PDA

View Full Version : High GPU Usage in game menu

freemans1911
11-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Hi all,

I've just noticed that the game runs on 100% GPU usage in a menu (Such as character customization).
Graphic Card is GTX970, i7 920 and 12GB RAM.
All settings are set on their maximum values.

Example:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63904414/Menu.png

In Game GPU usage is about 60% to 70%:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63904414/In%20Game.png

I have v1.3. Do not know if this happened in version 1.2

Is this normal?

Thanks

strigoi1958
11-27-2014, 11:26 PM
I don't know but does it matter ?

I've just thought of a great idea... someone should invent a game where..... you play as someone who doesn't actually play games but look at the writing in the corner of the screen for changes... it will be much better than running, climbing, shooting, fighting, sneaking, killing, winning, losing, exploring, solving, saving, flying, swimming, sailing, bombing etc.. I know it would sell because so many are obsessed by it ;)

freemans1911
11-27-2014, 11:51 PM
I am not complaining. Just seeing if this behavior happened to others.
Also i wanted to report this issue. As a developer myself, I appreciate people that criticize (in a constructive way) my work.

I am enjoying this game, as in I've already spent a great of time exploring and progressing in the single player and I'm not always looking at fps.
To me it does not matter if i play at 30fps or at 60fps.

Thanks
Regards
freemans1911

strigoi1958
11-28-2014, 03:28 AM
Well as a developer I can offer you this as a gamer.... make certain any monitoring software like afterburner, fraps etc does not work when your game runs, because people buy a reasonable card and spend more time looking at fps and cpu usage than playing....

To quote Bruce Lee

It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory. :D

http://www.dekoele.nl/don't think feel !!!!!/vinger.jpg

hlchade
11-28-2014, 03:33 AM
Just seeing if this behavior happened to others.

Yes, I get that. The game utilises my cards at 96-99% the majority of the time, but any time I access the menus I can very audibly hear my fans spin up (and then decrease after exiting the menu). I've also read a few observations from PS4 owners in the console forum who report similar behaviour in menus. I didn't play the game prior to the second patch but it certainly did it then and continues to do it after patch 3.

And although it may not matter to some, I think it's an interesting observation to make.

... make certain any monitoring software like afterburner, fraps etc does not work when your game runs, because people buy a reasonable card and spend more time looking at fps and cpu usage than playing....

That's a silly suggestion. What is it to you if someone else likes monitoring their own hardware? Honestly, it's like you think people are incapable of enjoying one thing without sacrificing enjoyment of the other. Think of it like a bonus mini-game. :)

... And maybe OP has equally glorious fingers. :p

jorimt
11-28-2014, 04:48 AM
GTX 770 4GB here. Yes, I've noticed this since launch day, with GPU usage 100% while in menu. The menu's backdrop is running in real-time (change the graphics settings like "bloom" and you'll see it enable/disable in the menu background), and is apparently very demanding. I've noticed the menu's performance worsens if you have 16x AF forced in the Nvidia control panel for the game's exe.

I'm not sure why they didn't just make the background a looping video instead, it would have been far less demanding.

dnameless1
11-28-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard (meaning, fan(s) spinning way way louder) GPU usage going up in many (if not all) AC/Ubisoft games in menu; Watch_Dogs, Anno series, previous AC titles.

I noticed that with this video card (MSI Lightning 4GB R9 290X), the previous one (HD6990, dual GPU card, 1 fan, sounded like a vacuum cleaner so that was very noticeable) and the one before that (also dual GPU, I think it was the 4870 X2, also 1 fan, also very noticeable).

Didn't actively monitor GPU usage/framerates in previous games since I didn't really have a reason to, only started to do so with ACU. Occasionally still messing around with the settings so for now I keep it active.

I also see GPU usage drop ingame, in menu it goes up to 100%. GPU usage ingame will stay at/around 100% when I turn up AA up another notch. Right now it seems to vary anywhere between 50 and 100, don't think framerate drops below 30, usually above 40, don't seem to have an issue with stuttering or other issues.

Current config/settings:

Asus Z97-Deluxe motherboard, I7 4770K, 32 MB mem, MSI R9 290X 4GB Lightning, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Latest (14.11.2 Beta) AMD beta drivers, resolution: 2560*1440.

Environment and Textures at ultra high, shadow at high, ambient occlusion at SSAO, anti-aliasing at FXAA. Bloom on, vsync on, full screen, refresh rate 60. Patch 1.3.0.

