PDA

View Full Version : My review(s) of Assassin's Creed: Rogue - the Good, the Bad, and the Assassiny

Charles_Phipps
11-28-2014, 03:34 AM
Hey folks,

I thought people would be interested in my Assassin's Creed: Rogue reviews. I divided them into spoiler and non-spoiler reviews as I'm want to do with games I like the storylines of.

Non-Spoiler Rogue Review (http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/11/assassins-creed-rogue-non-spoiler-review.html)

Spoiler Rogue-Review (http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/11/assassins-creed-rogue-spoiler-review.html)

Overall, I think Assassin's Creed: Rogue is really-really good. I love Shay, the setting, the storytelling, and the fact I can play the game with only the occasional bug (like getting stuck in scenery). I really think this should have been Assassin's Creed V and we could have built from it until Unity. Unfortunately, the game is far-far too short and needs a couple of DLC like AC2 to flesh it out to the point it "feels" complete. The Siege of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities added a lot to AC2 and something similar with the French and Indian War would be good for this game.

Sadly, I feel we barely got to know the characters before they started dropping like flies.

Still, I gave it a 10 out of 10 because I hold AC to a standard which the rest of the industry can barely keep up with.

MakimotoJin
11-28-2014, 03:38 AM
Well,I can't give Rogue a 10 outta 10,because of some flaws that have been during the whole franchise,but that's a very good review there.

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 03:54 AM
Enio Moricone doing the score... now that sounds awesome!

Charles_Phipps
11-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Well,I can't give Rogue a 10 outta 10,because of some flaws that have been during the whole franchise,but that's a very good review there.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think Shay's story may not be over either but I LOVED the handling of the programmer from Black Flag.

Despite having NO spoken lines or even a body, I think they had a good story arc.

MontrossXGMR
11-28-2014, 10:16 AM
I thought Rogue was a great game except for the fact that the main story is WAY too short....which is a shame because there was so much potential for a great story and character development.

Shay is also now my favorite Assassin Creed Protagonist. I feel like he is very down to earth in his motivations and he seems like a good guy in regards to his morality.He is also a bad***

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Shay is also now my favorite Assassin Creed Protagonist. I feel like he is very down to earth in his motivations and he seems like a good guy in regards to his morality.He is also a bad***

Kind of why I like Connor ;)

nswidan
11-28-2014, 11:32 AM
10/10? Really? 10/10? So you're telling me this game is perfect? This game is close to being as good as GTA5 or The Last of Us? You really think Rogue is a masterpiece? I'm sorry, but this is very shocking to me...

Charles_Phipps
11-28-2014, 05:47 PM
10/10? Really? 10/10? So you're telling me this game is perfect? This game is close to being as good as GTA5 or The Last of Us? You really think Rogue is a masterpiece? I'm sorry, but this is very shocking to me...

I'd actually use Dragon Age: Origins and Skyrim as the basis for my 10 out of 10 more than anything else. Those games provided dozens of hours of enjoyment to me without any real regrets about them. As mentioned, I could have given it a 9.5 for the shortness and the "sidequest glut" but I decided to generous since so many other sites were being down on it. If they were down on it because it was "more of the same" I'm up for it because it's more of the same.

In general, my ratings system go with 6 "I had fun but a very very flawed game", 8 is "a game I really really liked", "9 is a game which moved me and I enjoyed but has some very persistent law" and "ten is a game I will replay because I enjoyed it so much and has everything going for it." Black Flag is my other 10 out of 10 AC game and this has just as good a story, IMHO.

I will say GTA 5 is troubled by the fact it's a lot of story leading nowhere and the Last of Us is absolutely awesome but, frankly, plays like a movie. A truly awesome movie.

VestigialLlama4
11-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Hey folks,

I thought people would be interested in my Assassin's Creed: Rogue reviews. I divided them into spoiler and non-spoiler reviews as I'm want to do with games I like the storylines of.

Non-Spoiler Rogue Review (http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/11/assassins-creed-rogue-non-spoiler-review.html)

Spoiler Rogue-Review (http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/11/assassins-creed-rogue-spoiler-review.html)

Overall, I think Assassin's Creed: Rogue is really-really good. I love Shay, the setting, the storytelling, and the fact I can play the game with only the occasional bug (like getting stuck in scenery). I really think this should have been Assassin's Creed V and we could have built from it until Unity. Unfortunately, the game is far-far too short and needs a couple of DLC like AC2 to flesh it out to the point it "feels" complete. The Siege of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities added a lot to AC2 and something similar with the French and Indian War would be good for this game.

