PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft expanding AC brand to very young children via Megablox toys

D.I.D.
11-24-2014, 03:43 PM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-11-20-ubisoft-wants-to-expand-assassins-creed-audience-to-kids

This does not bode well.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--wP_VvOUI--/q7haneslqv5oky1wzarm.jpg

SixKeys
11-24-2014, 03:46 PM
This explains so much.

LoyalACFan
11-24-2014, 03:47 PM
http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA2LzEyLzczL1NuYXBlLmFjZDUzLmdpZgpwCXRodW 1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/8de162dc/c6b/Snape.gif

TheIronLotus420
11-24-2014, 03:48 PM
I've been saying this. THIS is what loyal fans should be most worried about...

LoyalACFan
11-24-2014, 03:56 PM
I've been saying this. THIS is what loyal fans should be most worried about...

I'm not even really concerned about the series being dumbed down or "kiddified" so much as I'm irritated that they're trying to push merchandise based on gruesomely murdering people onto toddlers. A ****ing three-year-old has no business having anything to do with a franchise about stabbing dudes in the face.

SixKeys
11-24-2014, 04:01 PM
This is hardly anything new. They made a Rambo cartoon in the 80s, FFS.

I-Like-Pie45
11-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Yes, but Rambo is an 'MERICAN and as thus made a great promotion of 'MERICAN values to 'MERICAN children in the 'MERICAN presidency era of values in the 80s unlike Assassin's Creed 3 which slandered the bloodless prestige of 'MERICAN accomplishments in the war of 'MERICAN freedom and as such does not make a great promotional tool of 'MERICAN' values to children .

LoyalACFan
11-24-2014, 04:09 PM

Rambo wasn't actually that violent when it first started though. There was one fistfight, a helicopter crash, and a car chase in the first movie, that was it. Pretty sure only one guy died, and it was an accidental fatality of the chopper crash. It was just a movie about a vet coming home and getting treated like crap by society. I'd let my (hypothetical) kid watch it, no question. It wasn't until the sequels when things started getting stupid and Rambo went from this...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkJUq-u7JYJ4FHG0pABXV_fcGasszrHAG-WxU-K7rncI_FSAdVnA

To this...

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Rambo-art.jpg

RzaRecta357
11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Heh you guys are actually worrying about this? They hired some people to make them toys... Big Whoop!

TwentyGlyphs
11-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Idiocy: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D.I.D.
11-24-2014, 04:13 PM

Yes, and Aliens toys too, which raised eyebrows at the time (and still does). The difference is that Rambo toys didn't change what the Rambo films would be allowed to be. They were a spin-off from a time when a toy, a t-shirt or a snack was big business but still a separate product, and the modern march of a unified brand strategy was neither necessary or possible.

I mean, sure, theoretically LotR has killing and works as a sanitised version for kids, and the same can be said of Star Wars. The lean of the stories is similar. However, you can't do that for Hitman, for example. You can't make Lego Splinter Cell. So how do you handle Assassin's Creed so that it can accommodate kids' toys? You lock into it into Star Wars-esque epic stories, romances that aren't relationships, saga over setting. You don't allow it to become a overly accurate portrayal of the world it hints at, or use it to explore moral concepts beyond "slavery is bad", or venture outside of heroism. And maybe you take a pro-royal stand on the French Revolution, a revolution of enormous on-going cultural importance to the development of modern left wing politics, and don't celebrate the intellectual subversion in revolutions because corporations don't like them. Maybe you restrict your brief positive commentary on revolution to the inarguable issue of freedom, which is a nebulous and malleable concept particularly popular with the western right, so you don't step on anyone's toes.

pacmanate
11-24-2014, 04:22 PM
This makes no sense.

They are exposing people to the franchise. These kids will want 18+ games.

And we cant still say the rude word for poo

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2014, 06:32 PM
The boxes for these say "Collector Series" and aren't necessarily meant for children.

I'm not sure the problem. I'm an adult and I collect action figures and love Legos.

Could it just be that adult fans also want Assassin's Creed "Legos?" Because I know I want them.

