PDA

View Full Version : Weapons in Victory?

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 12:56 AM
So, this has caught my attention, and it could be nothing, but... Sam doesn't seem to be carrying any weapons in the leaked screens. I would ordinarily brush this off as simply a quirk of the target footage, but I got to thinking; what weapons would he be using? Swords, by the late 1800s, had kind of gone by the wayside. And, notably, the fight we see is just a fisticuffs bout. I'm sure we'll get guns (likely revolvers and bolt-action rifles), but in terms of melee, do you think we could be seeing a more fists-oriented game this time? It would certainly be more realistic, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the other hand, combat that's a mix of unarmed martial arts and hidden blade finishers could be slick as all ****ing hell.

rprkjj
12-03-2014, 01:01 AM
So, this has caught my attention, and it could be nothing, but... Sam doesn't seem to be carrying any weapons in the leaked screens. I would ordinarily brush this off as simply a quirk of the target footage, but I got to thinking; what weapons would he be using? Swords, by the late 1800s, had kind of gone by the wayside. And, notably, the fight we see is just a fisticuffs bout. I'm sure we'll get guns (likely revolvers and bolt-action rifles), but in terms of melee, do you think we could be seeing a more fists-oriented game this time? It would certainly be more realistic, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the other hand, combat that's a mix of unarmed martial arts and hidden blade finishers could be slick as all ****ing hell.

Never thought of this. Could definitely be neat, but I'm sure we'll be able to use rifles in a similar manner to swords.

D.I.D.
12-03-2014, 01:04 AM
It might be that the hand weapons are tiny daggers but the hidden blade is unusually long, like a short sword. But then you've got to think about combat, and combat won't make a lot of sense if there isn't an exchange of blows.

Clubs, cudgels, coshes, crowbars and other blunt instruments, not necessarily as alliterative, were common instruments in crime at the time. I think in order to make a strong weapon that can fit inside the clothing fashions of the era, we might see Ubisoft getting a bit playful with the time scale and giving us a spring cosh, or extendable baton: the type that grows from a small stick to a long weapon via telescopic cylinders of metal. Maybe the game's star engineer will make one for us.

Guns were completely unregulated and very common. We're going to see a lot of those.

Although the era wasn't big on crossbows, I would not be at all surprised to see the protagonist with a crossbow or crossbow-like weapon (or perhaps the phantom blade will have made its way across the channel).

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Never thought of this. Could definitely be neat, but I'm sure we'll be able to use rifles in a similar manner to swords.

True. Maybe cane/staff fighting too, that was big at the time but not exactly practical for big heat-of-the-moment fights.

Imagine, though... instead of choosing a weapon, you choose a fighting style, e.g. judo vs. karate vs. kung fu, rather than sword vs. axe vs. spear. At its core it would be the same thing, mechanically; selecting to favor speed, versatility, or power, each with its own set of animations. And the animators could be given free reign to work in hidden blade moves with each style.

I'd best stop thinking about this, I'm selling myself on the idea without having any clue whether it's true or not :p

Derp43
12-03-2014, 01:48 AM
Or our Assassin friend could just go shooting everybody up with a repeater.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 01:50 AM
British Charm.

The most effective weapon in the game. That gets me thinking, Shaun's going to have a field day!

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Or our Assassin friend could just go shooting everybody up with a repeater.

And that would be the day I lose interest in AC.

Ureh
12-03-2014, 02:01 AM
A rifle disguised as an umbrella.

DumbGamerTag94
12-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Sword Cane!!!
Simple. It's a popular self defense weapon of the time. And an awesome way to keep swords a thing in the 19th/early 20th century.

So I expect:
Sword Cane
Revolver
Bare hands
Some kind of rope dart deal with the grappling hook
And a dart gun of some kind be it a phantom blade or some kind of disgusted pipe/gun. Either in a cane or umbrella.

SixKeys
12-03-2014, 05:06 AM
http://rgh.cc/albums/userpics/10184/Apache_pocket_gun.jpg

1870 Apache pocket pistol. Brass knuckles, bayonet and gun all in one.

bgfgty66
12-03-2014, 05:09 AM
I'm hoping for Fencing style swordsmanship. and have weapons like lances, spears, with a real aiming/not a clunky feature with the guns.

SixKeys
12-03-2014, 05:13 AM
I'm hoping for Fencing style swordsmanship. and have weapons like lances, spears, with a real aiming/not a clunky feature with the guns.

That style of combat didn't really exist by Victorian times anymore.

bgfgty66
12-03-2014, 05:16 AM
That style of combat didn't really exist by Victorian times anymore....pe then?

GoldenBoy9999
12-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Ooohh... The thought of all the new advanced weaponry is making me salivate. I loved looking at and researching the guns of Unity like the pepperbox because it was so cool that there was multi-barrel pistols way back then. Now we're gonna get REAL revolvers. The ability to equip a rifle in Unity was great and is what I'm doing a lot. Hopefully they can take this to the next step and refine the aiming and overall mechanics of the guns.

