PDA

View Full Version : Unity first impression

Ygdrasel
11-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Played some of it at a relative's over the weekend and...It's certainly nowhere near as awful as everyone kept saying. PRO CON LIST TIME, WOOOOO!

Pros
- I like French architecture
- Crowds look great
- Climbing seems very improved, and much more fun as a result.
- DEDICATED CROUCH BUTTON
- Stealth is actually a challenge, not just whistling then stabbing from cover
- (Relatively) extensive character customization
- I like the various blades
- Disguise is really entertaining.

Cons
- Ubisoft still sticking to the "NO YOU CAN'T KILL CIVILIANS!" bit. Look, Ubisoft, you're a game studio, not a moral guardian. Just let me murder people, alright?
- Lack of a 'gentle push' button makes navigating those great crowds difficult, as well as leading to the bizarre sight of people just robotically shifting out of the way.
- Had a few moments of frame rate crashing to the ground but nothing that made it unplayable
- Too many French people are British. Aren't you based in France, Ubisoft? This was stupid. Stop that.
- "Play companion app to unlock..." - Companion apps are garbage. GTA tried it and it sucked. Nobody turns on a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE to play on their IPHONE.
- "You need to play the companion app to open this chest..."
- "Play Initiates to unlock..."
- Removing the hidden blade as a melee weapon was a lousy idea. At the very least, it should be equippable for assassinations. As-is, I move in for a kill only for the 'assassinate' button to switch over to 'draw weapon' in a split second because the guy took a step away and it screws everything up.
- Everyone hates lockpicking games. Stop it.
- No mini-games yet. I like mini-games.
- Disguise is nonsensical and goofy. We're playing a guy who's basically in The Matrix, so it could work on that level...But we're also playing Arno. Arno doesn't just magically transform into other people, right? He's not an alien.
- I'm playing a French guy.
- I'm not playing an Irishman

All in all, some issues (some not even remotely serious, like those last two cons) but still a good game. Hardly deserving of the absolute mauling it seems to be getting, I think. Though Arno does kind of seem like just an uglier version of Ezio. "Oh, look at me, sneaking around to meet chicks and witnessing a murder conspiracy that ends with me wanted by authorities!" And somehow he magically knows what Templars are when talking to Elise after the jail break...I mean, he was probably taught about it during the time skip but it wasn't handled well if so.

I'm still on the fence about the combat. 3 borrowed from the Arkham games and thus had a great system. This one, eh...It's better than waiting ages to counter everything but the enemies still put up a pretty lousy fight. Just parry then hack into them. Also, the 'knock out' button does nothing at all. Arno basically hugs the air behind the target. That's not knocking them out. But the enemies don't kindly take turns anymore so that's great. Stats being tied to gear is iffy though. Customization is ideal when it's only cosmetic.

A lot of people miss the 'whistle' button. It was fun but I say good riddance. Made stealth and luring all entirely too easy. Having to pop out and risk being caught to draw them over makes stealth more of a challenge. And as far as microtransactions...Anything over $2 is not "micro" and frankly, even $2 might be pushing it. If the prices weren't utter ******** though, I wouldn't have an issue. I won't be using them either way. And I'm not yet sure what, if any, effect the 'Enemies will remember you after a conflict' thing has on anything.

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2014, 09:59 PM
You keep pulling out the weapon because you're holding down the button to assassinate instead of just pressing it. "That's stupid. Stop that."

Ygdrasel
11-24-2014, 10:07 PM
You keep pulling out the weapon because you're holding down the button to assassinate instead of just pressing it. "That's stupid. Stop that."

Right...Except for the part where I just press the button and that still happens. That's what makes it a con.

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Another con: Blood looks terrible. Like bright red paint. Am I playing a graphic novel or something? And areas where it soaks into the cloth just plant this weird black splotch surrounded by bright red. It doesn't look like blood. It looks like maybe Arno pissed off the old French equivalent of PETA.

Rafe Harwood
11-26-2014, 09:06 AM
microtransactions?

pirate1802
11-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Dunno which one is more sad... that you think the absence of freedom to murder civilians is a con, or your thinking this has something to do with morality..

The simple answer is that you can't do this because you're an Assassin, and remember the Assassin's three creeds? Yeah, those. If you want to go the murdering way, maybe you should try Rogue, which features a templar protagonist and hence, you have the ability to freely murderize the populace (as I've heard.)

