PDA

View Full Version : Upscaling Unity on PS4 - Good or Bad?

WaltMickey
11-25-2014, 06:54 PM
I've read that the PS4 has a dedicated upscaling chip so that performance isn't hindered, so I've been playing Unity on 1080p without any frame rate drops. I know Ubisoft said the game will be locked to 900p. So my question becomes, although Sony claims the PS4 has a dedicated chip, will upscaling Unity to 1080p have any long-term effect on my PS4's performance, even though I've noticed no in-game technical issues? The game box also claims 1080p video output, but I'm assuming that has to do with upscaling.

I have, however, noticed that the PS4's fan gets loud when I'm on pause - particularly in the character customization menu. Is anyone noticing this issue as well?

Mr_Shade
11-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi, both consoles are capable of up scaling to 1080p - so there should be no long term affect doing this ;)

SithGorilla
11-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Is there anything specific you need to do to upscale it, or does the ps4 just do it automatically?

harsab
11-26-2014, 11:29 PM
I Might sound like a noob here but how do you upscale? is this a thing that the ps4 automatically does or i have to configure it? i'm playing Unity on ps4 and it looks gorgeous but if i can get a better performance why not..

SithGorilla
11-26-2014, 11:58 PM
So...can anyone explain how you upscale the game? I went through the ps4 settings and didn't really see anything. Maybe I missed it?

DynaRider
11-27-2014, 12:10 AM
Not related to upscale but something to be aware of. I had my PS4 sitting on a glass shelf under the television and I happened to touch the glass under the console after playing for awhile. The glass was really hot from heat generated by the PS4. I got a couple pieces of wood and sat the console up about 3 inches off the glass to get some air flow under it. Heat is a major problem for electrical components and helping to keep it cool should extend their lifetime. PS3 did it too so I have it also sitting up on a couple pieces of wood.