PDA

View Full Version : Zero Punctuation Does Unity

Pr0metheus 1962
11-29-2014, 12:37 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9920-Assassins-Creed-Unity-Review

A bit disappointing really. I thought he'd be a lot harsher.

Jackdaw951
11-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Brings tears to my eyes and wheezing to my lungs, as always.

Shahkulu101
11-29-2014, 02:36 PM
If only I could watch on iPad.

What are his main points? Does he hate it or just a little disappointed? Does he claim it's the worst?

VestigialLlama4
11-29-2014, 03:26 PM
If only I could watch on iPad.

What are his main points? Does he hate it or just a little disappointed? Does he claim it's the worst?

http://zeropunctuation.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed:_Unity

A Transcript is up

Pr0metheus 1962
11-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Does he hate it or just a little disappointed? Does he claim it's the worst?

Have you never seen a Zero Punctuation review before? Hate, disappointment and claiming it's bad are what he does when he LIKES a game. It's HOW he hates a game that show what he really thinks of it, and I think he gives Unity way too much credit. He basically focuses on the bugs (which will get fixed), the adverts for online content (an easy mark) and the fact that the game treats its audience like morons (which all AC games do to some extent). He doesn't get into the poor story or the uselessness of the main character or the stereotypical bad guys or the political bias or the fact that it gets the history so wrong.

I think it's one of his most disappointing reviews. But maybe that's because he only has so much time and there's so much wrong with this game - but he didn't even say that.

I suspect he either likes the game (which I cannot understand), or he's enamored with the series in general so feels he can't dislike it as much as he should. Either way, it seems like he's getting soft.

Dev_Anj
11-29-2014, 04:51 PM
He doesn't get into the poor story or the uselessness of the main character or the stereotypical bad guys or the political bias or the fact that it gets the history so wrong.

I suspect he either likes the game (which I cannot understand), or he's enamored with the series in general so feels he can't dislike it as much as he should. Either way, it seems like he's getting soft.

I have another theory. Maybe Yahtzee doesn't care for the story of the game as much as you and VestigalLama4 do. The bugs might be fixed, but they're pretty much one of the most prominent flaws of this game right now, and they do deserve some mocking, considering that it was made by a huge corporation like Ubisoft and had a reported development time of 4 years. The advertisements for online content are again more prominent because they show in some ways how Ubisoft's policy is geared towards making money recklessly without caring about customer satisfaction, yet at the same time it also shows how they're incompetent at that too, since the transactions didn't work until after a week or so. As for the game treating the audience like morons, maybe he points that out because it's more prominent here with the wrong history and bias towards the monarchy?

I don't think he likes the game to be honest, it has been the target of jokes and criticism for quite a while. I feel in some ways the game is also representative of how Ubisoft's ambition and quality is being undercut by the bad attitude towards its franchises.

Altair1789
12-07-2014, 11:17 PM
I loved it. Coulda been harsher though, still gave me a laugh

JustPlainQuirky
12-08-2014, 02:06 AM
I'm so glad Yahtzee pinned down the garbage that is forced transmedia and the lackluster character that is Arno.

Derp43
12-08-2014, 02:15 AM
lackluster character that is Arno.

"For starters, I kinda liked that the main character..."

JustPlainQuirky
12-08-2014, 02:18 AM
"For starters, I kinda liked that the main character..."

lackluster in the sense that he is eerily similar to Ezio, I.E. not offering much in terms of a new protagonist.

Derp43
12-08-2014, 02:21 AM
lackluster in the sense that he is eerily similar to Ezio, I.E. not offering much in terms of a new protagonist.

Here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/12695-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Plot-Holes-Plague-Arno-s-Character

JustPlainQuirky
12-08-2014, 02:27 AM
Here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/12695-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Plot-Holes-Plague-Arno-s-Character

Oh this is interesting. Didn't see that.

I'll give it a read.

Edit:

"because ever since he died (oh yeah, spoiler alert: he died) the overarching plot has been going nowhere fast. Black Flag was almost trolling us in this regard: the future plot spent the whole game pretending to be going somewhere, and then at the end it was all like "Psyche! Nothing happens." "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es

SixKeys
12-08-2014, 12:34 PM
"Ostensibly we are being shown the events of Arno's life in order to persuade us to the Assassin cause, but I was of the understanding that being an Assassin is a hereditary thing, you have to have the special gene that lets you see the magic writing on the wall, they don't enlist random plebs. And I find something very suspect about the way they inform you that, by viewing their material, you will be a member of the Assassins, no argument. It reminded me of that rather obnoxious habit of certain social justice types to attempt to dictate to people what interest groups they have to belong to. This seems like a very efficient way to spill all your order's secrets and recruit potentially disloyal members."

Hah, this was my problem as well. This is exactly what happens when people are just expected to keep up with modern day through Initiates. On the website they kinda-sorta explained this with William and the others agreeing to recruit people who are ostensibly already Initiates, but that makes things real confusing for the people who didn't follow all that stuff (and now it's not on the website anymore, so no way to catch up). Are we already halfway assassins before we're contacted or are we just random shmucks playing a video game? If we're pretending to not know anything about the assassins/Templars, why would we agree to help this person who just hacked our game? They really just needed to pick a scenario and stick with it. Either we're regular joes or we're secret agents. Pick one.