PDA

View Full Version : Assasins Creed Unity - The good , The bad , the ugly (Contains spoilers)

RVSage
12-02-2014, 08:36 AM
This thread is going to be my detailed review on Unity... With a lot of interesting stuff.. I discovered playing this game on two rigs.... One with a GTX 780M, one with an EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

Disclaimer: I am not with or against Ubisoft.. I have tried to stay as realistic and neutral as possible.. The below are purely my views on the game.. Opinions do differ..

The Good

"The Best" Graphics in any game till date The details, the textures , the models, the lighting , the fog, the reflection, the puddled roads, the notre dame, the Pantheon, The paris .. The list goes on... I mean no released game till december 1, 2014 (i.e today matches it)
Revamped , more realistic gameplay.. I love the removal counter skills and streaks just by pressing direction keys.. Many say it's slow.. I would call it realistic fight speeds.. You actually fight..
Nice progression and customization system...really makes it great to craft you own unique assassin
Co-op is really fun, the heist missions are indeed challenging..though all of this was buggy until recently.. It is indeed takes the series to the next level as far as "multi-player " is concerned
The level of details the artists, animators have put in is commendable.. All of them deserve a standing ovation and awards.. And a big bend down from me.... SALUTES
A truly next-gen game. This is where it really begins. Thanks for the season pass and DLC offers I appreciate it..

The Bad

Given the details in the game I would call the system requirements a fair call, BUTTTTT... does the recommended requirements perform as expected... Well the answer is sadly no.... This is the first biggest bad.. And many stuffs that follow are related to it
The CPU usage is consistently too high.. (This is one possible suspect why the frame-rate issues exist).. I mean in crowded areas it doesn't even fluctuate to 90-95%.. It STAYS at 100%.. (This is not healthy I am not stress testing my CPU) (This on a i5-4960K Quad core)).. Something is terribly wrong here... Really.. This is what I guess the devs are calling task queue.. Their queue is indeed jammed..
NVIDIA's own technologies on the most recent GPUs (GTX 900s) causes frame-rate drops.. Try TXAA and see your FPS drop (Not talking to you SLI folks ;) ).. Is the game optimized for NVIDIAs own technologies in their most recent cards??? Oh common this is bad O bad... And I don't want to talk about the misery AMD folks are in.
The numerous bugs and crashes, and single save issues.. that people have had a really sad.. (Thankful to my luck that I never had these issues and thanks to Ubi many of these have been fixed)

The Ugly

I am sad this list exists myself. Anyway.. The first Ugly thing... All the above are pretty bad issues.. There is no way these could have not been caught.. When they say recommended requirements.. Obviously they should have tested it.. Before they set the requirements.. But still why release it??? I smell Business folks, pressure here....Which should not be the primary factor driving such a huge and popular.. series.. Quality should drive it.. Okay enough said about this.
Where is my character running loading screen?????? :( :(............. I feel soo sad because of this.. I feel like I wait for a eternity... with that blank loading screen.. That was iconic of the series.. why remove it.????
The story line is a big duh... There has been no coherency since AC III.. You kill Desmond in the most odd way possible.. Call Juno the big baddie.. Then comes in a sage.. Okay he is related to Juno...but still show her for a scene in AC IV.. blabbering some stuff hard to comprehend.. Then dont show here at all in ACU.. am I missing something?????????? It plainly feels like you have no clue how you are moving the storyline...Zero coherency...And ACU revolution story wasn't great either.. It was like a enhanced version of ezio-cristina story.. where enhanced cristina(Elise) actually is a templar and can fight.. While both die eventually.. And in both cases fathers die..In both cases teacher dies... (Add a betrayal enhancement there)..Well this is a new interesting story.. (The pieces don't fit together one bit).. Then there is Brahman comic where you talk about combining PoEs.. Nobody knows where the story line is heading.. Including Ubisoft itself :/ ...It feels like you are extending the series for the sake of milking the franchise.. I see no intention of telling a cohesive story..

