PDA

View Full Version : AC: Black Flag or Unity for first AC game?

Spectro889
11-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi all!

I'm planning to get my first AC game next month as I've been interested in the series and the games in terms of its gameplay and story looks amazing. (I'm very late, I know)

AC: Black Flag has been a game I've been interested in since they released those teaser/feature trailers, and the gameplay about being able to be a pirate and sail your own ship in the open sea is brilliant! Plus I've really liked how the combat mechanics of AC games have looked seeing the gameplay videos uploaded. (I'm just interested in being a pirate and playing the game for fun)

The only issue I'm facing is whether to get Black Flag and Freedom Cry (though again, I'm really late as they released last year.), or I should get the new AC: Unity that released this month instead? AC: Unity looks pretty good, but due to all the bugs reported and negative reviews, I'm leaning more towards getting AC: Black Flag...
(won't really help but will put here anyway; I'm getting the PS4 version)

Any opinions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Jackdaw951
11-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Black Flag, without hesitation. For one thing, it behaves well technically. Unity is an unfinished mess right now. Give Ubisoft time to finish what they started. For another, Black Flag is open and exciting, with many locations, most of the smaller ones accessible seamlessly through the open seas. The naval combat is not to be missed. The feeling of freedom is exhilarating. Unity, for all its huge scope in Paris and vicinity, feels more constricted.

Spikey1989
11-30-2014, 02:40 PM
i would say get the first Assassins creed game first and then play thourg then all.-

but if i have to choose between BF and Unity. go for BF.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-30-2014, 02:43 PM
AC1. Start at the beginning.

Spectro889
11-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Black Flag, without hesitation. For one thing, it behaves well technically. Unity is an unfinished mess right now. Give Ubisoft time to finish what they started. For another, Black Flag is open and exciting, with many locations, most of the smaller ones accessible seamlessly through the open seas. The naval combat is not to be missed. The feeling of freedom is exhilarating. Unity, for all its huge scope in Paris and vicinity, feels more constricted.

Thank you for the super quick reply Jackdaw951!

It's disappointing to hear how Unity turned out, it looked to be a great game considering it was a next-gen exclusive and the new features added in were nice. (the improved parkour system, biggest AC game in terms of its map and etc.)

Black Flag as you said, still looks to be much more better. Naval combat and the beautiful sceneries, the combat and reviews are really good, and just the idea of sailing the open-sea, exploring the Caribbean with freedom to go ahead and do anything you want (jump and swim in the sea, find treasures, go harpooning...) just makes Black Flag even more exciting to play.

Anyway, thank you once again for your great answer Jackdaw951, Black Flag is most likely going to be the game I'm getting.

i would say get the first Assassins creed game first and then play thourg then all.-

but if i have to choose between BF and Unity. go for BF.

I would start from AC1, but I got rid of my last-gen console (PS3) in order to get my PS4, plus my PC is terrible. (heck, it's not even a PC. It's a netbook), so its performance to run games is rubbish. (shocking, but true)

If anything, I'll watch gameplay of the previous AC games to understand what the story of AC is and all about it etc. Thanks anyway! :)

Spikey1989
11-30-2014, 03:02 PM
reason to start with AC1 is to get use to controlls and get the feeling of the game, that way fights will be easier and easier the futher in the game serise u get. i had no problems at all with the new fights in Unity ;)

Dr_Manhattan123
11-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Black Flag. Looks to me like 3 patches in Unity still has a worse framerate on PS4 than Black Flag on Wii U! If you can pick Black Flag up cheaply, I think Freedom Cry is still on sale on PS Store until end of today. Have a look. Might be cheaper, unless you can get a deal on Jackdaw Edition and/or you want the whole season pass.

Jackdaw951
11-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Thank you for the super quick reply Jackdaw951!

It's disappointing to hear how Unity turned out, it looked to be a great game considering it was a next-gen exclusive and the new features added in were nice. (the improved parkour system, biggest AC game in terms of its map and etc.)

