PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler alert*** Always ends like this

glessan
11-26-2014, 05:15 AM
Posted from Steam
Well, just finished Unity and I have to say, working through the issues, it was still overall a good game. I am not sure how everyone feels, but I'm going to throw it out there. I am sure some troll will come along and say something stupid, their right i guess, but I am getting so tired of the "a major character has to die" trend. Writers seem to feel that it makes them a good writer because they are able to draw a emotion out of you when they do it. Well, they are getting a emotion from me, I'm frakin ♥♥♥♥ed off. I mean, really? Can they not write something besides that? I am not sure what it is with this one that finally left me with ash in my mouth. I think that it was when I first started the game I said, oh, great, they are probably going to kill her off, and then it happened. I was playing the game thinking, man, they could branch off a whole series with these two, but no they had to fall into "that's the price of..blah blah blah"

But I'll be honest, it is not just this game, every freakin game has this kinda thing anymore. When it first started, it was different and you felt that "this is war, and it happens" But when you start a game and you expect it, it just loses its meaning and purpose. It is like that guy in a war movie that says "1 more week and I'm goin' home!"...yeah, he's dead. If it gets like that, then it becomes cliché.

Yes, I realize this is a game about death...If you know where I am coming from, you understand, if you don't you, never will. I mean look at all them; (A kinda game is to see if you can guess the games), Shepard, Lucy, Ghost/Soap, Duncan (of course, you could have done the baby thing, but who did that?), Angle (if you get this one, your old), Jenny, Claire, Jedi Exile (yes, she dies), Captain America (comics, but no one really dies there). There is alot more, you get my point. I am not going to argue that some of these made sense or whatever, some of them did, but that is not my point.

I am just tired of these characters, who you spend time with and "get to know" are killed just for kill's sake. yes I know it is their story, but it is getting old. Life sucks, people die all the time, bad things happen. It would be nice to see some happy endings sometimes. just sayin...

Tanyn
11-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Posted from Steam
I am not sure what it is with this one that finally left me with ash in my mouth.

I think it's because of a few reasons.

Elise is the first really LIKEABLE love interest in any Assassin's Creed that I know of, to date. With Ezio, there was Christina, but we barely ever got to know anything about her. We pretty much NEVER saw them together in AC2, and only got a few after-the-fact memories of them in Brotherhood. I guess Sophia counts, from Revelations, but Ezio was in his 50s then, and Sophia was a much younger woman, so I never really considered that a love interest ... cuz that'd be weird. Connor, thankfully, did not have a love interest ... because hearing his dull-***, monotone, voice actor trying to speak through a love scene would just be awkward and uncomfortable. Edward had Caroline, but again, we only get a few snapshots of him and her together, nothing that will actually allow you to get to know her, or develop any concern for her character. Then we arrive at Unity.

Arno and Elise's relationship carries an interesting dynamic. For one, Elise is gorgeous, and witty. She's also not just some dumb damsel in distress, but is just as capable of handling herself in a fight, and just as street-smart as Arno. This is because she's been trained as a Templar. The idea of a Templar/Assassin love story would be fantastic ... tho, technically Altair already did it, we only get ONE short memory of that in AC2 (or was it Brotherhood, can't remember). Elise also had a nice and fiery personality, and was just as revenge-driven as Arno ... the potential there was amazing ... but, as you stated, they squashed it out of self-imposed "necessity".

I really would've liked for her to stick around, and the two of them to go romping through another game (or two) together. I do not see why the writers feel the need to "write off" (no pun intended) pretty much every love interest in the AC franchise. Yes, we get it, being an Assassin is dangerous ... but Elise was a TEMPLAR ... you guys totally could've made that work so that she didn't have to be killed off. She was smart, and clever to boot ... and by her apologizing to Arno before she rushes in to her death, she KNEW she was going to die. Which kind of goes against her character ... but, I guess I've said enough about that ... in the end, I agree ... writing her off was just a bad call.

But then, there have been SO MANY bad calls when it comes to ACU (which im convinced was written over the course of one day ... considering that you can complete the plot, from beginning to end, in about 4 hours, if you're rushing it ... 6 if you're not.)

glessan
11-26-2014, 02:03 PM
yeah, I think you are right on

I don't think I can play a DLC with them/her knowing they don't end up together. I'm just kinda dumb like that.

It was certainly the shortest of the AC games. I think with the micro transactions and clubs and stuff, it seems they trying to start something new, like Call of Duty...small scratch the surface story, but really for multiplayer and club competitions where people will pay for a edge up.

