PDA

View Full Version : ACU - Side Missions in Unity

VestigialLlama4
11-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Let's look at Side Missions in earlier games, at least in terms of gameplay.

AC1 - Practically no sidemissions. You had these build-up missions to each target. But the main thing is in terms of gameplay,
You had Interrogation(Beat Up Dude Then Kill Him), Race, Kill in Time Slot, Eavesdropping, Pickpocketing.
So you had some variation in gameplay. You also had collectibles and those Templar Knights to Kill for World-Building. The Flags weren't a great idea but the 60 Templar Knights were cool.

AC2 - More Side-Missions
You had Courier Missions/Thief Missions(Parkour Gameplay), Beat-Em-Up/Assassination Missions(Fight and Stealth), you had Races(On Foot and in one case, on Horse), you had Tombs (Platform-Puzzle), you had Glyph Puzzles (Exploration/Puzzle Missions/Modern Day Tie-In Mystery).
- In other words, the side-missions had you explore the map from every considerable direction, that tied in all the historical research into old buildings and made each architectural place distinctive and memorable.
- Collectibles, you had the plot relevant Codexes, Endless Treasure Chests, those Feathers(which are a chore to collect but ties into the story with Ezio's mother).
- In terms of gameplay, every facet was covered - horse riding, fighting, stealth, Parkour, Platform and Puzzle.

ACBrotherhood - Probably Nothing but Side Missions.
You had Thief Guild/Mercenary Guild/Assassin Guild/Courtesan Guild Missions plus tie-in objectives, with a story that tied in to the anti-Borgia Resistance Plot. You had Leonardo War Machines, you had Romulus Tombs, you had those Item Quests that unlocked gear, you had Borgia Towers, you had Templar Contracts, you had the Recruitment Drive missions, those Armchair Brotherhood Missions where you sent assassins across Europe. Likewise full synchronization gave you those Cristina Missions that provided backstory to Ezio. In top of this you had the Truth Missions as well.
- Basically same as II but more even if its a little less map and little less story. But again if you did the Side Missions you got a complete story and explored every part of your map across all Seven Hills of Rome.
- In terms of gameplay, every facet was covered - horse riding, fighting, stealth, Parkour, Platform and Puzzle.

ACRevelations - Much the same as Brotherhood and AC2 except the Tombs are now part of the main plot with the Memory Seals Quest.

AC3 - You had these Clubs - Frontiersman(where you basically had to explore the map and Parkour across Trees and spend time underground, investigated Folklore), Hunting (Kill game in different locations, different species and then special hunting kills), Brawler(fight with bare hands and special guys), you had Courier Missions and Item Quest("You have my everlasting gratitude sir!), you had Crafting, you had Forts to discover across the Map, you had Districts to Free and Assassins to Recruit, you had Naval Missions, you had Tombs again, you had the Homestead Missions. Not much in terms of Puzzle gameplay on the other hand.
- In terms of gameplay - you explored the map, snorkeled into caves, explored trees, rocks and cellars, roved the waves, rode horses, hunted a lot of animals and delivered some items because why not. There is no real integration with the main storyline campaign and a lot of these side missions feels like stuff Connor would do after the story. AC3 could have used a smaller map(just the Frontier/Homestead and one city in Boston with occassional visits for special missions) and fewer side missions but you get a lot for money.

Black Flag - Probably my favorite in terms of side mission mechanic.
Everything is tied to your ship. You want money, you take AC contracts, Naval Missions. You want material, you board ships and collect metal and wood, sell rum and sugar from your pillage. You want to feel safe while sailing, you knock over forts and unlock more naval contracts. You want to access plans for upgrades, you buy a diving bell and dive beneath the ocean searching for ruins. You want challenges to suit your fully upgraded ship, go attack some Legendary Ships, now you want something to spend money on, upgrade your manor in Great Inagua. Gameplay wise, you get a total experience, in land and on sea.

Now let's look at UNITY
I am not sure if Brotherhood or Heist Missions qualify as Side Missions. They probably do, but to me since they are the only real time you use Co-Op I see it as something separate. Focusing on the Single Player, we have - Paris Side Stories, Murder Mysteries, Cafe Theatre, Social Clubs, Nostradamus Riddles.

1) In terms of gameplay there is no variety in Paris Side Stories. It's sneak into house, get some letters and sneak out, stealth kill or brutally kill guards along the way. It's just a long series of endless errands of Pressing the B button. In the Homestead Missions in AC3 you got to snorkel under a cave, you got to use dynamite to smoke out a cougar, you rescued people from falling off a rapid river, you stopped a fight, you got a doctor to give birth to a baby. You did errands there too, but each one had a story and feeling to it. Here even if you are meeting colourful individuals like Chevalier d'Eon or Beaumarchais, all of them have the same interchangable model and singular voice. Even Lavoisier and Thomas Paine look the same.
2) Murder Mysteries feels like Arkham/L.A. Noire in Unity. It does allow you to explore the large map but again repetitive gameplay, go in, interact with floating B button and the like.
3) Social Clubs - Tied to renovation mechanic similar to the guild/Monteriggioni/Homestead mechanic but in terms of gameplay dull, same as Paris Side Stories, sneak here, go there and collect stuff and press B button.
4) Nostradamus Riddles - Similar to the Puzzle Mechanic in the Ezio games. Allows you to explore the map.

The main thing that I am pointing out is the reduction in gameplay in side missions - there is little variety, no real story to tie it in. There is none of the Platform and World-Building Exploring stuff you have before. No ASSASSIN TOMBS in Unity aside from the Rifts thing which is really a tease rather than a full thing.

ferec2014
11-27-2014, 07:07 PM
When i enter game assasins creed unity and pass mission and quit game and again enter game games say DATA CORRUPTED what should I do:confused::confused::confused::confused::confuse d: HELP MEEE

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 07:21 PM
In terms of gameplay there is no variety in Paris Side Stories...

Oh, don't even get me started. This (and all the other types of missions that just involve pressing B) are the biggest reason for my disappointment in AC:Unity.

Personally, I don't understand how Alex Amancio can not be embarrassed about this game.

TwoClipzOneKill
11-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Personally, I don't understand how Alex Amancio can not be embarrassed about this game.

AGREED. If this happened at my company the Project Manager would be looking for a new job. And I'm not referring to the launch issues.

If his title is really "Creative and Artistic Director" he didn't live up to his title in my opinion. While I understand this is France and not the Caribbean, the colors in the game are so muted and no where near as breath taking as is predecessor. Nothing in this game is creative or artistic.Mechanics and Art completely failed in this game.

Xstantin
11-27-2014, 09:06 PM
AGREED. If this happened at my company the Project Manager would be looking for a new job. And I'm not referring to the launch issues.

If his title is really "Creative and Artistic Director" he didn't live up to his title in my opinion. While I understand this is France and not the Caribbean, the colors in the game are so muted and no where near as breath taking as is predecessor. Nothing in this game is creative or artistic.Mechanics and Art completely failed in this game.

I don't wanna argue with you but there are lots of things in game which are creative and artistic.
Maybe it was their intention to make colors "muted". Not everything needs to be bright - sometimes it doesn't work, look at red Arno clashing with the surroundings for example.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't wanna argue with you but there are lots of things in game which are creative and artistic.
Maybe it was their intention to make colors "muted". Not everything needs to be bright - sometimes it doesn't work, look at red Arno clashing with the surroundings for example.

Okay, so what about the rest of the game - the stuff we've discussed. Making virtually every side mission boring - that's a creative decision too.

Xstantin
11-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Okay, so what about the rest of the game - the stuff we've discussed. Making virtually every side mission boring - that's a creative decision too.

Dunno, sneaking into guarded areas is fun imo, but to each their own.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Dunno, sneaking into guarded areas is fun imo, but to each their own.

So you don't have any criticisms? None at all? You can't think of anything the developer of what is acknowledged to be one of the worst major studio releases of 2014 has done that might be the cause of Unity's downfall? Nothing? You're perfectly happy?

I just don't get that attitude. I mean, as I see it, that lack of critical thought effectively consigns every game to a future of slow death by ever-increasing mediocrity through player apathy. You don't care enough to find any room for improvement.

Xstantin
11-27-2014, 11:27 PM
So you don't have any criticisms? None at all? You can't think of anything the developer of what is acknowledged to be one of the worst major studio releases of 2014 has done that might be the cause of Unity's downfall? Nothing? You're perfectly happy?

I just don't get that attitude. I mean, as I see it, that lack of critical thought effectively consigns every game to a future of slow death by ever-increasing mediocrity through player apathy. You don't care enough to find any room for improvement.

I don't think the game is as bad tbh, but I guess at this point you're convinced it's the worst which could happen.

wickywoowoo
11-27-2014, 11:29 PM
All of this is subjective and opinion. You finding it boring does not make it fact. Some people find Connor and Altair the best Assassins while others prefer Ezio's showmanship.

Different strokes for different folks.

bitebug2003
11-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Back on topic please

Thanks

I don't get the Nostradamus riddles but it does seem that there is a lot of padding in AC: Unity

AC Rogue has some decent side content too - not dissimilar to AC4 but a few things were added and most are still for Ship/Shay upgrades