PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Hand Signals ? Alternative teammate communication (Suggestion)

Krillin_Spree
12-03-2014, 11:54 AM
So like you have one of those days where you connect with bunches of teammate who don't have a microphone to communicate, and you think it is the end.....BUT..... I THINK THERE IS A SOLUTION

As you've seen in many Military movies, the Soldiers usually use hand signals to quietly approach in operations without making a sound, like when you need your teammate to regroup, you raise your finger up in the air and spin to let them know. Or when you spot a sniper from the other side, you use your fist and place close to your eyes (sign of a scope, scope means sniper). You can use your hand in any directions your teammates at, a "wheel of hand commands" would be nice.

I mean how cool is that ? It's just like real life, and it can be a very useful feature to the strategy, and how you gonna make your move by just using your hands. If you cannot hear, why not "talk" by visual eh ?
I found some useful links for the basic SWAT hand communication here, you can check out :

http://www.lefande.com/hands.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEfLh75wh3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEpH5tvwYkI

What do you think Devs?

RedKnight5
12-03-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm not a developer... but here is my comment.

If you are playing Siege with a group of random kids or adult players, with or without a mic, I think using hand signals will simply be ignored. Strategic Teamwork with random players is just about impossible. Playing Siege with randoms, is going to turn into a "Run & Gun" chaos mess, that most of us here won't stand for. Also... since RB6 Siege is a "1st Person Shooter" game... you couldn't see your hand signals anyway, since those signals would be off screen. If you accidentally hit the wrong "wheel" hand signal option ... you could lose the game for your team. So an on-screen "Icon" would be needed, to show what hand signal you just gave... so you could quickly correct your hand signal if needed.

Now... if you have a tight working group of RB6 friends in game... it's almost for certain, all your friends will be using a mic for communications.

In a random player game... using a "wheel of hand commands" button, in a fast paced "Ubi default settings" game of Siege, would take to much time. But it is a cool idea if a rented RB6 "PRIVATE Server" room, could be set to any game play time limit, the players agree on, with the use of hand signals. Like instead of a 3 to 5 minute RB6 default game... the room could be set to 10, 20 minutes or an unlimited play time (as you win, when you kill all the bad guys in the match), or any time limit the players wanted. Of course this would require UbiSoft to provide user paid, Rented "Private User Servers", like DICE added in months later to Battlefield3, with all the admin user options and controls needed, for setting up game rooms for any group of private players, for any game style they wanted to play... for Private and Public games. Of course, for the public players entering an open custom Clan private server... the public needs to know, in a pre-game lobby, how the game is set up, so they can decide to enter the game or not. But... if UbiSoft didn't build in to RB6 Siege, with a rented "User Private Server" system in mind... it's most likely to late to add the complicated controls needed for Private Server use now. Maybe... the "RB6 Private Server" system could be added later... like DICE did with their Battlefield 3 Private Servers... to make RB6 Siege available to a larger audience. When DICE added the BF3 Private Servers to it's game, EA and DICE greatly increased the sales of BF3, along with it's patches and fixes.

UbiSoft Rented Clan/Squad "Private Servers" for private Clan wars, competitions and tournaments, will only increase the sales of RB6 Siege to more players in Clans. It all depends on how UbiSoft wants RB6 Siege to preform for their customers. As in a Small Scale, simple RB6 Siege, for a quick single player game, with a fast link up for a multiplayer game with randoms or a few friends. OR... a larger, more comprehensive, Paid Rented Private Server custom RB6 Siege system, with all the small scale stuff for casual playing... with the added options and controls needed for larger Clans, Custom Squads and groups of friends that want to play an RB6 Siege game how "they" want to play it. We're talking about thousands, if not millions of more sales of RB6 Siege. With the added addition of the increased sales of the Paid Rented Private Server system for Siege play... that's just icing on the cake!! UbiSoft.... are you listening?

In a user custom, Private Server game... the use of "hand signals" would be a great addition to add some graphic coolness. Although if everyone has a mic in the match... "hand signals" would just be on screen fluff and probably not used, accept for fun.

skcire09
12-05-2014, 01:16 AM
It would be amazing if your web cam (or kinect) could watch your hand for signals and translate them to in-game commands. Like if you lift your hand off the mouse to signal 'STOP' your character would do the same and yell 'HOLD' or whatever. It would definately be a good way to rope in the Kinext for xbox.

Basically it would a UNIQUE SELLING POINT which is vital for top selling video games these days.

Obviously this would not be optimal for competitive play, but it would rope in the newer players or people without mics.

RedKnight5
12-05-2014, 03:38 PM
It would be amazing if your web cam (or kinect) could watch your hand for signals and translate them to in-game commands. Like if you lift your hand off the mouse to signal 'STOP' your character would do the same and yell 'HOLD' or whatever. It would definately be a good way to rope in the Kinext for xbox.

Basically it would a UNIQUE SELLING POINT which is vital for top selling video games these days.

Obviously this would not be optimal for competitive play, but it would rope in the newer players or people without mics.

Agreed. For the PS4, the PS MOVE controllers could also be used. I used the PS MOVE system for Socom4 and Killzone... lots of fun and more accurate to play that way. Much better than the "Old Tech" PS Toy Hand Controller!! I hate the PS Hand Controller... to small for adult hands.

