PDA

View Full Version : So you actually can't 100% complete the game without grinding the companion app

Neon-NFO
11-23-2014, 01:23 AM
So, I would have liked to say I have finished the game, but.... you can't actually finish it 100% without using the companion app.

http://i.imgur.com/FIt4aq7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qh0jJa7.jpg

This is really not acceptable Ubi, you have to finish multiple "missions" which can take 36 hours(!) to complete to actually 100% the game. It's ridiculous.

SixKeys
11-23-2014, 01:32 AM
That's just bollocks. What about the people who don't have a tablet or smartphone? Companion apps should be a bonus, not a requirement.

ze_topazio
11-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Welcome to the future of gaming, next gen starts here.

THe.NoMaD
11-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Yea I noticed this a few days ago. Ubisoft will learn too late what a bad idea it is to have all this **** tied together.

Assassin_M
11-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Did you like AC II, OP? or ACB?

Neon-NFO
11-23-2014, 02:05 AM
Did you like AC II, OP? or ACB?

Not really, and if you're asking that question I can only assume....- y hello tharrrr ;)

Assassin_M
11-23-2014, 02:09 AM
Not really, and if you're asking that question I can only assume....- y hello tharrrr ;)
Well, I was going to be a smartass and say "Well, hurr durr, OP, if you liked AC II and ACB, then why didn't you complain about how you can't 100% either without the preorder DLC? If people complained about it earlier, we wouldnt be in this mess such hypocrite, much fanboyizm" but, well, I'll leave that alone now

Neon-NFO
11-23-2014, 02:11 AM
Well, I was going to be a smartass and say "Well, hurr durr, OP, if you liked AC II and ACB, then why didn't you complain about how you can't 100% either without the preorder DLC? If people complained about it earlier, we wouldnt be in this mess such hypocrite, much fanboyizm" but, well, I'll leave that alone now

I actually played all AC games on PC, so the DLC stuff was already in the game when I bought it. ;)

Assassin_M
11-23-2014, 02:12 AM
I actually played all AC games on PC, so the DLC stuff was already in the game when I bought it. ;)
Lucky dawg

ace3001
11-23-2014, 02:59 AM

Only AC II. AC B's extra stuff didn't count towards 100%.

AC II's two Templar lairs and Auditore Family Crypt weren't available in the initially released base game, even on PC. The Deluxe Edition sold on Steam, however, has everything.

Assassin_M
11-23-2014, 02:59 AM
Only AC II. AC B's extra stuff didn't count towards 100%.
No? man, my memory is slipping.

Neon-NFO
11-23-2014, 10:27 AM
AC II's two Templar lairs and Auditore Family Crypt weren't available in the initially released base game, even on PC. The Deluxe Edition sold on Steam, however, has everything.

Yeah, I bought the Deluxe Edition on Steam on release, so I got everything.

Jackdaw951
11-23-2014, 01:56 PM
That's just bollocks. What about the people who don't have a tablet or smartphone? Companion apps should be a bonus, not a requirement.

Such a great word, "bollocks". I wish it had made it across the Atlantic.

No smartphone here. No tablet here. No companion app here. No game completion here.

Dissatisfaction here. Future suspicion about all Ubisoft products here. No preorders ever here.

LoyalACFan
11-23-2014, 02:01 PM
They need to just stop their companion app/Initiates BS altogether. I don't think anyone actually enjoys it, do they? They just grind it to unlock crap in the game. I have neither a smartphone, nor an Initiates account, nor a particular desire to beat Unity to 100%, so it looks like my percentage ratio will stay firm in the low seventies.

ace3001
11-23-2014, 02:21 PM
They need to just stop their companion app/Initiates BS altogether. I don't think anyone actually enjoys it, do they? They just grind it to unlock crap in the game. I have neither a smartphone, nor an Initiates account, nor a particular desire to beat Unity to 100%, so it looks like my percentage ratio will stay firm in the low seventies.

Mine's still in the forties. After Black Flag's pointless chest collecting all over the naval map, I've had it with 100%-ing AC games.

SenseHomunculus
11-23-2014, 04:01 PM
So, I would have liked to say I have finished the game, but.... you can't actually finish it 100% without using the companion app.

This is really not acceptable Ubi, you have to finish multiple "missions" which can take 36 hours(!) to complete to actually 100% the game. It's ridiculous.