In addition, there are already "Knight" and "Pirate" Lego. A brand name attached to a franchise doesn't really change anything, except that it will attract more people interested in Assassin's Creed, not children themselves.

Being collectors editions, I doubt they'll be in brick and mortar stores like Walmart or Target.

ShadoeKat
11-24-2014, 07:16 PM
This is nothing major, they make Call of Duty Mega Bloks along with Halo, World of WarCraft. I think there's killing in most of those also. They make Nightmare on Elm Street figures, Walking Dead figures all this is listed as collectors or for mature audiences. If the parents don't bother to monitor toys for their kids... much like many don't monitor Mature video game ratings this is just seen as what it is... merchandise to make money. It's the real world folks, Ubisoft is a business, not a charity. Running a business like Ubisoft doesn't take money to keep employees, programmers, servers etc. The real world. IMHO

LoyalACFan
11-24-2014, 07:25 PM
This is nothing major, they make Call of Duty Mega Bloks along with Halo, World of WarCraft. I think there's killing in most of those also. They make Nightmare on Elm Street figures, Walking Dead figures all this is listed as collectors or for mature audiences. If the parents don't bother to monitor toys for their kids... much like many don't monitor Mature video game ratings this is just seen as what it is... merchandise to make money. It's the real world folks, Ubisoft is a business, not a charity. Running a business like Ubisoft doesn't take money to keep employees, programmers, servers etc. The real world. IMHO

IMO it just feeds back into the negative perception that video games are for kids. "Oh, there's a Lego set for it, it must be a kid thing." I feel like most parents pay NO attention to the ESRB system whatsoever. I personally know a cousin of mine let her six-year-old son download The Wolf Among Us against my advice, because "oh, it's a cartoon game." Yeah, well, have fun explaining all those sex crimes to little Billy, idiot. Not like you weren't warned.

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2014, 07:58 PM
I let my 8 year old son play Assassin's Creed 2, but in truth he mainly just enjoyed riding horses and attacking guards.

He did beat Revelations however, on his own, from beginning to end.

king-hailz
11-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I guess they're right... assassins creed is building itself as a franchise to way more than just games which explains a lot in terms of the games themselves...

hi2ukindsir
11-24-2014, 08:10 PM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-11-20-ubisoft-wants-to-expand-assassins-creed-audience-to-kids

This does not bode well.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--wP_VvOUI--/q7haneslqv5oky1wzarm.jpg

Lets be honest, it will ship in time for Christmas, but will be plagued with issues.

First, the weapons don't quite fit properly in their hands. Also the legs of the assassin wont move.

I know it only comes with 4 guards to kill, but it also comes with 300 feathers/cockades you can place around your house for the assassin to run around and collect.

In order to be able to actually use the 'gate' that comes with it, you'll have to download the companion app with premium, but it wont sync properly.

On a plus side, it'll have a website that gives bonus rewards if you collect all the character sets. However no matter how many times you check, the website doesn't recognize that you've already purchased and played with all the sets.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-24-2014, 08:34 PM
People are too sensitive about kids and play violence. Young kids are often obsessed with death and murder. I remember my daughter, at age 4, used to make up stories about characters in Thomas the Tank Engine, and her stories often ended in a phrase that she used so much that I still remember it 7 years later - it was "...and all his blood came out. The end."

So I'm not all that concerned with kiddies getting into Assassin's Creed. What I am concerned about is Ubisoft dumbing down the games so they appeal more to kids. I mean, Assassin's Creed plots are so simple that they already seem to be aimed at adult drooling morons, so I definitely won't be looking forward to games that are aimed at 5 year-old drooling morons.

ze_topazio
11-24-2014, 08:41 PM
I would watch an Assassin's Creed cartoon.

TheIronLotus420
11-24-2014, 08:42 PM
People are too sensitive about kids and play violence. Young kids are often obsessed with death and murder. I remember my daughter, at age 4, used to make up stories about characters in Thomas the Tank Engine, and her stories often ended in a phrase that she used so much that I still remember it 7 years later - it was "...and all his blood came out. The end."