Lignjoslav
11-28-2014, 03:01 PM
When you're in the menu, the CPU has nothing to do so the GPU never has to wait for it and just keeps pushing new frames. That's why it's at 100%.

Also, when you're in the menu, like the CPU, the GPU often hasn't got any complicated things (shaders) to do either, so the framerate shoots through the roof and when that happens, the ROPs in the GPU can get really, really hot. Hence the noise.

tiagotomate
11-28-2014, 06:03 PM
same problem here , when on menu my fans start spinning like crazy and the cabinet gets hot .. i don't even use any fps program or anything but is easy to see the difference. I'm afraid that this could do some damage in my gpu ... ?!

4770 3.40GHz
770gtx 2gbvram
8gb ram

Lignjoslav
11-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Doesn't Nvidia have some adaptive Vsync option (which essentially caps the framerate at 60fps, but unlike normal Vsync doesn't affect it when it's below that)? I've got AMD, so I'm not sure, but it should help.

On a side note, if the entire case gets hot, maybe you have poor airflow.

tiagotomate
11-28-2014, 06:16 PM
i use the vsync stuff ... but still ...

dnameless1
11-28-2014, 07:55 PM
same problem here , when on menu my fans start spinning like crazy and the cabinet gets hot .. i don't even use any fps program or anything but is easy to see the difference. I'm afraid that this could do some damage in my gpu ... ?!

4770 3.40GHz
770gtx 2gbvram
8gb ram

I seriously doubt that will damage your GPU. Sure, if stuff gets too hot, it can get damaged. Try checking temperature values for the GPU(s) and other stuff like your CPU cores, if they seem to get way too hot, perhaps you have a problem. But that would probably an airflow problem. (edit: what Lignjoslav said).

These days, I think(/hope) modern computer stuff has protection against overheating, I'd expect (GPU/CPU) cores and such to downclock to avoid damage. Unless perhaps one is overclocking stuff.

Edit nr2: if by cabinet you mean your computer case, and it somewhat literally gets "hot", then perhaps it's time to get a different cabinet/case/have someone check out your PC(?).

Code-E_420
11-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi all,

I've just noticed that the game runs on 100% GPU usage in a menu (Such as character customization).
Graphic Card is GTX970, i7 920 and 12GB RAM.
All settings are set on their maximum values.

In Game GPU usage is about 60% to 70%:
I have v1.3. Do not know if this happened in version 1.2

Is this normal?

Thanks

Hey @freemans1911 what monitoring software are you using?

strigoi1958
11-28-2014, 09:05 PM
That's a silly suggestion. What is it to you if someone else likes monitoring their own hardware? Honestly, it's like you think people are incapable of enjoying one thing without sacrificing enjoyment of the other. Think of it like a bonus mini-game. :)

... And maybe OP has equally glorious fingers. :p

He said as a developer.... If i were a developer and I could prevent people from spending time trying to find faults instead of just playing I would. ;)

An awful lot of threads wouldn't exist on this forum...

People complain about having to run Uplay and Steam as an extra program but also run Fraps etc...

I never see monitoring software as a mini game and I know, like me, you were joking,but it is more of a developers tool or a way to boast (I'm getting 200FPS etc with my $12,000 worth of quad sli titan z's) or to complain at some things that are not really important especially when someone is trying to run a game like Unity on a gt 9600.

Hence my Blockbusting monitoring game suggestion :D see I've even given him a billion dollar game idea to develop. 10% commission ;)

The OP is not complaining or boasting but I'm not sure where he's going with it or what relevance it has.... except to others who like to monitor things at different points in the game... It probably needs to be in the technical section rather than the gaming section :confused:

tim_n
02-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Got the same issue even though I turned Adaptive V-sync on, so the fps in menus are always at 60, still my GPU fans speed up a lot, while CPU fan slows down. I think it really matters because sometimes I have to leave a game paused for a while and I don't want my GPU to wear out faster because of it. Also loud fans do annoy a little while you try to read the in-game text (about history, Paris buildings etc).

RhoidSlayer
02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
it burns energy and unnecessarily stresses the GPU and fan , lowering mtbf.
it's more than just inelegant , oems built down clocking into their chips for a reason .

IAmPrinceVinc
04-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Still and Issue, what happened to You Ubisoft? I recently played AC to AC: BF and non of them had THAT kind of issue.
I mean come on, you kill PC's and Probably rise our energy consumption bill because you are not able to Program a decent Menu?
I know you can so why you don't do it?

Just DO IT, show us you really care!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU