PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the story of AC Unity ( SPOILERS!)

hapkidolaurent
11-27-2014, 01:43 PM
So what do you guys think about the story? I finished it pretty fast and was more than dissapointed regardless of all the glitches and bugs.
I mean c'mon, there were only 12sequences and each head only 2-3 memories. It was way to short and there was no detph to the characters whatsoever even Arno wasnt really immersiv. I know many people didnt like AC3 but for me it is the best game of the whole series. You start as the father and continue as the son and grow up becoming a master Assassin and even a chief of your own town (sorry I dont know what the english words are for it) .

In AC unity you start also as somone else and then you start as a kid but it didnt catch me that hard as when I was playing AC3.
I wasnt able to immerse myself into the game, feel like an assassin and couldnt really relate with arno because there was no real "bounds" between me and him and all in all the story was really sloppy. I noticed it that way that my girlfriend was able to distract me and this is a thing that doesnt happen when I am playing a AC Game.

And what was that with the Assassins? Of course it shows an interesting point of view that the Assassin Brotherhood isnt that kind of "shiny knight" we used to think.
The plot with Belleck was so obvious that he killed Mirabau. Its also a shame that the relationship between Arno and Elise wasnt shown more and that there were not more to do. Even the death of Hope in AC Rouge was more emotional than the one from that Red-Hair templar.

I have to admit that I find the sidemissions and the mysterious Cases much more interesting than the Mainstory. But thats only my opinion :)

guest-0VWo3kY1
11-27-2014, 05:32 PM
So what do you guys think about the story? I finished it pretty fast and was more than dissapointed regardless of all the glitches and bugs.
I mean c'mon, there were only 12sequences and each head only 2-3 memories. It was way to short and there was no detph to the characters whatsoever even Arno wasnt really immersiv. I know many people didnt like AC3 but for me it is the best game of the whole series. You start as the father and continue as the son and grow up becoming a master Assassin and even a chief of your own town (sorry I dont know what the english words are for it) .

In AC unity you start also as somone else and then you start as a kid but it didnt catch me that hard as when I was playing AC3.
I wasnt able to immerse myself into the game, feel like an assassin and couldnt really relate with arno because there was no real "bounds" between me and him and all in all the story was really sloppy. I noticed it that way that my girlfriend was able to distract me and this is a thing that doesnt happen when I am playing a AC Game.

And what was that with the Assassins? Of course it shows an interesting point of view that the Assassin Brotherhood isnt that kind of "shiny knight" we used to think.
The plot with Belleck was so obvious that he killed Mirabau. Its also a shame that the relationship between Arno and Elise wasnt shown more and that there were not more to do. Even the death of Hope in AC Rouge was more emotional than the one from that Red-Hair templar.

I have to admit that I find the sidemissions and the mysterious Cases much more interesting than the Mainstory. But thats only my opinion :)

I agree with your first paragraph in that AC3 was one of the best stories. You weren't Godzio or the legendary Altair. Rather you were a determined and focused Templar that used the Assassin techniques his father taught him and later, you were Connor, who was a kid throughout the game. He didn't have the calm and collected nature of Altair or quite as charming as Ezio. He was angry and that anger carried him on, while also being regretful for the lives he took. He was bratty at time and even cocky, but he grow up into a calm young man that realized that he wasn't this hero, but rather a soldier for his cause. He became a strong, but silent type that was humble and focused. He no longer was angry at Lee, but rather killed him to save his Order and Homestead, because he knew it was his mission not a morally superior hero's epic.

Off of AC3 however, Unity has the flaw of trying to get you to feel for characters that are barely there and provide no real diversity or substance. Arno was kind of interesting, but Pierre came off as an ******* and his reasoning with Arno at the end was human, but out of place. Elise was a surprise, because I legit forgot she even existed. The Assassin's council and even Mirabeau weren't that compelling of characters. I didn't even care for de la Serre, because he was just a plot device and every other characters just faded after a while, except for the Sage. The Sage was an excellent character and captured what a Sage was. A person different from other Sages, but still the same. Like being reincarnated in a different environment. Roberts in AC4 was a pirate and carefree, focused on enjoying life, while Germain was more focused on creating chaos to destroy the Assassins and bring back the Templars who support the First Civs.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Worst Assassin's Creed story ever.

Also, you should specify Rogue spoilers, or better still, enclose them in a spoiler tag. Some of us have played Unity, so we know any Unity spoilers, but not Rogue spoilers.

hapkidolaurent
11-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I agree with your first paragraph in that AC3 was one of the best stories. You weren't Godzio or the legendary Altair. Rather you were a determined and focused Templar that used the Assassin techniques his father taught him and later, you were Connor, who was a kid throughout the game. He didn't have the calm and collected nature of Altair or quite as charming as Ezio. He was angry and that anger carried him on, while also being regretful for the lives he took. He was bratty at time and even cocky, but he grow up into a calm young man that realized that he wasn't this hero, but rather a soldier for his cause. He became a strong, but silent type that was humble and focused. He no longer was angry at Lee, but rather killed him to save his Order and Homestead, because he knew it was his mission not a morally superior hero's epic.

Off of AC3 however, Unity has the flaw of trying to get you to feel for characters that are barely there and provide no real diversity or substance. Arno was kind of interesting, but Pierre came off as an ******* and his reasoning with Arno at the end was human, but out of place. Elise was a surprise, because I legit forgot she even existed. The Assassin's council and even Mirabeau weren't that compelling of characters. I didn't even care for de la Serre, because he was just a plot device and every other characters just faded after a while, except for the Sage. The Sage was an excellent character and captured what a Sage was. A person different from other Sages, but still the same. Like being reincarnated in a different environment. Roberts in AC4 was a pirate and carefree, focused on enjoying life, while Germain was more focused on creating chaos to destroy the Assassins and bring back the Templars who support the First Civs.

