PDA

View Full Version : So, has ANYONE here solved all the Nostradamus riddles alone?

LoyalACFan
11-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Man, I've done a few of them, but the harder ones are friggin insane. I don't even know what district to go to for half of them.

Shahkulu101
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
No. Unfortunately I don't have a masters in French literature. I don't know how these insane people had guides out like 3 days after release.

Zwooooosh (remember him and his AC2 vids) must be some sort of intellectual prodigy.

Farlander1991
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
So far I've completed two Nostradamus Enigmas from the district with Notre Dame.

For the first Enigma where the first riddle is "between justice and law" I thought I had to go to Palais de Justice and search for it there, but as it turned out it was absolutely the wrong guess. The next riddles with Notre Dame I figured out it's Notre Dame, but needed help finding them (third one with arch in particular).

Then there was an Enigma that started in the cemetery (or the first riddle in cemetery). I pride myself on completing two out of three riddles without any help, lol. The third one I had the right general idea of looking for a church between Saint Chapelle and Notre Dame, but again needed a guide for an exact location.

But yeah, if those are the easy ones...

Shahkulu101
11-24-2014, 04:30 PM
It's good that this game treats you like a capable human being, but I'm afraid Sir Amancio overestimated our intelligence.

LSquare
11-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I have solved 6 of them so far. I've had to use google on a couple and peek at a guide on one. Some of them aren't easy. But I don't mind having to google, it has caused me to research and learn about new topics.

Chook1980
11-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I got through about half of them very slowly and my head started to hurt... So i pulled up a guide :D

Farlander1991
11-24-2014, 05:05 PM
It's good that this game treats you like a capable human being, but I'm afraid Sir Amancio overestimated our intelligence.

Well, it's not a matter of intelligence, IMO, but of knowledge - two different things. It's not like we're not able to figure out what the riddles talk about - when we know of the things they talk about.

Actually something like the database theoretically should help a lot (I think that was their goal, for people to figure things out via the database), the problem is, however, that in the database you've got things only that you've seen or been to, which means that you may encounter a riddle that's impossible to deduce from the database because you simply haven't visited the required location yet.

wvstolzing
11-24-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm trying to do them solo. Strangely enough, I found a couple of the 'difficult' ones a lot easier than the supposedly easy ones.

I'm playing in French, so that slows me down quite a bit (my French is a bit rusty) ----- but as others have remarked, it's good exercise; I get to look up/relearn lots of words, and the challenge is definitely a plus.

(Especially considering that with a couple of upgrades, my Arno ---- who has just started Sequence 4 ----- is already as deadly as Connor as a war machine. So, combat-wise the rest of the adventure will likely be a bore.)

ps. Yes, the database is full of hints.

Shahkulu101
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
IMO they should have just went with the 'find the six keys which all happen to be in locations ripe for platforming' structure and tied Nostradamus into it somehow.

Some things never get old.

ACfan443
11-24-2014, 06:30 PM
The supposedly easy ones presented quite a challenge, I dread to think what it'll be like solving the more difficult ones without referring to some guide or walkthrough.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-24-2014, 07:10 PM
I've done three with no help whatsoever, and another couple with only getting help for one clue. But yeah, they're very difficult.

wvstolzing
11-24-2014, 10:19 PM
The supposedly easy ones presented quite a challenge, I dread to think what it'll be like solving the more difficult ones without referring to some guide or walkthrough.

I found some of the 'supposedly difficult' ones easier than the 'supposedly easy' ones ---- I guess the person who gave them those labels has a weird sense of humor.

By the way, it's possible to do ALL of them, without even reading the riddles: With enough time to roam the city, you can just go around listening for the weird chimes and the glowing symbols, and do it that way. Defeats the purpose of the riddles, of course, but that's one way of unlocking the keys to Carneillon's outfit.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-24-2014, 10:31 PM
By the way, it's possible to do ALL of them, without even reading the riddles: With enough time to roam the city, you can just go around listening for the weird chimes and the glowing symbols, and do it that way...

It would take forever, because (unless I've missed something) you can only do one symbol at a time and only in the given order.

Lethalla
11-25-2014, 12:15 AM
I've considered keeping notes of locations where I've found some that I haven't actually started yet... probably I should do that. Eg there's one next to the fountain behind the Hopital de Salpiere (sp?)
and another halfway across the bridge that leads directly to the Bourbon Palace.