Dev_Anj
11-26-2014, 10:42 AM
The whole franchise has been based off the idea that you're replaying memories of assassins based on three tenets. In order for your playing to act as an abstraction for what the assassins actually did, they put certain limits like not killing civilians, dying off heights, dying from many cuts etc. In gameplay terms, the whole reason they don't let you kill innocents is because it doesn't help much in most missions or while travelling around(it mostly helped only with the beggars and mad people of AC 1, and the musicians of AC 2, AC:B, AC:R whom you can punch anyway), and because it can mess up the blending systems. Sure, people stop hiding you when they see something violent happen, but if you get into a hiding crowd and silently kill off some of the people there, at which point should they stop blending you? Particularly since Unity has huge crowds for blending.

ze_topazio
11-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Dunno which one is more sad... that you think the absence of freedom to murder civilians is a con, or your thinking this has something to do with morality..

The simple answer is that you can't do this because you're an Assassin, and remember the Assassin's three creeds? Yeah, those. If you want to go the murdering way, maybe you should try Rogue, which features a templar protagonist and hence, you have the ability to freely murderize the populace (as I've heard.)

Yup, you can kill civilians in Rogue, but kill too many and bounty hunters will come after you and those guys are probably the hardest and most vicious enemies I ever encountered in an AC game.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 02:02 PM
A lot of people miss the 'whistle' button. It was fun but I say good riddance. Made stealth and luring all entirely too easy. Having to pop out and risk being caught to draw them over makes stealth more of a challenge..

That would be great, if it worked consistently. The problem is, if you pop out, enemies may slowly get mildly curious, then you pop into cover and they do nothing, so cover is useless. Or they may go right to "kill mode" and you can't pop into cover at all. The only time it works is if they go the middle route and choose to investigate fully, which happens too rarely and arbitrarily for the player to use it skillfully. If it worked consistently - if you could use skill to make it happen, then it would be fine, but then it would also be open to criticism since it would be too easy. It's a catch-22.

The way it works now, in terms of risking being seen to draw them out, works fine if you don't care if the guards get crazy or not, so if you have a health/stealth armor build, it's fine. The problem is if you're fully committed to stealth, because with no consistent way to get guards to a hide spot, there is no way to play the stealth game, and this game was supposed to reward stealth - that was one of the things they made something of a big deal about pre-release.

Yes, whistling made it too easy to lure guards, but luring guards is always going to be too easy if there's a lure feature. The alternative is no lure feature and therefore no use for hide spots. A core feature of AC is hide spots, so they're never going away. And hide spots need lures that work consistently, not arbitrarily.

Having said that, I believe they fixed the bug with firecracker lures that prevented them from luring guards. So there is now a lure that works (except if I recall correctly you can't throw them from hide spots). The problem is, firecrackers are no less "gamey" than whistling - in fact they're more unrealistic. A real guard would go to full alert mode if he saw or heard firecrackers. What the game needs is some subtle thing that makes a guard investigate but wouldn't put him into full alert mode. Whistling did that.

Personally, I think they went with firecracker lures because they had a lovely new graphics engine to play with on a more powerful system, so they wanted to add as much graphically complex stuff to the game as possible, even if it makes no sense. Whistles involve no graphics and don't show off the physics engine, whereas firecrackers look cool.

Apart from this issue, I agree with your comments entirely.

Ygdrasel
11-27-2014, 01:27 AM

I think you maybe need medication if such trivial things bring sadness to you... :confused:

That answer would make sense, except you were an Assassin in 1, 2, Brotherhood and Revelations and had no such restriction. And you're not even technically an Assassin anymore, you're some Abstergo worker inside a big VR game.

Another con: Dead guards look like they're being tickled and Arno spazzes out in some kind of weird stroke when killed. Whoever had the job of death animations really dropped the ball...

Rafe Harwood
11-27-2014, 01:38 AM
I think you maybe need medication if such trivial things bring sadness to you... :confused:

That answer would make sense, except you were an Assassin in 1, 2, Brotherhood and Revelations and had no such restriction. And you're not even technically an Assassin anymore, you're some Abstergo worker inside a big VR game.

Another con: Dead guards look like they're being tickled and Arno spazzes out in some kind of weird stroke when killed. Whoever had the job of death animations really dropped the ball...

You were not an assassin in 1 and 2, you were a captive of Abstergo, working inside a big VR game ;)

The assassin tenets 'should' apply to the charecters you become, whose lives you live. That's why 'desynchronisation' exists.

Dev_Anj
11-27-2014, 02:04 AM

No, you had those restrictions in 1,2 B and R as well. In AC 1, you lost health for killing any civilian till you completed the game. In 2, B and R, you couldn't kill more than two civilians without de synchronizing. I can't see how they were free from those restrictions.