I don't mind them actually -- I like collectibles

Could well do without the companion app though - it's not even fun

deskpe
12-03-2014, 04:18 PM
ACU has way too many. AC4 had too many set on mindless island u had to sail to.

TwentyGlyphs
12-03-2014, 04:25 PM
I generally like collectibles because they do help encourage me to find interesting parts of the map. But they've really gone overboard in the past 2 games. Black Flag was annoying with all the Uncharted Animus fragments and chests. It was a serious grind having to pull up to little islands constantly to collect those things. Unity is pretty bad. So many freaking chests. Just everywhere. And they add no value. Once you're a decent way into the game, the amount of money you get from the chests is just a rounding error compared to your cash. And the amount of icons just littering the map is ridiculous. Cockades and chests would be fine if they were cut in half.

The annoying thing is that chests have been this way ever since AC2, and it's like Ubisoft is completely oblivious to the issue. AC2's chests were the same way -- a nice way to make money early on, then an annoying grind later in the game. At least in AC2 there were far fewer so it wasn't as bad. Now they're just adding more and more, and put many of them behind a lockpicking game where you can't even realistically access them until you've played a ton of the game to upgrade that skill. So you end up wasting time making your way over to a red chest, only to find it's a Level 3 chest and you just wasted your time fighting/stealthing the guards that were guarding it. Not a fun grind at all.

The best kinds of collectibles are the kind that have a story purpose, give you a legitimate reward, and provide some gameplay variety. In Arkham City, the Riddler trophies have fun little puzzles attached to them that add some variety to the gameplay. Different levels of collecting them unlocks a new side mission. It's all tied into the story. AC2's glyphs and Brotherhood's Rifts were great. I kept wanting to find the next one to unlock more puzzles and see another snippet of the Truth. The letters in bottles in AC4 were pretty good, rewarding you with a side story that expanded on the game's main story. And at least the Shanties in AC4 gave you a new song to hear and gave you some variety by having the challenge of chasing them down.

The worst kind of collectible is the kind that's just there to collect with no story and no meaningful reward. Animus fragments in AC4, for instance, have absolutely no story context given. They're just there. Same with the cockades. Who cares about unlocking a new color? It's obviously all there just to pad out the game and make it seem even bigger.

crusader_prophet
12-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Why would you guys go around collecting mindless objects if you have actual designed interesting missions to visit and explore the city such as the Paris stories, Murder Mysteries and Nostradamus missions???

melbye82
12-03-2014, 06:51 PM
I don't hate the collectibles in theory, what i hate are chest are need to be lockpicked, but they are protected by a group of guards and/or behind a door that needs to be lockpicked. The more there are the less time it should take to open them in my opinion. I have a similar complaint about Batman Arkham City

wvstolzing
12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
It would be more interesting if they were hate-collectibles, like little rotating swastikas and such.

wickywoowoo
12-03-2014, 10:59 PM
I am not a big collectibles fan as I am not one who is bothered about 100% completion (I usually hit about 80% or a bit more which is all the story and main side missions) but I have to say I found myself getting every animus fragment on Rogue because I am a big geek for the modern day story. When these collectibles give you an actual reward (not a pointless trophy) then I have far more patience doing them all.

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 11:18 PM
I

The annoying thing is that chests have been this way ever since AC2, and it's like Ubisoft is completely oblivious to the issue. AC2's chests were the same way -- a nice way to make money early on, then an annoying grind later in the game. At least in AC2 there were far fewer so it wasn't as bad.

AC II Apologetics.....

That game has 350 chests, 350 and 100 feathers......

And since I pretty much despise collectibles, I only care for the ones that actually mean something, like Sea shanties and may be the feathers.

lukazdragon
12-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Possible problems with collectibles:
-Too many, and a pain when wanting 100%
- Non existant or irrelevant reward

Possible advantages on collectibles:
- Make you explore places, and places inside places, in a fast way, when you don't really want a mission
- A way of rewarding you

So, as a solution, there should be a division:

Types of collectible:
1.Those who give you an important item or interesting informations when collected.
2.Those who give you small things (A bit of money, like chests)

Type 1 can be required for 100%, but should be more about quality than quantity. I remember Far Cry 3 had almos a hundred of those statues. It would be better if you had 50, or even 25 of them, with a good, challenging dungeon or enviroment for getting each. ACIV has some manuscripts that are well guarded and with a small "mission" prepared for each one of them. I like that, it's funnier than just walking around and grabbing things. The ones who run away are cool too, as it makes action even for something so apparently boring as collecting. And as I said: more quality than quantity.

Type 2 can be like the chests are: numerous and in lots of places, to fill the world a bit and give us motivation to expore small places, but shouldn't be required for 100% and maybe not even appear in the map and confuse us with the relevant things.

bitebug2003
12-04-2014, 12:50 AM
AC Rogue and AC Black Flag handled it well

I love the Templar maps too :)

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:21 AM
I just wish the chests were more valuable.

100 dollars is nothing when a potion can cost me 30,000

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 04:50 AM
AC Rogue and AC Black Flag handled it well

I love the Templar maps too :)

Yeah,searching for 24 maps,and then triple the time by searching for those damn Templar relics....for a armor that doesn't fit with the locations.At all.And don't get me started with the-urgh- Viking armor.

Rafe Harwood
12-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Yeah,searching for 24 maps,and then triple the time by searching for those damn Templar relics....for a armor that doesn't fit with the locations.At all.And don't get me started with the-urgh- Viking armor.

You didn't expect treasures that had been lost for years or centuries to fit in with 18th century clothing style did you???