Overall Summary

Great Effor by Ubi deign team to design this beauty.. Full marks for the deigners.. You guys are the best
Should have tested better pre-release
I like the game. Infact love Paris.. But the story.. the narrative.. I find it boring and non- cohesive to the core

What can be done better

The story
pre-release testing
Platform Optimization

PS: I dont mean to hurt anyone at Ubi by this review.. I totally understand what it takes to be a dev... I am just posting this so that you guys know what a loyal fan like me wants from the series

Your Well wisher and hardcore AC fan
RVSage

Alienscavenger
12-02-2014, 09:34 AM
where is my character running loading screen?????? :( :(............. I feel soo sad because of this.. I feel like i wait for a eternity... With that blank loading screen.. That was iconic of the series.. Why remove it.????

this !!!!

Erfivur
12-02-2014, 01:54 PM
I do agree that with the lack of a "present-day" story line to give the Animus/Helix some context the games lose a little bit of their coherency.
Those characters used to provide a much needed level of exposition and now we seem to be expected to hunt through whole databases of information to decipher it for ourselves.
As if it's assumed the default player just wouldn't care enough to want to know and the committed player would be happy to do their own research.

iammaxcheung
12-02-2014, 05:39 PM
The story sucks...the ending sucks more

RVSage
12-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I do agree that with the lack of a "present-day" story line to give the Animus/Helix some context the games lose a little bit of their coherency.
Those characters used to provide a much needed level of exposition and now we seem to be expected to hunt through whole databases of information to decipher it for ourselves.
As if it's assumed the default player just wouldn't care enough to want to know and the committed player would be happy to do their own research.

Yes a committed player like me reads all the databases, I read all the graphic novels, whatever material I could get my hands on.. But still there is a big void and things don't fit together at all...The big question is where is Juno??? Why are no assassins in the modern day...trying to do anything against her?? She tricked the mentor's son to death.. she is a bigger threat than all templars.. And we don't hear about her in an entire game..AC III ending is where it all started.... The modern day goal of assassins and templars fell to pieces.... I just feel they have lost track themselves... This is so like the terminator series being over milked.. don't you think.. But I still feel these gaps can be filled if Ubisoft focuses on good story telling again.. This is my humble opinion

strigoi1958
12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm happy playing the historical parts, I'm not really keen on the immersion breaking modern parts where you stop after a major sea battle with an elite warship to take a parcel from the office to a courier in the lobby (even though it is quite clever). I think IMHO they have made us subject 19... instead of having a modern protagonist leaving his desk to go to another and hack (play a game) we use the companion or initiates to get further in the game, great for me as I can skip all that and stay as an assassin. I'm sure Juno and the others will resurface again when an appropriate story line is ready. And again just my opinion but I feel as though the amount of work they have put in to Unity maybe some things were edited out and the story line may have been shortened in order to meet the deadline....

But I think that now they have got Unity as a next gen basis... next year will not only be graphically stunning but the story line and intertwined plots will all be back.

JohnConnor2012
12-02-2014, 10:05 PM
TBH, I can't recommend ACU to anyone while many (including myself) can't progress beyond Sequence 7.2 because of Ubi's shoddy implementation. If only half the (main) game is accessible, why shouldn't we pay only half price for it?

I agree with the OP that revolutionary Paris is a 'wow', esp. so many detailed interiors. The city--and many of the characters in the main plotline--are unique and evocative of this era. The murder mysteries were a clever reference to Poe/Eugene Sue and the Nostradamus enigmas a way of forcing you to read the in-game encyclopaedia and use your brain, whereas AC2 series glyph puzzles essentially forced you to turn cryptographer (tough on us non-mathematicians!).

