PDA

View Full Version : UBISOFT, Hear Me Out, A New Attitude Towards Collectibles

Conniving_Eagle
11-30-2014, 08:14 PM
My most recent hours on Assassin's Creed Unity have been spent obtaining chests, and man is it a grind! There's almost 300 in the game! And I haven't even started the Cockades or other stuff. But, as a completionist and a Platinum trophy Hunter, it is something I must endure.

Assassin's Creed 4 also had a lot of mindless collectibles to monotonously attain, but the big difference between the two games is how it's presented. In AC4, it is paced very well. You arrive at an island, there's six chests, three animus fragments, a treasure chest, a view point, and some unique wild life to hunt. You do some free-running, critter-shooting, climbing, and map-tracing to collect everything. You had a decent time. In Assassin's Creed Unity, it hits you in the face full force. Here's this giant-*** city, this is the whole game, it's got 300 chests, several dozen side missions, 100 cockades, 20 Nostradamus Enigmas (I'm rounding off here) and more! It's overwhelming. And without the kind of progression that Black Flag had it becomes boring and tedious very quickly.

I'd like to suggest a new way of approaching collectibles in the game. Now first off, I'd like to say that to an extent I can understand why they did this. They created a huge city that they wanted to pack with content, they didn't want Paris to be at all sparse or lacking. But how about instead of having all these useless collectibles, we have fewer, but more meaningful ones? For example, instead of having 40 Chests in a district that you just walk up to and unlock, maybe sometimes pick the lock, we knock that number down to 10, but make obtaining each chest a unique experience. One will be in a restricted area infested by guards behind a locked door (we have some instances of this in Unity). Another will need a key in which case you'll have to hunt down and pickpocket the key holder. For another chest, the key might be in the hands of a thief that you'll have to beat in a race in order to obtain it. One chest might be in plain sight, but you'll get jumped by thugs and thrown into a fist-fight after you open it. One might be on the way to a very high view point. Things like that.

Please, if you agree with me, I'd ask you to support this thread in hopes that someone from Ubisoft catches wind and passes it on. Because for myself and other players I'm sure, this takes out a lot of potential enjoyment with the game.

nachdenki
12-01-2014, 01:50 AM
couldn't agree more and that's basically all I can say. Make content meaningful, either by great rewards or by a great experience in playing it. Otherwise the content becomes pointless.

MakimotoJin
12-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Well I haven't played Unity,but I got 14 Viking swords,24 maps,had to search for 24 Templar treasures,and 7 native totems for some stupid outfits that I'm never going to use.So I guess I feel a bit of your pain.(I'm also a Platinum trophy hunter,that's why I had to do it)

Corleone-Kun
12-01-2014, 03:23 AM
I know what you mean. At least in the older games you unlocked outifits and all but not even that anymore. I think they did great with the Assassin Seals in 2. Fun parkour only levels (also something I miss very much) that unlocked the most powerfull (and cool) armor in the game)

SixKeys
12-01-2014, 04:15 AM
The difference between AC4 and Unity's collectibles as you describe it doesn't exist. AC4 has tons of collectibles just sat on tiny sandbanks with nothing else on them. So if you were intent on collecting all of them, you had to sail across the map and stop every few minutes, get off your ship, swim to the island, collect the collectible and swim back. Rinse and repeat.

With that said, I'm all for reducing the number of collectibles AND making them more meaningful.

w3lshy_24
12-01-2014, 04:27 AM
My most recent hours on Assassin's Creed Unity have been spent obtaining chests, and man is it a grind! There's almost 300 in the game! And I haven't even started the Cockades or other stuff. But, as a completionist and a Platinum trophy Hunter, it is something I must endure.

Assassin's Creed 4 also had a lot of mindless collectibles to monotonously attain, but the big difference between the two games is how it's presented. In AC4, it is paced very well. You arrive at an island, there's six chests, three animus fragments, a treasure chest, a view point, and some unique wild life to hunt. You do some free-running, critter-shooting, climbing, and map-tracing to collect everything. You had a decent time. In Assassin's Creed Unity, it hits you in the face full force. Here's this giant-*** city, this is the whole game, it's got 300 chests, several dozen side missions, 100 cockades, 20 Nostradamus Enigmas (I'm rounding off here) and more! It's overwhelming. And without the kind of progression that Black Flag had it becomes boring and tedious very quickly.

I'd like to suggest a new way of approaching collectibles in the game. Now first off, I'd like to say that to an extent I can understand why they did this. They created a huge city that they wanted to pack with content, they didn't want Paris to be at all sparse or lacking. But how about instead of having all these useless collectibles, we have fewer, but more meaningful ones? For example, instead of having 40 Chests in a district that you just walk up to and unlock, maybe sometimes pick the lock, we knock that number down to 10, but make obtaining each chest a unique experience. One will be in a restricted area infested by guards behind a locked door (we have some instances of this in Unity). Another will need a key in which case you'll have to hunt down and pickpocket the key holder. For another chest, the key might be in the hands of a thief that you'll have to beat in a race in order to obtain it. One chest might be in plain sight, but you'll get jumped by thugs and thrown into a fist-fight after you open it. One might be on the way to a very high view point. Things like that.