And for god's sake give us the option of reloading our revolver when we've fired off a few rounds.

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 07:41 AM
And for god's sake give us the option of reloading our revolver when we've fired off a few rounds.

You can do that in Unity. Click the left stick (or maybe the right, I don't remember). I didn't realize this until recently either.

But yeah, if they're going to do guns again they need to make them feel a little weightier. RDR's gun effects are absolutely wonderful, they should just blatantly copy them :p

Sigv4rd
12-03-2014, 08:17 AM
http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/03/moriarty_threatens_sherlock_holmes_with_a_mini_sle eve_pistol-37349.gif
This please!

Also
In this screenshot you can see a crossed blades icon in the bottom right. I'm thinking either dual daggers or just the hidden blade icon.
http://cdn3.gamepur.com/images/assassins_creed_victory/screenshot-2.jpg

Here you can see that the icon is now what I assume to be the grappling hook (with the Assassin insignia as the hook) perhaps it will function as a rope dart in combat?
http://cdn3.gamepur.com/images/assassins_creed_victory/screenshot-3.jpg

The8bitAsian
12-03-2014, 08:29 AM
http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/03/moriarty_threatens_sherlock_holmes_with_a_mini_sle eve_pistol-37349.gif
This please!

Also
In this screenshot you can see a crossed blades icon in the bottom right. I'm thinking either dual daggers or just the hidden blade icon.

Here you can see that the icon is now what I assume to be the grappling hook (with the Assassin insignia as the hook) perhaps it will function as a rope dart in combat?

Yeah I also think this grappling hook will act as a weapon similar to the rope dart. Maybe it's a modification to the rope dart?

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 09:33 AM
This please!

Also

First one just looks like the old throwing knives icon. Wouldn't mind them returning, presuming we get free-aim and a decent throwing animation. Phantom blade was a little cheesy IMO.

MakimotoJin
12-03-2014, 10:24 AM
The Victorian era doesn't have sword combat,right?
I'm thinking this AC will have heavy stealth,which comes with stealth weapons.
Hidden blades,throwing knives,poison darts maybe?Also some revolvers,and a musket as well.
I think a sorta blade should appear,right?At least a knife,plz Ubi.

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
The Victorian era doesn't have sword combat,right?
I'm thinking this AC will have heavy stealth,which comes with stealth weapons.
Hidden blades,throwing knives,poison darts maybe?Also some revolvers,and a musket as well.
I think a sorta blade should appear,right?At least a knife,plz Ubi.

If they're doing blade combat again, then cane swords are an absolute must.

MakimotoJin
12-03-2014, 10:39 AM
If they're doing blade combat again, then cane swords are an absolute must.

lol,imagine customizing your own umbrella.

RinoTheBouncer
12-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Id be really happy if we get a more melee focused fighting system. Weve always had a lacking melee combat system. Ive always hoped wed get acrobatic movies, I mean for Gods sake, were doing parkour and we cant do a backflip? Id be happy if we have such type of moves and similar fighting methods.

Im kinda torn between asking for a system based on martial arts and Kung Fu, something detailed and precise and very damaging.

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I’d be really happy if we get a more melee focused fighting system. We’ve always had a lacking melee combat system. I’ve always hoped we’d get acrobatic movies, I mean for God’s sake, we’re doing parkour and we can’t do a backflip? I’d be happy if we have such type of moves and similar fighting methods.

I’m kinda torn between asking for a system based on martial arts and Kung Fu, something detailed and precise and very damaging.

In fairness, backflips are just something young guys do to show off. There isn't a single practical application of a backflip, and you sure as hell wouldn't have reason to do one in a swordfight. I'm hoping they lean in the complete opposite direction; smooth, fast, elegant, but not flashy. Think James Bond or Jason Bourne.

GoldenBoy9999
12-03-2014, 01:30 PM
You can do that in Unity. Click the left stick (or maybe the right, I don't remember). I didn't realize this until recently either.

But yeah, if they're going to do guns again they need to make them feel a little weightier. RDR's gun effects are absolutely wonderful, they should just blatantly copy them :p

Thanks so much! That bugged the hell outta me. I agree about the RDR guns. I thought they did the guns greatly. I wouldn't mind seeing that same level of quality go into Victory. Ubisoft could also learn something from R* about horses.

m4r-k7
12-03-2014, 01:46 PM
http://rgh.cc/albums/userpics/10184/Apache_pocket_gun.jpg

1870 Apache pocket pistol. Brass knuckles, bayonet and gun all in one.

Lol I remember thats what many thought Arno was wearing in the first picture of him in Ubisofts offices. Its such an awesome weapon.