So I'm not all that concerned with kiddies getting into Assassin's Creed. What I am concerned about is Ubisoft dumbing down the games so they appeal more to kids. I mean, Assassin's Creed plots are so simple that they already seem to be aimed at adult drooling morons, so I definitely won't be looking forward to games that are aimed at 5 year-old drooling morons.

OMG lmaoo that is just too funny!

But to your second point, yes, that's my main concern with it. The whole series seems watered down already, I can't imagine it more so.

Ygdrasel
11-24-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm not even really concerned about the series being dumbed down or "kiddified" so much as I'm irritated that they're trying to push merchandise based on gruesomely murdering people onto toddlers. A ****ing three-year-old has no business having anything to do with a franchise about stabbing dudes in the face.

Oh, boo hoo...

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2014, 09:16 PM

This is coming from the guy who thought AC2 had any kind of love story between Ezio and Cristina, or in the Brotherhood DLC for that matter.

I'm fairly sure some of those "five year old drooling morons" can ascertain the difference between a love story and whatever Ezio and Cristina had.

SanityAgathion
11-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Cruelty and violence was present in stories told to kids since ... forever. Fairy tales ... chop all 7 dragon heads, witch in ginger bread house that put kids to an oven after they were well fed and grown, cut belly of wolf in Red Riding Hood ... and we survived.

But compared to pirates,cops, LOTR and other brands, those already have established "kid's" or "cartoony" version in other media. AssCreed will need to create child-friendly image first. I personally see it a bit counter-productive to market brand to kids 8+ where only other media you have is a game rated M.

Ontopic: I guess the jokes about finding your figs one floor below because they fell through the floor, faceless figs and downloading and printing their skins are getting pretty old by now :)

hood3dassassin5
11-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Next is the hidden blade baby rattle, and the ezio shaped pancakes :rolleyes:

Pr0metheus 1962
11-24-2014, 10:17 PM
I'd go for Abstergo logo shaped cookies with red, yellow and blue frosting.

ShadoeKat
11-25-2014, 03:40 PM
If everyone has so many problems with it, just don't buy it for your kids. Parents have not learned to say NO to their children and then teach them why? Instead we blame a company for our own stupidity in raising our children. That's some of the problem these days with children, some grow up to expecting no one to say no to them and expecting everything from the world. No one is forcing a parent to buy it. And if somehow the kid comes home with it, the parents feel they can't take it back or taking it away? They are children, they need to learn about things being wrong or right etc. Sheesh, such a big deal over AC toys which really are not much worse than little green army men, or all the guns that kids can play with. Or all the violence on TV or all the kids who think zombies are cool... which are already dead people running around eating other live people and are killed by people with axes, chainsaws...

Journey93
11-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Where is this series going?
Greedy Ubisoft strikes yet again

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 04:53 PM
If everyone has so many problems with it, just don't buy it for your kids....

I think you're missing the more important point, which is that selling the brand to kids will tend to make the developers more restricted in terms of the franchise's adult themes.

Mr_Shade
11-25-2014, 05:01 PM
I think you're missing the more important point, which is that selling the brand to kids will tend to make the developers more restricted in terms of the franchise's adult themes.

I don't think it's affected other games - like Halo or Call of Duty - so I don't expect it will AC ;)

These sets are more for adult collectors etc, since youngsters might not pick these over other sets, such as pirates - and to be honest, kids will be kids and play with them in many ways - and might not know the origin of the sets ;)

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't think it's affected other games - like Halo or Call of Duty - so I don't expect it will AC ;)

Not sure about Halo, but Call of Duty definitely has become more childish since CoD4. Also, unlike CoD, Assassin's Creed usually has sexual content (which was noticeably absent from Unity - I wonder why? ;) )

Mr_Shade
11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Not sure about Halo, but Call of Duty definitely has become more childish since CoD4. Also, unlike CoD, Assassin's Creed usually has sexual content (which was noticeably absent from Unity - I wonder why? ;) )

If that was the case - that AC is becoming less 'adult' focused - it wouldn't still be an 18's only by law still ;)

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 07:15 PM
If that was the case - that AC is becoming less 'adult' focused - it wouldn't still be an 18's only by law still ;) No one here is arguing that this has already happened, but rather that it might soon happen.

