PDA

View Full Version : My beta review! :)

purpleantilope
11-28-2014, 10:20 PM
The crew beta review

After reading up on all the available information and playing the open beta here are my thoughts and impression on the major aspects of the game. Keep in mind that I have played the PS4 version and these are my opinions, I was not paid or rewarded in any way by Ubisoft of by developers. * Did my best with the English 

Handling
The handling seems to be one of the most criticised parts of the game. It seems to me that people don't get what the game is at its core. It is not trying to compete with other racing sims, it wants to be something new, a driving mmorpg. Now I use this term very lightly since most of the rpg and mmo elements are diluted but are still there. The rpg elements are tied in with the handling so the more you level up the more your handling will improve. There is a learning curve to the driving I must admit, it will not please everyone but there is always an option available to tweak the driving to your liking. All in all handling is what it should be for a driving MMORPG.

Story/gameplay

Well first thing that surprised me in this game was the story. Now I know some people think of it as being too simple and linear (what we seen too far) but people have to take in consideration almost every racing game doesn't have a proper story mode making this well appreciated bonus! The story guides you to important aspects of the game that will surely help you along the way. Of course it is mostly optional since you can choose to do pvp and other side missions or simply free roam with friends. The skill challenges are strategically placed along the road so you can do them while free roaming winning new parts as you drive. With factions and the monthly faction wars being added with the full release i doubt someone will get bored quickly with all the possibilities the game has to offer. Factions to me look like the most interesting part of this game.

Graphics
This part is a tricky one. Now to me the graphics look good, not over the top awesome but good. Do they look like **** like some people say, no. There is so much going around you i think this is a very reasonable quality of graphic for a AAA title. For those looking for a game with graphics that will blow you away you may be disappointed but in the end graphics doesn't make a game, the full experience does!

The map
This is my favorite part and what made this a must buy for me. The recreation of the united-states is simply amazing. It may not be a 1 to 1 scale but I think it’s for the best since boring filler roads are avoided. Best part is that there are no invisible barriers. Driving across the map toke me 45 minutes. Try doing it with a dirt spec car on anything but roads and it will be way longer! Seeing Las Vegas from a far at night is simply amazing. Driving in the snowy mountains of the Yellowstone national park also amazing! Driving the beaches of Miami amazing! Well I think you get the point! There is so much to see that just exploring the map could take weeks!

Negatives
The game is a must buy for me but some things I don’t like! The number one thing is the option to pay for cars with real money. Season pass can fly by me, everyone does it! Paying for cars no. I know it’s only optional and you in no way need to have it but it should not exist in a AAA title game that already has a season pass. The other thing is the weather system. I believe it is planned to be implemented later on after release. Now this to me screams unfinished. Driving at night on the wet road and rainy roads would be amazing. It’s just too bad it isn't there at release.

All around and verdict
This game has lots of potential from simply playing the beta. Considering this is only a small part of the actual game there is huge value and potential for this title! For once i think we have a full game that isn’t chopped up and sold into pieces like most other titles today do. With the developers promising to add free content the game can only get better with time!

If you ask me this is a must buy game for anyone who has interest in cars, exploring and racing games!

See you on the roads!! And let me know what you think of the game!?!

Purpleantilope

Sniper-NLN
11-29-2014, 12:39 AM
Good points, mostly written things concur with my own thoughts. Don't understand how YOU feel about handling. You immediately started to defend it, but lost your opinion in the process. So? :)

I have not seen the console graphics by myself, can't judge only by streams and videos obviously. But what I saw on my monitor in PC Beta, I liked it! Yeah, nothing stunning by parts, but how it looks as a whole picture. What the game is doing great - creating amazing atmosphere.

As for microtransactions, can't say I love them, but if its really just pay for TIME, than fine.

See you on the roads too, ...or mountains.. or forests.. or open field.. ;)

purpleantilope
11-29-2014, 02:12 AM
I have no problems with the handling myself. I think every game has the right to be different the the next. You feel the weight of the cars in the hanlding which i like. Glad to hear that the PC version looks promising also !! :D

Sniper-NLN
11-29-2014, 08:11 AM
I am eager to see how handling is improved after PC betas, as that was in patch notes. But I liked as it was too.

superkootje
11-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, I think I'm going to choose the crew for my free game (ACU season Pass owners will know what I mean).
But only because I don't really like far cry. The handling is a kind of a turn down for me, also the graphics aren't that great, but I care about the handling more.

romnil
11-29-2014, 06:23 PM
It is not trying to compete with other racing sims, it wants to be something new, a driving mmorpg. Now I use this term very lightly since most of the rpg and mmo elements are diluted but are still there. The rpg elements are tied in with the handling so the more you level up the more your handling will improve. There is a learning curve to the driving I must admit, it will not please everyone but there is always an option available to tweak the driving to your liking. All in all handling is what it should be for a driving MMORPG.

You have no idea what roleplay means it seems. It has nothing to do with this game what so ever.
Roleplay handeling ??? excuse me? roleplay is acting. Role-playing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing)
RP has nothing to do with this game except perhaps you use the mics and roleplay by saying forexample: "Thanks for the great race bob. I am out do because i run a flat tire. and my spare is at my garage" rather then ("i have to stop playing someone is at the door")

The massive multiplayer part is also very relative as you will see only (correct me if i am wrong) about 8 people around you in your instance (alldo they hopefully increase that by the time i start playing) So don't expect to see hundred players driving around you. (like for example in world of warcraft cities)
It's multiplayer but massive? they are on the same server but due to the instance limit they may as well be on the moon.

purpleantilope
11-29-2014, 07:10 PM
No need to get cranky sir :P I am only saying what the developers are shooting for. THEY said they where trying to make a MMORPG feel to the game not me. I also said i was using the term very lightly. I hope you know what lightly means? They use RPG not in the way of acting and all that but more with the leveling up aspect that most Modern RPG's take these days. You are allowed to have your opinion and say its **** but its what they are aiming for!

Th3AlphaOmega
11-30-2014, 04:06 AM
you made some good points dude but there is one thing that I have to go against right now seeing as all we had was a beta.

The graphics(xbox one) looked beautiful I know yes the cars looked like they came out of NFS Rivals but if you go and look outside of Detroit you'll find some beautiful scenes. I went to Niagra Falls and it was amazing(western New York little depressed not to find buffalo) and then went and found Las Vegas at like 3AM(Game Time) to find the strip fully light and just amazing.

You missed the fast travel system but I can tell you it is awesome it isn't like Forza or NFS where outposts are everywhere and you can do it for free. I checked real life prices for out of season tickets on planes and trains and yes Ubisoft you guys nailed it(I would love to have a shifting system for like the different times of the year but can't have everything) but the pay for travel is awesome and it isn't like fast travel where you haven't gone for free. so overall A- for my grade system it's near that perfect mark but DLC and updates will probably reach out to all of our issues