PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity - Annoying UI & Frustrating Navigation Feature

Ideal_Logic
11-29-2014, 05:36 PM
As I'm studying to become a game artist and designer, I can't help but notice a very blatant design flaw within the new AC Unity game that are easy to avoid and one that doesn't work as well as it is stated in-game. My goal with this thread is to address such flaws in a polite manner and offer fixes and solutions for Ubisoft.

The first such flaw is within the UI. Every time I started a Murder Mystery or an Enigma, when I got new information for the Case File, if there was ANY pop up stating that something was added to the case file, or a tip (such as lifts), or new money was added to the Cafe Theatre, I got annoyed because I had to wait for the pop up to disappear before I could read any new information of say a clue. It got to the point of immersion breaking as I struggled with it and decided to just hurry and collect all information and review it in the database. I would've much rather taken it slow and immerse myself, analyzing the clues as I got them.
An easy fix would to be to move the pop ups that become in the way somewhere else, the most comfortable being higher above the info plane's top edge.

The second flaw I noticed is the use of the left trigger (I use a gamepad for PC) to enter windows. Many people probably don't use this, and it is a bit finicky with me as I keep tapping it to enter the window, but it doesn't work fully as intended. And many don't know that it can also be used for other environmental navigation other than windows.
I cannot offer a straight forward solution to the manner, but basically hint at work for it would be appreciated.

I hope Ubisoft's AC dev team reads this thread and takes it into consideration. I know it's not on there priorities, but my goal is only to help.

Lignjoslav
11-29-2014, 05:48 PM
As for the murder mysteries, I couldn't agree more. Every time you investigate a clue, the game displays its text with the clue with the "new clue added to database" box on top of it and you have to wait for 5s to get lost. Makes you wonder if they ever playtested the game, at all.

As for the Press some_key (in my case Ctrl) to enter window, I guess that it's a bug, as it just doesn't work for me (which raises the aforementioned question again). Then again, to this day, AC III multiplayer keeps displaying the tip to stun opponents' bodyguards, even though you can't do that by design (it was possible in previous games).

johnsmith145
11-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Not a solution, but holding the enter window button works better for me than just pressing it once.

Jdeadevil
11-29-2014, 06:47 PM
I think one of the biggest errors they've made is to make you climb up or into anything you touch. What was wrong with holding the free-run button? Chase scenes are horrible because of this.

Erfivur
11-29-2014, 10:08 PM
As for the murder mysteries, I couldn't agree more. Every time you investigate a clue, the game displays its text with the clue with the "new clue added to database" box on top of it and you have to wait for 5s to get lost. Makes you wonder if they ever playtested the game, at all.

As for the Press some_key (in my case Ctrl) to enter window, I guess that it's a bug, as it just doesn't work for me (which raises the aforementioned question again). Then again, to this day, AC III multiplayer keeps displaying the tip to stun opponents' bodyguards, even though you can't do that by design (it was possible in previous games).

I tend to hold ctrl when doing it now and it's usually only useful if you've "missed" the window, either accidentally climbed over it or to the side of it.
If you do you can hold Ctrl and the direction of the window instead of shift and you'll shimmy in rather than climb around it, mostly it's not so hard to just climb in without using anyway.

As for the UI I totally agree, can't believe they didn't tweak it for one of the earlier patches.
You can disable those updates in the Options which does have some HUD options available but they tend to be a bit... all or nothing. There's no "discrete" settings that doesn't just out-right disable otherwise useful elements.
To get rid of the messages that are bugging you then you would switch off "Updates", the downside here though is there are some updates(cafe money updates, etc) that are useful to know that I end up missing enough to keep it on, annoying as it is for murder mysteries.

There is a shortcut to disable the hud entirely though, if you hold C or, I think, hold one of the sticks down on a controlpad, the HUD will disappear so you can take a screenshot I guess, I often switch it off now for exploring the city. Ironically though when you do disable it a tooltip comes up for those dreaded 5s again to tell you how to re-enable it. SO allow 5 seconds for all screenshots. :)

(I hope they add a camera mode like Shadow of Mordor had)