PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rate UPDATE

tomtj24
11-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Through extensive testing on several different computers in all hardware levels and various settings for graphics I have noticed that the framerates aren't affected by crowd sizes but by the rendering of buildings mainlu inside buildings I have noticed that outside the palace framerate with several hundred people is around 24-30fps average but the moment I went inside any building the frame rate dropped to 15-19fps average it seems as though the issue is the rendering of the buildings themselves and not crowds or external environment inside notre dame fpr example the average framerates were 18 fps but outside facing away from notre dame was 27 fps when you turn to face notre dame the framerate drops to 20 fps while the program adjusts. and its worse if you are trying to free run from outside to inside or vise versa or manipulating the camera heavily, which is basically centered all about free running the program could actually freeze for a moment while trying to turn or jump and rotating the camera leading to confusion as to the direction you are running which is a big issue when following someone/ in fact the more detail a building has inside the worse the initial frame rate is while the rendering processor tries to catch up,
the two maxed systems I worked with were one intel and one amd both with either 3 amd cards or 3 NVidia cards both systems at least 6 cores with 16 gb ddr3 memory at 2400mhz on ASUS ROG boards

Edeniuss
11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah I noticed it too. I use Fraps to show my FPS. When I enter a building like hotel, the fps drops to 18-20. Then it gets back to 30-40 when I leave the interior.

I-o-IPositive7
11-24-2014, 09:26 AM
And now look at the sky 60-100 FPS

jeffies04
11-24-2014, 10:14 AM
I suspected as much.

I love being able to go in so many buildings. I would like to see it again in a future game so I hope they can better optimize the interiors.

HypeR.tgL
11-24-2014, 11:25 AM
This is true, the interiors are detailed, huge and have heaps of miscellaneous assets, there's just so much to be processed as well as the outside of the interior. I have a GTX 970 and I can get as low as 22 fps, one time I hit 16 fps, this was at Palais de Luxembourg, which is probably the largest interiors in the game, this was when I was looking outside and inside at the same time.

I pretty much did the same tests as you did OP, I for one knew that it wasn't the crowds to begin with as the crowds work by swapping NPC models around with others as you distance your self from others and get closer to others, hence the changing models(This was in an interview with the lead crowd designer I recall) which saves a lot of memory and it's an efficient way of getting such scale of crowds on all SKUs.

I'm hopeful the next AC will be better in terms of this, maybe their engineers will magically find something that just works so much better than the current solution.

jeffies04
11-25-2014, 12:43 PM
I've set up mine with game v-sync off, v-sync forced on for nvidia settings (not adaptive) and I capped my frame rate at 30. Side note, 30 is still very acceptable for me, but I do appreciate games that do not impose a hard cap. It really makes a difference for me and reduces stutter. I still get some hiccuping to 28-29, but it's a lot less interruption than say a 5 FPS drop from 45 to 40.

I'm sure if I dropped textures down I could get rid of that 1-2 FPS dip that happens once in a while, but I love the ultra textures.