I'm not asking this to be a smartarse, I'm really wondering... why is 100% so important? I mean, you don't actually "get" anything (like wonderful cash prizes) for doing so. Personally, I never worried about getting 100% on any of the previous AC games, and always wondered why people let it practically ruin a game if they couldn't for whatever reason achieve 100%. Is it an OCD thing?

Fatal-Feit
11-23-2014, 04:32 PM

And Uplay, however, everyone are still missing the Verizon bonus dye, IIRC.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100827204103/assassinscreed/images/5/5e/Bonus_Skin_AC.jpg

wvstolzing
11-23-2014, 04:50 PM
The 'app' is available on Windows 8.1 (all versions; desktop pcs included), through the microsoft store.

Sushiglutton
11-23-2014, 04:58 PM
This is BS and those who came up with this should feel ashamed of themselves.

wvstolzing
11-23-2014, 05:51 PM
The Nomad missions are no different than the various sorts of 'away missions' we've had since Brotherhood; and the glyph puzzles are actually fun. No reason why either of those couldn't be in the main game.

I have a hard time guessing why they went the 'app route'; there must be something *extra* in it, for them. Could it be all about the $1.99 'premium version'? I doubt it.

TheIronLotus420
11-23-2014, 06:26 PM
OP, would you mind telling me what the first and last bars are under the paris stories section? In my game they are greyed out and non-selectable.

A1Gamester
11-24-2014, 12:19 AM
AH NO!! This is ******** ubisoft!! Initiates is a joke! Companion app is a joke! and your company is on the way to become one too!

joeyhayes
11-24-2014, 03:07 AM
The Nomad missions are no different than the various sorts of 'away missions' we've had since Brotherhood; and the glyph puzzles are actually fun. No reason why either of those couldn't be in the main game.

I have a hard time guessing why they went the 'app route'; there must be something *extra* in it, for them. Could it be all about the $1.99 'premium version'? I doubt it.

Its about the micro transactions present in the app. The app is designed to take ages to unlock stuff on purpose, because you can pay a fee to get more assassins to go on more missions and unlock stuff faster.

Its ****ing disgraceful. You pay your $60, you should be able to access all content.

ChipFoamy
11-24-2014, 04:18 AM
OP, would you mind telling me what the first and last bars are under the paris stories section? In my game they are greyed out and non-selectable.

I only need the last bar, I have no idea what that one is.

wvstolzing
11-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Its about the micro transactions present in the app. The app is designed to take ages to unlock stuff on purpose, because you can pay a fee to get more assassins to go on more missions and unlock stuff faster.

Its ****ing disgraceful. You pay your $60, you should be able to access all content.

Yes, but with the app, it's a one-time fee to get more assassins (the 'premium version'); all the bovine excrement of microtransactions take place in-game. You don't actually spend the 'helix coins', or whatever, in the *app*.

So it's not really a vehicle for microtransactions.

Mathias_Borealis
11-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Companion app being a requirement for completion ruins the game but at this point i guess ubisoft developing this game ruins it because every choice they do is just based on creating new necessities for the player like paying 1 and half euro more for a damn app you need to have to play a 69,99 euro game. I always play games for completion, and if i like the series i even try to follow it on multi platform but putting a came completion based on a buggy internet site, a buggy app and a buggy game... It's too much

Also i want to know who's having a bit of fun using this app, just s bit... Because i'm not. Look at the difference, shadow of mordor companion app is practically a wiki with your statistics in game, it's not a requirement just an accessory and i've it installed for pleasure, the AC companion app is here on my phone just because i've to..

SolidSage
11-24-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm just playing it to unlock a hood, but I can't do that because it won't link to my game. Not a bad app but I'm not into the recruit side games.

ace3001
11-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Yes, but with the app, it's a one-time fee to get more assassins (the 'premium version'); all the bovine excrement of microtransactions take place in-game. You don't actually spend the 'helix coins', or whatever, in the *app*.

The microtransactions don't even matter. There's nothing in the game that you need helix credits to buy, so if you pay for those instead of using in-game money and creed points to get unlocks, you only have yourself to blame.
Companion app is a different matter altogether. If it was a simple few minutes thing like "install this app and connect your account to unlock these", I still wouldn't mind. But this actually requires that you invest a lot of time in it, all for very little payoff.