Black Flag as you said, still looks to be much more better. Naval combat and the beautiful sceneries, the combat and reviews are really good, and just the idea of sailing the open-sea, exploring the Caribbean with freedom to go ahead and do anything you want (jump and swim in the sea, find treasures, go harpooning...) just makes Black Flag even more exciting to play.

Anyway, thank you once again for your great answer Jackdaw951, Black Flag is most likely going to be the game I'm getting.

. . .

You're welcome. :) Yes, the parkour is somewhat improved. Fast descent is so welcome. But it still desperately--desperately--needs an exclusive-run button. (Don't jump; don't climb; just run.) And the frustrating too-clingy or too-quick-to-jump-into-death issues are not much improved either. The latter in particular is frustrating in Unity. See haystack, jump toward haystack, land feet first into desynchronization. There seems to be no way to be sure if it's going to work. I know it's called a "leap of faith" for a reason, but it was never this bad in previous games. Death can happen even when leaping from piles of pigeon droppings, something that was never the case before. I aim very carefully at haystacks too--much more than in other AC games, after learning the hard way how finicky it can get here.

In short, I would not buy Unity based on how much parkour has improved. It's still basically traditional AC, with an extra climb-downward function.

Rafe Harwood
11-30-2014, 05:48 PM

As much as I hate agreeing with the pr0mdate, you should start at the start and enjoy the thing in sequence.

Yoiu will love it ;)

rob1990312
11-30-2014, 05:53 PM
unity is more similar to previous ac games whereas black flags is kind of a mesh of assassins creed and far cry with boats, both are good games but since unity is still having technical issues, black flag would be the safer buy

Aphex_Tim
11-30-2014, 05:59 PM
See haystack, jump toward haystack, land feet first into desynchronization. There seems to be no way to be sure if it's going to work. I know it's called a "leap of faith" for a reason, but it was never this bad in previous games. Death can happen even when leaping from piles of pigeon droppings, something that was never the case before. I aim very carefully at haystacks too--much more than in other AC games, after learning the hard way how finicky it can get here.

Just hold O instead of X.

polleke1970
11-30-2014, 06:10 PM
You're welcome. :) Yes, the parkour is somewhat improved. Fast descent is so welcome. But it still desperately--desperately--needs an exclusive-run button. (Don't jump; don't climb; just run.) And the frustrating too-clingy or too-quick-to-jump-into-death issues are not much improved either. The latter in particular is frustrating in Unity. See haystack, jump toward haystack, land feet first into desynchronization. There seems to be no way to be sure if it's going to work. I know it's called a "leap of faith" for a reason, but it was never this bad in previous games. Death can happen even when leaping from piles of pigeon droppings, something that was never the case before. I aim very carefully at haystacks too--much more than in other AC games, after learning the hard way how finicky it can get here.

In short, I would not buy Unity based on how much parkour has improved. It's still basically traditional AC, with an extra climb-downward function.

The current free run system is way to frustrating. Love the game and story line but gave up on it. whenever you need to do something fast you are anything but in controle of your player model.
some examples:
- when sprinting fast over rooftops it will always choose the most difficult and slowest route. the model wants to climb on everything
- To climb through a window. especially when it is needed (quickly before they see you want to sneak in or because a sniper is in the window). good luck with that. it jumps from left frame to right frame to top frame to bottom frame.
- the task you have opening the third door in your armor room. Wow the next grip on the wall is 20 cm away yet Arno nicely ignores all commands untill the puff of smoke blows him of the wall and you can go back to the start . I could have done that one in 4 o 5 tries yet now because of the model being comletely unresponsive it took more like 50 times and a huge amount of frustration!!!
- running through streets, every table he jumps on yet jump of? ' ohhhhh that a scary height let me think it over while my chasers catch up with me!!'
-jump into a haystack, in previous games you would do well to miss them. Now? wow its like trying to land on a stamp while jumping from an airplane.
- Kill a sniper on a balcony. go on the rooftop just above him and press square (PS4) instead of the aerial kill Arno will drop down besides the sniper clinging on the wall for dear life 2 cm above the balcony!!! after some button bashing he finally understands it is safe to let go and you can go on killing the sniper who by than nevertheless saw you and alerted the whole city!! and not once no almost every single time. There is NO need to grab and free run on walls in positions where the player model can stand!!! Ubisoft
This does not only happen on balconies.