Mr_Shade
11-25-2014, 07:18 PM
No one here is arguing that this has already happened, but rather that it might soon happen.

Thought you were hinting that things have already changed in AC - that was what my post was addressing ;)

Assassin's Creed usually has sexual content (which was noticeably absent from Unity - I wonder why? ;) )

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Thought you were hinting that things have already changed in AC - that was what my post was addressing ;)

Well, AC1 had no sexual content either. Anyway, absence of sexual content alone is not enough to change a rating. All I was saying is that it was not a good sign.

mikeyf1999
11-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Really?
Cod 5 wasn't really childish
Cod 6 you commit a terrorist act
Cod 7 You're player character is brainwashed to kill the president (and the ending implies that he could've been involved)
Cod 8 shows another terrorist act (you even see the death of a child)
Cod 9 shows the murder of a child and her brother's hatred for the west growing further and the some Of the multiple endings are definitely dark
Not sure about cod 10 or 11

The_Kiwi_
11-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Breaking Bad toys were made recently
Protesting parents had them pulled off shelves even though they were only ever in the adult section of toy stores
The toys even had duffel bags of blue meth and money

But this is so much worse
These are targeting children
Ubisoft is officially more money hungry than EA

And I completely agree with LoyalACFan
Kids with these toys will want to play the games, and ignorant parents will get them not understanding what it is
Non-romantic sexual promiscuity and self-righteous violence are not themes that children should be exposed to, and these toys are the gateway drugs

mikeyf1999
11-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Breaking Bad toys were made recently
Protesting parents had them pulled off shelves even though they were only ever in the adult section of toy stores
The toys even had duffel bags of blue meth and money

But this is so much worse
These are targeting children

And I completely agree with LoyalACFan
Kids with these toys will want to play the games, and ignorant parents will get them not understanding what it is
Non-romantic sexual promiscuity and self-righteous violence are not themes that children should be exposed to, and these toys are the gateway drugs

You're saying this as if EA are the only ones who target children
Also, you're saying this as if these children already haven't been exposed to it
There are FAR worse games than this
Far cry 3
GTA V
Mortal Kombat
Among other thingd

The_Kiwi_
11-25-2014, 10:54 PM
You're saying this as if EA are the only ones who target children
Also, you're saying this as if these children already haven't been exposed to it
There are FAR worse games than this
Far cry 3
GTA V
Mortal Kombat
Among other thingd

That is completely irrelevant
It will continue to be irrelevant as long as there are no mainstream children's merchandise based upon those franchises

mikeyf1999
11-25-2014, 11:04 PM
That is completely irrelevant
It will continue to be irrelevant as long as there are no mainstream children's merchandise based upon those franchises
You're flat out missing my point
My point: you're making it seem as if kids haven't already been exposed to this content
They have, and far worse content at that

The_Kiwi_
11-25-2014, 11:20 PM
You're flat out missing my point
My point: you're making it seem as if kids haven't already been exposed to this content
They have, and far worse content at that

You're flat out missing the point of this thread
These toys are inducting innocent children into an extremely mature franchise
Just so Ubisoft can make a quick buck

ze_topazio
11-26-2014, 12:20 AM
Kids are already playing Assassin's Creed.

The_Kiwi_
11-26-2014, 12:37 AM

It's upsetting
The sociologist in me is crying

LoyalACFan
11-26-2014, 12:41 AM

And that should be discouraged, not encouraged.

Fatal-Feit
11-26-2014, 01:58 AM
If these toys weren't so bootlegged-looking, I may have bought a few. Couldn't give a damn about the age shenanigans, only that no exclusives were locked behind these toys like the McFarlane figures. Thank god.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 02:07 AM
And that should be discouraged, not encouraged.

Why? Studies show violent videogames improve hand-eye co-ordination and problem-solving, and there is no evidence whatsoever that they have any negative effects on children's behavior.