SquareToShoot
11-24-2014, 12:25 PM
They really do need to just go away with the initiates and companion app stuff and burn it all. Initiates is a crapfest and has inexplicably dropped me down to level 2 from level 6 for no reason. And the companion app just doesn't friggin work because it says I have no assassins available to even complete the first training missions...

It's a joke really.

pacmanate
11-24-2014, 12:50 PM
This is ridiculous! Alex said all the companion and initiates stuff didn't count towards 100%.

My phone crashes every 2 mins on this damn app and even then I have to wait like 10 hours ever time I sent some Assassins off.

What.Is.The.Point.

Stupid ****ing design. Whoever thought of this needs to be fired.

wvstolzing
11-24-2014, 12:54 PM
The microtransactions don't even matter. There's nothing in the game that you need helix credits to buy, so if you pay for those instead of using in-game money and creed points to get unlocks, you only have yourself to blame.

Yeah, absolutely. In fact, in-game *regular currency* hardly matters.

Once you finish the Café Théatre missions, you begin to amass money that you can't even spend, because you've already bought everything (at least everything interesting). It's AC2 & ACB all over again, with free money, and nothing to buy with it, after a relatively brief slope uphill.

I think those helix coin packages were designed for people who might have decided *prematurely* (after maybe a couple of hours of play), that it would be difficult to make money in the game.

pacmanate
11-24-2014, 01:07 PM
I got 200 Helix Credits for finishing the game - Used this for the chests maps

Then I got another 200 Helix Credits for Free for Uplay rewards (didnt cost me any points) - Used them for the Paris Stories.

You dont actually need to buy helix credits. You get 400 for free and thats more than enough for the time saver packs as the other 2 are pointless. I just dont want to run around trying to find 70 paris stories

Pr0metheus 1962
11-24-2014, 01:59 PM
So, I would have liked to say I have finished the game, but.... you can't actually finish it 100% without using the companion app...

Yet another reason to say, as I've said on a number of occasions since I purchased Unity, "F*** you Ubisoft!"

I don't mind the Initiates stuff - IF they would ever get it to work - at least the Initiates requirements are all completed inside the game (as far as I know), and at least it doesn't count towards 100% completion (again, as far as I know). But the Companion stuff - that definitely has to be uncoupled from the 100% completion thing.

joeyhayes
11-25-2014, 12:22 AM

I'd say the fee for the premium version of the app is a microtransaction. Sure, it's one-time - but still a microtransaction that you absolutely should not need to consider when trying to get the most out of a full price triple A game you've just purchased. Disgraceful.

I don't mind the Initiates stuff - IF they would ever get it to work - at least the Initiates requirements are all completed inside the game (as far as I know), and at least it doesn't count towards 100% completion (again, as far as I know). But the Companion stuff - that definitely has to be uncoupled from the 100% completion thing.

Isn't there a trophy for collecting every chest in the game? With a good number of those being 'initiate chests' that can only be opened once you've achieved a particular level on AC initiates?

KG_NOx
11-25-2014, 12:44 AM
This is ridiculous! Alex said all the companion and initiates stuff didn't count towards 100%.

My phone crashes every 2 mins on this damn app and even then I have to wait like 10 hours ever time I sent some Assassins off.

What.Is.The.Point.

Stupid ****ing design. Whoever thought of this needs to be fired.

Vicent Pontbriand

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 12:56 AM
I'm having trouble even seeing the glyphs on the buildings in the companion app, and my vision is 20/20. I'm guessing that people with less than perfect eyesight are screwed.

joeyhayes
11-25-2014, 01:36 AM
This guy has all the glyph puzzle solutions up bar 1 or 2 I think -> https://www.youtube.com/user/Dwire

Wulfwin
11-25-2014, 05:26 AM
I'd say the fee for the premium version of the app is a microtransaction. Sure, it's one-time - but still a microtransaction that you absolutely should not need to consider when trying to get the most out of a full price triple A game you've just purchased. Disgraceful.

Isn't there a trophy for collecting every chest in the game? With a good number of those being 'initiate chests' that can only be opened once you've achieved a particular level on AC initiates?

The trophy you're thinking of, Curiosity, doesn't count Initiate or Nomad chests. I got the trophy a couple days ago, and I was still missing a couple initiate chests and a bunch of nomad chests.

GolfPro72
11-25-2014, 11:32 AM
The trophy you're thinking of, Curiosity, doesn't count Initiate or Nomad chests. I got the trophy a couple days ago, and I was still missing a couple initiate chests and a bunch of nomad chests.

