PDA

View Full Version : Performance issues masking the real problem with Unity

stitch_au
11-27-2014, 03:51 AM
The game just IS NOT FUN.

The combat is a massive step backwards from AC4, I felt like I could actually take on a couple of enemies in that game and come out on top which is not the case in Unity. Now that would not be so bad if the stealth was improved upon but it wasn't at all. Why would they remove the ability to lure enemies towards you? Running and climbing is still as terrible as it ever was, getting stuck to everything and in chases the character doing exactly what you don't want him to do is the norm still but I was expecting that. But when its in a mission and you have to escape the area it is very frustrating.

I am in sequence 9 and having to do the assasination mission. I complete the assassination and almost escape only for the game to crash and on restart having to re-do the mission. So I spend the next 15-20minutes setting it all up again only to get stuck on some furniture while escaping and dieing, HAVING TO COMPLETELY REDO THE MISSION AGAIN!

Screw this game. I wasted $150AU on the notre dame edition, more than what season pass owners had to pay and the only compensation we will get is DLC to a game that is quite frankly....terrible.

Jdeadevil
11-27-2014, 04:00 AM
Yeah, I agree. The only times I'm enjoying the game are when I'm doing random parkour, or watching the sexual tension between Arno and Elise.

The game is littered with game breaking bugs, almost as if the testing department at Ubisoft consisted of monkeys with typewriters. The mechanics are terrible in every way. I don't enjoy automatically sticking to things by simply walking near them, and neither do I enjoy just about anything about combat. It's not just difficult, it's boring and messy. I do feel sorry for people who bought into the hype, I bought the game as soon as I had enough money to pay for it. Even more foolish of me, I bought it through PSN so I can't even get a refund.

melbye82
11-27-2014, 04:39 AM
After spending the whole day with the game i must say i echo your complaints. I really hate that they removed the whistling, and i also hate that they removed human shields. There seems to be few ways to avoid being shot and they really hurt Arno. It is really jarring going from Rogue to Unity, and i must say right now Rogue is a far better game

Megas_Doux
11-27-2014, 04:49 AM
I beg to differ.

I like that, unlike previous games, combat and assassinations are actually challenging. Paris is breathtaking and feels more alive than any city in the franchise, the mission design is open, the rifts were a truly welcomed surprise, the customization is pretty good, etc etc.

Summarizing, I really dig some aspects of the game, but I hate the state in which it was released.

Chook1980
11-27-2014, 04:50 AM
I have to say i totally disagree, while at first i didn't like the combat, once i got around the learning curve of a new combat system i really like it, it's more of a tactical experience and you really need to plan how and where your going to attack, yeah the npc's and there guns seem very op, thats why i take to roofs and take them out silently.

Freyr1983
11-27-2014, 04:58 AM
i think the combat and parkour is great . especially the combat which more challenging that make your assassin like an assassin which need avoid pre long fights.

My only complaints is they removed human shield function :(

D.I.D.
11-27-2014, 05:07 AM
They didn't remove the ability to lure enemies. They just folded it into one device, the cherry bomb.

Combat is much better for me now that we have to work for success, strategise, or simply run away. This feels far more exciting to me than walking up to any number of opponents in the sure and certain knowledge that I would kill the lot of them. That wasn't exciting at all, and human shield was ridiculous. You could just keep grabbing people and the same gunman would obligingly kill his friends for you. This wasn't exciting at all, unless you're into power fantasies, and it can't work in a game that thankfully features less queueing up in its fighting than ever before. If they'd left in human shields, I would expect the other opponents to be attacking me while I did it. If that happened to you, you'd be complaining about the length of the procedure, or the times when you did it by accident. That's probably why it's no longer a feature.

Running away feels more like a skill-based mechanic than the old combat, even. Shifting your line, manoeuvring so that the NPCs get shot instead of you, working out when you should climb or not, taking a chase through or into a building -- way more creative than any combat of the past.

I'm not going to say the game is perfect now, but it's a damn sight better than it's ever been before. The proper assassinations are what I've been waiting for in this series, and I'm so glad to finally have them.

Freyr1983
11-27-2014, 05:12 AM
They didn't remove the ability to lure enemies. They just folded it into one device, the cherry bomb.

Combat is much better for me now that we have to work for success, strategise, or simply run away. This feels far more exciting to me than walking up to any number of opponents in the sure and certain knowledge that I would kill the lot of them. That wasn't exciting at all, and human shield was ridiculous. You could just keep grabbing people and the same gunman would obligingly kill his friends for you. This wasn't exciting at all, unless you're into power fantasies, and it can't work in a game that thankfully features less queueing up in its fighting than ever before. If they'd left in human shields, I would expect the other opponents to be attacking me while I did it. If that happened to you, you'd be complaining about the length of the procedure, or the times when you did it by accident. That's probably why it's no longer a feature.

Running away feels more like a skill-based mechanic than the old combat, even. Shifting your line, manoeuvring so that the NPCs get shot instead of you, working out when you should climb or not, taking a chase through or into a building -- way more creative than any combat of the past.

I'm not going to say the game is perfect now, but it's a damn sight better than it's ever been before. The proper assassinations are what I've been waiting for in this series, and I'm so glad to finally have them.