Sadly, I feel we barely got to know the characters before they started dropping like flies.

Still, I gave it a 10 out of 10 because I hold AC to a standard which the rest of the industry can barely keep up with.

Rogue's story is nice I feel, but I wish it had more creative gameplay. I think it only seems better in comparison to the total disaster that is UNITY. I wish the game provided some closure to the Connor story but instead Ubisoft is doing a game with the supporting cast of III without the star of III in the setting of III so I don't know how I feel about it. Also Shay as a Templar doesn't really do something genuinely ambiguous like say burn down a Native American settlement for the "greater good" or other kinds of actions which the other Templars (like James Wardrop who's a war criminal) do.

Charles_Phipps
11-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Rogue's story is nice I feel, but I wish it had more creative gameplay. I think it only seems better in comparison to the total disaster that is UNITY. I wish the game provided some closure to the Connor story but instead Ubisoft is doing a game with the supporting cast of III without the star of III in the setting of III so I don't know how I feel about it. Also Shay as a Templar doesn't really do something genuinely ambiguous like say burn down a Native American settlement for the "greater good" or other kinds of actions which the other Templars (like James Wardrop who's a war criminal) do.

That doesn't seem to be ambiguous so much as outright evil. Of course, James Wardrop commits war crimes against Native Americans but we also know at least two major Templars were sympathetic to Native Americans during this time too. Probably more so than the vast majority of colonists during this time period. Really, I thought Shay was more ambiguous than than I expected him to be. They could have portrayed Shay as a Good Templar hunting Evil Assassins but it's clear that he's a Good Templar hunting Good Assassins.

His murder of Hope and Adewale the others made me feel kind of sick.

As for Connor, the game takes place 30 years before he was born so that seems a little hard to do. I wouldn't mind seeing Connor again but I confess, my desire to see him is mostly due to the fact he was ditched out of Unity where he should have at least made a cameo.

SirTookTookIII
11-29-2014, 09:25 PM
As for Connor, the game takes place 30 years before he was born so that seems a little hard to do. I wouldn't mind seeing Connor again but I confess, my desire to see him is mostly due to the fact he was ditched out of Unity where he should have at least made a cameo.

Connor was born 4 years after the beginning of Rogue.

Charles_Phipps
11-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Connor was born 4 years after the beginning of Rogue.

Eh, Assassined then. :-)

VestigialLlama4
11-30-2014, 09:27 AM
That doesn't seem to be ambiguous so much as outright evil. Of course, James Wardrop commits war crimes against Native Americans but we also know at least two major Templars were sympathetic to Native Americans during this time too. Probably more so than the vast majority of colonists during this time period. Really, I thought Shay was more ambiguous than than I expected him to be. They could have portrayed Shay as a Good Templar hunting Evil Assassins but it's clear that he's a Good Templar hunting Good Assassins.

That part, Good Templar hunting Good Assassins is why the game works on the whole.

But they do dodge the implications of serving the British during the Seven Years War. To be fair the Assassins dodged the implications of working alongside Lorenzo de'Medici. So on that level its fine. But in AC3 which ROGUE is a stepchild of whether it likes it or not, did address the political implications.

In ROGUE, Shay points out that the Assassins are fighting the French in Haiti but fighting for them in North America. Keesegowaase likewise troubles and upsets Oneida tribes in the region. The fact that the English was a slaveowning and expansionist Empire at that time and the Templars support them isn't addressed since it focuses on Shay's quest and that's why it doesn't feel like a real challenge to the player. It neglects the fact that the French, however imperfectly served a bulwark for other Native Tribes against that expansionism, it isn't addressed at all. In the game, Wardrop is treated sympathetically and Gist later tells Shay that he was a great guy, which means that the other, supposedly benevolent Templars are okay with him, just like their anti-slavery ethos squares with Lawrence Washington.

Personally, I'd like the game to have ended with Shay and Gist forcing Lee, Hickey and others to burn this one village supposedly sympathetic to Assassins and that turns out to be Connor's village. III never really answered the question of why Washington attacked that village, since according to history he had retired at the time and Haytham despite telling Lee and Co. to stop looking for sites were there that day. I think it would have been dark if they attacked that village and framed Washington when Lee realized that one of the victims was Haytham's lover. That would have made it a real Templar game then.