You might want to give Grand Theft Childhood (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Childhood-Surprising-Violent/dp/1451631707/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416964112&sr=1-1&keywords=grand+theft+childhood) a read.

The_Kiwi_
11-26-2014, 02:13 AM
Why? Studies show violent videogames improve hand-eye co-ordination and problem-solving, and there is no evidence whatsoever that they have any negative effects on children's behavior.

You might want to give Grand Theft Childhood (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Childhood-Surprising-Violent/dp/1451631707/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416964112&sr=1-1&keywords=grand+theft+childhood) a read.

No double blind study
No acceptable control group
Not a real study
Any game could improve coordination
It doesn't have to be violent
Which is something that a worthwhile study would explore

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 02:52 AM
Oh dear god, not the children, SOMEBODY think of the INNOCENT CHILDREN...

SixKeys
11-26-2014, 04:04 AM
If you guys are totally okay with toddlers playing these games, why do you think the games currently have a +18 rating? No reason?

Kids are also exposed to porn earlier and earlier these days. Does that mean we should start broadcasting porn on daytime Nickelodeon?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 04:16 AM
No double blind study
No acceptable control group
Not a real study
Any game could improve coordination
It doesn't have to be violent
Which is something that a worthwhile study would explore

There have been no studies such as you suggest that have proven anything either way. So I don't see why we should just automatically assume that violent video games hurt kids. Kids have been playing violent games for centuries, yet it only became an issue when they started doing it on the TV. Let's face facts - it's a witch hunt, just the same as the comic book scare of the 1950s.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 04:20 AM
If you guys are totally okay with toddlers playing these games, why do you think the games currently have a +18 rating? No reason?

Sure there's a reason. Video gaming is a niche activity and people are afraid of things they don't understand. People running for government office get elected much more easily if they can play on those fears.

But by all means go on thinking that violent videogames harm kids. No skin off my nose. It's always good to be reminded that people are not too far removed from witch burnings.

rprkjj
11-26-2014, 04:52 AM
I actually think this is kind of cool. There could be sets based off historical landmarks we've seen in the games, which I think is a cool way to get kids to learn about history, by building real places. I don't care if the games are gory, since these are just clean toys. Should've been Lego though.

Edit: Also, I'm perfectly fine with 7 year olds playing AC. I played GTA when I was younger, the only noticeable effect being that I have fond memories of it. I might be alone in that but I think videogame graphics and real life are easily discernable even for a child that young.

mikeyf1999
11-26-2014, 05:22 AM

Kids are also exposed to porn earlier and earlier these days. Does that mean we should start broadcasting porn on daytime Nickelodeon?
Kids have been playing 18+ games for a LONG while now (myself included, played gta 3 back when I was 6-7)
So no I don't care what kids play

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 05:42 AM

Because people complained about THE CHILDREN and a spoonfeeding rating system was forced into place to supplement for crap parenting.

Children aren't braindead little idiots. They can handle this stuff if somebody provides context and knowledge instead of letting the flashy screen babysit 24/7.

The_Kiwi_
11-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Exposure to mature content, even when given context, can cause personality traits like narcissism and egotistical tendencies
Google it
I'd be happy to provide a link, but I'm on my phone while riding a train
Anyone who thinks mature video games don't affect children are sadly misinformed
Ratings exist for a reason

Psychological article published by a credible source about why violent games are bad for children (http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201011/playing-violent-video-games-good-or-bad)

rprkjj
11-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Exposure to mature content, even when given context, can cause personality traits like narcissism and egotistical tendencies
Google it
I'd be happy to provide a link, but I'm on my phone while riding a train
Anyone who thinks mature video games don't affect children are sadly misinformed
Ratings exist for a reason

Psychological article published by a credible source about why violent games are bad for children (http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201011/playing-violent-video-games-good-or-bad)

I didn't see any actual study that had taken place in that article. It looks like they just boiled down games to their basic components and said this = bad, just because. Also no mention of the effects of also giving the child context from what I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The_Kiwi_
11-26-2014, 09:00 PM
I didn't see any actual study that had taken place in that article. It looks like they just boiled down games to their basic components and said this = bad, just because. Also no mention of the effects of also giving the child context from what I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Each of their claims has a reference note to it, showing the source of the claim
Just click them

cawatrooper9
11-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Honestly, I'd much rather my kid (if I had one) play Assassins Creed than GTA or COD- which, as any online player would know, are games that are often played by kids that are far too young.

