PDA

View Full Version : My honest thoughts about Rogue...

lukazdragon
11-24-2014, 11:09 PM
I have to let it out: AC: Rogue was a great surprise for me. Maybe because I came in with the lowest expectations. I loved AC4, and I really thought it would be a copy paste of Black Flag with a simple, okay story. But while it was, gameplay wise, generally the same of ACIV, the devs HONESTLY did their best to make it special on it's own, and the story memorable. I don't have time to make an extended review, but there are some things I need to point out.

The assassins as an enemy. In gameplay. The brotherhood isn't against just in the plot. While playing, they threaten you as well. Ubisoft could have just placed some regular enemies with hoods and put them to fight you, but they actually used their time to make them behave like assassins. They hide, and you actually have to search for them in the bushes with your own eyes, have the logic to see that if they're close, but not in bushes or blended, they're in the haystacks, have the attention to look at the rooftops when starting to hear the whispers. If you don't use eagle vision, hell, it's even more tense. I remember when I was going to kill a stalker watching from a rooftop and another one came out of the haystack behind the first one, stopping me from doing it. And if you don't pay attention, get attacked by surprise and, consequently, end up not countering their assassination, you're almost done for. You're left with so little life that a potential combat becomes much more defensive. That, if you don't get killed. They're a different enemy, and more dangerous. So while there are repeats of most of ACIV elements, and removal of some (like diving), AC Rogue holds it's own ground and place with elements that are exclusive to it, and make it special. Like the recruits made brotherhood special.

The setting. Every AC is special because it has it's own setting, that's what makes this franchise have the potential to have as much games as it wants (only with quality, of course). But oooh god, those forests, the north atlantic and it's snow and loneliness. It's such a beautiful enviroment to look at. And it affects the way you play it. ACIV, with it's caribbean setting, didn't have so many trees on it's missions, and they weren't that tall when in good number. If I recall, the stealth is much more present with bushes and big plants. Here in Rogue, I actually used the tree running in a way much closer to the one I always wanted in AC3: To stalk, to watch the area while undetected, to assassinate.

And the plot is amazing. It allows you to see the ambiguity on the assassin's and templar's causes, it connects the previous games in a way that actually makes the ENTIRE series more alive. And holy sh*t, that ending. I was expecting that kind of epic conclusion scene since revelation, but Rogue just made me want to clap it and shout "F*ck yea!" this is what I'm talking about!". Not that I don't like unsettling, dark or calm, subtle endings (like AC IV, which I also like a lot); I love them too. But I love the kind of closure that was given me in Rogue so much as well! I could turn off the console with a clean, paid off mind.

Anyway, this was simple, but it's enough to explain why this game really got a place in my heart. It exceeded my expectations too much, and the team that developed it should be proud of themselves. Truly. I only missed two things: Side assassination missions and more crowd to blend with. I know he's a templar now, but precisely because of his assassin skills, he's a special templar. The order should use them to have him eliminate certain assassins or targets related to their cause. The design of the interception missions are great, but I'm talking about one or two targets, with an entire enviroment and behavior set for them. About the crowd, well, the blending system is working just as it should, you get in between some people and you're hidden, all that they need to place there for it to work is a bigger number of people and make the fast walk return so we can push them gently. In the party assassination, there should be more people walking around the party, for example. maybe unity used it better, but I haven't played it yet.

So, basically, thanks for AC Rogue, Ubisoft, because, even though it's not the best it could have been (nothing in this world ever is), you did it pretty ******* right.

Kimyftw
11-24-2014, 11:16 PM
More Shay games please ubi!!! I love to play as a templar. Just sad the redcoats attacked me even if i was on their side

lukazdragon
11-24-2014, 11:22 PM
More Shay games please ubi!!! I love to play as a templar. Just sad the redcoats attacked me even if i was on their side

That's because some redcoat soldiers probably don't even know about shay's existance :/

Rafe Harwood
11-24-2014, 11:40 PM
I have to say I'm another who loved Rogue.

Very good game.

The only thing is the finality of it for old gen. No multiplayer and nothing in initiates (that we know of yet).