You are totally right with the part considering Unitys Story. Its such a shame. At least AC4 (which I didnt really liked) had more depth in the story even more interesting characters than Unity.

Derp43
11-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Unity's story is a mixed bag for me, it has some very good characters(Like Arno and Elise), and some characters that receive no development at all(I still don't know the names of any of the people on the Assassin Council except for Mirabeu). The story is fairly well written(Except for the ending which was utter bollocks), although it relies too heavily on co-op and Paris Stories to get historical information across.

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Unity's story is a mixed bag for me, it has some very good characters(Like Arno and Elise), and some characters that receive no development at all(I still don't know the names of any of the people on the Assassin Council except for Mirabeu). The story is fairly well written(Except for the ending which was utter bollocks), although it relies too heavily on co-op and Paris Stories to get historical information across.

Im cant relate to that unfortunately. Even the characters like Arno and Elise are (in my opinion) poorly designed characters. You get acutally nothing out of Elise other than she is a templar and that she loves Arno( which she could have shown more) and that she wants to revenge her father. But there is no deeper meaning in the story. Its like they tried to do more a movie where you can interract and be the "hero". The quotes and the lines are so numb and just wierd. I mean like Marquis de Sade where he says something like "Where would the human be if he would ask anymore for anything" ...okay might sound a little poethic but its only a pittyfull try to make the characters more "mysterious"

king-hailz
11-28-2014, 08:23 AM
I agree I hated ACU story! However ACAC3 is also 12 sequences... but ACU literally has 1 or 2 missions in each one...

I think AC3 and ACU have problems with story! However they are opposite problems. I think AC3 had a good story concept of playing as the father and then the son however I think it was presented terribly! On the other hand ACU was presented well with good voice acting and motion acting and structure was good however the story itself is just so lame!

So I think ACU and AC3 stories are the same in how bad they are but also different in what they are bad in.

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 08:40 AM
I agree I hated ACU story! However ACAC3 is also 12 sequences... but ACU literally has 1 or 2 missions in each one...

I think AC3 and ACU have problems with story! However they are opposite problems. I think AC3 had a good story concept of playing as the father and then the son however I think it was presented terribly! On the other hand ACU was presented well with good voice acting and motion acting and structure was good however the story itself is just so lame!

So I think ACU and AC3 stories are the same in how bad they are but also different in what they are bad in.

Its really funny how different people think about AC3. Its like one of the most polerized Game of the whole series because in my opinion it was the best part of the game. I didnt even find it short but that is maybe because the sidemissions and the mainstory blended together so well. But you gonna give me a point here because the ending of AC3 was epic. Connor sitting with Charles Lee at the table both knowing that one of them is going to die. And I really liked the feeling of that Connors empty Village when he returned to it and theres only that man at the Campfire and they chitterchatter about something which I cant remember. It showed that after all the hardwork after all the things he has benn through he wasnt able to change the way he wanted to. And you remember the scene where he has to kill his old best friend? I just love how he taps 3 gentle on his stomache. This just shows an incredibly deep pain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n93E-DUr5pA here is the video of this very sad scene.

guest-0VWo3kY1
11-29-2014, 12:53 AM
Its really funny how different people think about AC3. Its like one of the most polerized Game of the whole series because in my opinion it was the best part of the game. I didnt even find it short but that is maybe because the sidemissions and the mainstory blended together so well. But you gonna give me a point here because the ending of AC3 was epic. Connor sitting with Charles Lee at the table both knowing that one of them is going to die. And I really liked the feeling of that Connors empty Village when he returned to it and theres only that man at the Campfire and they chitterchatter about something which I cant remember. It showed that after all the hardwork after all the things he has benn through he wasnt able to change the way he wanted to. And you remember the scene where he has to kill his old best friend? I just love how he taps 3 gentle on his stomache. This just shows an incredibly deep pain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n93E-DUr5pA here is the video of this very sad scene.

Someone who realizes the secret poetic beauty of AC3. I applaud you.

MakimotoJin
11-29-2014, 12:58 AM

Only a few games gives me them feels.AC3,ACIV,ACRo,LoU,and the Walking Dead are a few of them.
However,Desmond's ending is one of the things that make me not like AC3.Actually,Desmond itself makes me not like AC3.But I won't go there.Don't want debates.

rob1990312
11-29-2014, 01:09 AM
unity had a forgettable story and rouges was only slightly more intersting because it was propped up by ac3 and black flag

MakimotoJin
11-29-2014, 01:35 AM
unity had a forgettable story and rouges was only slightly more intersting because it was propped up by ac3 and black flag

Also because it was well worked with the characters.I got a bit sad when
Monro died.He seemed like a nice Templar.

rottenx
11-29-2014, 08:50 AM
[SPOILERS]

I dont get where they going with the modern day story line. What I mean is what is the point of killing desmond and releasing Juno.... now she wants to be in the system and get them to enter the grey... In ac 3 she was already hacking into the system... sending emails to desmond.... feels like the build up for Juno's story line leads to nowhere

I feel unity's storyline does not accomplish anything... u can actually skip this game if u playing only for the story.... really dissapointed with the modern day story. If im not mistaken ... the modern day story is what got people to ac ...I remember the discussions about the ending of ac1 .... the glyphs... subject 16.... I dont see that with the last few releases.

I want AC to bring that feeling i had when i saw the truth video.... the cliffhangers .... ones who came before.... the glyph puzzles.