I solved one alone then got help with the second, but then got confused as to where precisely I was supposed to look: for the very first one the riddles are relatively close together so that made me wonder whether I should be looking close by, not-so-close-by but in the same district or further afield.
Then after looking and looking and looking I gave up on the third and cheated. But now that I know the riddles may not be all that close-by, I'm going to try and solve the others without cheating.

One of my friends lives in Paris; he said that his knowledge of his city helped him solve many of them. Obviously few of us would have that. But, I'll be checking the database more thoroughly now.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 12:25 AM
I've been trying to do them all without cheating. What I've found is that the clues in each of the 18 puzzles usually (but not always) stay in the same part of the city and each clue is often visible from the last clue (sometimes you have to climb the nearest building to see it). Also, sometimes a quick look at the map can help, as many of the riddles refer to buildings and squares that have a point of interest marker on the map that opens a database entry that can clue you in.

I've found that I'm actually able to solve around 3 out of every 4 of the 18 puzzles without cheating if I just focus on the words in the riddle and try to see if I can match it either to something in the visible neighborhood or some nearby map location.

Xstantin
11-25-2014, 01:10 AM
Finished all of them. It took me some time, but some of them were fun. "Jupiter" took me the longest to figure out even though the game lists it as one of the easier ones.

Lethalla
11-25-2014, 01:11 AM
I've been trying to do them all without cheating. What I've found is that the clues in each of the 18 puzzles usually (but not always) stay in the same part of the city and each clue is often visible from the last clue (sometimes you have to climb the nearest building to see it). Also, sometimes a quick look at the map can help, as many of the riddles refer to buildings and squares that have a point of interest marker on the map that opens a database entry that can clue you in.

I've found that I'm actually able to solve around 3 out of every 4 of the 18 puzzles without cheating if I just focus on the words in the riddle and try to see if I can match it either to something in the visible neighborhood or some nearby map location.

I think I've been taking them TOO literally - eg "a bridge facing south"... well, all the bridges run the same way in-game, and the only glyph I found on a nearby bridge was for another riddle. And the actual location of the riddle solution wasn't ACTUALLY a bridge per se but I guess one could call it such. Oh and for that one, there's no way you could see the second from the first's location, or the third from the second one... but I promise I'll try harder!

Tysodie
11-25-2014, 01:30 AM
Only did 2-3 of the 18 on my own, couldn't really be bothered honestly.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 01:33 AM
...Oh and for that one, there's no way you could see the second from the first's location, or the third from the second one... but I promise I'll try harder!

That's why I said "often". Often doesn't mean always. ;)

rprkjj
11-25-2014, 05:25 AM
I think I've only been able to do 2 riddles by myself. I can usually infer what the riddles mean but I don't have the patience or the focus to solve them myself. Now I just try for a minute or so to find one before defering to a guide. Tbh I prefer glyphs.

The_Kiwi_
11-25-2014, 07:40 AM
I have an IQ of 145
I excel in spatial reasoning and problem solving
But I looked at a hard one, and just thought **** that
Ubisoft must have hired Stephen Hawking on adrenaline to write them

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 02:15 PM
I have an IQ of 145
I excel in spatial reasoning and problem solving
But I looked at a hard one, and just thought **** that
Ubisoft must have hired Stephen Hawking on adrenaline to write them

Maybe you just don't like doing this kind of puzzle, or maybe it's the language part that's stalling you. They are hard, but I don't find them terribly hard, and my IQ is not quite as high as yours. I found some earlier AC puzzles more challenging than these. The difficulty I found with these - more an annoyance really - is in traipsing all around town to get to the next glyph. That's what nearly made me say "**** this".

The_Kiwi_
11-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Language isn't a problem
Maybe I gave up too easy :p
I'd have another go but I'm too busy, it'll have to be later

LoyalACFan
11-26-2014, 12:37 AM
I think I've only been able to do 2 riddles by myself. I can usually infer what the riddles mean but I don't have the patience or the focus to solve them myself. Now I just try for a minute or so to find one before defering to a guide. Tbh I prefer glyphs.

I think the perfect balance would be a mix of both; maybe a specified area/landmark to search on like in AC2/Brotherhood, but with a little riddle to narrow it down. Instead of just a riddle that could point anywhere in the city.