PDA

View Full Version : A Fast Review for AC: Unity

nswidan
11-27-2014, 03:09 AM
Assassin's Creed is a great franchise and is mostly known for its combat, stealth, and parkour. Let's talk about how they changed in Unity and keep it short.

Combat:
+ Great mechanics. Not only counter and attack, but dodge, heavy attack, parry, and prefect parry.
+ Smart guards with different difficulties.
- Horrible, buggy finishers.
- It becomes a gunfight when fighting at least 4 guards.
- Slightly slow.
Overall: Slightly boring. There is no fun in fighting 3 guards only.

Stealth:
+ Amazing stealthy missions, especially the heists.
- Horrible cover.
- Guards detect too fast even with a stealthy loadout.
- Guards' line of sight is outstanding, making them detect you even when you are far from them and above them, especially the snipers.
- Guards are not smart. If shot with the phantom blade, other guards will check the body, and return to their post, making it seem very unrealistic.
- Double assassination does not work properly. I have to be completely sure that the guards are highlighted before executing a double assassination.
Overall: Unfair. Could have been much better for a stealthy game.

Parkour:
+ Outstanding parkour and animations.
- Buggy.
Overall: Bugs are a huge downside, but when it works, it is very close to perfection. Had so much fun running around and exploring Paris.

The game is really great. I had fun playing it. That being said, my exceptions were not very high to be this disappointed.
Mistakes could have been easily avoided in the combat and stealth mechanics.
Some side missions never felt like missions and could have been a bit more exciting.
And sadly, the co-op missions were not the same as shown in the co-op demo. They were still good, but there were no co-op assassination missions.
Still, the game is extremely fun.

Verdict: 8/10
I feel like it should be less, since the mistakes could have been easily detected, however; the game is fresh and unique. And this is why I love Ubisoft.

What do *you think of the game?

Jdeadevil
11-27-2014, 03:29 AM
You're being a bit generous, that's what I think. The the only mechanic which isn't awful is the parkour, and even Arno's advanced DNA is no excuse for the massive jumps he can do. And the bugs! Ah Jesus, not one session goes by where I don't find at least four bugs and terrible downsides of the new mechanics that have made me need to reload.

Everything that had potential in this game was 10x better and more stable in the Ezio trilogy.

WaltMickey
11-27-2014, 03:39 AM
I nevertheless had a great time with the bigger emphasis on stealth - it was good to see that Ubisoft is taking its stealth genre seriously! I do agree with some of your points with that though: the cover system needs a lot more finesse and the fact that guards don't seem to care when their buddy is killed. If you've played Splinter Cell Conviction, when guards see a dead body, the ENTIRE force in the area reacts and goes on an ACTIVE HUNT for the killer. If Assassin's Creed implements this system that would be "revolutionary" and it would add a whole new level of skill and stealth.

With combat I'm glad they overhauled it the way they did since the game is supposed to revolve around stealth. They needed to do something to encourage stealth gameplay over "fist fighting", and I like what they did.

My only problem with the game is its story and character development. If you're on these forums you'd know what I mean when I say AC2 was a great game. If you look back at it, you could probably agree with me in saying that what made AC2 so revolutionary was that Ubisoft focused most of their resources on story-telling and mission structure - if you remember, people's main complaint of AC1 was that it was so repetitive. AC2 fixed this and Ubisoft even bragged about having such a variety in the missions. Jump back to ACU and what you see is Ubisoft focusing their resources on revamping gameplay mechanics - stealth, movement/parkour, combat. And as AC2 was with story-telling and structure, ACU was with gameplay mechanics. It becomes that Ubisoft is extremely good at doing things when they put their passion into it. I'm not a game developer, but I'm assuming it'd be pretty difficult to try and revamp an entire aspect of a game, in this case gameplay mechanics, while maintaining another at such a high level. Yes I'm extremely disappointed in Unity's story, but I think this will be a stepping stone for the series, since now we know that Ubisoft can deliver both great story (AC2-ACR) and great gameplay (ACU). It only becomes a matter of when can they deliver these both in the same package?

Assassin_M
11-27-2014, 03:46 AM
If you look back at it, you could probably agree with me in saying that what made AC2 so revolutionary was that Ubisoft focused most of their resources on story-telling and mission structure
*looks back at AC II*
Nope, still as ****ty and idiotic as ever.

if you remember, people's main complaint of AC1 was that it was so repetitive. AC2 fixed this
No, it didnt.

rprkjj
11-27-2014, 04:03 AM
*looks back at AC II*
Nope, still as ****ty and idiotic as ever.

No, it didnt.

It definitely didn't fix the repetitiveness (most games are repetitive in some way, especially AC) but compared to AC2, AC1 is the epitome of repetition. It's just really repetitive by itself.

Jdeadevil
11-27-2014, 04:15 AM
It definitely didn't fix the repetitiveness (most games are repetitive in some way, especially AC) but compared to AC2, AC1 is the epitome of repetition. It's just really repetitive by itself.

At least it can be repetitive without making people rage-quit due to bugs.

rprkjj
11-27-2014, 04:16 AM
I've only experienced 1 bug during my entire time with Unity, so it's the best of both worlds for me.

Jdeadevil
11-27-2014, 04:19 AM
But how? Almost every memory I've played through I've encountered at least one bug. The three major ones being when Arno started running in one direction and never stopped, and the other when a guard got started walking round in circles and gained unlimited health for some reason.

You are sure it's Unity aren't you? Someone didn't just put a sticker over where it says "2"?

rprkjj
11-27-2014, 04:22 AM
Yep. Fell through the floor on a co-op mission. That was the only time.