They missed a huge opportunity here, I think. I know a lot of people at work (actually got me on the series, I am not really a first person gamer) who are upset with the ending and we were all talking about where it could go with Arno and Elise at lunch, well when we weren't talking about the game issues.

I think I'm going back to World of Tanks, you can not get emotionally attached to a tank, Well, there is my T30, Big Daddy, but that is different..

glessan
11-30-2014, 10:35 PM
well, I found Elise's gravestone and logged off with Arno standing beside it, and about delete the game. Atleast they can kinda be together now

strigoi1958
11-30-2014, 10:56 PM
but all the characters in the animus are dead and we are just living through their memories so when we see their death it doesn't mean we cannot play them in a different memory. Achilles was buried but he will be in Rogue. Just because we have or haven't seen the death of someone in AC we can still play them :D

Altair1789
11-30-2014, 11:21 PM
I saw it coming when they released the Dead Kings DLC trailer. In my opinion, this isn't the flaw with Unity's story. I think the entire story was terrible and rushed

glessan
12-01-2014, 12:23 AM
but all the characters in the animus are dead and we are just living through their memories so when we see their death it doesn't mean we cannot play them in a different memory. Achilles was buried but he will be in Rogue. Just because we have or haven't seen the death of someone in AC we can still play them :D

I understand that, but knowing that they would not end up together kinda ruined the story for me. His goal was not to be an assassin, it was to make things "right" to be with Elise. He just happened to cross path's with the assassins. Heck, apparently they did not even tell him about the pieces of eden even though he clearly had the assassin's gift's like eagle vision and stuff. It would have been nice to have Ubisoft break from the predictable "she dies at the end"... atleast it would have been original. The dynamic of her a former Templar and him a former assassin would have been very interesting, but short of the "she faked her death to hide from the Templars", which almost certainly did not happen as she looked pretty dead to me when he carried her out., she is gone and so is that opportunity.

maybe kinda dumb, but like I said in another post, if you understand, you understand, if you don't, you won't.

Also, I just realized I did not do the spoiler thing on the thread title correctly, I guess it does say it though. I saw in another post a mod fixed that, can it be done on this one? sorry.

strigoi1958
12-01-2014, 12:50 AM
well as you say they have an opportunity to bring her back if they want her to have faked her death. But if she was a former templar and he was a former assassin.... it couldn't be called an AC game plus who would they fight ?

I think it could have worked if she had become an assassin.

Most stories and films about 1 action hero rarely ends in marriage etc and if it does it usually ends badly... James bond got married once and she was killed (twice if you count the fake wedding in Japan) Jason Bournes partner, die hard, dirty harry, batman etc...

It's down to the writers and possibly as the deadline grew closer things may have been changed and the story shortened to get it released on time :confused: but the opportunity is still there if they want it.

glessan
12-01-2014, 01:38 AM
Most stories and films about 1 action hero rarely ends in marriage etc and if it does it usually ends badly... James bond got married once and she was killed (twice if you count the fake wedding in Japan) Jason Bournes partner, die hard, dirty harry, batman etc...

That is part of my point. Bond's wife died but it was back when that kinda stuff did not happen much and you also thought that Bond could protect her, and it was to draw emotion. Bourne's girl died, but it was a direct relation to the plot. I don't want to do the individual case by case because a lot of it is option and everyone see's things differently, it is just it happens so much it is just cliché now. Deaths are not done a lot of times except for shock value...The death of Lucy is a prime example. It was out of left field and really did not make much sense. (it was mentioned briefly in a later game that Desmond knew why he had to stab her, but I did not see where it advanced the plot) I do not really even watch TV or movies anymore... in the first 15 minutes I can, almost without fail, say "this person will die, that person will die, etc.

I think it could have worked if she had become an assassin.

I would say she would have to become an assassin or atleast Arno's partner, as well. I think she definitely leaned more toward their ideology than the Templars. maybe not a full fledged assassin, but then again Arno is no longer an assassin for Dead Kings, but they are still calling it AC (ofcourse they may take care of that in the DLC and he is allowed to rejoin, I have no idea). Also as I understand it, there is a new faction in Dead Kings that is not Templar, the Raiders. they could be a branch or something.

In the end I am just tired of writers/directors/etc choosing sad instead of happy. There is enough sadness and evil in the world that I would like to get away from it.

It is their story, so of course they can do what they want and I do not have to buy their games and their books or watch their shows. I will not say I will not buy a AC title ever again, but right now I just feel kinda sick. I was looking forward to this new series and DLC, just like Far Cry4, but I think now it maybe awhile, atleast...