Many of my gripes will be familiar--the Companion app and disgraceful introduction of helix credits, the brokenness of other online play, and the continuous technical shoddiness and glitching--but I want to mention a couple of particulars that I haven't seen often commented on:

1) Almost all the side missions are ludicrously easy. Once you have levelled up equipment through social club income, Arno is unbeatable and stealth goes out the window. All you lose in steamrollering through heists, for example, is bonus money and the clubs are bringing that in anyway, Set-piece brawls that end up with a dozen or more guards killed each time become common - good for rapidly clearing out areas... Even the toughest 5* missions are blown away in short order by standing off on a rooftop and systematically shooting down everyone in sight, hiding until reset if return fire gets too hot. Then walk in afterwards for the goodies. I did every side mission available before starting Sequence 3, just to illustrate how unbalanced ACU is here and, TBH, found many of these missions very, very same-ish.

2) With laggy, low-end computers like mine, the lock-picking minigame is impossible at apprentice level and fails 2/3 of the time at journeyman level, especially when multiple tumblers are involved. Which means some missions/sync points/chests remain inaccessible until the end of Sequence 9 when master locksmith skill can be bought. It's not that I'm being impatient - just that Silversmith mission mid-sequence 5 requires four doors to be picked to get 100% sync for it - when you're apprentice locksmith at best then. Only way of getting 100% sync here is to replay mission when you are better skilled - onerous, to say the least.

ACU strikes me as highly ambitious and promising - but seriously spoiled by being rushed into production before it was complete and completely tested. An EA-style business model is not acceptable to me - which is a prime reason why I bought Ubisoft products instead. I feel my confidence in Ubi has been taken advantage of with ACU and will make a point of not preordering in future and reading forum posts until several weeks after released before buying future AC series products. Any hint of future Companion apps, helix credits and other such BS and I simply won't buy the product - and I've bought everything since AC1 including Ubi's previous technically worst game, 'AC: LIberation', before ACU claimed that title.

RVSage
12-02-2014, 10:42 PM
TBH, I can't recommend ACU to anyone while many (including myself) can't progress beyond Sequence 7.2 because of Ubi's shoddy implementation. If only half the (main) game is accessible, why shouldn't we pay only half price for it?

I agree with the OP that revolutionary Paris is a 'wow', esp. so many detailed interiors. The city--and many of the characters in the main plotline--are unique and evocative of this era. The murder mysteries were a clever reference to Poe/Eugene Sue and the Nostradamus enigmas a way of forcing you to read the in-game encyclopaedia and use your brain, whereas AC2 series glyph puzzles essentially forced you to turn cryptographer (tough on us non-mathematicians!).

Many of my gripes will be familiar--the Companion app and disgraceful introduction of helix credits, the brokenness of other online play, and the continuous technical shoddiness and glitching--but I want to mention a couple of particulars that I haven't seen often commented on:

1) Almost all the side missions are ludicrously easy. Once you have levelled up equipment through social club income, Arno is unbeatable and stealth goes out the window. All you lose in steamrollering through heists, for example, is bonus money and the clubs are bringing that in anyway, Set-piece brawls that end up with a dozen or more guards killed each time become common - good for rapidly clearing out areas... Even the toughest 5* missions are blown away in short order by standing off on a rooftop and systematically shooting down everyone in sight, hiding until reset if return fire gets too hot. Then walk in afterwards for the goodies. I did every side mission available before starting Sequence 3, just to illustrate how unbalanced ACU is here and, TBH, found many of these missions very, very same-ish.

2) With laggy, low-end computers like mine, the lock-picking minigame is impossible at apprentice level and fails 2/3 of the time at journeyman level, especially when multiple tumblers are involved. Which means some missions/sync points/chests remain inaccessible until the end of Sequence 9 when master locksmith skill can be bought. It's not that I'm being impatient - just that Silversmith mission mid-sequence 5 requires four doors to be picked to get 100% sync for it - when you're apprentice locksmith at best then. Only way of getting 100% sync here is to replay mission when you are better skilled - onerous, to say the least.