All I can say is those who are giving Unity grief, play Rogue instead. You'll love it ;)

ModernWaffle
11-24-2014, 11:58 PM
I sometimes feel disappointed thinking what the game could of been (i.e. more Templar gameplay implementation and a longer story), but that aside, I had a blast with Rogue. Introduction of Shay, who is definitely within my top two protagonists of the AC series and just an expansion of Black Flag, which was already great. No more eavesdropping or tailing missions or swimming sections, which was the only real bad parts of BF IMO, so kudos for Ubisoft addressing those things.

However, going by what Harwood said, I kinda feel Rogue is only a half developed game, despite its actual quality being top-notch. I know Ubisoft had Unity to focus on as well this year, but considering BF had a longer story, more new gameplay features added, roughly the same amount of side activities and a multiplayer, it seems wrong for Rogue to priced as the same as BF.

MontrossXGMR
11-25-2014, 01:08 AM
I REALLY hope Shay plays a big role in the next Assassins Creed game. He is my new favorite protagonist of Assassins Creed games

Ubisoft has a lot of potential with Shay to further develop him in the series.

Arno/Shay confrontation in the future? I hope so

lukazdragon
11-25-2014, 01:19 AM
I sometimes feel disappointed thinking what the game could of been (i.e. more Templar gameplay implementation and a longer story), but that aside, I had a blast with Rogue. Introduction of Shay, who is definitely within my top two protagonists of the AC series and just an expansion of Black Flag, which was already great. No more eavesdropping or tailing missions or swimming sections, which was the only real bad parts of BF IMO, so kudos for Ubisoft addressing those things.

However, going by what Harwood said, I kinda feel Rogue is only a half developed game, despite its actual quality being top-notch. I know Ubisoft had Unity to focus on as well this year, but considering BF had a longer story, more new gameplay features added, roughly the same amount of side activities and a multiplayer, it seems wrong for Rogue to priced as the same as BF.

You know, I like tailing and eavesdroping, but I think this is the problem:
*The execution: Things like having to keep targets constantly on your sight and other mechanics make them frustrating. If done right, they can be fun for those who like the feeling of being a shadow who can "hear and see everything" without the enemies even knowing about their plans being discovered.
*The implemention: you don't like them, for example, so I would make them optional missions for "information gathering" about the assassination tactics (like you searched for information on AC1) rather than main missions.

Rafe Harwood
11-25-2014, 01:27 AM
If I had to say some negatives...

The naval wanted level dropping mid combat and at other silly times is a bit daft and annoying

The story could be longer but there is loads of other stuff to do and all the needed parts of the story were there so I can overlook that.

The last thing I can mention that I have not done yet because I don't like using cheats, is the achievements that require the use of cheats? wtf is that all about??

lukazdragon
11-25-2014, 01:58 AM
If I had to say some negatives...

The naval wanted level dropping mid combat and at other silly times is a bit daft and annoying

The story could be longer but there is loads of other stuff to do and all the needed parts of the story were there so I can overlook that.

The last thing I can mention that I have not done yet because I don't like using cheats, is the achievements that require the use of cheats? wtf is that all about??

What do you mean by the wanted level thing?

Rafe Harwood
11-25-2014, 02:13 AM
When doing the naval combat, you increase your wanted level and the hunter ships start coming after you.

It seems that in Rogue, the maximum level (I have managed to get to) is a lvl 3 wanted level. In BF you could go to 4 or 5.

When you got to the higher wanted levels in BF, that was when you got the decent level hunter ships coming after you, which were the best ones to add to your fleet. In Rogue, it seem impossible to find the high level ship versions as the wanted level is reduced so darn quickly grr lol

lukazdragon
11-26-2014, 12:26 AM
When doing the naval combat, you increase your wanted level and the hunter ships start coming after you.

It seems that in Rogue, the maximum level (I have managed to get to) is a lvl 3 wanted level. In BF you could go to 4 or 5.

When you got to the higher wanted levels in BF, that was when you got the decent level hunter ships coming after you, which were the best ones to add to your fleet. In Rogue, it seem impossible to find the high level ship versions as the wanted level is reduced so darn quickly grr lol

Hm... I didn't realized that consequence, since I don't use that strategy, but I agree with you. The previous ways to lower the notoriety were good enough.

Fatal-Feit
11-26-2014, 02:04 AM
I couldn't agree more. Rogue was a delightful treat, if only the PC version was sooner.

Despite the many problems and controversy, this have been one hell of a year for AC. I'm having a blast with both titles. :)