I agree. now my Arno is really like as assassin not Barbarian warrior :p

topeira1980
11-27-2014, 03:56 PM

completely agree.

finally killing 5 guards is something to be proud of. finally i feel skilled if i kill 6 or 7 guards and not like the game is handing me a terminator and im fighting defenseless mice.

looks like meat shields and double counters and such were removed simply because they are going against what this game is trying to do and that is making the enemies NOT pushovers.

and i dont find the free running troubling at all. if i want to vault over small objects i push right trigger+B and easily dont get stuck anywhere. when im climbing 6 foot objects i go from right trigger+A to right trigger+b half way and i guggle between parkour up and parkour down and i get all the control i need.
only rarely i try and get into a window and miss, but that's the only complaint i have.

free running just gives you more control and lets you get better at it.

it's just that there are a lot of assassins creed players who used to be good at older AC games that are simply a cake walk, and now they are given a game that requires more from them and it's hard for them to adjust so they complain this is no longer the power trip they had and victory is not handed to them freely with over powering abilities and automated controls.

i agree there are glitches and mess ups with the controls occasionally, but these moments are rare enough for me that i accept them as the price of turning the basics of the game into something better.

p.s. - if you upgrade your gear and weapon you CAN be an over powered assassin. it just requires more patience and upgrades. personally, since i LIKE the challenge i keep myself with gear level 3 or 4. not 5.

SolidNSnake1985
11-27-2014, 04:25 PM
actually the combat is a step forward in Unity than AC IV, in Black Flag i felt kinda like a one man army, taking on 10+ was a no problem .. but in Unity it is a problem and i like it

luring the enemies though i agree with you, the Whistling shouldn't be gone

SenseHomunculus
11-27-2014, 05:28 PM
The game just IS NOT FUN.

The combat is a massive step backwards from AC4, I felt like I could actually take on a couple of enemies in that game and come out on top which is not the case in Unity. Now that would not be so bad if the stealth was improved upon but it wasn't at all. Why would they remove the ability to lure enemies towards you? Running and climbing is still as terrible as it ever was, getting stuck to everything and in chases the character doing exactly what you don't want him to do is the norm still but I was expecting that. But when its in a mission and you have to escape the area it is very frustrating.

So then something more like this is what you're looking for in terms of gameplay?

http://youtu.be/Bw3U_getqDg?t=32m50s

Personally, I disagree. The ability to do ridiculous killing sprees like this is one reason why I didn't care for AC3. I found it way too easy. In ACU, however, if you get surrounded by a dozen high-level guards -- like for instance, if you attack someone near the Ecole Militaire (the military academy) -- you get butchered, which is how it should be IMO. I hope to god they don't nerf this game like it sounds like they're going to because found it "too hard".

topeira1980
11-27-2014, 07:59 PM
im scared as well that the next AC will be a step backward in difficulty of combat.

i get ppl who miss certain moves but i hope that if UBI brings these moves back than they are balanced. whistle can be balanced by getting too many guards towards you or there is a certain way you can mess up the whisle and the guard will approach you position with his weapon drawn and not get insta-killed or something.

and meat shield should perhaps be only possible on staggering enemies or enemies near death or enemies that are staggered by a parry or an attack.... something like that....

DeanOMiite
11-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Just on the combat element, I completely disagree with the OP. My biggest complaint about the combat in previous games was that it was WAYYYY too easy. Like...the original AC, once you actually figured out how to counter it was literally almost impossible to die. They improved the combat in all of Ezio's games and it was awesome to be a total bada** like he was, but it still suffered from being too easy. You were allowed to be more creative, but it was still nearly impossible to die. Black Flag was a little tougher but by the end of the game you were once again just an unstoppable monster.

I actually die quite a bit in combat in Unity, and I LOVE that. I can't just run into a pack of people, counter 6 times and come away with a ridiculous chain kill and move on unscathed. That got old FAST. I like that there are consequences to your actions in this game...if you go for a chest at the wrong time or assassinate someone in plain view, you might actually die. To that I say, IT'S ABOUT TIME!

bitebug2003
11-27-2014, 08:50 PM
After spending the whole day with the game i must say i echo your complaints. I really hate that they removed the whistling, and i also hate that they removed human shields. There seems to be few ways to avoid being shot and they really hurt Arno. It is really jarring going from Rogue to Unity, and i must say right now Rogue is a far better game

I totally agree with this and I've given AC:Unity a fair share of gameplay

The detection rate is unnatural - enemies seem to have super senses and binocular vision

Mission spoiler follows

Although I did complete the whole mission on my own - the first part of 'Heads Will Roll' is just unfair

I realise it's a co-op mission but it should be balanced depending on the number of human players - which it isn't.
Even some of the single player missions have me question HOW an enemy is able to see me, and then immediately be surrounded by 10+ guards only to be killed by ONE gunshot from high up in a tower from a guard I didn't even know was there (I don't like the Eagle vision)

Moments like that I agree and the game isn't fun. Having the yellow icon pop up constantly is annoying too.

But then spending time roaming around Paris I then think it's fun again.