ACU strikes me as highly ambitious and promising - but seriously spoiled by being rushed into production before it was complete and completely tested. An EA-style business model is not acceptable to me - which is a prime reason why I bought Ubisoft products instead. I feel my confidence in Ubi has been taken advantage of with ACU and will make a point of not preordering in future and reading forum posts until several weeks after released before buying future AC series products. Any hint of future Companion apps, helix credits and other such BS and I simply won't buy the product - and I've bought everything since AC1 including Ubi's previous technically worst game, 'AC: LIberation', before ACU claimed that title.

Totally valid points.. Hope they are back with a bang in the next installment, with all our view points considered

RVSage
12-02-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm happy playing the historical parts, I'm not really keen on the immersion breaking modern parts where you stop after a major sea battle with an elite warship to take a parcel from the office to a courier in the lobby (even though it is quite clever). I think IMHO they have made us subject 19... instead of having a modern protagonist leaving his desk to go to another and hack (play a game) we use the companion or initiates to get further in the game, great for me as I can skip all that and stay as an assassin. I'm sure Juno and the others will resurface again when an appropriate story line is ready. And again just my opinion but I feel as though the amount of work they have put in to Unity maybe some things were edited out and the story line may have been shortened in order to meet the deadline....

But I think that now they have got Unity as a next gen basis... next year will not only be graphically stunning but the story line and intertwined plots will all be back.

I hope they are back on track in the next game too...let's see fingers crossed

fido9dido
12-02-2014, 10:53 PM
/agree, the story sucks and the gameplay too.

Altair1789
12-02-2014, 11:20 PM
I agree with you. I wish they worked longer on the story though, I'd have been fine with taking a huge step back in graphics if it would mean an actual story. I hope the next game actually has a story, and please Ubisoft, I know Arno is a lot like Ezio but I really don't want another game with Arno

similarly
12-06-2014, 01:21 AM
I think this is an excellent review. Very thorough and organized. I have just about finished the game, and rather than start a new thread, I'd like to just add to this thread my thoughts and suggestions.

LOCK PICKING
Difficulty Levels = Good. Three was a good number.
Mechanics = Needs Improvement. Lock picking shouldn't be an intense, twitchy, stop-on-a-bar deal. It should be careful and methodical.

PRICES
Weapons Prices = reasonable. As you level up, you can afford better.
Consumables = WAY over-priced. I spend more money on lock picks than I get from the chests I just unlocked. At higher levels, with better equipment, I can easily spend over 5,000 bucks on consumables.

ENEMIES
Sound draws enemies = good.
block and counter = good.
a dozen enemies at a time ... not so good.
shooters = BAD. Being surrounded by shooters who NEVER miss, when dodge is only marginally effective, and there's no human shield mechanic creates an extreme vulnerability. I like that musket balls are lethal. Cool. Just let me have a defense of SOME kind. They fire too often, they fire too quickly, they are too accurate.

MISSIONS
Fewer follow / eavesdrop missions: GOOD. ACIV spammed us with those and I got really tired of them.
Onion pealing location: GOOD. I love have to work a site for a while, stealthily taking out guards one at a time, clearing rooftops, windows and balconies and working my way inwards.
Spamming Onion pealing missions: needs improvement. Try not to have so many places where I have to reach the center of an area to steal an item or kill somebody and have to work past 50-70 guards to do it. A few times: AWESOME. All the time: I start wishing for a different mission.

EXTRAS
Companion APP: time consuming and not so interesting. Too much time investment for too little reward. I realize you needed SOMETHING to replace ship missions, but this wasn't it. Maybe you could have worked up a network of spies, assassins, messengers and arms dealers and made money off that?

Initiates: poor synchronization. frustrating.

Club competitions: frustratingly nonexistent.

I find myself wishing I could just unlock all the stuff you've locked away behind uninteresting or non-functional gimmicks.