The_Kiwi_
11-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Honestly, I'd much rather my kid (if I had one) play Assassins Creed than GTA or COD- which, as any online player would know, are games that are often played by kids that are far too young.

I suppose I agree, that would be the best of a bad lot
But IMO, any parent that allows their child to play GTA should be ashamed, and any parent that knows how bad GTA is and still allows their child to play GTA, should not be parents

You may think it's extreme, but I know I'm not alone in this

rprkjj
11-26-2014, 11:29 PM
I suppose I agree, that would be the best of a bad lot
But IMO, any parent that allows their child to play GTA should be ashamed, and any parent that knows how bad GTA is and still allows their child to play GTA, should not be parents

You may think it's extreme, but I know I'm not alone in this

You know being a parent isn't about being your kids' thought police.

The_Kiwi_
11-26-2014, 11:43 PM
You know being a parent isn't about being your kids' thought police.

It is up until a certain age
And in any case, not exposing your children to overly mature content has little to do with thought policing

rprkjj
11-26-2014, 11:53 PM
It is up until a certain age
And in any case, not exposing your children to overly mature content has little to do with thought policing

Not really. You can't just mold children to be what you want by not giving them a chance to think about things themselves. I mean, you can, but then you're just being a nazi.

The_Kiwi_
11-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Not really. You can't just mold children to be what you want by not giving them a chance to think about things themselves. I mean, you can, but then you're just being a nazi.

Then go ahead and let your young children play Grand Theft Auto, I can't stop you
Tell me how it turns out

This is one of my fields of study, and I know for a fact that mature games can have a great negative impact on children

The_Kiwi_
11-27-2014, 12:33 AM
I think everyone here should have a look at something I think is called the bobo doll experiment
I don't know if it was published online but it shows that children that witness violence, exhibit violence
It's very interesting
I'll try and find it, but I am at work

Here (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment) is a summation of it on Wikipedia
I couldn't find the original study

rprkjj
11-27-2014, 01:30 AM
Then go ahead and let your young children play Grand Theft Auto, I can't stop you
Tell me how it turns out

This is one of my fields of study, and I know for a fact that mature games can have a great negative impact on children

Sure they can, but can't most things? It's about giving them a chance.

The_Kiwi_
11-27-2014, 01:55 AM
Sure they can, but can't most things? It's about giving them a chance.

That's like saying "here little 6yo Billy, come play Saw: The Game. I know it'll probably give you nightmares, but let's give you a chance"

rprkjj
11-27-2014, 03:42 AM
That's like saying "here little 6yo Billy, come play Saw: The Game. I know it'll probably give you nightmares, but let's give you a chance"

I wouldn't force it on them, so that analogy doesn't really work.

The_Kiwi_
11-27-2014, 05:30 AM
I wouldn't force it on them, so that analogy doesn't really work.

That doesn't nullify my analogy, as the hypothetical parent isn't forcing Billy to play Saw.

And it still doesn't change the fact that parents are supposed to be controlling what young children are exposed to, and not stopping them from accessing mature content is bad parenting

rprkjj
11-27-2014, 06:10 AM
That doesn't nullify my analogy, as the hypothetical parent isn't forcing Billy to play Saw.

And it still doesn't change the fact that parents are supposed to be controlling what young children are exposed to, and not stopping them from accessing mature content is bad parenting

A parent inviting a child to come do something he hasn't done before and has little to no knowledge of has the same difference. The kids not gonna say no, and the parent, knowing this, makes the call to invite him. Forcing isn't accurate though, my bad.

And of course you're supposed to be protecting kids from exposure to certain things, but thoughts are not one of them.