When free running there is just never 1 moment where I have the idea that I am in controle and the model follows the orders I enter on the gamepad. It always feels like there is a huge delay and by accident you finally go where you wanted. there is no responsiveness.

Sorry Ubisoft for me the controls on the game are a huge fail!!! try half the commands and possibilities, yet make sure when I tap the button the model does what it is supposed to do (RESPOND) I have given up on this game! I

SearStingray157
12-01-2014, 02:39 AM
Black Flag or Unity ? - I would say either one (at least on XBox One). Doesn't matter, both are great games (in my opinion - clearly I do not share this with a loft of other people on this board).
I started with ACII, and loved it, Played AC II - Brotherhood and Revelation, and enjoyed both, moved to AC III, and didn't finish the game, and finally to Black Flag which at first I did not like, it was just too different from the 'original' AC II, but I must say I ended up really enjoying that game too. Unity is closer to AC II with more focus on stealth and assassination rather than the pirating and naval combat from BF.

There are also lots of complains about the side missions and collectibles. Personally I enjoy this, and have enjoyed it in all AC games. Sometimes I enjoy not being on a mission, but just relax and roam around the 'world' and collect stuff as I come across it. In all AC games there are lots of things to do besides the main mission, some like this, some don't.

Latte10010
12-01-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm 100% for AC Black Flag on PS4!!

Unlike OP, I wasn't interested in Pirates and naval fight at all, but the game was really fun.
The graphic is really beautiful, it's just great, the music is great.
I like season pass, too. Freedam Cry and variety of outfits and decorations for the ship.

AC Unity is now having technical issues. I really don't think they can fix until Xmas.
You don't want to waste your holiday with glitches, crashes on your new PS4, complaining, visiting Technical Support forum everyday...
It's wise to wait a couple more months, then you can buy a stable game at half-price.

SixKeys
12-01-2014, 05:10 AM
If you don't have an old-gen console anymore, you could always get AC1 on PC. It's a 7-year-old game, I'm sure whatever rig you have should be able to run it. I see it going for $3 on Steam all the time. AC2 isn't expensive either.

Fatal-Feit
12-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Either one, but go for AC:IV since its MD provides more background and fan services from the previous titles and Unity still needs a ton more patches.

Rafe Harwood
12-01-2014, 05:30 AM
If you don't have an old-gen console anymore, you could always get AC1 on PC. It's a 7-year-old game, I'm sure whatever rig you have should be able to run it. I see it going for $3 on Steam all the time. AC2 isn't expensive either.

Very good point. Well said that man.

DeanOMiite
12-01-2014, 06:07 AM
If I was picking between Black Flag and Unity, I would absolutely pick Black Flag. Game is an absolute freakin masterpiece...plus it has multiplayer so you might dig that. If it was me though, I'd tell you to read about what happens in AC1 and get the Templar vs Assassin backstory and learn about the Pieces of Eden and the present day elements of the story and then start your actual playing with Assassin's Creed 2. That's still in my opinion the best game in the series. It was my favorite time period, it was my favorite assassin, it took the biggest game-by-game step in the series, it's playable without feeling cumbersome...it's perfect in every sense of the word and is still in my top 5 single player games of all time.

Rafe Harwood
12-01-2014, 06:17 AM
...it's perfect in every sense of the word and is still in my top 5 single player games of all time.

Just out of curiosity, what are the other 4?