I use a Mouse and Frag chuck system for my PS4 now. Love it!!! It's from TUACT called the VenomX Mouse. For PS4, xBox1 and PC. Here's the info: http://www.tuact.com/en

The VenomX is totally customizable with all it's buttons. All control settings can be changed or adjusted for any game and game mouse control sets can be saved for each game you play. You'll never use the PS hand controller again!!

Anyway... the PS MOVE controller could be easily integrated for Hand Signals with Siege. But no game developer codes games for the PS MOVE anymore. And that's SONY's fault for not supporting their MOVE controller and making it difficult and expensive for game developers to use the MOVE in their games. You can use the MOVE with a PS4... but no games are out there to do so. UbiSoft never made a game to be used with the Sony MOVE. What a loss....

Cortexian
12-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Something like the Battlefield series Comm Rose would be a better way to go about short communications in-game. Hand signals are to easily missed from a game play perspective. Would much rather hear a character telling me something with an audio cue.

shobhit7777777
12-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Would be cool.....IF the enemy could hear your chatter as in modded Arma. I don't see it working in public matches however.

Krillin_Spree
01-16-2015, 04:30 PM
I mean to say that the hand signals are extra animations from short communication "wheels" after you selected a command for each individual.
The thing is when you (in first person) seeing your teammate doing hand signals for certain situations (in third person), there should be a small text indicator next to the hand signs, like speech bubble in comics
For instance, your team leader wants you to stop walking, as he warns about a suspicious movement/sound in the next room, he got his hands up, and a little text box said "hold up" next to his hand model for everyone to see in their perspectives
That would make the whole hand signs communication make much more sense and easier, I still think the purpose about using hands still can be an alternate/useful communicating feature without voice, maybe put this feature as some sort of "hardcore" mode ?
I know that people prefer audio cues when people saying popular games like Counter-Strike or Battlefield series, but don't you think voice chat already did it in Siege ? we don't need unnecessary short audio cues because they're not as accurate as voice chat. I'm not saying hand signs should replace any of the essential communications in the game already, I'm saying it can be add as another cool feature for more hardcore players
There's another think I'm thinking of, deaf people use sign language right ? What if deaf players can't voice chat but using this hand signs in this game ? BOOM, a bonus for a larger audience,
In my opinion,I think this feature can redefine the "realism" that Rainbow Six do, especially Siege, real-time stradegy games needs to feel real and involving to their smallest details, you know what I'm saying ? It can make Rainbow Six Siege so unique from other FPS games

Tincupgamer
02-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Outside of competitive play I don't think these would be used properly. Just like the voice commands of most games, people just spam them because everyone these days seems to have ADD or something.

And most competitive players will be using some sort of VOIP at least on the PC...

RedKnight5
02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Outside of competitive play I don't think these would be used properly. Just like the voice commands of most games, people just spam them because everyone these days seems to have ADD or something.

And most competitive players will be using some sort of VOIP at least on the PC...

So true...

Good communications are critical to win game rounds. The SOCOM games had the best communications. "Push to Talk" to communicate. (not today's always on mics for "Talk Chaos"). Socom games also had something called "Proximity Chat". This allowed you to talk to a player (friend or foe)... that was within a few feet of you. You didn't have to "Push to Talk" any button to talk or give a command to someone just a few feet away. If your teammate was close to you... just talk or whisper to them as in real life. But the enemy could also hear you if they were close enough... just like in real life!! If they were on the other side of a map... then use your "Push to Talk" radio button to communicate with them. With Socom's "Push to Talk" system... only one person could talk at a time. That made communications and giving commands much clearer and easier to understand. Hand signals are only screen fluff and for "Show" in BF3 and BF4. In SOCOM... we could also "Mute" any player misusing the mic.

In BF4... since it's communications system was broken between Squads and total Team Chat... some of us were force to use the PS4 Party Chat... but only good for about 9 players at a time. Your other 23 console teammates were on their own! PCs have cool VOIP. Find for PCs... at a cost, but VOIP causes problems for console players on bandwidth and smooth gaming. Please, no PC vs Console wars here!! If the in-game console communications doesn't work... you just don't use them. Hence... no one talks. No Teamwork. "Run & Gun" kid play.

BF3 had a decent and workable "Squad and Team Chat" system for teamwork. You could separate Squad only chat and put your Squad Leaders and Field Commander on Team Chat. Worked pretty good too for organized Clans and teams.

Now for BF4.... that communication system was the worst DICE ever designed... and was one of the main reasons our Clan is no longer playing BF4! DICE screwed that up pretty good in BF4... and should have used the old BF3 "Squad & Team Chat" communication system. Of course it's DICE... which didn't use real military communications as a guide. BF4... the new COD want to be!!

VAPOR33
02-09-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm too busy playing the game to watch my teammate throwing up hand signals....lulz

Cortexian
02-10-2015, 06:05 PM
If your character did hand signals in addition to a voice call-out, it would add a little immersion. I guess it's up to the devs to figure out of the dev time to implement this is worth the gain.