Precisely. This is more a case of OCD than anything that's linked to actual accomplishments in the game. I would be up in arms as well if there was some sort of external component that was a requirement for achievements/trophies, but there isn't. All of them can be earned through regular campaign/co-op gameplay.

So far as I'm concerned, if you get everything you can in the game and finish off all of the tasks/missions/objectives within those confines, the game is 100% complete, regardless of what the stats screen says. I'm not going to waste my time hunting down chests that by and large don't offer anything of value (except for the outfits I suppose). But different strokes for different folks I guess.

Omegatr0n
11-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I've been using the companion app a lot and have completed a lot of missions, the app tells me that i have unlocked several chest ingame and that i can pick em up through Unity or it will be collected within 24 hours by companion app.

Though none of the above happens for me, I cant open the chest ingame and i dont get any rewards with the app. The chests stay in Unity unopened.

When playing the game and launcing the app i get a message ingame that the app has been linked. So it seems its working but it isnt.

Does anyone know whats going on or what i can do to open those chests?

thanks!

Jackdaw951
11-25-2014, 05:04 PM
If they gave me an option to hide all the yellow and blue chests in the map, I'd agree that the complaints are strictly OCD.

wickywoowoo
11-25-2014, 05:23 PM
I popped into Initiates every now and then just to see if it had anything but linking that and an app shouldn't be mandatory to get 100% on a game. I've only ever got 100% on three games in my life and two of those were Walking Dead where just completing the story achieves it but people like it and shouldn't be forced into buying a phone/tablet and an app to complete a game they already own.

joeyhayes
11-26-2014, 02:17 AM

For real? Thanks, thats good news! Silly me, thinking 'all chests' might actually mean 'all chests' lol

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 05:48 AM
Is it really such a big deal that you can't see "100%" in some menu that you'll probably never look at after achieving said 100%?

A map option to hide things requiring those would be nice though.

ChipFoamy
11-26-2014, 04:51 PM
So under the paris stories sync bars (the middle section) what is the far right bar? It's the only one I don't have done and it's leaving me at 95% done for that middle section?

GoldenBoy9999
11-26-2014, 05:23 PM
The companion app is absolutely freaking horrible. There's a one time fee and the rest is you wasting your time. I HATE this business model. As soon as I get done with this one thing I'm trying to accomplish in the app, I'm going to start a big thread on my experiences.

nzBlustone
11-26-2014, 09:17 PM
I liked the black flag companion app because it let you do something that you could do in the game when you were away from your game (but with your smart device).

This unity companion app is a complete separate entity which I don't like, but I am still forcing myself through it because 100% completion is important to my enjoyment.

EmptyCrustacean
11-26-2014, 11:12 PM
EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out.
Companion App is stupid! They got it so right with the Kenway's Fleet Missions last year. Forcing gamers to use smart phones when the entire point is that you play these things on a console shows that Ubisoft don't know what they're doing.

EmptyCrustacean
11-26-2014, 11:15 PM
The companion app is absolutely freaking horrible. There's a one time fee and the rest is you wasting your time. I HATE this business model. As soon as I get done with this one thing I'm trying to accomplish in the app, I'm going to start a big thread on my experiences.

No, there isn't.

Jackdaw951
11-26-2014, 11:36 PM
EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out.
Companion App is stupid! They got it so right with the Kenway's Fleet Missions last year. Forcing gamers to use smart phones when the entire point is that you play these things on a console shows that Ubisoft don't know what they're doing.

Absolutely. They could at least also implement it on the systems running the game! The XONE can snap an app so that it displays to the right of the game screen, or can be hidden at any time. The PC . . . well, obviously anything is possible there. I can't say about the PS4, but I'm going to assume it too can run an app concurrently with the game. This would solve most of the issues. Those who like to use phones or tablets for this can keep their remote access and 2nd screen, and the rest of us can actually still play the entire game we paid for.

Atlanta Chrome
12-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Hi,
Don't buy their Helix credit packs, don't buy their DLC packs...hell don't buy their games any more. This is the only way Ubisoft will learn. I don't want a companion app either. So I can't complete the game to 100%. Utter rubbish. Time saver packs don't work & the game has crashed five times on the last two missions.
Thanks.
P.S buy Dragon age Inquisition instead.
Thanks