Please, if you agree with me, I'd ask you to support this thread in hopes that someone from Ubisoft catches wind and passes it on. Because for myself and other players I'm sure, this takes out a lot of potential enjoyment with the game.

I just dunno where to freaking start.

Anykeyer
12-01-2014, 08:03 AM
ACU has districts. Think of them as islands. Problem solved.

nachdenki
12-01-2014, 09:10 AM
ACU has districts. Think of them as islands. Problem solved.

The difference is that you can visit any district from the beginning of the game, but you can't visit any island from the beginning of black flag. In Black Flag, the world unfolds. In Unity, its just there, deal with it.

Anykeyer
12-01-2014, 09:36 AM
World unfolds? Seriously? You can get anywhere almost from the start. And no matter where you get you'll see the same stupid coconut island. View point, chest, animus fragment. some pigs running around. I bet they broke at least some keyboards while developing AC4, mainly ctrl, c and v buttons.

ChipFoamy
12-01-2014, 02:37 PM
eh by the time I beat the main game I only had like 30 cockades left and 72 chests left. It's much easier to open and collect as you go in this game as opposed to previous ones where you had to go out of your way..

Cockades I just slammed they were easy enough.

I then broke up the chests by district and every time I finished a district I'd complete a heist to break it up. By the time I was done it was 2 trophies within 5 minutes of each other for the plat.

deskpe
12-01-2014, 02:40 PM
There are way too many collectibles in this game yes. And they do lack fun..

Shahkulu101
12-01-2014, 04:19 PM
World unfolds? Seriously? You can get anywhere almost from the start. And no matter where you get you'll see the same stupid coconut island. View point, chest, animus fragment. some pigs running around. I bet they broke at least some keyboards while developing AC4, mainly ctrl, c and v buttons.
Lol you do have a point. The enviroments in AC4 were all far too similar, albeit very nice to look at.

DeanOMiite
12-01-2014, 04:59 PM
To most of this post, I say BRAVO! My only real disagreement is that I enjoy chasing tons of collectibles only because this gives me a chance to see more of the city. I love reading all of the database entries and really get a lot out of that. Of course...that being said, there's no reason that a "less is more" approach to collectibles can't also accomplish this goal. I also think they are REALLY onto something with the Nostradamus riddles. I'm exploring the city, learning the landscape, and all that stuff and I'm doing so without looking up online guides and I'm getting TONS of enjoyment out of it. Very rewarding to decipher the clues without any help, would love to see more of this.

Overall though OP...yeah, I'm with you. More meaningful/challenging collectibles, even if it's fewer of them.

Conniving_Eagle
12-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Well I haven't played Unity,but I got 14 Viking swords,24 maps,had to search for 24 Templar treasures,and 7 native totems for some stupid outfits that I'm never going to use.So I guess I feel a bit of your pain.(I'm also a Platinum trophy hunter,that's why I had to do it)

I didn't think Rogue was that bad, at least compared to Unity, but that's because of the difference in size between the two games.

LoyalACFan
12-08-2014, 05:39 AM
AC4's collectibles maybe weren't as overwhelming, but they were just as stupid (maybe even more so) than Unity's. Docking my ship, diving into the water, swimming to a sandbank, and opening a chest that gives me 50R is not even close to being worth my time. Even in the very early stages of the game, that amount of money is completely meaningless. The chests are just there to tick off of your completion checklist, they served no real purpose in the game. And don't even get me started on Animus fragments.

But yes, Unity does have far too much useless side "content," so much that I made a huge thread about it a few weeks ago. At this point, I'm so frustrated with collectibles (in all games, not just AC) that I wouldn't mind seeing them die out completely. Running to a map marker and walking over a floating orb that doesn't do anything is not compelling gameplay, it never has been and it never will be.

MakimotoJin
12-08-2014, 05:59 AM
I didn't think Rogue was that bad, at least compared to Unity, but that's because of the difference in size between the two games.

Don't get me wrong,I loved Rogue.My point is they tried to add to much,in little time.Short story,and tons of collectibles?Eh...I'd rather have the opposite.I just wish they could've had more time.Add more things.End the last-gen with a explosion of rainbow,not a usual Assassin's Creed.

Spikey1989
12-08-2014, 08:51 AM
they add the collectibles to keep ous playing cause it becomes a much longer game to completed then, if u just play the main story u ahve done with the game in a matter of 1-3 days tops. now they have u locked to collect everything, they dont force u do to it it just additional content like a dlc. but u get it a launch.