UniteUnderPower
12-01-2014, 07:28 AM
AC1 may leave a bad impression on you of the rest of the series. I'd say start at AC2, then play AC1 just to get a bit of backstory(some very important backstory).

SixKeys
12-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Very good point. Well said that man.

Woman, but thanks. ;)

Rafe Harwood
12-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Woman, but thanks. ;)

That explains the Marquis de Sade sig :D

Aphex_Tim
12-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Woman, but thanks. ;)

Mind = blown.
And I've been here for how long now?

Also, why are people suddenly having problems with the leap of faith in Unity? The first time you have to do it, it clearly states you have to hold the high profile button plus the Parkour DOWN button this time, which makes sense. If you hold parkour up while running to a ledge and there's nothing to jump to, Arno will simply stop in his tracks. If you then continue to mash the button, Arno will jump to his death; making it your problem, not the game's.

SixKeys
12-01-2014, 10:31 AM
That explains the Marquis de Sade sig http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/biggrin.png

Why? O_o

Mind = blown.
And I've been here for how long now?

At least I'm not the only one who sometimes gets confused by forum members' gender. :p

Also, why are people suddenly having problems with the leap of faith in Unity? The first time you have to do it, it clearly states you have to hold the high profile button plus the Parkour DOWN button this time, which makes sense. If you hold parkour up while running to a ledge and there's nothing to jump to, Arno will simply stop in his tracks. If you then continue to mash the button, Arno will jump to his death; making it your problem, not the game's.

I don't get it either. I've never had a problem with leap of faith in any game, except AC3 with those stupid trees where you couldn't see the haybale from the top.

Rafe Harwood
12-01-2014, 10:43 AM
I don't get it either. I've never had a problem with leap of faith in any game, except AC3 with those stupid trees where you couldn't see the haybale from the top.

lol I think it's part of the fun of the game, swearing at myself as I flail to my death knowing that I've been a prat.

It's like "Yeah death, come get me. Just wait a minute and I'll hit something."

ace3001
12-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Probably late to this thread, but I'll put in my two cents as well. DEFINITELY BLACK FLAG.

Farlander1991
12-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Also, why are people suddenly having problems with the leap of faith in Unity?

My only problem with Leap of Faith in Unity is that gameplay-wise our first leap of faith is in Versailles while narratvie-wise Arno's first leap of faith is in Bastille. The Versailles view-top thing should've been a pure controlled descent tutorial, no leaps or anything. But that's a minor thing that doesn't have anything to do with problems people are having with LoF :p :D

Spectro889
12-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow everyone... thank you so much for the replies! :D

The majority of you are saying Black Flag, and explaining how Unity still has many bugs/glitches that need fixing and it'll be best to wait until it's stable. I agree with that!

Yeah... it would be a lot more better for me to start right at the beginning of the franchise as many of you said. I'll try to, but if it doesn't work out - I'll at least watch some gameplay of it. (though I won't actually experience the gameplay for real, I'll just be watching someone else play it)

Probably late to this thread, but I'll put in my two cents as well. DEFINITELY BLACK FLAG.

Heh, no it's fine! Thank you for replying!

I might as well ask this, so..
From the people who've played Black Flag (assuming most of you) and have completed the game fully. How long did it take you roughly?
If you count the story, collectibles and other miscellaneous items. To me, considering how I play slow (heck, I'm quite slow at platinuming a game, depending the amount of time I have on it), it may take a number of weeks or such.

SixKeys
12-01-2014, 11:34 PM
My only problem with Leap of Faith in Unity is that gameplay-wise our first leap of faith is in Versailles while narratvie-wise Arno's first leap of faith is in Bastille. The Versailles view-top thing should've been a pure controlled descent tutorial, no leaps or anything. But that's a minor thing that doesn't have anything to do with problems people are having with LoF :p :D

Agreed, but then, I think the only game that has handled leap of faith well narratively was AC1. In all the other ones the characters just automatically knew how to do it without being taught.