PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity not large address aware?

Kamamura
11-30-2014, 04:43 PM
The game seems to address at most 2,5GB memory, even when there is still 3GB of memory on a 8GB memory Win7 64bit system, while exhibiting heavy I/O load.

Creating an application that uses huge, multi GB texture pools and than failing to address all the available RAM is really a shame. No doubt everyone complains about poor performance, because unless you have a really fast I/O device like an SSD disk or a RAM disk, it will always be a bottle neck.

Does Ubisoft have any comment or plans to mend this glaring flaw?

InViz0
12-01-2014, 04:28 AM
The game seems to address at most 2,5GB memory, even when there is still 3GB of memory on a 8GB memory Win7 64bit system, while exhibiting heavy I/O load.

Creating an application that uses huge, multi GB texture pools and than failing to address all the available RAM is really a shame. No doubt everyone complains about poor performance, because unless you have a really fast I/O device like an SSD disk or a RAM disk, it will always be a bottle neck.

Does Ubisoft have any comment or plans to mend this glaring flaw?

If you do not have an SSD by this point you shouldn't expect to play 2014 AAA games or newer (even 2012 and later)

But I too have noticed the low memory consumption, it also could just be that the game is heavily video dependent, wouldn't surprise me if a lot of things are being rendered there instead of the CPU/RAM.

Anykeyer
12-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Unity is 64 bit app, LAA is 32 bit thing. If ACU doesnt use all your RAM its because it doesnt need to.

topeira1980
12-01-2014, 10:40 AM
If you do not have an SSD by this point you shouldn't expect to play 2014 AAA games or newer (even 2012 and later)
i dont have SSD drive and every single game works on more than 50 fps on very high settings on my R9 280. including sahdow of mordor, far cry 4, COD:AW or what have you.

just not ACU.

though i have no idewa about the memory issue.

Kamamura
12-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Well, let's start with the basics, since some of the clueless answers indicate it's necessary.

ACU has takes 45 GB of data on disk, and it's safe to presume that most of it is graphical data - textures, normal maps, bump maps, tessellation data and whatnot. As your character runs through the world and new objects pop up on the screen, very particular subsets of these data must be delivered to the GPU to be rendered, as fast as possible. There are three sources from which the data can be taken, sorted by speed:

Video RAM (VRAM) >> Conventional RAM >> Disk storage.

Obviously, graphic cards have increasing amounts of VRAM just because it's the fastest storage available, so the best situation is that the requested object is already stored in VRAM. However, most cards have 4GB max nowadays, so it's not always possible. So the next best place where to store it is RAM - and that's why the game absolutely NEEDS to allocate as much RAM as possible, because precaching large amount of data means it can be quickly supplied to VRAM and to the GPU when necessary. Optimally, whole game should be loaded to RAM, but with ACU, it's just not possible.

The game needs to guess which data will be accessed in the near future and must preemptively move it from dist to RAM or VRAM so that there is no delay when it must be actually rendered. Large RAM cache helps immensely in this, so the fact that the game does not even make effort to allocate all available resources indicates tremendously poor optimization - or limits from legacy code, like rudiments of a 32bit engine.

And it runs very poorly indeed, constantly accessing the I/O, as you can see for yourself. I of course have an SSD disk, but SSD storage is expensive and most even very modern games like Watchdogs of Shadow of Mordor are able to cache necessary assets in RAM without needing to access disks all the time.

ACU even exhibits moments of freezes spanning several seconds, where the prefetch system obviously totally fails and the data must be rearranged at the expense of stopping the game altogether.

Anykeyer
12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
You still didnt explain what LAA has to do with all this.

BladeUK606
12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
You still didnt explain what LAA has to do with all this.

Nothing really!

LAA is for 32 bit OS which are normally limited to 2GB RAM per process, LAA can give it 4GB. On 64 bit OS's the max is 16TB, and since the minimum requirement is a 64 bit OS, I don't see the point in the original question.

And InViz0 an SSD is not needed to run an AAA game in 2014, as already stated VRAM and RAM should be used first, enough of this and game optimised to do so will use them, and performance will not be impacted, although loading times may. Either way an SSD is not needed as you have implied.

All.Names.Taken
12-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Oh, for Pete's sake. The garbage people post on the internet is astounding sometimes. :rolleyes:

Lignjoslav
12-02-2014, 10:22 PM
^^Amen.

The game uses plenty more RAM, it just doesn't show as taken by ACU.exe for whatever reason. If you Aly+Tab out of the game and look at the leftover free RAM in Task Monitor, you'll see a lot of it unaccounted for.